Did you like it?  

476 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Someone finally told Twilight to basically 'shut up' when she was going on one of her friendship speeches. For that, i have to auto applaud Starlight Glimmer, as myself too was saying to myself 'oh god..here comes that friendship speech again to remind how amazing friendship is.' Good show Starlight Glimmer, good show.  :maud:

Pretty decent episode beyond that.  :maud:

Twilight: "Everypony has unique talents and gifts! And when we share them with each other, that's how we---"

Starlight:

• Brohoof 2

It wouldn't have to apply to any specific culture, and could even address some completely random, made up belief (or at least something that's established enough in our society that it's almost universally agreed upon--e.g. people shouldn't be forced to do labor without their consent, people shouldn't endeavor to make others miserable, people shouldn't be judged solely on their appearance--many themes like this are accepted enough that it wouldn't cause any controversy if they were included in the show, and several already has been; that's what makes it a show about good morals!). It doesn't have to pertain to anything in the real world. They could make an episode where the moral is "Don't make fun of others", and the only antagonist is a culture in which mockery is accepted and encouraged.

Oh I see. Maybe that could work…. It would still have to be done very carefully.

I don't find rising the sun and moon to be on the same level as something like screwing around with destiny, which is exactly what taking cutie marks does. It doesn't just remove the symbol, the ponies begin losing their sense of talent altogether. That's dark shit.

Something super specific and disturbing like removing cutie marks is the kind of strange shit you'd expect from Discord, not some random unicorn. So either Starlight's been screwing around with dark magics she shouldn't have been, or she's somehow special in some other manner.

You've got a good point there. We really don't know enough about Starlight Glimmer to know whether or not she was, in fact, a regular Unicorn, or if she's something more sinister. Sunset Shimmer was a normal Unicorn until she became Celestia's student. Then she had access to what I imagine is some pretty elite magic.

So far there are a few ponies we know who have their special talents in generalized magic: Star Swirl, Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, and now Starlight Glimmer. (I'm not including Trixie because she seems pretty talentless, and I think her cutie mark is more about performance value than magical prowess.) There might be some I'm not thinking of, but I think this is a good list of average ponies who became significant because of their talents and studies. Twilight started out as someone completely average, a filly who couldn't even cast a levitation spell, but she turned out to be the Element of Magic. Sunset presumably also started out normally, but was later able to cast teleportation spells, which we know are advanced. I'm guessing Starlight Glimmer grew similarly. They're are all incredibly skilled ponies with normal designs and humble beginnings, average-looking ponies with unusual abilities.

It might be that the ability to mess with cutie marks isn't actually all that special, but because of the morality issues, it isn't something often done. Tirek also messed with the marks, and he was able to do this far before returning to full power.

• Brohoof 1

What would Starlight do to a Blank Flank or a non-Pony?

Dunno about a non-pony, but I think for a blank flank, she would just give them the sameness cutie mark prematurely, and nullify any of their developing talents.

Dunno about a non-pony, but I think for a blank flank, she would just give them the sameness cutie mark prematurely, and nullify any of their developing talents.

Why do I get the feeling she'll probably tempt the CMC in a future episode?

• Brohoof 1

Why do I get the feeling she'll probably tempt the CMC in a future episode?

Oh my gosh, that's an awesome idea! Fingers crossed for that to happen later on!!  :yay:

• Brohoof 1

It might be that the ability to mess with cutie marks isn't actually all that special, but because of the morality issues, it isn't something often done. Tirek also messed with the marks, and he was able to do this far before returning to full power.

That seems to fly in the face of Twilight, one of the most skilled and knowledgeable Unicorns in the setting said that at least normal magic couldn't effect cutie marks. In fact the only other times we see cutie marks manipulated involved some of the most powerful magical artifacts in the setting and being who could absorb and utilize what ever magic he wanted. 

Admittedly this may just be a retcon in order to better integrate the whole "cutie mark magic" toyline in to the show better. I still would say that Starlight's power is something unique she either acquired from discovering her own talent or for some other magical source, be it forbidden arcane knowledge, a currently unknown artifact, or a gift from another magical being.

• Brohoof 1

I think the = cutie mark only appears when removing the true cutie mark of a pony.

I'm not sure she can give it to a blank flank.

• Brohoof 1

I think the = cutie mark only appears when removing the true cutie mark of a pony.

I'm not sure she can give it to a blank flank.

I think you're right. If any of the foals had cutie marks, we should've been able to see at least one of them in this frame. I guess every individual pony must make the decision to give up their cutie mark. That goes along with some of the dialogue better than my theory, too. 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I thought it was better than Return of Harmony. I'm so glad that they returned to this being all about the mane six and not just Twilight, and I'm also glad that it broke a lot of formula: no meeting in Canterlot/Crystal Empire, no Celestia, no taste the rainbow, it was really a refreshing change.

Starlight Glimmer is best villain for me. The reason being is that she doesn't immediately reveal herself as the villain, and instead seems friendly and effective in her philosophy. In fact, the equalists don't seem that evil to begin with, and actually seem happy like Twilight and Fluttershy point out. But what's evil about Starlight is that in order for this system to work, she forces her philosophy and then her friendship on others, and like Applejack says "you can't force no 2 ponies to be friends, it just doesn't work that way." The episode also pointed out a very clear flaw with communism, in order for it to work, everyone needs to be equal except for the dictator. In this case, everyone needs to get rid of their cutie marks apart from Starlight, because she's the one that operates the Staff of Sameness.

Another thing I thought was great is that the towns people don't have all the same views. They've all been brainwashed by Starlight, but some actually want their cutie marks back as shown by the episode. However Starlight Glimmer will not let anyone not have her views, and will brainwash them with nonsense about selfishness.

The song was also good. It's not the best song, but I liked how it explained to younger views how communism works, and how it seems ALMOST like a happy song but with little minor drops. Implying that these people may not be as good as they seem.

It also spoke a very important lesson about friendship, in that differing opinions and personality's can strengthen a friendship rather than weaken it, just like Twilight says how her friends with differences got her to alicornhood. Starlight could and probably will return... I'd love to see her backstory.
  • Brohoof 7

Perhaps the best episodes to date. I really couldn't find anything wrong with them.

Pinkie Pie really shone in this too. It feels like the writers finaly heard all the complaints of her character being dumbed down and returned her subtle intellectual acuity from the parasprite episode.

Starlight is also an excellent villain. Glad she wasn't turned good at the end of the episode.

As a whole the episode is well done critique against marxism in the form of a children's show. You dont see that everyday.

Spectacular.

• Brohoof 5

Personally, I was a little bummed out we didn't see Celesia or Luna at the end, but I like how the other ponies banded together in the end to get the mane six's cutie marks back. Sorry guys, I'm a closet brony at heart still, so I gotta be careful about who's around me.

• Brohoof 1

I LOVED IT!!!!

I loved the theme for it too. Starlights ability in magic is quite impressive and her unique magical spell means that she might be a reoccurring villain as well. The song was pretty good and the philosophy between true equality vs individualism was pretty well written. I hope to see more of starlight in the future. Perhaps at the end of season 5 maybe? Season 5 started out pretty strong and I have the feeling that this arc is all about the spread of Friendship accross equestria and the unification of friendship accross the globe as twlilight reaches her dominance even further than ponyville.

Anypony else agree that Startlight Glimmer is one of the best villains EVER!?

• Brohoof 3

But the Mane 6's Cutie Marks were brute-forced away against their will.

Besides them, of course. The spell obviously didn't require consent to work (as it probably would have had it actually been an enchanted item), but it would make sense that Starlight made sure everyone was consenting until the big fish came along... or at least she brainwashed them into believing they'd agreed, or something similar.

I liked the episode very much. It was a nice break from all the dramatics of previous premiers and finales. I think Starlight Glimmer will return at some point.

Double Diamond is my favorite of the new ponies. :)

• Brohoof 2