Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opinions on stuff?

FlutterSleep

(edited)

Fundamentally, mine is not a theory; it is fact.  Morality is a human invention.  The concept of morality, on this planet, did not appear before we did.

The human brain did not appear before humans appeared. Morality is not necessary for slugs and sea urchins because they don't feel empathy.

And it is digested and regurgitated and questioned and reinvented in every time period in every culture in every human brain.  While it is a survival mechanism of sorts and would generally help one avoid a policeman's baton (seriously, though, don't policeman have guns?  is the baton even the nonlethal go-to for the modern day policeman?), there are still people who will not subscribe to a specific moral perspective.  However popular said perspective might be.

I don't think you're talking about morality at all; you're talking about consequences.  Consequences don't shape morality; consequences shape behavior.  Fear shapes behavior.  A person can still (by this or that person's arbitrary standards) be an immoral individual that simply refrains from committing an immoral act because they fear the consequences of their actions.  Even if they would gladly commit said immoral act were the consequences removed from the equation.  On the other hand, there are people who wouldn't commit an immoral act even if there were no foreseeable consequences.  But whether or not the act is immoral is still decided on an individual basis - and by no means universally agreed upon.  Also, legality and morality aren't the same thing; there have been many laws that I would personally consider immoral.

I'm not talking about consequences at all. There are plenty of studies that suggest, for example, that the behavioral patterns of criminal psychopaths are completely unaffected by prison sentences of all durations. Whether the psychopath believes he is in the wrong is also irrelevant.

The important thing, is that the factor that truly makes murder or rape "wrong" is not in the thoughts and ideas leading to their execution but in their effects on other people. The chemicals resulting from being robbed, assaulted, or raped are the result of an immoral act because these chemicals produce the image of said injustice.

In other words, my biggest point is that "morality" exists because we can "see" it taking place in the brain, and that belief in moral relativism results from a really weird distinction between what humans value and what humans do, which is an illusion.

Because when you choose to do what you feel is right - or choose not to do what you feel is wrong - you've made a conscious decision.  Your actions were not decided by some ridiculous and rigid set of rules.  You said: "This feels wrong.  So I won't do it."  So arguing in favor of objective morality is, in my own personal, entirely dependent upon subjectivity-type opinion...

Immoral.

Because you'd take choice away from everyone.  And, in depriving us of choice and free thinking, you've deprived us of consciously making moral decisions.

There is no such thing as "choice" or "free thinking." The human brain, as powerful as it is, cannot defy the law of cause and effect.

Edited by RadioSilence

In other words, my biggest point is that "morality" exists because we can "see" it taking place in the brain, and that belief in moral relativism results from a really weird distinction between what humans value and what humans do, which is an illusion.

And I bet different brains react differently to different stimuli.  Perhaps someone who thinks homosexuality is immoral has a reaction in the brain when they see two men kissing.  Does that make homosexuality immoral?  Morality is relative.  Because no two brains will consistently react exactly the same way to everything.

And if we're basing this purely on the effect an act has on someone else: What of the serial murderer who awaits the death penalty?  If he experiences a negative reaction in the brain to being put to death for his crimes, does that make putting him to death an injustice?  What if an attempted murder is thwarted and a life is saved in the process?  The guy making the attempt probably won't react well to that.  Does that make preventing the murder immoral?

You've taken morality out of the realm of feeling and empathy and made it about chemicals.  Reduced human compassion and human suffering to chemicals.  Were I you, I wouldn't even want to be right.

Tornadoes are really awesome and cool.

Toyotas are terrible vehicles

Rainbow Dash is best pony

I could careless about politics, it's all lies to me

Golf is a really boring sport

• From 2 miles away. (I've never seen one, and I hope I never do.)
  • Except the 86 GT/GT86/Scion FR-S, Lexus LFA Lexus RC F GT500 (Even though Nissan beat them last year), and the TS040. There also plenty of older ones that are very awesome.
  • That's a weird way to spell Spitfire.  :P 
  • Truth!
  • On TV and when sober. Why do you think people who play golf on the weekends always have booze with them?

I believe games are fun, and that i miss local multiplayer and my friends, i miss to invite people to play with me in this life, who have gone far away to find their own career and purpose in life. I do truly miss them.

Ummm... I hate Joker with a burning passion.

I didn't enjoy Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask.

Before making a judgment, research what it is you are talking about (further than just using Wikipedia and the news).

Nightwing is better than Batman.

DC is better than Marvel in my opinion.

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts wasn't a bad game. It was just unexpected by fans when they heard a new Banjo Kazooie game came out.

Come at me bro(s).

Oh, how could I forget?

I disliked The Walking Dead tv show (not the games or comics though).

Also, I hate Black Butler and One Piece.

Also, 9th and 12th Doctors are best Doctors.

In Fairy Tail, Gray is better than Natsu.

• 4 years later...
(edited)
  • Grand Theft Auto is boring.
  • Shadow the Hedgehog isn't a bad game.
  • White dresses are UGLY.
  • Black and Yellow is a bad color combination. :eww:
  • Goldeneye 007 is not a good game.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 is the best 2D Mario Platformer.
  • 90% of Marvel movies suck.
  • Sports are not very interesting.
  • Men In Black 2 and 3 were both almost as good as the original.
  • Fallout 4 is the best game Bethesda has ever had anything to do with.

Come at me. :P

Edited by ~Angel Dust~

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 6/25/2019 at 9:13 PM, Renegade the Unicorn said:

The Beatles' Fab Four era (1963-1966) is easily their best.

It's actually not because they just made simple, disposable pop tunes until they changed music and did their real artful stuff starting with Revolver 

boom

Edited by Olly

Super Mario Galaxy is the greatest platformer ever made.

Magneto > Doctor Doom

Star Trek: The Next Generation is much better than the original series.

The NBA is extremely overrated... the only widely publicized basketball worth watching is college basketball.

Fortnite is a mediocre game.

Dragon Ball GT isn't actually all that bad.

I agree with the decision to kill off L in Death Note, even though he's also my favorite character in the series.

The Simpsons has been awful since before I was born.

The Star Wars prequels are mostly great, apart from a few cringy bits here and there.

Radiohead was the greatest band to ever come out of the 90s.

• 3 weeks later...

Most mainstream EDM is generic and lifeless as hell. Look at Marshmello - Alone for an example.

Meet the Beatles is better than Please Please Me and With the Beatles as a debut album due to Capitol Records (wisely) deciding to focus on Lennon and McCartney's original songs rather than the covers that predominantly made up the two latter albums, only keeping Til There Was You.

(edited)

More opinions:

• The Thing (1982) is an overrated, and actually quite mediocre film. I would suggest the Shining over the Thing any day, even if they are very different horror films.
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, while a great game in its own right, is in no way among the greatest of all time.
  • Paladins is far superior to Overwatch, even with its bug problem and even if OW was free to play like Paladins is. Though new patches for both are making me more unsure about that.
  • Generations 1 and 2 are my LEAST favorite generations of Pokémon (though 6 is close and 8 threatens to be worse than both).
  • Gearbox is not a bad company at all. In fact, most of the problems that people attribute to Gearbox are actually on 2K as a publisher.
  • Star Trek: ENT's first 2 seasons were on par with the first two seasons of TOS, and if the series maintained the level of quality in those overly serialized atrocities that were the third and fourth seasons, I'd have dared to say that ENT would actually be the better show. Speaking of which...
  • William Shatner is an immensely overreacted actor who must have had the luckiest break in TV history to get ON Star Trek or The Twilight Zone for that matter.
  • Rick and Morty has yet to make an even half decent season finale, and also The Ricklantis Mixup is the show's best episode by far.
Edited by Dustlicious

Wendy's >>>>>> McDonald's

Disney's live action remakes are so unnecessary. The remake of Aladdin may just be better than the original, though. I will admit that. :dash:

The TV version of The Walking Dead is overrated, but the comics are pretty good. I haven't played the Telltale games so I can't form an opinion on them.

The Legend of Korra doesn't quite match Avatar: The Last Airbender's quality, but it's still decent.

5 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Dodge Ram is the best pickup truck brand. 

DON'T need my mind changed. 

And Ford will always be better than Dodge. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, opinions... opinions. :huh:

Final Fantasy 7 is still the best game ever made. Rap isn't real music and should be done away with. Hikaru No Go is a fantastic anime.

Facts. :proud:

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Opinions: Japan Edition!

Honestly, Japanese dubbed anime is as hit-or-miss as English dubbing. A lot of the “emotional acting” and “Kawaii acting” that people claim is better in Japanese dubs is actually overreacting to the point where that’s not even how Japanese people sound at all. The Japanese entertainment industry is crazy about over acting in everything. I’m even told to lighten my voice, smile excessively, and be more “genki” for auditions despite the role not having that many lines of dialogue or no lines at all. Kind of embarrassing actually.

Akihabara and Shibuya are the most overrated districts in Tokyo. If you want better video game or anime deals, go to Ikebukuro instead. Also, Shibuya izakayas are quite expensive so I wouldn’t recommend. Come to Asakusa!

Japan is not as technologically advanced as people think. More people here know how to use a fax machine than a PC for example. Also, banks are almost 80’s in the way they handle things since Japan is primarily a cash-based society.

Japanese medical care might not be the best in the world but at least you can afford to get treated if you need it. My health insurance is literally only less than ¥2,000 a month for 70% coverage on almost everything, including dental care! Take that, ‘Murcia!

Japanese government bureaucracy absolutely sucks! Takes forever to do anything and everything!

If you ever come to Japan, visit Tokyo and Osaka for a couple days at MOST. Visit the countryside!