Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media The Official Pokémon Thread

Odyssey

I've been playing through HeartGold for the past few days and just took out Clair. That shit was so hard! Typhlosion was level 41, sure, but everybody else was either 36 (my Espeon), or 33 (my Crobat and Ampharos). The ultimate goal is to catch best Legendary and teach her Defog, then transfer her up. Easier said than done, because, y'know, rolling perfect IVs on a Legendary in any non-gen VI game is probably going to be quite cancerous. That, and I don't have a timid Synchronizer yet.

In the meantime, I was trying to catch Raikou. I'm pretty sure I was about to contract some other terminal disease from how horrible it is to track it. I've wasted a fast ball, eight quick balls, and an ultra ball while it was sitting in the red and paralyzed, and that was over the span of three hours.

Edited by Lateon

My favourite Pokémon...that's a tough call, but Ampharos is always a solid choice for me! It's cute, strong, and can learn a lot of cool moves like signal beam. :D

And now it even has a fabulous mega-evolution.

tumblr_mx7d6a0dzN1t4u7wwo1_500.gif

By the way...

what's everyone's favourite Pokémon AMV?

I've been looking for a good one.

As for my favourite Pokémon type, that's a real toughie, too. Electric is cool, but so is Grass, and Ghost, and Water, and Normal...and all the rest.

TBH, I have a lot of Normal types on my teams. Maybe I'll go with that for now. :)

Edited by AmberDust

I do like Ampharos. I never used its Mega Evolution yet but I do hear it's pretty good. There are a whole bunch of mega evolutions from both X/Y and OR/AS that I've yet to try out.

How do you guys like OR/AS' mega evolutions, by the way?

So recently I started watching TwitchPlaysPokemon live on Twitch and I think I am hooked. I can't stop watching. :o seeing the different Pokemon teams and how they fair is really entertaining, it is one of those things that can rekindle my love for this series. :catface:

I had to say that, I think I am addicted to this stream. :P

So recently I started watching TwitchPlaysPokemon live on Twitch and I think I am hooked. I can't stop watching. :o seeing the different Pokemon teams and how they fair is really entertaining, it is one of those things that can rekindle my love for this series. :catface:

I had to say that, I think I am addicted to this stream. :P

Ah yes, Twitch Plays Pokémon. I still remember when there were hundreds of thousands of people playing it. Even the most basic things took hours  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

In response to the OP's prompting, I have a few favorite Pokemon, most of them fighting types.

Gallade: Everything about this pokemon rings so true with me. "A master of courtesy and swordsmanship" the Pokedex says. My kind of guy. He just evokes the image of a knight so well. I would imagine him and I agreeing on many things beyond battle. Almost like the relationship between a knight and his squire, although which one is which might switch often.

Lucario: Similar to the above but also because I was introduced to him via the movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, I like his characterization in that. I also like the species' connection to aura, something that I hope Lucario would, conversely to the movie, be able to teach me.

Samurott: I love the samurai motif of this pokemon. The fact that it's weapons are called "Seamitars" is cool, and it creates a nice contrast to Greninja. They missed a golden opportunity in not making Samurott a fighting type, because then he would be Greninja's weakness!

. . . . Yeah I don't like ninja or dark types.   >_>

The entire Honedge line: As you might be able to tell from the avatar image of my ponysona, "I like swords." The sight of a Pokemon that is a sword filled me with delight. The fact that it sucks the soul out of anyone trying to wield it doesn't deter me!   -_- I think it's mainly that it will do so to those it decides are unworthy to wield it. So on top of using it for traditional battles, the fact that I could carry my Pokemon partner in a scabbard and use it to defend myself in conjunction with my martial arts skills would be amazing!

Makuhita/Hariyama:

My first true fighting type way back during sapphire version. This beast of a pokemon has ever since been a reoccurring companion of mine. I'm drawn to him just as much out of comfort with the big guy's company as well as for his raw physical might to contrast my more technical fighter pokemon.

They missed a golden opportunity in not making Samurott a fighting type, because then he would be Greninja's weakness!

. . . . Yeah I don't like ninja or dark types.   >_>

Well, there's Chesnaught, which has two different type advantages over Greninja (Grass beats Water, Fighting beats Dark).

• Brohoof 1

Well, there's Chesnaught, which has two different type advantages over Greninja (Grass beats Water, Fighting beats Dark).

Actually he was the starter I picked for a reason. The OP was specifically referring to "favorite" Pokemon though and as much affection I admittedly have for my knight individually, the species as a whole would not rank amongst my personal preference. (They're still cool though in my mind.)

While I'm responding, here's something I like to ask fellow Pokemon fans, if you were in the world of Pokemon, born and raised, what would you do? There's lots of ways people interact with pokemon and the world after all. Would you be a pokemon researcher, or a gym leader, or one of those various trainer archetypes you run into in the games, etc.?

If we were in the Pokémon world?

Well, who wouldn't want to be in a world full of 3-foot-tall bees, 62lb butterflies and fish that evolve into octopi?

I would. It's also a world where dreams come true with regularity precisely because of the presence of said creatures.

• Brohoof 1

Why was I never told this was a thread D:

And talking about the pokemon world, let us not forget being at the mercy of animalistic gods that control every aspect of reality, like time and space XD

I would gladly exist at the behest of said divinities. Most of them are benevolent, if temperamental at times. The only one that's even remotely "evil" is Giratina.

So really? Of the fans of this franchise you would not like to live in this world?

Edited by Steel Accord

I probably would. Specifically, I would love to live in Kalos :3 

Why Kalos specifically?

If it means that I can have a pet Floatzel, then yes

Why a Floatzel and why as a pet?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm just curious for both. I have a sincere thought that these games and their mythos are very psychologically revealing. 

• Brohoof 1

I love the way the place looks, as well as the way the people and pokemon there live. Lots of things from many different regions, and some nice culture and Architecture.

And speaking of MD, would probably live in Treasure Town if I could :3  

• Brohoof 1

Because it's my favorite Pokémon, why else?

Why is it your favorite?

Keep in mind as well, not everyone keeps their pokemon as pets. Trainers battle with them, breeders raise them to be adopted later, etc.

I love the way the place looks, as well as the way the people and pokemon there live. Lots of things from many different regions, and some nice culture and Architecture.

Ah see that's what I'm talking about!

I guess I would be more partial to Unova because it's roughly based on my homeland of the United States, and the East Coast at that. (Philly born here.) Really though, I would love to live in any region of the Pokemon World.

Personally, I'd love to be a gym leader. They're a distinct position of respect and most of them focus on a type, of which mine would be fighting. I'd design my gym like a dojo, where I would teach both pokemon and their trainers. I'd look forward to the odd challenger who would fight me personally alongside his Pokemon, like a more controlled environment version of what happens in the magna. 

Why is it your favorite?

Keep in mind as well, not everyone keeps their pokemon as pets. Trainers battle with them, breeders raise them to be adopted later, etc.

1. MVP during gen IV. Pulled me out of a lot of bad spots and beat the most gym leaders.
  2. It's adorable :3
  • Brohoof 1

I would be a Trainer, Traveling around and getting stronger and better as time goes on, Challenging gyms and such.  Not to mention I would get to grow and train alongside my pokemon, which would be cool. Especially if I had a Lucario :3 (( Though I dont think I would want to be like my games, and travel with a Darkrai as well, sleeping would be hell XD ))

• Brohoof 1

I would be a Trainer, Traveling around and getting stronger and better as time goes on, Challenging gyms and such.  Not to mention I would get to grow and train alongside my pokemon, which would be cool. Especially if I had a Lucario :3 (( Though I dont think I would want to be like my games, and travel with a Darkrai as well, sleeping would be hell XD ))

I too would wish for a similar existence, and with a Lucario as well. "You teach me and I teach you and all that." The difference is that I believe such self improvement, for me at least, would come from introspection and guardianship rather than exploration and adventure. To each their own of course, that's what I love about Pokemon, it's all up to you.

I'm not really a huge battler tbh. I know the mechanics and all, but I'd rather trade.

Which is completely legitimate. There are several Pokemon characters from the anime and games that see trading as a kind of sub-culture.

Why does that appeal to you personally? 

• Brohoof 1

Which is completely legitimate. There are several Pokemon characters from the anime and games that see trading as a kind of sub-culture.

Why does that appeal to you personally? 

Well, ain't that the whole point of Pokémon? Trading with each other?

Well, ain't that the whole point of Pokémon? Trading with each other?

I've never been much of a participant of such, the last trade I made was with my brother to beat a gym leader and we traded right back afterwards.

I prefer to keep and train a small handful of pokemon, each reflecting an aspect of myself or an archetype I admire.