Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite and Least Favorite DLC's

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

DLC or 'downloadable content' is something that can either be done incredibly well and add to a video game in many ways or it can be a corporate tool to get more money from gamers. With this in mind, do you all have a particular favorite DLC's for a game? Or how about your least favorite? There are plenty to find for both categories I am sure. You can also just say what type of DLC is your favorite/least favorite.

One of my favorite pieces of DLC has to be The Stone Prisoner from Dragon Age Origins. It gave you many new quests if I remember, a whole new awesome character to have in your party and other additional content, that is how it should be done.

The DLC for the Elder Scrolls games are way up there for me as well. Huh, two western RPG's doing DLC right, weird. Both of these games have DLC that actually enhance the experience and lengthen it too.

A least favorite of mine has to be the map packs for Call of Duty. Take the newest entry Advanced Warfare as an example. In it's map packs, you get: One zombies map, 4 multiplayer maps, and one new gun. All for $15. Given that the multiplayer maps split the community and that one gun is just that, one gun, these packs are not worth it.

This highlights two types of DLC that I cannot stand; Content that is obviously ripped from the base game and sold to us later and DLC that costs a chunk of what the original game costs and does not have the content to justify the price point. That is happening a lot lately. Also, season passes are a pet peeve of mine.

• Brohoof 1

I loved Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare.

It was like a whole other game in itself. Just great! I don't really like zombies, but they really did a fantastic job. And searching around for the 4 horses of the apocalypse was good fun. Some of the errands people needed running. Damn. That was just messed up!

• Brohoof 1

Favorite DLC would be "Dead Kings" for "Assassin's Creed: Unity"

Least favorite DLC would be "Heir to the Throne" for "Europa Universalis III"

Best: Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam. I can't think of another expansion that changed the game in quite the way this one did. BC2 was already one of my favorite shooters, and Vietnam not only improved on the base game, it surpassed it. After downloading this expansion I stopped playing vanilla BC2 almost altogether and moved exclusively to the expansion. It's an absolute masterpiece.

Worst: Mass Effect: Pinnacle Station. I paid $15 to get this piece of shit the day it came out. It was nothing but a few lousy arcadey timed "training" missions and almost no story. I beat it in one sitting, had no fun, and didn't even return to it in future playthroughs. Just last week, I did a full completionist playthrough of the original Mass Effect, and despite vowing to get every last keeper, and every last league of one medallion, and rank up the full 1-50 in one shot, I still didn't add Pinnacle to that list despite it now being free.

• Brohoof 2

Favourite: Hyrule Warriors. You pay a measly ~$15 and you end up with twice as much gameplay(all four major DLCs). On top of that, the base game is exceptional and you can easily get your money's worth without spending even a single extra cent.

Least Favourite: Destiny. I'm still waiting for the full game to come out.

• Brohoof 3

Favourite: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea (Episodes 1 and 2). DLC for BioShock Infinite set in the city of RAPTURE! That alone should make you say "Shut up and take my money!". The city of Rapture in this DLC is just so beautiful and it's nice to see Rapture before the events of the first BioShock. Not to mention the return of characters and items from the first BioShock game. God, I love this DLC! :D

Least favourite: Destiny: The Dark Below. Same shit, different day. All it adds is a couple of campaign missions, which are as bad as the campaign missions in the base version of the game. And it adds another Raid. But I have NO FUCKING ACCESS to it because none of my friends play Destiny! Oh, and I can't access the GUNS that are in this DLC because, again, I can't play the Crota's End raid. So basically, I payed €20 for something which intentionally locks me out of it's content! Fuck this DLC, and fuck Destiny!

• Brohoof 2

Best: The "Reborn" DLC for F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin. Basically this DLC allowed you to put yourself in the shoes of a Replica clone. Extremely cool as it added a whole nother campaign for you to enjoy to its fullest, even giving you command of one of their mechs.

Worst: tbh, I haven't had any bad DLC experiences yet. I'll come back later if I experience one.

Favourite: BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea (Episodes 1 and 2). DLC for BioShock Infinite set in the city of RAPTURE! That alone should make you say "Shut up and take my money!". The city of Rapture in this DLC is just so beautiful and it's nice to see Rapture before the events of the first BioShock. Not to mention the return of characters and items from the first BioShock game. God, I love this DLC!

How did I not think of that? Yeah, Burial at Sea was amazing. 

(edited)

Favourite: Civilization V: Brave New World

It just added so much more to the game and boosted the game's replay value a tonne. It helped reinvigorate my passion for Civ 5 as the vanilla version of the game quickly got boring and repetitive.

Least Favourite: L.A Noire: A Slip of the Tongue

It was a boring investigation.

Edited by Coloris
  • Brohoof 1

I really don't like the idea of DLC and find it annoying. I always preferred complete games without having to download something.

But my favorite DLC is Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash Bros, and new tracks in Mario Kart 8.

• Brohoof 2

Least Favorite - Definitely Street Fighter X Tekken, if for no other reason than it being the worst example of on-disc DLC, especially when they're charging $20 for it

Favorite - I'm really liking FE:Awakening's DLC, but I'm gonna throw my vote for RDR Undead Nightmare as well, or most Rockstar DLC in general

Favorite:

Either Point Lookout for Fallout 3, or Wrath of the Lamb for The Binding of Isaac.

Point Lookout is one of my favorite locations in Fallout 3, and there was a bunch of a cool stuff to find and do.

Wrath of the Lamb adds so much content to the game, and makes an amazing game even better. It's also extremely cheap.

Least Favorite:

I guess Mothership Zeta from Fallout 3. It was a really boring, and not a whole lot to do. The items you get were pretty cool though.

Best: Mass Effect 3' s Citadel DLC. It's blatant fan service and I love every minute of it. There was not a single moment that I was not grinning like a fool.

Worst: Mass Effect 3's Javik DLC. This is less about the content and more about the delivery. This was day one DLC, which sucks in it's own right. It gives you a Prothean crew member. If you don't know Mass Effect, the protheans are all suppose to be dead and most of our technology is based on theirs, so this guy is a big fucking deal. Hes pretty important to the story, so you arn't really getting the whole game unless you pay for their extra DLC the very day that the game comes out. I bought it anyway because I'm a fanboy, but I was pissed.

• Brohoof 1

Favorite: Bloodmoon, for Morrowind. I probably spent more time on Solstheim than I did on Vvardenfell.

Least Favorite: Pretty much any reskin or cosmetic DLC. That stuff should be free and unlockable in-game.

• Brohoof 2

I really don't like the idea of DLC and find it annoying. I always preferred complete games without having to download something.

But my favorite DLC is Mewtwo and Lucas in Smash Bros, and new tracks in Mario Kart 8.

DLC is supposed to be extra content after the game is released.

Companies thinking of it as anything otherwise is evil.

So far I don't really have a lot of experience with DLC so I don't have a lot to compare to.

But so far my favorite DLC would have to SSBU and SSB3DS having Mewtwo (one of my favorite Smash Characters) return as a playable character and only costs like 4-5 dollars!  There is also Lucas who was announced recently and he was one of mains in brawl so I am happy that he is returning to smash as well.

Personally my least favorite DLC would have to be from games filled with microtransactions such as on your mobile devices as it gets really annoying and eats up too much of your money.

Favorite DLC : battlefield bad company 2 - vietnam expansion. It honestly could have been a standalone game. All the new weapons, different HUD, new vehicles, new maps. It was incredible. 

Least Favorite DLC : Destiny. The game itself and all the DLC's...just poor quality.

• Brohoof 2

@,

Best: Call of Duty Map Packs For TREYARCH only. The zombie maps in every pack are worth the 15 dollars by themselves!

Worst: I'm not liking the new paid outfits Nintendo is doing with the new Super Smash Bros...

11084140_416317015208651_319105315790093 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite: Any map pack for a call of duty game since it gives me more maps to play which brings me back right at the moment i start to get bored of the game

Least Favorite: Any Gun camo DLC for COD games as for Black ops 2 alone costs about i think $20-$40 in different camo downloads

the protheans are all suppose to be dead and most of our technology is based on theirs,

Actually, our technology is based on Reaper tech. The relays, the citadel, all of it was left behind by the Reapers to ease ascension. The Protheans, like the modern races, simply found it.

• 2 years later...

Time for me to revive my thread! The reason being is that I have a new DLC to add to my favorites list. Now, I don't own a PS4, so I also don't own the Crash N' Sane trilogy, but I have to give a lot of respect to how they did DLC for the game. Releasing previously never released levels, which is already very cool on its own, but then releasing them for FREE? I had such a hard time believing that an Activision product would have such a thing, Sony must really have their hands deep into the marketing for the game itself because Activision would definitely charge for this if they had their way.

So there is a really good instance of DLC being done well I think.

• Brohoof 1

Favorite: Last of Us's Left Behind. I think it's a little pricey, but at least you don't feel ripped-off because it has good content and it's great to make another playthrough. I could also mention Castlevania Lords of Shadow Reverie and Resurrection, but they're a bit too pricey for the length they've offered  

Worst: Yoda in Soul Calibur IV, and Jill and Shuma-Gorath in Marvel VS Capcom 3. Only found out later that they where already in the game behind a paywall. Felt ripped-off

In general I wait for ultimate or GotY editions to get games that have lots of DLC. I don't like to shell cash out for stuff. The only time I've ever really done so was  the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow games. They were expensive ($10 for each one, for each game) but I definitely thought they added to the game.

That's what I'd consider the worst just from the fact that they were overpriced as fuck.

Any DLC that comes in new versions is a huge plus for games I've yet to play. Destiny coming with all the big story DLCs, Dragon Age: Origins' Ultimate Edition, and Dragon's Dogma's Dark Arisen version are all amazing.

In Destiny's case I'd have been suuuuper disappointed in the game if I had just played the base game. It kinda needs the Taken story arc to feel like a complete story. Unfortunately the Iron Banner stuff seems largely useless except to give a reason for powered up enemies.