Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Opinion on Pendulum/Knife Party?

1Bit

Okay, so those who were fans of pendulum and/or are fans of Knife Party probably know about how Pendulum broke up and two of them went on to create what we know as Knife Party. What I was curious about was whether you guys had any opinion on this?

Personally, I dislike the change. I have no problem with the fact that Rob and Gareth had lost heart with Pendulum and wanted to try new things but still, I really wish Pendulum made a return  :( I much preferred their style of music, as did many others.

How about you lot?  :)

• Brohoof 1

I love both bands, so I guess I'm not too upset they split up.  (Mostly because I wasn't really into them until after I got into knife party)
Probably slightly prefer pendulum though tbh.  

Edited by Aleh
  • Brohoof 1

I was first introduced to Pendulum with their "Slam" music video.

This is very sad news indeed.  :blush:

I saw this under "Recent Topics" and I have to say that the idea of this post is amazing when you don't know that you are talking about bands.

I was thinking, "Parties with pendulums and/or knives? How are the pendulums used? Are they used in conjunction with the knives? What about if it's just a pendulum or knife party? Who do you invite to such an event? Are the pendulums and knives provided by the host, or is it BYOP/BYOK?"

So many questions.

• Brohoof 3

I saw this under "Recent Topics" and I have to say that the idea of this post is amazing when you don't know that you are talking about bands.

I was thinking, "Parties with pendulums and/or knives? How are the pendulums used? Are they used in conjunction with the knives? What about if it's just a pendulum or knife party? Who do you invite to such an event? Are the pendulums and knives provided by the host, or is it BYOP/BYOK?"

So many questions.

Well it wasn't the original idea, but now I'm thinking about that too  ^_^

I love both bands, so I guess I'm not too upset they split up.  (Mostly because I wasn't really into them until after I got into knife party)

Probably slightly prefer pendulum though tbh.  

I do like some of KP's songs, but I still prefer Pendulum.  :D Mainly because I'm more into DnB I suppose.  :P

• 5 months later...

To be honest, I love Pendulum as much as I love Knife Party, however their newest songs are beginning to sound more generic. Knife Party are great at making electro house, dubstep and moombahton and deep house, but personally I think they suck at making trap and big room house. At least they're experimenting though.

Quite a lot of electronic artists start out with drum & bass, then more on to other genres (Spor and Ewun for example.) It's really hard to some up who is better since they are incomparable as they produce different genres and styles. It's like comparing Justice to Swedish House Mafia, or Green Day to Mindless Self Indulgence - you just can't.

I do wish Pendulum get back together some day though. :fluttershy:

• 2 months later...

Right now, I am listening to deadmau5 - Ghosts n Stuff ft. Rob Swire (lead singer of Pendulum), which is a coincidence. :lol:

Anyways, about the two groups, I like both of them equally. I prefer Pendulum for their lyrics and instrumental, while I also like Knife Party for the bass drops and the raves. I felt a bit down when I heard that Pendulum broke up a few years ago. Their music was epic. However, when two of the members of Pendulum, Rob Swire and Gareth McGrillen stayed together and formed Knife Party, I deiced to give it a shot, and turns out, the duo is one of the best EDM producers out there. 

Oh, and speaking of Rob Swire, he was asked by someone on Twitter about his opinions on Pendulum's music being played on MLP clop games. Wanna know what he said? "I highly approve".  :blink:

Edited by Ravelicious

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't even know some of the same people worked on those projects. I much prefer Pendulum to Knife Party, personally. Not much of a dubstep person in general, except the melodic variety on occasion.

• 7 years later...

I love Pendulum and KP. There's a lot of interesting stuff behind the scenes that people aren't aware of though which explains why they had to break up in the first place.

Pendulum was doing alright near the mid 2000s but their relationship got strained with DJ Fresh (owner of Breakbeat Kaos, the label that Pendulum was signed to) because he released some unfinished Pendulum work without any consent from Rob Swire (not just him but he's pretty much the brains of the operation). This on top of getting a lot of backlash from another forum "Dogs on Acid" ("DOA; they were very harsh at the time on their huge change in sound but they don't mind it anymore) helped to ruin his passion in the project. The "Reworks" album in 2018 was the last album to apparently get Pendulum out of that contract.

Seems like Rob is enjoying it again. It was probably that stupid contract with the bad mojo that was holding him back from Pendulum. "Nothing for Free" and "Driver" got released seemingly out of nowhere, some additional remixes, lots of touring under the Pendulum name, and there's one which I'm kind of excited about for a studio mix which is their surprise cover of  "Sorry You're Not A Winner" with Rou Reynolds from Enter Shikari. There was a passing mention from Rou saying it might be in the works (and maybe some more?) but not gonna confirm that 100%. Seriously awesome, take a listen if you haven't:

And, there's a YouTube channel that's been doing their best to archive "rare" Pendulum works (some were officially released, others were stitched together from various sets over the years): https://www.youtube.com/@notrobswire

Haven't seen much activity from KP lately though because of Pendulum being revived for real this time.