Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What is your opinion on teenagers?

MysticShine

As a (barely) functioning adult, I remember many of the idiotic things I did and thought as a teen, and wondered how I managed to survive at all.

Here's a bit of wisdom I will share with you.

Watch "wear sunscreen" narrated by Baz Luhrman, on youtube. I could have used this when I was MUCH younger. There is also a PMV version that a fellow Brony put together, both are enjoyable.

Kids, you are young and powerful and FULL of so much potential! Don't let FEAR stop you from becoming something marvelous, or regret will gnaw at your soul until there is nothing left... Trust me on this.

Its probably already been said, you have teenagers of all types, some more pleasant then others. However as a teenager I know that some people you can share a lot in common and can have amazing friendships as they are just like you. Other you want to stay about 5000 miles away from due to being loud, obnoxious, non caring for others or sometimes a combination of all three (and I have seen these people).

I was personally a bit of a tit when I was a teenager. I would get drunk in fields with my friends a lot. I remember getting so drunk I was sick in a bush and then fell in it, that basically sums my teenage years up. I also smoked and I'm only now managing to quit. I was very much an "OMG nobody understands me!!!111" "YOLO" teenager :') 

I wouldn't want to go back and change anything though. I've grown and am who I am because of all that.

Not all teenagers are the same, just like adults. Me saying that all teenagers are like that is untrue.

Edited by Conspiracy.

Well, being a teenager myself, I can't escape judgment. I've done stupid things. I like to think to myself that I've finally matured, but I'm bound to go and do more stupid things.

I don't do drugs, drink alcohol, smoke, or have sex like the crazies in this cesspool, but I'm not a saint. I'm rather introverted, so I don't socialize much.

With that being said, I already have satisfactory work history, so even if I drop out, I'll still be a step ahead of most of these dingleberries.

* i hate kids in general, so my opinions aren't the best. but i think my opinions on most, at least in my country, are that they're usually loud-mouthed and angry. of course, that's the majority in my eyes because i can really say from experience that not all teens are like this, because i certainly wasn't. i was the exact opposite of everything i just stated.

* thing for me though is that when i was a teen, a lot of the others around me, the genuine trouble makers, were very loud and abusive. one group even threw a brick at me and luckily it missed, but that kind of situation has stuck with me to the point i feel super nervous if i'm ever near a group of teens in the street.

Edited by Comic Sans
  • Brohoof 1

Most are immature, hormone-ridden know-it-alls. I say this because i used to be one. That isn't to say this is true to all, there are exceptions in everything.

Most are immature, hormone-ridden know-it-alls. I say this because i used to be one. That isn't to say this is true to all, there are exceptions in everything.

• Brohoof 1

There are some teenagers who act like adults. Likewise, there are plenty of adults who still act like teenagers. With this mind, I actually have a lot of empathy towards teenagers. You are in this awkward stage in your life where you are transitioning from a child to an adult. 

I feel that a lot of adults are too judgmental on teenagers. Of course teens are going to be disobedient and do a lot of dumb things. It's just a part of growing up. We were all teenagers at some point in our lives making the same mistakes. If anything, we adults should be passing down our knowledge to you teens so that you don't make the same mistakes that we made when we were your age  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

The truth is... we are so scared of failure. Especially in this time of global competition for college, jobs and ect. What we do is out of fear.

Speak for yourself.

Anyway, it depends if we're talking about people who are 13-16 or 17-19. I don't think it's fair to compare a 13 year old to a 19 year old. I don't have a strong opinion towards a certain group of people because of their age since everyone is so different, but I feel that most people who are 13-15 are usually really annoying. I don't really think much about other people so I couldn't care less about stuff they do unless it affects me, haha. I mean sure I know some people will regret not "being young" while they are, if you know know what I'm saying, but I've been 13 myself, it's not like they're going to give a shit if I point it out to them.

It really depends on who exactly it is and what their experience was. When I was a teenager, I was the socially awkward, wallflower type. I couldn't really fit in with my friends and I really got more nostalgic for my middle school days. Much of teenage life is defined by high school; I hated high school and couldn't wait to graduate, but got even more disappointed when I found out how hard it was to find a job.

I phased myself into this fandom when I was in my late teens, and I'm sure there are a great many teens in this fandom. There's something about the need for escapism as well as the messages and characters of the show that really appeals to teens. Also, the fandom's focus on self-identity really makes it much more attractive to an age group that's usually subject to a system that's apathetic to individuality as well as the typical clanish behavior of other teen groups.

Many teens are characterized as thinking they're invincible and it's natural behavior to want to rebel from the system the way it is, but the truth is it's one of the most vulnerable times of your life and you need all the help you can get. Thankfully I found some of that, in this fandom and in other places.

• Brohoof 1

I think they've been exposed to too much media and it's just brainwashed them into thinking whatever the general stereotypes these days are. I have to agree that a lot of them are still in a very childish stage of their lives...

Teenagers are emotionally interesting people on many levels!!!!*

*Warning: Blatant bias. It is true, but teenagers can also be TOTAL DICKS. It's really a person-to-person thing, in many ways.

I just don't get emo stuff. I mean, I kinda do, but don't, and it's confusing shutting up now.

"Teenagers scare the living s*** out of me." x3

One particularly bothersome behavior exhibited by some (obviously not all) older teens is the erroneous assumption that you are either an adult or nearly an adult; a complete and competent human being.  Simply because you've managed to not-die X number of years.  That you have your world and yourself figured out; you are a thoroughly developed individual.  You've got the know-how and the tools you need to confront the outside world.  For which you've likely not been prepared in the least by a controlled scholastic environment. x3

Reality disagrees with this mindset.

A teenager who has convinced him- or herself of these things will stumble often and fall harder.  All once-teenagers will change from who they thought they were and had seemingly worked to become.  They will change countless times throughout their lives, and even the things and ideas to which they were most fervently and firmly committed may change.

The truly knowledgeable teenager is the teenager who realizes they know very little.  Their life is still just beginning.  Looking back at myself...

I was something of an intelligent idiot.  Not a very functional combo.

TL;DR It takes a smart person to know how dumb you are. Definitely agree with this mindset. This also reminds me to do a blogpost about how "prideful" behavior is seen in society, but I don't know if that's just my upbringing or whatever.

Mate, I'm 14 and I am fully aware about how good I have it compared to other people in the world :P

I am unable to sympathize. I realize I have it good in some areas, but my life is PRETTY FUCKIN MISERABLE in a variety of ways.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hooligans! They are all hooligans! Haha... nah... I was a teenager myself not too long ago (I'm almost 21) I think that teens now days have way too much pressure on them to fit in, from their families, and society. I feel bad for them! Just remember that your teen years are only a couple years of your life! Wait until you hit 20 and then I promise you'll be in the prime of your life! Just get through it! You can do it!!

Although I'm one myself, most teenagers I know bother me quite a bit. Especially the loud ones who try to get away with everything, aren't appreciate, and just don't even try. Don't even get me started on the ones who complain all the time.

But I know someone out there has bad things to say about me, too. I'm no better than the rest.

• Brohoof 1

A lot of teenagers I know, (Mainly my friends) are quite nice and friendly to be around but of course going through high school... you have the other type of teenagers. The loud, annoying, lazy teenagers who seem to want to argue their way out of everything including school work. Lucky I'm in college now so I'm away from all that XD but when I was at high school, I avoided those type of teenagers.

• 2 months later...
(edited)

As a teen myself, teens can be fun, cool people. A lot of teens seem to have a ''You can't tell me what to do, mom!'' attitude, which I find quite cool or even sexy in some cases. Some teens though, can be really cringey, with their black emo hair and their piercings. I simply see teenagers as people, like you and me.

EDIT: After PE Brony roasted me, my opinion has forcefully changed. This didn't help, did it?

Edited by gamecubeguy214