Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your opinion of April Fool's Jokes?

Sazama Ichida

The mods are messing with us! If you notice that a post doesn't make sense, it's probably from a bit of JavaScript that got added today.

I noticed that some sentences didn't make sense, and I saw my browser was loading files from raw.githubusercontent.com. This isn't a normal location for the forum's JavaScript to be hosted, so I opened the current page's source and found the script that was loaded from that location.

I saw that the JavaScript had all of its formatting removed ("obfuscated") so I ran it through js-beautify.

post-32888-0-56861200-1427931455_thumb.png

The deobfuscated JavaScript

By looking at the script I was able to confirm that this JavaScript randomly changes words around on the webpage. I was able to find where they got it from, in case you want to do the same thing.

I thought the site re-theme was funny, but this is just plain annoying. KUbAnTY.png  In this case I set my NoScript browser addon to block raw.githubusercontent.com.

• Brohoof 2

They're OK if they're harmless and light-hearted in nature.  And if you truly know the person you wish to prank won't take it badly.  Even Pinkie Pie knows it's not a good idea to play a gag on someone as sensitive as Fluttershy. 

As an aside, I didn't see or overhear any pranks or jokes today.  People at my workplace aren't serious all the time but they rarely do April Fools jokes.  But when I was a kid, this was a major event for us.  I had to constantly be on my toes.  :wacko:

• Brohoof 2

Alright, let's get down here: if you really want to prank someone, just hire 3 guys who have never met the person you want to prank.  Have them put on black clothes and ski masks and hide in the back seat of the prankee's car.  When the prankee gets in after work, they'll pop up with a (fake) gun, and tell the person to drive.  They will lead the prankee to a dark alley and have them park the car.  The hired pranksters will then proceed to handcuff the prankee to the steering wheel.  An unmarked van will then pull up, and back up behind the prankee's car (so the cars are have their rear ends towards each other, that is.).  The pranksters will instruct the prankee to look in the rearview mirror.  The prankee will then see the back of the van open, with more masked men holding their family hostage.  Of course, the family and the guys in the van will all be in on it.  Now, wouldn't that be a great prank?  An instant classic.

I'm kidding.  I hate April Fools.  I have a great sense of humor, but I just don't care for pranks.  It's very easy to unintentionally toy with people's emotions, and that's not cool.  Case in point - last year, when I first became a brony, I confessed my newfound love of mlp to all my friends.  I failed to realize it was April 1st when I did so.  They knew I was serious--that's not the point.  The point is that one of my friends basically rejected me and said some very cruel things.  I didn't know it was April Fools, and...well...I sort of believed him.  It hurt...a lot, actually, until he announced it was an April Fools gag.  This was all through email, btw.  I should have known better--I'm ashamed that I didn't know it was a joke instantly.  I know him better than that.  He's a great guy, and I love him like a brother.  Everything is fine now.  In fact, he never knew that I thought it was real.  I never told him any of this.  Anyway, it's forgotten, but this kind of this isn't cool.  Replacing the white stuff in an oreo with toothpaste is one thing, but hurting someone is different.  Even when you find out that it was fake, the pain you felt at that moment was real, and the memory of it is still real.  I thought I had lost a friend, you know?  A great example of a "prank" that goes too far is Daemon Sadi's big game.  Anyone who's read The Black Jewels Trilogy knows what I'm talking about.  Not easy to forgive something like that.

Oh yes, and I also hate it when websites f*ck things up for April Fools.  Not pointing any fingers here, but it's annoying when you just want to relax on your favorite site, and it's all f*cky text and wacky colors and sh*t.  Now, Bob Barker "guest" hosting the Price is Right, THAT is an April Fools gag I can condone!

One last thing: Pranksters is my favortie episode of Rocko's Modern Life.

• Brohoof 1