Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP making more likeable male characters in season 5

Buck Testa

(edited)

One of the major highlights of the premier was the likability factor of some of the male characters (at least when they weren't grinning like the joker in a cult). 

I want to see more of these two, Double Diamond and Party Favor. Especially Party Favor. 

img-3640197-1-ibkZ88.gif

(Dem balloon skills tho) 

I have a feeling Party Favor in particular is going to be making an appearance again, specifically due to his color scheme and the fact that he seems to be another Party Pony

img-3640197-2-Party%20Favor%20and%20Pink

(that "pinkie getting a coltfriend" rumor may not be so off after all)

I am happy that more likable male characters have been introduced into the show, with characters like snips and snails making the dudes look bad its really refreshing to have better characters coming onto the scene. 

I hope this is signs for things to come!

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 7

The addition of new male characters who not only had a lot of lines, but played a central role to the premiere, is the central reason for why I enjoyed the premiere. You're right, having the most often seen male characters be dips like Snips and Snails got real obnoxious, as did the fact that most of the other recurring male characters either didn't ever say anything (Big Mac) or rarely showed up (Soarin, Thunderlane, etc).

I'm really hoping this wasn't just a one-shot that happened in this particular storyline, but a sign of a trend we'll see throughout the rest of the season. This show needs more likable, reoccurring male characters. Yeah sure, the show's target audience is young girls and their parents, but that doesn't mean the show needs or should be nothing but chicks. Girls will interact with boys plenty throughout their life, for that reason alone there should be more male characters. The other reason being, the primary protagonists are all chicks, so why not have more of the new side characters be males?

Every season since S3 has added something new to the series I really enjoyed. S4 began to build upon the MLP universe a lot by exploring new themes and places. Let's hope S5 will be having more likable male side characters with both dialogue and relevance to the storyline.

• Brohoof 7

Its nice to have some good male leads outside of Mac and Sorin a bit!  I like

Party Favor due to the courage he shows in trying to protect his friends in the

questioning with Glimmer and woud LOVE to see more of him!

Me seeing likable stallions in MLP:FIM? Clearly the world is about to end because i never figured i'd like the two new male faces as much as i did. I do feel their designs(along with the 2 mares we saw) were quite 'premium' so to say. It certainly din't look tacky or outright lazy. Tho..their voices(the 2 stallions) could use a little work imo, but that's nitpicking.   :maud:

As much as i hate the general design of stallions(the muzzle for one), they weren't too shabby, especially balloon guy Party Favor(honestly that name bugs the hell outta me, not sure why..). I admit, i like his mane and..balloon..ness(?). :maud:

I sortof hope they all show up again. Hell, i sortof hope(long shot hope) that they become part of the mane cast in a way, or atleast show up in episodes. I think more faces might do us some good in the long run. Atleast give em' a little attention..oooor just toss them aside after one episode, can't say i'd shed tears either way at this point.. :maud:

(that "pinkie getting a coltfriend" rumor may not be so off after all)

If this is true i will pull a Fukkatsu no F Frieza and ragequit deathball this fucking planet. I don't mind stallions getting some attention and care -- hell even joining the mane 6 on adventures ect, but the minute they start mane 6 shipping because 'reasons' and 'their names go good together'; this planet is fucking dust, dust i tell you:maud:  

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I think the idea of Pinkie x Party would be cute (I can already hear the Mac/Pinkie shippers raging :lol:) the show is WAY past due for some more likeable male characters other then big mac, soarin and thunderlane. I hope this premiere is a sign of things to come for the show overall. I Thought the balloon making was a bit forced though. I mean seriously couldn't one of the Pegasus get over the gap

Edited by KingFlame1990

I really enjoyed seeing Party Favor in action and would not mind seeing him again. So far, I've seen a lot of likeable stallions in this episode alone and I won't mind seeing more stallions that are not simply background fluff. To what extend they stretch the balance between male and female characters is not important in my books. I'd rather have only two or three likable stallions than a bunch of them just hammered in for the sake of having them there.

I'm absolutely honest, I liked it on the one hand but on the other hand it didn't bother me at all so far that there haven't been many male characters in the show. This show profits from likable characters just as much as it profits from believable characters.

The only thing I really didn't like about the stallions in this episode (but that's a personal thing) were their voices. Not because the voice actors were bad (they really weren't), it just didn't work for me.

Its nice seeing male characters getting more prominent roles. It does offer a nice change up from just the mane six. But it isnt of great importance to me. As long as the episodes are good, I dont mind.

Yay? I mean more males is a good thing, yet I prefer giving more screen time to the males we've already establish (Big Mac, Discord and *clears throat* SPIKE!!!! Come on writers, you can do a lot with Spike). I also dislike introducing new character just to establish relationships with the main cast. (Also the fact that the Mane 6 must all be straight *cough*RarijackFTW*cough* but that's another topic). I'm not saying no to more one shot stallions or the like, but you have to be careful about what you put into them, cause you could end up with an a-hole or another Flash Sentry depending on how you write them.

(edited)

It's not that new actually.

In seasons 1-2 there was like 90% of female characters (main characters or in crowds...).

But from season 4 there have been more and more male characters, important (Cheese Sandwich, Seabreeze...) but especially in crowds.

I hope they will continue this trend. :)

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I noticed that too. Heck, my parents were even like "Oh my god male ponies!" xD I've noticed that the new stallions have caught on just as much as the villain did, and that says a lot. There's definitely some more male figures showing up now that do more than be background ponies. Of course there were already two or three male figures with roles, but they weren't really much of a role. So it's good to see! The stallions look promising too!

I'm glad there's more male characters too! The season premier was so awesome! I hope Party Favor does show up again. Like hopefully he and Pinkie go on a mission or something!  :lol:  :lol:  :derp: 

(edited)

Well they've made other likable male characters before. Big Mac, Soarin', Fancypants, Breaburn, Bulk Biceps. What is Spike, chopped liver? It's not that unheard of.

I do like how Party Favor and Double Diamond, along with Sugar Belle and Night Glider almost seemed to make a second pony hero team like the Mane Six. I'd totally watch a spin off with those four hanging out, learning about friendship, solving problems, and fighting comunists bad guys!

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

This is one thing I liked about the new episode. In the past seasons it was like Equestria was a female dominated society and it was mostly the mares who held big positions. Glad to see we have some good Male characters with some proper dialogue and that they helped Mane 6 in a big way rather than being minor side-characters.

I am happy that more likable male characters have been introduced into the show, with characters like snips and snails making the dudes look bad its really refreshing to have better characters coming onto the scene. 

I hope this is signs for things to come!

Agreed, the only notable male characters in the show right now are Shining Armor, Big McIntosh, and Bulk Biceps; then the one timers like Prince Blueblood, Iron Will, and Cheese Sandwich (apologies if I'm missing one!) They do a pretty fair job for the most part, but I certainly wouldn't mind a more reoccurring male character in the show.

I'm surprised how people seem to forget about Fancypants, the only dignified Canterlot citizen in the show.

Edited by SpaceOnion