Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you call yourself a brony, a pegasister, or a fan, & why?

BritishBrony2012

and I are practically opposites but for the same reason, it seems. Been a Trekkie myself since I was little and always liked the term, and I love being able to identify myself as a brony. For those of us who have a very deep, personal connection to the show and have found their involvement with the fandom to be a positive and life altering experience are likely more prone to call themselves that. As for the hang-up between the terms "brony" and "pegasister," I don't see what the big deal is here. For a time there was a sharp divide between those who would call themselves Trekkies and those who preferred to be called Trekkers. Personally, I never made a distinction, and didn't care which anyone chose to call me. My outlook on bronies and pegasisters is much the same, regardless of the fan's gender.

• Brohoof 2

Ima just a fan who likes the show and the story and the fandom.   The show is not

my whole "fandom" center and all or life or what I spend money on (ok a tiny bit if

I find it used...) but I think labels can play a good or bad thing, just depends on

on how the person carries that label around.

and I are practically opposites but for the same reason, it seems. Been a Trekkie myself since I was little and always liked the term, and I love being able to identify myself as a brony. For those of us who have a very deep, personal connection to the show and have found their involvement with the fandom to be a positive and life altering experience are likely more prone to call themselves that. As for the hang-up between the terms "brony" and "pegasister," I don't see what the big deal is here. For a time there was a sharp divide between those who would call themselves Trekkies and those who preferred to be called Trekkers. Personally, I never made a distinction, and didn't care which anyone chose to call me. My outlook on bronies and pegasisters is much the same, regardless of the fan's gender.

Well said; my friend. Thinking back it never really bothered me if I was called a Trekkie or Tekker back in the day as well.

As silly as fan terminology can be at times it can be easy to forget or overlook one's personal connection with a show/movie/game. Star Trek was certainly like that for me, as was Spyro the Dragon...even though Spyro fans never had a unique name for their fandom. ^^

• Brohoof 2

For a time there was a sharp divide between those who would call themselves Trekkies and those who preferred to be called Trekkers. Personally, I never made a distinction, and didn't care which anyone chose to call me. My outlook on bronies and pegasisters is much the same, regardless of the fan's gender.

Some people will fight over some seriously stupid things. That pretty much sums up why I tend to alternate between calling myself a brony and a fan because honestly they are pretty much the same thing but if people prefer one term or the other than I don't care either way because we all know exactly what we are referring to so why quibble over details? Sure there is different kinds of fans and different levels of fans with more casual ones and ones that are a bit more hard core but so long as people respect one another should it really even matter?

• Brohoof 1

If I was questioned in real life I'd probably just say I'm a pony fan, but among bronies and online, I call myself a Pegasister. I like the word; I think it's cute.

(It's also what my Year 8 jazz music class decided I was called when they caught me doodling a pony on the back of my answer sheet while I was giving them a theory test. Whoops.)

• Brohoof 1

Online I use Fan and Brony. Offline I just say I am a fan of MLP- and only to people I know won't give me crap.

I just think Brony is kind of a loaded term that can bring more trouble than it's worth sometimes. I like the show, crew, and a lot of the stuff from the fandom. That's what matters to me, not so much a specific label.

I just like being called a fan. There's a lot of fan content I don't really care for like music and don't have many MLP projects planned but let's just say I like MLP:FiM.

Edited by TheJLeeTeam

I hate being referred to using the term "Pegasister", but I rarely have the guts to correct people about it. In real life, I'll call myself a "pony fan" if the person I'm talking to isn't familiar with the MLP fandom, and a "Brony" if they know what it is.

• Brohoof 1

I would define myself as a fan, because I only watch the show. And because for me, why I hear of "brony", I first think of that delicious little chocolate divine food

I say I'm a Brony because I am pretty obsessed with the show (I'm a Trekkie and Whovian as well), so I call myself a Brony. I don't use the term Pegasister because I don't understand why there needs to be a different word for female fans and from my experience, some people have been pretty misogynistic towards me on some forums when I've revealed I'm female. MLP fans are pretty tolerant and equal towards the genders, they aren't the issue. Most bronies I know behave in a very feminist manner, and treat everyone with dignity and equality from my experiences. But forums that have featured multiple fandoms alongside MLP fans have been mean to me for revealing I'm female. I had to leave my Trekkie forum I'd been a part of for 7yrs because the new wave of fans came in, and they were very misogynist, which was bizarre to the older fans. The forum started having serious issues with the new fans messaging inappropriate pictures to female members ( got so many dick pics), calling ladies fake geeks, and just bullying the bejeezus out of them. As one of the older members, it was really difficult to leave, but I just couldn't take it anymore.
So I just say Brony. It lets other MLP fans know I'm one of the herd on a multi forum so they can talk to me, but keeps the meaner people from bullying me and telling me 'Tits or GTFO'. 

• Brohoof 2

I say I'm a Brony because I am pretty obsessed with the show (I'm a Trekkie and Whovian as well), so I call myself a Brony. I don't use the term Pegasister because I don't understand why there needs to be a different word for female fans

Exactly. I don't understand why female pony fans feel the need to separate themselves from males.

I don't oppose it, but I don't understand it. Is it a uniqueness thing? Do females like to separate themselves as not being an average fan? Is it merely a case of not wanting to be accidentally referred to as male? I guess I can understand that, but I'm much more comfortable just using "Brony" as a gender-neutral term.

The Internet is, for me, a place where gender doesn't matter when it comes to how valid one's opinions are. Yes, I'm female, but my gender is not a big part of my identity and I don't feel the need to call attention to it by using a different term. I think "Brony" sounds nice, is easy to say, and isn't sexist. I call girls guys and female friends bros, so I don't see why I shouldn't call a female pony fan a Brony. I will refer to someone as a Pegasister if they request it, but if it's unspecified, I won't.

One of the reasons I like the MLP fandom so much is because gender isn't really a part of it. I went to BronyCon cosplaying as a male and no one batted an eye. You can bet your heiny there were plenty of guys cosplaying as girls there! I guess it bothers me a bit that girls feel the need to separate themselves from the guys when guys don't have a term used exclusively for male fans. Now that I say that, I'm starting to get the "Bronies can't be girls" argument. Erf....

I am definitely biased in saying this because, again, gender is not a big part of my identity. I don't care when someone mistakes me for a male or uses the wrong pronouns, and even though I'm cisgender, I don't go out my way to express my femininity. I'm somewhat masculine for a high school chick. I happened to be born female, and I'm fine with that, but it doesn't affect what I do (aside from hormones changing moods and stuff, but guys have that too). I don't know what it feels like to be mistaken for the wrong gender and be upset by it. I'm just not affected by it... and while that's great for me, it also means that I can't sympathize with those who do consider gender a part of their identity. And that's not so great.

TL;DR, and also stating things in a way a bit less opinionated (sorry, I went a bit overboard there): I don't personally understand why females separate themselves from males using the term "Pegasister", but I can accept it and will use the term when it's requested from me. I just won't use it for me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Exactly. I don't understand why female pony fans feel the need to separate themselves from males.

I don't oppose it, but I don't understand it. Is it a uniqueness thing? Do females like to separate themselves as not being an average fan? Is it merely a case of not wanting to be accidentally referred to as male? I guess I can understand that, but I'm much more comfortable just using "Brony" as a gender-neutral term.

The Internet is, for me, a place where gender doesn't matter when it comes to how valid one's opinions are. Yes, I'm female, but my gender is not a big part of my identity and I don't feel the need to call attention to it by using a different term. I think "Brony" sounds nice, is easy to say, and isn't sexist. I call girls guys and female friends bros, so I don't see why I shouldn't call a female pony fan a Brony. I will refer to someone as a Pegasister if they request it, but if it's unspecified, I won't.

One of the reasons I like the MLP fandom so much is because gender isn't really a part of it. I went to BronyCon cosplaying as a male and no one batted an eye. You can bet your heiny there were plenty of guys cosplaying as girls there! I guess it bothers me a bit that girls feel the need to separate themselves from the guys when guys don't have a term used exclusively for male fans. Now that I say that, I'm starting to get the "Bronies can't be girls" argument. Erf....

I am definitely biased in saying this because, again, gender is not a big part of my identity. I don't care when someone mistakes me for a male or uses the wrong pronouns, and even though I'm cisgender, I don't go out my way to express my femininity. I'm somewhat masculine for a high school chick. I happened to be born female, and I'm fine with that, but it doesn't affect what I do (aside from hormones changing moods and stuff, but guys have that too). I don't know what it feels like to be mistaken for the wrong gender and be upset by it. I'm just not affected by it... and while that's great for me, it also means that I can't sympathize with those who do consider gender a part of their identity. And that's not so great.

TL;DR, and also stating things in a way a bit less opinionated (sorry, I went a bit overboard there): I don't personally understand why females separate themselves from males using the term "Pegasister", but I can accept it and will use the term when it's requested from me. I just won't use it for me.

Right on pegasister (heehee see what I did there. :toldya: ). But I agree!

Bronies are a pretty gender fluid community, and very accepting of people being themselves. Guys dressed as girls, girls dressed as guys, transgender, cisgender, homosexual, heterosexual, pansexual, asexual- It doesn't matter. I've never had an issue with Bronies judging me and treating me badly for being who I am, even if they disagree with me. I know some women want to set themselves outside of the brony label. Many girls I've talked to that hate being called brony and only want to be called a pegasister seem to have a judgement on male bronies that I don't like and I find very rude and based purely on stereotypes of bronies being basement dwellers or losers and not wanting to be associated with that but still liking the show. It really bothers me when girls want to be called pegasister because of that type of view.

I prefer the term brony because it makes us all equal in the fandom and is gender neutral, so if someone identifies as a different gender than they were born, then I wont offend them. 

I'm very traditionally masculine in my personality. I'm very dominant and assertive. I've had people criticize me because 'girls shouldn't be like that!' or 'no one likes a masculine personality in a woman', but I am the way I am. People should be allowed to be however they want. My best friend is male, and he's very sensitive and nurturing, way more than I am, and when he was younger people use to call him names, like 'faggot' and 'girly boy' for it.

I dress punk though, so it kind of gives you more leeway with combining masculine and feminine clothing LOL I was quite a tomboy in school, but mostly because I felt like if I wanted respect, I had to be as boyish as possible. I feel much more comfortable with wearing traditionally female clothing now that I know I can dress male or female and still get respect.

Edited by Antidaeophobia
  • Brohoof 1

I call myself a brony because im not to bothered being labeled. There really is no harm done being reffered to in a fandom. Its like being called a teen. I dont mind ii because its just a name to generalize those of a specific group like boys and girls.

I pretty much call myself what ever I feel like, Brony, fan, fan of ponies, whatever. They all tend to mean the same thing so I could care less. ;)

I call myself a furry XD is that a bad term to use?

Nah, not at all, especially since bronyism has at one point been defined as a sort of sub genre of furry. Now weather or not this is TRUE or not is a whole nother debate. ^_^  

• Brohoof 1