Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Favorite Childhood Video Game?

Jellal Fernandes

Honestly, I see multiple ways to approach this topic. But, I'll approach it from the angle of "what I think were the best" instead of "what were the most nostalgic" considering I do have a lot of nostalgia for games like Mario Party 7, but that doesn't mean that it was really that good. Same could be said for Dr. Mario 64. I played a lot of both as a kid, but upon reflection thought that neither game was really that fantastic. I'm also considering childhood games ones I began to play before my teen years, so Disgaea doesn't technically count. Here's the four best:

1. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 2. Upon reflection since I played it as a kid, I think I actually UNDERRATED this game back then! I used to think the game was really good, but no masterpiece. But now I see it for what it is more. The game tells it's story in a way that really makes you pay attention, and it has absolutely top notch gameplay with an absolutely astounding interpretation of the mechanics in the main series games. It really succeeds in making Pokémon a more traditional RPG, and it succeeds in making me wish I had a DS so I could play it again (I actually do have a copy of Explorers of Time in my room somewhere!)
  2. Pokémon Diamond. Aside from introducing the stupid-a** Stealth rock s***, this was the best a Pokémon game ever got. It may have had issues with running slow especially later in the game, but I don't care. In every other aspect, it's the PERFECTION of the Pokémon formula! Dark Types were at their best in this generation, after most Dark Type moves became physical (which complemented their high Attack stats), Gym Leaders for the most part were about the right difficulty, and this game was probably when beating the Elite Four felt the most rewarding. Not to mention the MUSIC! ...No wonder this used to be my most played game of all time, before TF2 and then League of Legends. Paladins may even get there soon enough if I could play again...
  3. Super Mario 64 DS. Whoever thought that a remake could be better than the original game? Yeah a lot of people did. But who thought that Super Mario 64's DS port could actually be a better game than even the ORIGINAL? Yeah, that's what I thought. Well, it is. The game had everything the original had (smooth, laid-back gameplay that was just simple fun) with even more flair. Switching characters adds a little more to the game, not to mention I could BINGE those mini-games for HOURS! Take that Thrillville with your s****y mini-games! But best of all, it didn't even fix anything that wasn't broken. So most of the game is more than likely how you remember it! Which all of these combined for anyone nostalgic to the old 1996 title should make for a welcome rendition.
  4. Banjo-Kazooie. Even with some parts being a bit on the hard side, and having an occasionally frustrating camera (when you're underwater particularly), this game remains among my favorites. Most of the time the frustration normally feels more than worth it, and when the game isn't frustrating, it's absolutely amazing. With gameplay mechanics that even 7-year old me who couldn't even tie his shoes yet could admire the artistic qualities of, A soundtrack that's likely top 5 of all time, and how the interactions between Banjo and Kazooie are filled with as much character as they could possibly be, it's no wonder this, even being number 4 on this list, is still in my top ten of all time. Also, if you didn't know, this was the game that made me want to start developing my own games.
Edited by ~Dusky~

I used to play the SNES version of The Lion King and Little Mermaid for HOURS when I was a kid! And it wasn't only to beat the games but also I loved the idea of controlling characters from Disney movies that I liked and exploring their worlds!

I'm an old-school game player, so anything Nintendo, Sega Dreamcast, or Sony Playstation (only the first one) would be for me. I think overall, I would say Tomba and Tomba 2 on PS1 are the best games every created and so underrated.

• 2 months later...

Hot Wheels: Beat That - My first video game.

Other favorites include:

Hot Wheels World Race and Stunt Track Challenge

Destruction Derby Arenas

Flatout 1 and 2

Lego Indiana Jones

Rayman Raving Rabbids

any of the PS2 Spongebob games

The Simpsons Hit and Run

• 1 year later...