Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Escape -- Game download

Time Shield

@@Time Shield,

I actually have a Mac in my house.

I could offer to help you test. :please:

Well, I have a second issue as well.  I just upgraded to Unity 5, and the game won't compile anymore, so I have to fix that first.  Thank goodness this happened AFTER release, so I still have a working version...

Not yet.  It's Unity, so I could export to either of those, but I have no way of knowing if it'll work properly since I can't test it myself.

I'm running linux right now, I could help you test it.

Ok, once I get the game compiling again I'll export Mac and Linux versions.  I suppose it doesn't hurt to do so, and there's really no reason it shouldn't work.

My offer to help you test on Mac is always here if you want it.

I mean. Wouldn't it be better to release the game on Mac stably? Or release it on Mac and having it suffer from crashes and stuff right away?

In the meantime, I'm trying to think of a few other things I should tweak while I'm at it.  Unfortunately I can't do much about the issue some people have encountered with keys being pushed through walls (getting them stuck) if it's done just right.  I've also considered contacting emogak (Twilight's VA) and having an additional line recorded to play if a key falls into a pit and becomes unrecoverable (something along the lines of, "Well, that's not coming back..."), if it doesn't break the immersion too much.

Also... (last level spoiler:)

...I was going to adjust it so that the miasma in the final room increases his chase speed over time so that you can't just run around him forever (which at least one person was doing).  It's futile anyway since if you get to that point it's impossible to still beat him, but it's still something the player shouldn't be able to do.

Good news!  I just got it to compile as I was typing this.  Once I do a runthrough to make sure that nothing else broke due to the Unity 5 upgrade, I'll compile mac/linux versions.

I've also considered contacting emogak (Twilight's VA) and having an additional line recorded to play if a key falls into a pit and becomes unrecoverable (something along the lines of, "Well, that's not coming back..."), if it doesn't break the immersion too much.

That sounds like it would be awesome!

I'm just going to say I especially liked it when Twilight would go "Nonononononononononono!" When running away from the big black ball with the purple eyes.

Yeah, that's one of my favorites too.  I watched someone on Twitch playing the game the other day, and when the miasma saw her and started in, she did that line and it got cut off just before the end when it got her.  So it was like, "Nonononono--*WHAM*", which was probably one of the most ideal ways I've heard it play.  :D

I think I just fixed the audio bug.  Will compile and test again.

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly was bugged in the audio?

In Unity 4, audio had to be set as either 2D or 3D.  2D audio plays normally no matter how far you are from it, while 3D audio is affected by distance and direction from the source (so you would play sounds in 2D if you want them to sound the same no matter how things are positioned in the game, which is useful for things like music, or sounds coming from the player).  Unity 5 doesn't have you set that in the sound itself anymore, and it's controlled by the audio source itself.  When a project is converted from 4 to 5, it should have automatically taken audio sources with 2D sounds and made them 2D, but it didn't do that with the object that controlls all of Twilight's voice clips, so at first it seemed like none of her voice clips were playing (when in reality, I was just really far from where I put the object).  Switching it to 2D fixed the problem.

I have another issue though, and this one will take longer to fix.  The shader used for the crystals broke after the upgrade, so I'm trying to find a replacement.

In Unity 4, audio had to be set as either 2D or 3D.  2D audio plays normally no matter how far you are from it, while 3D audio is affected by distance and direction from the source (so you would play sounds in 2D if you want them to sound the same no matter how things are positioned in the game, which is useful for things like music, or sounds coming from the player).  Unity 5 doesn't have you set that in the sound itself anymore, and it's controlled by the audio source itself.  When a project is converted from 4 to 5, it should have automatically taken audio sources with 2D sounds and made them 2D, but it didn't do that with the object that controlls all of Twilight's voice clips, so at first it seemed like none of her voice clips were playing (when in reality, I was just really far from where I put the object).  Switching it to 2D fixed the problem.

I have another issue though, and this one will take longer to fix.  The shader used for the crystals broke after the upgrade, so I'm trying to find a replacement.

Alright. I wish you luck friend

In Unity 4, audio had to be set as either 2D or 3D. 2D audio plays normally no matter how far you are from it, while 3D audio is affected by distance and direction from the source (so you would play sounds in 2D if you want them to sound the same no matter how things are positioned in the game, which is useful for things like music, or sounds coming from the player). Unity 5 doesn't have you set that in the sound itself anymore, and it's controlled by the audio source itself. When a project is converted from 4 to 5, it should have automatically taken audio sources with 2D sounds and made them 2D, but it didn't do that with the object that controlls all of Twilight's voice clips, so at first it seemed like none of her voice clips were playing (when in reality, I was just really far from where I put the object). Switching it to 2D fixed the problem.

I have another issue though, and this one will take longer to fix. The shader used for the crystals broke after the upgrade, so I'm trying to find a replacement.

Just one question I have. If I click start after I've beaten the game. Will it still allow me to select any level from the level button on the main menu?

alright, after sinking a few hours into the game, I think I'm gonna give you a little review  :D

So first off I'd just like to say you handled the atmosphere beautifully! The darkness, the echo of the hoofsteps meant that playing the game was a great experience  :) The monster/shadow thing (don't know what to call it  ^_^ ) was also pretty terrifying at first, mainly during the first level where you actually have to run from it. I thought that was a great level  :) Only thing I'd say is that sometimes his movements were almost robotic at times. While it wasn't a huge thing, maybe if he altered his course slightly every now and then (especially in that first level that you have to evade him in) he would have seemed more alive, I guess  :P I also thought the balance between magic and stamina was quite well done.

All in all, I thought it to be a really good game, if not a little short  :lol:

I'd give it a solid 8/10  B)

alright, after sinking a few hours into the game, I think I'm gonna give you a little review  :D

So first off I'd just like to say you handled the atmosphere beautifully! The darkness, the echo of the hoofsteps meant that playing the game was a great experience  :) The monster/shadow thing (don't know what to call it  ^_^ ) was also pretty terrifying at first, mainly during the first level where you actually have to run from it. I thought that was a great level  :) Only thing I'd say is that sometimes his movements were almost robotic at times. While it wasn't a huge thing, maybe if he altered his course slightly every now and then (especially in that first level that you have to evade him in) he would have seemed more alive, I guess  :P I also thought the balance between magic and stamina was quite well done.

All in all, I thought it to be a really good game, if not a little short  :lol:

I'd give it a solid 8/10  B)

Yeah. I noticed the monster followed a pattern too.

But there was this part later in the game where he became ALOT less predictable.

Yeah. I noticed the monster followed a pattern too.

But there was this part later in the game where he became ALOT less predictable.

yeah the later stages of the game, it was much better. It's mainly during that first level where you have to evade him that it was very obvious to me.

Just one question I have. If I click start after I've beaten the game. Will it still allow me to select any level from the level button on the main menu?

Clicking Start has the same effect as going into the level menu and clicking level 1.  It won't undo your progress.

By the way, it's not much of a reward, but if you beat the game from the start without dying and with all 14 notes collected along the way, you get a short (like, 15 second or so) bonus scene at the end.  (It's nothing amazing or even worth the trouble really, but I wanted to have something there.)

yeah the later stages of the game, it was much better. It's mainly during that first level where you have to evade him that it was very obvious to me.

It always follows a pattern in each of its appearances.  I know it should be more randomized, but given how people have found even the patterns to be hard to avoid sometimes, making it random would make it even harder.

Although... maybe some kind of unlockable hard mode if you beat the game...

Although... maybe some kind of unlockable hard mode if you beat the game..

yeah an extra difficult mode would be interesting to see and would add some replayability to the game :D Perhaps also add in extra notes or easter eggs on that mode to tease people into trying it after they've beat the game  :) 

By the way, it's not much of a reward, but if you beat the game from the start without dying and with all 14 notes collected along the way, you get a short (like, 15 second or so) bonus scene at the end. (It's nothing amazing or even worth the trouble really, but I wanted to have something there.)

WA9TwtG.png

Ummm... I dunno if I should attempt this. Can't you just explain it?

Edited by Shadowking58

(edited)

Huh. Reminds me of that one ending scene from Metroid Prime 2.

Actually, I had the first Metroid Prime hidden ending (which showed Dark Samus being formed) in mind when I made it.

I have another hypothetical question, but before I ask it, let me make it clear that I don't have any intention to make a game like this for each of the mane 6.  Now, that said... if I were to make another game, which character do you think it should feature?  I'm leaning towards Fluttershy since it might be fun to work the whole fear angle into some gameplay aspects.  But others might be interesting too.

Edited by Time Shield

Now, that said... if I were to make another game, which character do you think it should feature?  I'm leaning towards Fluttershy since it might be fun to work the whole fear angle into some gameplay aspects.  But others might be interesting too.

how about AJ? I mean, there's the whole thing about her parent's death...she could go through quite a dark experience haunted by ghosts of her past. But Flutters sounds good too