Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Escape -- Game download

Time Shield

Actually, I had the first Metroid Prime hidden ending (which showed Dark Samus being formed) in mind when I made it.

I have another hypothetical question, but before I ask it, let me make it clear that I don't have any intention to make a game like this for each of the mane 6.  Now, that said... if I were to make another game, which character do you think it should feature?  I'm leaning towards Fluttershy since it might be fun to work the whole fear angle into some gameplay aspects.  But others might be interesting too.

Well I knew it must've come from a Metroid Game! :P

I really liked those running sequences where the monster was chasing you and it was just like you had to run along a straight path and get away from it.

Edited by Shadowking58

how about AJ? I mean, there's the whole thing about her parent's death...she could go through quite a dark experience haunted by ghosts of her past. But Flutters sounds good too

I actually had a interesting AJ game in mind involving rescuing Apple Bloom from kidnappers, but it's more action oriented, and it is most definitely something I lack the ability to make myself since it would require many pony models and animations.

Okay, I finished fixing all the bugs in the upgrade from Unity 4 to 5.  The crystals unfortunately don't look QUITE as good as they used to, but it's close enough.  Everything else works, and I took the time to fix a couple of minor bugs.  Now I should be able to export Mac/Linx versions.

I actually had a interesting AJ game in mind involving rescuing Apple Bloom from kidnappers, but it's more action oriented, and it is most definitely something I lack the ability to make myself since it would require many pony models and animations.

Okay, I finished fixing all the bugs in the upgrade from Unity 4 to 5.  The crystals unfortunately don't look QUITE as good as they used to, but it's close enough.  Everything else works, and I took the time to fix a couple of minor bugs.  Now I should be able to export Mac/Linx versions.

I'm kinda glad I have the version with Unity 4 now. Because the crystals still look great :P

(edited)

Okay, I've updated the download links.  It has v1.1 for Windows, Mac and Linux now.

*EDIT*  So the full list of changes is:

• Crystals look a little less good now, but it was necessary to make the other changes possible
  • During the last level, you can no longer run circles around the last encounter for a long period of time
  • Pressing F12 during a level will eliminate all light cones (some people were having graphical difficulties with them on certain graphics cards, and it was unfixable any other way)
  • Changed the wording in the disclaimer so that it reads 'Discovery Family Channel' instead of 'The Hub' (I forgot to change that a while back)

I fully tested the game otherwise, so hopefully... HOPEFULLY I didn't overlook anything.

*EDIT EDIT*  Huh, I can't seem to push keys through walls anymore.  I had actually given up on fixing that bug for good, but it's possible Unity 5 fixed it?  If so, awesome.

Edited by Time Shield

Okay, I've updated the download links.  It has v1.1 for Windows, Mac and Linux now.

*EDIT*  So the full list of changes is:

• Crystals look a little less good now, but it was necessary to make the other changes possible
  • During the last level, you can no longer run circles around the last encounter for a long period of time
  • Pressing F12 during a level will eliminate all light cones (some people were having graphical difficulties with them on certain graphics cards, and it was unfixable any other way)
  • Changed the wording in the disclaimer so that it reads 'Discovery Family Channel' instead of 'The Hub' (I forgot to change that a while back)

I fully tested the game otherwise, so hopefully... HOPEFULLY I didn't overlook anything.

*EDIT EDIT*  Huh, I can't seem to push keys through walls anymore.  I had actually given up on fixing that bug for good, but it's possible Unity 5 fixed it?  If so, awesome.

It looks to me like the crystals look better then they did in Unity 4's version.

Unity 4:

DjM0w4M.jpg

Unity 5:

LFnId1R.png

It looks to me like the crystals look better then they did in Unity 4's version.

Unity 4:

img-3627979-1-DjM0w4M.jpg

Unity 5:

img-3627979-2-LFnId1R.png

They don't have that shine like they did in the first version (you can see the white shine on the top and bottom).  But aside from that, I guess it's not bad.

No issues so far with v1.1?  I keep getting worried that something new will crop up that I didn't catch in testing...

Hey Time Shield amazing game, well you have heard this from me from my videos, anyway I was just wandering has anyone out there beat this, cause I'm stuck at level 10 and well I have tried quite a few things but none of them work, so if anyone can help me that would be great!

Hey Time Shield amazing game, well you have heard this from me from my videos, anyway I was just wandering has anyone out there beat this, cause I'm stuck at level 10 and well I have tried quite a few things but none of them work, so if anyone can help me that would be great!

I could tell you, but it would spoil how to win.  All I can say is, don't forget to use all of Twilight's abilities.

I could tell you, but it would spoil how to win.  All I can say is, don't forget to use all of Twilight's abilities.

I loved Level 10 because I figured out how to beat it on my own without looking up a walkthrough. It made me feel like I actually completed it instead of just looking up how to do it.

I downloaded the Game, but it won't let me play it. I run the Application and it just takes me to an Error message that reads 

There should be 'Twilight Escape_Data'

folder next to the executable

Is there any way I can fix this? I'm running windows and I've tried re-downloading the game.

As a side note, I downloaded the song. I love it.

(edited)

I downloaded the Game, but it won't let me play it. I run the Application and it just takes me to an Error message that reads 

Is there any way I can fix this? I'm running windows and I've tried re-downloading the game.

As a side note, I downloaded the song. I love it.

The folder it's talking about should have been along with it.  Check the zipfile again and make sure you unzip everything from it.

The zipfile contains a folder 'Twilight Escape', which you copy to your computer.  Inside should be the 'Twilight Escape' executable, a readme text file, and the 'Twilight Escape_Data' folder that the error message was talking about.

So I recently have been giving thought to a Fluttershy game.  I have an idea for one, but unfortunately the idea kind of... lacks variety, to put it simply.  As in, every level is pretty much the same except a little more difficult than the last.  I can't think of a way to give it more variety.

Edited by Time Shield
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thanks. It's working now. I'll be sure to post about it Once I beat it. (Or get stuck) Thanks again.

Alright. That was a great game. Very tense, especially when played late at night. Some things I liked;

The Sound was Gorgeous. The clops of horse shoes, the panting, the Miasma's noises and the crackling Fire made a great atmosphere for the game.

I also noticed that it's impossible to jump high enough to get onto the fires. I'g glad you thought of little details like that.

A few complaints. In level 6, there is a room full of rocks, I walked into that room, turned to the left towards the two blocks that usually have items on them and promptly fell through the floor. I did the level another few times, trying to fall in again, but I couldn't get it to happen again. Not sure if it's a rare bug or what, but i thought you should now about it. 

And the Maze in Level 9 is a bit too easy. You can teleport from one corner to the next, and simply hold Q the entire time to regain Magic. Maybe toss a few of those anti-Teleport Spheres in.

However, it was still a great game. I loved it. (I would appreciate a Hardcore mode) Did any of those four ponies who left the notes survive? And do you have any other games?

EDIT: Whoa, this Forum automatically combines double posts? That's Sweet.

Edited by The Only Joe

Thanks. It's working now. I'll be sure to post about it Once I beat it. (Or get stuck) Thanks again.

Alright. That was a great game. Very tense, especially when played late at night. Some things I liked;

The Sound was Gorgeous. The clops of horse shoes, the panting, the Miasma's noises and the crackling Fire made a great atmosphere for the game.

I also noticed that it's impossible to jump high enough to get onto the fires. I'g glad you thought of little details like that.

A few complaints. In level , there is a room full of rocks, I walked into that room, turned to the left towards the two blocks that usually have items on them and promptly fell through the floor. I did the level another few times, trying to fall in again, but I couldn't get it to happen again. Not sure if it's a rare bug or what, but i thought you should now about it. 

And the Maze in Level 9 is a bit too easy. You can teleport from one corner to the next, and simply hold Q the entire time to regain Magic. Maybe toss a few of those anti-Teleport Spheres in.

However, it was still a great game. I loved it. (I would appreciate a Hardcore mode) Did any of those four ponies who left the notes survive? And do you have any other games?

EDIT: Whoa, this Forum automatically combines double posts? That's Sweet.

Thanks for your feedback!  I actually had that same bug occur to me once, but it was in a different place (it was actually on the first level right in front of the locked door).  I could never get it to happen again after that, so I still don't know what causes it.  It only ever happened after I upgraded to Unity 5, so it's probably a bug with the physics in that version.

Yeah, the level 9 maze can be too easy once you realize you can teleport through it.  I suppose I should have put anti-teleport orbs everywhere, but it felt like it would have ruined the visuals of the tunnels.  Maybe I might go back and change it though.  I thought about a hardcore mode that would give the shade more randomized movements.  If I do end up making another version, I'll probably see if I can add that.

As for another game, I mentioned earlier that I was thinking of making a new game that would probably feature Fluttershy, if I find the time to do it.  I have an idea for it, except right now the idea is low on story and variety.

• Brohoof 1

Click the link below to download (for Windows, Mac and Linux):

TWILIGHT ESCAPE

A long time ago, before she moved to Ponyville, Twilight Sparkle was reading books about magic one day and tried casting a spell she found in one of them.  The spell was a trap, causing her to disappear from her home and reappear inside of a dungeon.  Now she must find a way out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlSaWdYP5z0

img-3592115-1-te_ss_01_zpsbfoxb8xe.png

img-3592115-2-te_ss_02_zpsbkshwoyi.png

img-3592115-3-te_ss_03_zps8ndcqlha.png

Weird, I didn't seen a download link in Equestriadaily  :huh: , oh well, I'll play it now  :smug:

Hello.

Had to make an account here just for commenting on something. I'd like to play this game, but unfortunately it sort of stops working after the first level. 

The first level works fine. Twilight talks, things work. I've tried going through it many, many times. 

When you enter the second level, a whole lot of things bug out forever.

1.) Twilight doesn't talk anymore. At first I didn't even realize it and went all the way to level 7 before actually noticing she hadn't talked at all.

2.) Focus magic stops working. It gives this really annoying sort of buzzing sound and freezes the game for as long as I keep the button pressed. Magic doesn't recharge, stamina doesn't drop. This made it rather annoying to go to level 7, since you had to wait for the magic to regenerate all the time.

3.) Many notes become unreadable. I right click on them, and the game sort of freezes until I right click again, as if I'm seeing the note, but I am not. 

Ergo, not quite working I'm afraid. Skimmed through the thread and I'm rather surprised no one else seemed to have such large issues.

64-bit Windows 7. Not english version if it matters. Tried the game on C: root too.

Radeon HD 5870. Drivers up to date. Certainly enough RAM and processor for this sort of a game.

Any ideas, or just a thing that's unlucky for me?

Want more information of any sort?

Hello.

Had to make an account here just for commenting on something. I'd like to play this game, but unfortunately it sort of stops working after the first level. 

The first level works fine. Twilight talks, things work. I've tried going through it many, many times. 

When you enter the second level, a whole lot of things bug out forever.

1.) Twilight doesn't talk anymore. At first I didn't even realize it and went all the way to level 7 before actually noticing she hadn't talked at all.

2.) Focus magic stops working. It gives this really annoying sort of buzzing sound and freezes the game for as long as I keep the button pressed. Magic doesn't recharge, stamina doesn't drop. This made it rather annoying to go to level 7, since you had to wait for the magic to regenerate all the time.

3.) Many notes become unreadable. I right click on them, and the game sort of freezes until I right click again, as if I'm seeing the note, but I am not. 

Ergo, not quite working I'm afraid. Skimmed through the thread and I'm rather surprised no one else seemed to have such large issues.

64-bit Windows 7. Not english version if it matters. Tried the game on C: root too.

Radeon HD 5870. Drivers up to date. Certainly enough RAM and processor for this sort of a game.

Any ideas, or just a thing that's unlucky for me?

Want more information of any sort?

I saw one other person have this issue, and I don't know what caused it.  The person never got back to me about it, but he suspected that it was due to some extra hardware he was using (he was using a controller called the Razer Tartarus).

I saw one other person have this issue, and I don't know what caused it.  The person never got back to me about it, but he suspected that it was due to some extra hardware he was using (he was using a controller called the Razer Tartarus).

Odd. I have known before, that when playing RPGmaker games, which is sort of kind of similar, if I have my fight stick or gamepad inserted, the controls do not work properly. However, this isn't a sound or gameplay related as such. I unplugged the gamepad (I was playing with a keyboard and razer's diamondback mouse, but a mouse regardless) and tried, but no go. Of course it might be I have to restart without the gamepad on and try that, but still would feel really weird if it was about that. 

Did he give any specifics on what hardware he felt was the problem and why it might be?

(edited)

Odd. I have known before, that when playing RPGmaker games, which is sort of kind of similar, if I have my fight stick or gamepad inserted, the controls do not work properly. However, this isn't a sound or gameplay related as such. I unplugged the gamepad (I was playing with a keyboard and razer's diamondback mouse, but a mouse regardless) and tried, but no go. Of course it might be I have to restart without the gamepad on and try that, but still would feel really weird if it was about that. 

Did he give any specifics on what hardware he felt was the problem and why it might be?

He didn't, nor did he tell me if removing the hardware solved the problem or not.  As he was the only person to encounter the problem, I wasn't terribly worried, but now I am since it happened to more than one person.

One more question, are you playing v1.0 or v1.1?  He had v1.0, so I wanted to see if it was still happening in v1.1 or not.

Edited by Time Shield

He didn't, nor did he tell me if removing the hardware solved the problem or not.  As he was the only person to encounter the problem, I wasn't terribly worried, but now I am since it happened to more than one person.

One more question, are you playing v1.0 or v1.1?  He had v1.0, so I wanted to see if it was still happening in v1.1 or not.

The problem happens on both. I actually went back to your site to see if there was an update because of this problem.

Since everything works on level 1, one would assume it has something to do with the transition of levels or how some scripts load on second level but not on first or something, and which cause problems with some specific hardware / software / OS / face of user since it doesn't happen to most people, probably. 

Unfortunately I don't know much about coding at all so I can't say. :|

(If all fails, is there a 100% let's play without any spoken commentary so you can sort of see the game as if played)

(edited)

The problem happens on both. I actually went back to your site to see if there was an update because of this problem.

Since everything works on level 1, one would assume it has something to do with the transition of levels or how some scripts load on second level but not on first or something, and which cause problems with some specific hardware / software / OS / face of user since it doesn't happen to most people, probably. 

Unfortunately I don't know much about coding at all so I can't say. :|

(If all fails, is there a 100% let's play without any spoken commentary so you can sort of see the game as if played)

I've seen at least one without commentary, yes.  I'll have to find it again.  And I honestly don't know what's different about the first level that isn't the same on the other ones, aside from the little wake-up cinematic at the beginning of it.  They all transition from a storybook sequence to a gameplay sequence and have the same key objects.

What really confounds me about this is how totally and utterly things aren't triggering when the bug happens.  On the other person who had the same issue, he had subtitles enabled, so when it was supposed to have been playing Twilight quotes, at the very least it should have printed the subtitle for it, which means the bug was preventing it from even getting that far.  So it's not just an audio bug, it's actually breaking out of the script at that point, which could also explain why the focusing wasn't doing anything either.

On the other hand the fact that the focusing is TRYING to play a sound effect and immediately interrupts itself could be significant.  That means it's getting to the point in the script where the sound plays, but not far enough to set the fact that focusing started (which would normally prevent the sound from cutting itself off repeatedly).  Hmm...

*** WARNING: PROGRAMMING CONTENT ***

Ok, the two functions I mentioned are literally a line apart from each other.  Once it checks everything necessary to start focusing, it runs a script to have Twilight start to play the exertion sound, and then it immediately sets a flag letting the program know that it is in the middle of focusing.  The lines look like this:

vs.Speak (((int)(Random.value * 5)),1,false,0,1F);
isfocusing = true;

On the first line, it tells the voicescript (vs) to run the Speak function with these parameters:
  • Which voice clip index to play (here it chooses a random number from 0 to 4, the indexes for the five possible exertion sounds)
  • Its importance level (here set to 1 so that it doesn't interrupt other more important things like actual dialogue)
  • Whether or not the sound needs to loop (this one doesn't, so it's set to false)
  • The time delay before it should start the sound (here set to 0 so that it plays immediately)
  • The volume level of the sound from 0 to 1 (here set to 1 so that it plays at full volume)

On the second line, it sets isfocusing to true so that it won't run this section of code the next time, which prevents it from triggering the Speak function over and over.

Now, in the Speak function itself, it sets up everything for the sound to play, but even if the delay is 0, it still won't begin playing until the next tick since it has to reach the Update function to check how much time has passed.  This is where my confusion sets in.  If in fact the problem is happening in the middle of the Speak function and causing the script to break, that could potentially cause an error and stop the script from running, which prevents it from reaching the second line and allows it to run this section every tick, which could lead to the repeating sound... EXCEPT for the fact that if it broke in the middle of the script, it shouldn't play the sound in the first place since it would have to wait until the next tick for the sound to start playing.  The script breaking might explain why the other Twilight clips aren't playing at all, but it doesn't explain why this one IS playing.  Unless...

Unless it ISNT the one that's repeating.  As I'm typing this, I remember that there's another line that plays just before the Speak function:

AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint (spellstart,transform.position);

This plays that little spell sound effect that you hear whenever a spell begins (such as toggling on the light, starting a teleport, opening a door, etc.)  If THAT sound is the one that's repeating, then that could explain everything.  The Twilight voice script is breaking, which in turn causes whatever script is running it to error and stop running to completion, and in turn explains why the one sound plays but then fails to run the very next line in the code... and why everything that's breaking revolves around Twilight quotes.

Yes, I'm certain that's the script that's breaking now.  But I don't know what's causing the actual break.  Level 1 runs the same script as every other level, there's literally no difference in it other than level-based sound indexes that aren't even touched here.  So I know generally WHERE it's happening now but not WHY.

*** WARNING: CONTINUED PROGRAMMING CONTENT ***

Alright, so upon examination of the code, something else just occurred to me.  If I'm running the Speak script in the Twilight voice control object, and the script fails in any way, it would just cancel the Speak script, not the script that's calling it.  This is because the Speak script doesn't return anything (it's a void function), so if there are any problems with it, it would break out of the script and the other one would just pick up where it left off.  But that's not what's happening, because the "isfocusing" flag is not being set.

Therefore, I can only conclude one thing about this: the call to the Speak function must be what's failing, not the Speak function itself.  If the call to it fails, that would cause the script running it to break.

So the next question is, why is the Speak function breaking?  It's being passed all the correct information there, and they're technically all constant values (i.e., it's not pulling them from other objects that could potentially result in the variable not being found).  The random number is the only thing that differs, and for the purposes of this, I can call that a constant since it's impossible for "Random.value" not to be found.  In other words, every time this function is called, it should work... except for only TWO possibilities that I can think of:

1. The "vs" object has the wrong data (i.e., it's null or pointing to an object other than the Twilight voice script)
  2. The Twilight voice control object itself is missing (which in turn would cause the "vs" object to be pointing to a non-existent object).

If either of the above were true, trying to run vs.Speak() would result in an error and cause the script that's trying to run it to stop in its tracks.

So I'm narrowing this down.  Depending on which of the two above is true, this would mean one of the two things are happening:

1. Something's preventing the "vs" object from being set at the beginning of the level
  2. At some point, the Twilight voice control object is being destroyed

There's nothing that would be destroying these objects in the code, so unless something really REALLY weird is happening, I can rule out #2.  That leaves the initial declaration of the object, which as far as I can tell looks normal.

So... I'm still stumped.  But at least I've narrowed down the stump.  If only I knew what was triggering it, I could trigger it myself and see what's happening.

Edited by Time Shield
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I've seen at least one without commentary, yes.  I'll have to find it again.  And I honestly don't know what's different about the first level that isn't the same on the other ones, aside from the little wake-up cinematic at the beginning of it.  They all transition from a storybook sequence to a gameplay sequence and have the same key objects.

What really confounds me about this is how totally and utterly things aren't triggering when the bug happens.  On the other person who had the same issue, he had subtitles enabled, so when it was supposed to have been playing Twilight quotes, at the very least it should have printed the subtitle for it, which means the bug was preventing it from even getting that far.  So it's not just an audio bug, it's actually breaking out of the script at that point, which could also explain why the focusing wasn't doing anything either.

On the other hand the fact that the focusing is TRYING to play a sound effect and immediately interrupts itself could be significant.  That means it's getting to the point in the script where the sound plays, but not far enough to set the fact that focusing started (which would normally prevent the sound from cutting itself off repeatedly).  Hmm...

Ok, the two functions I mentioned are literally a line apart from each other.  Once it checks everything necessary to start focusing, it runs a script to have Twilight start to play the exertion sound, and then it immediately sets a flag letting the program know that it is in the middle of focusing.  The lines look like this:

vs.Speak (((int)(Random.value * 5)),1,false,0,1F);
isfocusing = true;

On the first line, it tells the voicescript (vs) to run the Speak function with these parameters:
  • Which voice clip index to play (here it chooses a random number from 0 to 4, the indexes for the five possible exertion sounds)
  • Its importance level (here set to 1 so that it doesn't interrupt other more important things like actual dialogue)
  • Whether or not the sound needs to loop (this one doesn't, so it's set to false)
  • The time delay before it should start the sound (here set to 0 so that it plays immediately)
  • The volume level of the sound from 0 to 1 (here set to 1 so that it plays at full volume)

On the second line, it sets isfocusing to true so that it won't run this section of code the next time, which prevents it from triggering the Speak function over and over.

Now, in the Speak function itself, it sets up everything for the sound to play, but even if the delay is 0, it still won't begin playing until the next tick since it has to reach the Update function to check how much time has passed.  This is where my confusion sets in.  If in fact the problem is happening in the middle of the Speak function and causing the script to break, that could potentially cause an error and stop the script from running, which prevents it from reaching the second line and allows it to run this section every tick, which could lead to the repeating sound... EXCEPT for the fact that if it broke in the middle of the script, it shouldn't play the sound in the first place since it would have to wait until the next tick for the sound to start playing.  The script breaking might explain why the other Twilight clips aren't playing at all, but it doesn't explain why this one IS playing.  Unless...

Unless it ISNT the one that's repeating.  As I'm typing this, I remember that there's another line that plays just before the Speak function:

AudioSource.PlayClipAtPoint (spellstart,transform.position);

This plays that little spell sound effect that you hear whenever a spell begins (such as toggling on the light, starting a teleport, opening a door, etc.)  If THAT sound is the one that's repeating, then that could explain everything.  The Twilight voice script is breaking, which in turn causes whatever script is running it to error and stop running to completion, and in turn explains why the one sound plays but then fails to run the very next line in the code... and why everything that's breaking revolves around Twilight quotes.

Yes, I'm certain that's the script that's breaking now.  But I don't know what's causing the actual break.  Level 1 runs the same script as every other level, there's literally no difference in it other than level-based sound indexes that aren't even touched here.  So I know generally WHERE it's happening now but not WHY.

There is something different: the tutorial messages on level 1 and no other levels. Do they matter?

Went in to check a bit more. Tried to see if anything is different when picking level 1 from the level tab instead of just starting a game : still works, other levels don't. On level 5 for some reason all sound effects vanished at one point but came back when I returned to the menu and back. 

One rather interesting thing I noticed which might not matter or might: On level 1 I have invert mouse checkbox filled, as it should. On other levels which don't work, that invert mouse checkbox ISN'T filled, but the mouse is still inverted. Ergo, some sort of script or trigger vanishes here too, even though the effect remains.

Edit: Hey, I'm a muffin now. for a blank flank into an edible. betterment?

Edited by Porrima

(edited)

There is something different: the tutorial messages on level 1 and no other levels. Do they matter?

Went in to check a bit more. Tried to see if anything is different when picking level 1 from the level tab instead of just starting a game : still works, other levels don't. On level 5 for some reason all sound effects vanished at one point but came back when I returned to the menu and back. 

One rather interesting thing I noticed which might not matter or might: On level 1 I have invert mouse checkbox filled, as it should. On other levels which don't work, that invert mouse checkbox ISN'T filled, but the mouse is still inverted. Ergo, some sort of script or trigger vanishes here too, even though the effect remains.

Edit: Hey, I'm a muffin now. for a blank flank into an edible. betterment?

Actually, that is VERY helpful.  I have one more question: if you check or uncheck the subtitle box and then start up another level, does it do the same thing as the mouse invert?  That is, does it appear as though the box is unchecked in the level, but is checked if you go back out to the main menu?  If so, then I may know what's happening.

*EDIT* I think I've narrowed down where the problem is happening almost exactly, even without the information I just asked about:

(Sorry about putting this in spoiler boxes, I just try to keep long explanations out of the main thread.)

Okay, when a level starts up, there's a section of code that runs, setting some of the initial player preferences and objects.  Here are the very last lines of that part of the script:

ml1.sensitivityX = PlayerPrefs.GetInt ("msense",10) * 0.5F;

ml2.sensitivityY = PlayerPrefs.GetInt ("msense",10) * PlayerPrefs.GetInt ("minvert",1);
msense.value = PlayerPrefs.GetInt ("msense",10);
if (PlayerPrefs.GetInt ("minvert",1) == -1) {
   minvert.isOn = true;
} else {
   minvert.isOn = false;
}
vs = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("Voice").GetComponent<VoiceScript>();
if (PlayerPrefs.GetInt ("subtitle",0) == 0) {
   ssubt.isOn = false;
} else {
   ssubt.isOn = true;
}

What's happening here is:
  • The first line sets the horizontal mouse sensitivity based on the player preference.
  • The second line sets the vertical mouse sensitivity, and inverts the sensitivity if the preference was set for it to be inverted (this is a key point to remember).
  • The third line is actually setting the mouse sensitivity slider in the options menu to the appropriate spot.
  • The fourth through eighth lines are simply putting a check in the mouse inversion box if that's how the preference was already set.
  • The ninth line is locating the Twilight voice control object and setting its voice script to "vs", the stuff I talked about earlier.
  • The remaining lines are putting a check in the subtitle box in the options menu if they were already enabled in the preferences.

Now, the key point here is that you said the mouse remains inverted when you start the level, but that the box remains unchecked in the options menu.  This means that line 2 is running, but lines 4 through 8 are not.  Therefore, that means line 3 has to be the breaking point, because if it broke at any later point, lines 4 through 8 would have run and the checkbox would be checked.  But if it broke any sooner than that, then the mouse wouldn't have been inverted at all (in fact, the mouse sensitivity would remain at the default and would not be affected by the mouse sensitivity slider).  Since the 9th line is where the Twilight voice control object is being set, any break before then would cause ALL of the problems that have been happening.

So the problem is with line 3:

msense.value = PlayerPrefs.GetInt ("msense",10);

But the question is, why would that line break?  There's absolutely nothing weird about it.  The mouse sensitivity slider is just a value, and it's setting it to a value that was already used just a line earlier without issue.

However, I'm not too worried about that.  Since I've narrowed down WHERE the problem is, while I'm concerned about WHY it's a problem, I believe I can still fix it, and I can do that by simply moving all the stuff below line 3 to the lines above it.  That way, it will run, and even if that one line fails again, all the important things would still run.

Alright, I'm going to compile a fix and toss it up on here very shortly.  If you try it out and it works, I'll roll it out as an update.

(Ok, just quoting you again so that the forum gets your attention.)

Here's v1.2:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5tvnvxq2e5wyai/TwilightEscape_v1_2.zip?dl=0

Please let me know if it works normally.  Based on everything I've deduced about this so far, it should.

Edited by Time Shield
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Okay, back here. And, I've confrimed now the problem. Note that this is BEFORE trying 1.2 - I will try if you've fixed that and comment on that too, but I think it might be valuable to tell this with the 1.1 experience too, in case you've not fixed the correct thing: 

As I started my playing this game in the very start of all, I did this: I went to options before anything else, as with every game. I clicked on invert mouse and subtitles if they weren't already. I go in, problems happen in level 2+

Today, I tried to fiddle with the subtitles thing as you asked, to see if that tab vanishes or reappears. It doesn't. Every time  I try, enterin gthe level with it on, it off, clicking it off or on in the level etc. it's the same in the menu. 

Then, I finally tried something I hadn't even tried to before, of which I apologize. I turned invert mouse off and went to levels 2+

And the dialogues work, so does Twilight's grunting, and now that shadow ball even has eyes! It DID NOT have eyes before, and I didn't even know it was supposed to have :P

I tried with subtitles off or on. Doesn't matter.

If invert mouse is on, levels 2+ do not work  at least with whatever combination of hardware I and that guy had.

It makes me laugh a bit that the reason no one else in this thread said anything is probably that no one else in this thread grew up on flight simulators and space opera fighters where you move as a plane does, nose pointing up as you pull down. Because of that I cannot use a mouse even in 3d-games except inverted :P

So, it would be fun if the invert mouse can be made to work. I will now try 1.2

Edited by Porrima
  • Brohoof 1

That would entirely explain why I never detected it before, since I included mouse inversion but never used it myself beyond making sure the option worked in level 1. I'm not at home now, but will verify everything later when I am.