Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media The Official Pokémon Thread

Odyssey

Just a thought - I see a lot of people say that Pokémon is running out of ideas when it comes to the character designs. And yet I can't laugh but how ridiculous of an assumption that is. Now, I won't deny that every design Game Freak makes isn't perfect. There are some that I think work very well (Klefki, Mienshao, Vaporeon), but there are others where it's hard to recognise them with a silhouette (Plusle, Minun, Spinda). 

But some fans do need to remember this - Game Freak is not your run-of-the-mill group of fans who make cheap Fakemon. They're a hard-working franchise who always want to please their audience by putting all of their time and effort into creating diversity into their characters. When it comes to creating characters you have to plan out multiple designs until you think of the perfect one. When you'll pitch the idea, Game Freak will decide whether it works in a quirky world like Pokémon or not. This applies to anything else, whether it be a story or a music piece. And contrary to what everybody thinks, they don't ever make hasty desicions when making a character design. Quite the opposite, in fact.

As somebody who's an aspiring character designer, it makes me feel rather sad that so many people are make really nasty comments about Game Freak is "running out of ideas" and defiantly stick to the First Generation. I know they'll run out of ideas one day, but I'd rather be happy with what they make today rather than be incredibly biased about how designs were "good" back in the day.

• Brohoof 3

Just a thought - I see a lot of people say that Pokémon is running out of ideas when it comes to the character designs. And yet I can't laugh but how ridiculous of an assumption that is. Now, I won't deny that every design Game Freak makes isn't perfect. There are some that I think work very well (Klefki, Mienshao, Vaporeon), but there are others where it's hard to recognise them with a silhouette (Plusle, Minun, Spinda). 

But some fans do need to remember this - Game Freak is not your run-of-the-mill group of fans who make cheap Fakemon. They're a hard-working franchise who always want to please their audience by putting all of their time and effort into creating diversity into their characters. When it comes to creating characters you have to plan out multiple designs until you think of the perfect one. When you'll pitch the idea, Game Freak will decide whether it works in a quirky world like Pokémon or not. This applies to anything else, whether it be a story or a music piece. And contrary to what everybody thinks, they don't ever make hasty desicions when making a character design. Quite the opposite, in fact.

As somebody who's an aspiring character designer, it makes me feel rather sad that so many people are make really nasty comments about Game Freak is "running out of ideas" and defiantly stick to the First Generation. I know they'll run out of ideas one day, but I'd rather be happy with what they make today rather than be incredibly biased about how designs were "good" back in the day.

I know what you mean, I haven't seen or read any of those comments but I agree with your point. A design can be creative but it might not work as a pokemon because it still has to work within the setting. It's a balancing act, you want something to be interesting, but if it feels utterly alien to the world it exists in, unless that's the intention it's a bad character design because it clashes.

An example? Digimon! I mean sure they are both "mon" series but imagine seeing MetalGreymon stalking the Kanto region, completely true to his original design.

Metalgreymon.gif

I think it's a good design very "primordial/cyberpunk" but even if you haven't seen the other show, you'd know the instant you laid eyes on him that he was alien to the environment.

• Brohoof 1

I finally got my first shiny in Alpha Sapphire. It was a Yanma. I was super excited, and then I woke up. I kid you not that was my dream and it seemed so real.

The series has never been free of "bad" designs. It's just that people let older, badly-designed Pokémon slide because of nostalgia.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@@Odyssey,

The series has never been free of "bad" designs. It's just that people let older, badly-designed Pokémon slide because of nostalgia.

With that in mind, what's a pokemon or two that you think has a good design, from any generation.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I think every generation has good and "bad" designs. For the latter, does it mean they're running out of ideas? Of course not! There's always going to be good/"bad" designs every generation.

Anyway, to answer your question, I've always liked Haxorus' design. Its reputation with the fandom as a badass helps, and it being based on a dinosaur species also helps.

• Brohoof 1

I'm afraid not. It took me a while to breed the one I have, and I'd rather not repeat the process.

Unless you wanted a breedject male Ralts of mine?

Ah, no problem then, even if I can render any level grind irrelevant with my Blissey bases. The principle problem you'd have to deal with is that I have no Dawn Stone, either, and I don't know where to find them.

I'm a little late I guess... my favorites are Gardevoir and Absol.

As for Gardevoir, it's basically a crush, I remember 12 yr old me writing a fanfic of a Gardevoir falling in love with it's trainer who is in hospital.

Absol is simply badass, I remember it's appearance in Mystery Dungeon 1 and I was simply baffled. It was a very mysterious Pokemon and I fell in love with it as well.

• Brohoof 1

As for Gardevoir, it's basically a crush, I remember 12 yr old me writing a fanfic of a Gardevoir falling in love with it's trainer who is in hospital.

Trust me you are faaaaaaar from the first person to write that story! :lol:  

• Brohoof 1

Trust me you are faaaaaaar from the first person to write that story! :lol:  

But those people I've shared that story with (Other Pokemon fans) thought it was a little overboard xD

I put my heart into it and people thought it was too emotional! Scarred for rest of life... Death Penalty for those people!

Don't look up Gardevoir on Google Images. Just trust me.

I remember a picture of Gardevoir googling herself... it/she (It's a she for me, alright?) was not pleased...

What's funny about the whole Gardevoir fandom is that it was supposed to be based on a knight. Its Japanese name is Sirknight, even.

(edited)

Gardevoir is also one of the better special attackers now, thanks to its mega evolution. Had one on X and it did a great job for me contributing.

I still haven't tried Mega Absol yet but I hear it's okay.

Edit: I'm still confused on the Gardevoir "fandom" myself. I don't get it either... :\

Edited by Magneton

What's funny about the whole Gardevoir fandom is that it was supposed to be based on a knight. Its Japanese name is Sirknight, even.

I think it kind of has the personality down with its loyalty to its trainer, even if Gallade clearly evokes the look more.

But those people I've shared that story with (Other Pokemon fans) thought it was a little overboard xD   I put my heart into it and people thought it was too emotional! Scarred for rest of life... Death Penalty for those people!

Take it from a soon to be professional writer, criticism hurts but it's good for you and your creation. 

I think it kind of has the personality down with its loyalty to its trainer, even if Gallade clearly evokes the look more.

Yeah, Gardevoir's design doesn't really evoke the whole knight thing. I think its personality in Mystery Dungeon didn't help that much in the west either.

Take it from a soon to be professional writer, criticism hurts but it's good for you and your creation. 

Next time I write a story about Gardevoir I'll make sure to let you read it throughly. That being said, it's been 6 years.

Yeah, Gardevoir's design doesn't really evoke the whole knight thing. I think its personality in Mystery Dungeon didn't help that much in the west either.

I didn't really play that so I wouldn't know. How do you mean?

Next time I write a story about Gardevoir I'll make sure to let you read it throughly. That being said, it's been 6 years.

It's not for everyone, but I'd be glad to be a sounding board.

From what I remember, Gardevoir has been a rather loyal Pokemon, even in Mystery Dungeon. From what I remember of a story, the "Knight" Characteristics do apply, especially in Mystery Dungeon. I believe it's been really loyal like a knight would be. What's your issue with the Mystery Dungeon Gardevoir? (I'm reffering to Red/Blue btw, since it's the only one I played in terms of Mystery Dungeon)

I didn't really play that so I wouldn't know. How do you mean?

Basically, a human trainer pulled one of a Ninetails' tails, and as the Ninetails was about to curse the trainer, his Gardevoir took the curse for him. However, the trainer selfishly abandons Gardevoir, and then there's some spoilery stuff but basically Gardevoir has a very motherly, very guides-you-along-the-right-path kinda personality.

• Brohoof 1

Basically, a human trainer pulled one of a Ninetails' tails, and as the Ninetails was about to curse the trainer, his Gardevoir took the curse for him. However, the trainer selfishly abandons Gardevoir, and then there's some spoilery stuff but basically Gardevoir has a very motherly, very guides-you-along-the-right-path kinda personality.

Maybe not conventionally chivalrous but that does display a kind of wisdom and loyalty that still makes a good character.