Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Happy Spark is King

What do you think  

21 users have voted

1. 1. Should i start a shrine to all my fandoms

• Yes, that would be amazing
    • No dude thats wierd
    • I really could care less

I have a ton of merchandise for a ton of different fandoms. Most of them are my little pony but i also take interest in alot of other things. The thumbnail is just a picture of my desk. Turn around and you see a whole room full of this stuff. Should i start a shrine, i know that sounds stupid but why not. These fandoms have become a huge part of my life and many times have helped out of dark places. What do you guys think. Also here is a little challenge, comment down below if you can find mordecai from regular show.

post-30620-0-65961500-1428167645_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 7

That's an awesome idea ! If it represents your personality, go for it, it will speak volumes to people seeing it and give a nice energy to the room. Wish I had my shrine with mane 6 and mostly apple family ... ^_^

• Brohoof 4

It is weird. I'm not one to judge, but it's a bit strange. Why not just have them on a shelf or something?

Yeah i could but all my shelves are filled with a ton of more items like these so my thoughts were of maybe getting a super huge display to put in a wall in my room then put all my merchandise their and you know i wont do wierd stuff like dance around with a fire around it or pray to it like a god but you know its there as soemthing i could use to describe me as a person and what my life is

• Brohoof 2

In the end it's your decision OP, but I don't recommend calling it a shrine. I know exactly how you feel about fandoms and media helping you through dark times, because that happens to me a ton, especially with MLP. In my mind, though, a shrine is strictly something dedicated to God. I'm uncomfortable with making a shrine or using any other religious practices for anything other than God, no matter how good it is. 

You could make a special shelf for it or something to make it stand out and denote its importance and meaningfulness without having a religious connotation to it. 

This is pretty gray territory, though. Many things outside of religion itself have strong spiritual value for me, including MLP, but that's a markedly different field for me than religion itself. MLP plays an important role in my life and my happiness but I don't worship it or replace God with it. I'm not really a Christian either, but I still believe in God, just in a bit of a different way. I view religion as a subset of my spirituality. Christianity and Buddhism are the two religions I adhere to the most. I replace some core tenets with other spiritual ideas, and for other ideas religion takes supremacy. An example of the latter would be ideas revolving around any shrine, location, building, object, etc dedicated specifically for the worship of God. The specifics of this are beyond the scope of this post.

In conclusion, OP, I don't think your idea is weird, it's just not something I would personally do.

• Brohoof 2

In the end it's your decision OP, but I don't recommend calling it a shrine. I know exactly how you feel about fandoms and media helping you through dark times, because that happens to me a ton, especially with MLP. In my mind, though, a shrine is strictly something dedicated to God. I'm uncomfortable with making a shrine or using any other religious practices for anything other than God, no matter how good it is. 

You could make a special shelf for it or something to make it stand out and denote its importance and meaningfulness without having a religious connotation to it. 

This is pretty gray territory, though. Many things outside of religion itself have strong spiritual value for me, including MLP, but that's a markedly different field for me than religion itself. MLP plays an important role in my life and my happiness but I don't worship it or replace God with it. I'm not really a Christian either, but I still believe in God, just in a bit of a different way. I view religion as a subset of my spirituality. Christianity and Buddhism are the two religions I adhere to the most. I replace some core tenets with other spiritual ideas, and for other ideas religion takes supremacy. An example of the latter would be ideas revolving around any shrine, location, building, object, etc dedicated specifically for the worship of God. The specifics of this are beyond the scope of this post.

In conclusion, OP, I don't think your idea is weird, it's just not something I would personally do.

Yeah i geuss i shouldnt call it a shrine cause i dont worship my famdoms. They are a part of me but no way they are gods to me. I just want my collection to mean more than toys on the shelf

• Brohoof 2

Yeah i geuss i shouldnt call it a shrine cause i dont worship my famdoms. They are a part of me but no way they are gods to me. I just want my collection to mean more than toys on the shelf

Dude, you are an atheist.

If you want to call it a "shrine" (because if "it looks like one", is easier to explain "what it is" rather than to describe "how it is"); just place the alicorn of your preference (a butterfly winged Rarity also counts) in the center; there is no need to actually "worship" her.

The clear advantage of a "shrine" over a shelf is the bigger volume/surface ratio that you can use for your merchandising display (you can always add extensions, supports or strings from the ceiling to fill the gaps); reducing the footprint of your fandom on the taxes you had to pay for having a home.

• Brohoof 1

The subject of this topic has little potential to spark discussion between many members and, as such, would be better suited to a status update or a blog. When creating a thread, please remember that the goal is to start a conversation with room for many people to chime in and give their own viewpoints on, and that sharing events of an anecdotal nature would be better done elsewhere.