Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Next MLP game -- Plan discussion and help needed

Time Shield

I haven't had much time to work on this lately, but I haven't put it aside. I've given the ghosts some thought though, and I figure f they represent other ponies trapped by the artifact's curse long ago, it makes sense for them to be in the forest, and why they're ponies as well.

For anyone interested, I'm going to stream myself running through Twilight Escape very shortly (assuming I can get Twitch streaming to work), followed by working on Fluttershift (probably a little more boring in comparison).

http://www.twitch.tv/timeshield

Well, I got streaming to work, but nobody showed up.  Maybe I'll just stream some random games next time.

May I suggest a name? I'm no good at making games but want to contribute someway.

So if Fluttershy represents the element of kindness, and ghosts are all shadowy and spooky *insert sound effects here*

What about 'Shadows of Kindness'? Or something like that?

(edited)

Not sure if your still taking ideas on Fluttershift or not. If not just ignore rest of post.

You could always have Angel go off and have Fluttershy try and follow him and they get separated and she stumbles or trips over the artifact. Angel does seem to run off quite a bit. You then could have "hopefully" a happy ending where she gets rid of the artifact and meets up with Angel again.

You could limit the fly ability to more of a slight hover or extended jump but higher then the jump function in Twilight Escape. This could allow slight platforming such as jumping on rocks/cliffs which would use her talent but also limit it so you can spam it or have an unlimited duration. You could say the artifact weights her down a bit. You could also have the forest leaf-locked like in deep woods to act as a ceiling. You could also use these "platforms" to help hide the artifacts.

Setting can be the woods but you might be able to put some cliffs or rocks to help change things. As some others said a cave might be nice or even a tunnel. You might want the ending be placing the artifact on a pedestal and then having the cave rumble and you have to escape it and you end up running into Angel.

If you don't feel like animating ghost ponies which I could understand you could make them spirits or even a generic ghost shape like a pony with a sheet cover or something. Maybe even a 3D version of the Pacman ghosts without the colors. I like the idea of having animals but you could limit it to 1-2 models. The idea that some of the animals can be possessed and some not and allowing the non possessed animals to help calm Fluttershy. Fluttershy can communicate with animals maybe some people forgot or didn't remember. So if you do have animals you could have them hit at how the artifact got there recently and possible make the story more creep in a sense.

The one thing I liked about Twilight Escape was how the UI was pretty balanced yet minimal. Nothing was wasted or seem unnecessary. Since you don't have to worry about mana/magical bar you could put something like a heart beat monitor or soemthing similiar to show the fear. Ideally it be better to have slight visual disturbances which could possible increase but that is probably asking too much. You could if you don't like that idea use sound and have her heart beat faster and faster. Other then these I don't know of any other methods to show fear.

As for artifact sonar/radar, a map is nice but it also kills immersion since the tech just isn't in their universe. With that you could do something similar to how Twilight opened doors and show a piece of the artifact with a slight glow or even give it a particular effect possibly having the particulars float away and towards the other piece maybe even at faster speeds if close. If thats too complicated you could always try a shifting color to indicate if your hot/cold... kinda like dark purple for cold and almost a blue for hot or something. You might have to animate a hoof tho. You might have to animate a coupld for opening doors and such.

Would love to help you make your game. Unfortunately I can't since I lack the skills to do so. Even tried going to college to learn, sadly college well it screwed itself more ways then one.

Edited by Zyfer

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted about this in a while, mostly because I haven't really worked on it in a while.  I'd still like to though, but I haven't been able to find anyone who can help me with the pony models and animations I need.  Alternatively, if anyone knows where I can find animated pony models that work in Unity, I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know.  Thanks!

Hello @Time Shield! Your topic is asking for and searching for people on developing your next MLP game, and as such, I have moved your topic from Other Fanworks to the Other Art Help section, which can be found in Creative Resources.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

There is a way to get pony models for SFM or Gmod into a format that is compatible with the Blender Source Tools, so you can import the model into Blender, work on it and then export it into a format that is compatible with the Unity Engine. Most SFM pony model creators are also okay with one using one or more models for a game as long as proper credit is given, yet one should always ask before one actually uses them.

I could give you links and such right now, yet I would like to wait first, since I am not sure if you would even do it that way.

I'm aware of those models, but I have zero modelling or rigging experience, so the models are actually no use to me as they are.  What I need is someone with that experience that can help me.

Also, I'd like to add that I have no 3D animating experience either, so even if the models were already rigged, I couldn't animate them myself anyway.

Edited by Time Shield

Okay, firstly, awesome idea  :lol: secondly, I'll throw in a couple of ideas for ya  :P

How does Fluttershy find out what the artifact did to her and what she needs to do to lift the curse?

She could be searching for Angel Bunny in the forest, coming across a ruined castle/temple (similar to the Castle of the Two Sisters) where, she locates this piece of the artifact, glowing softly. When she touches it, she gets all the flashy visions of the other world, but when she recovers, she is able to see  mysterious writing on all the walls of the temple/castle which couldn't be seen before. They vaguely tell her about needing to put the artifact back together in order to remove the curse.  :) 

Right now, the levels would just be various forest areas, and that could lack variety.

Add in cave systems or small buildings/shacks that you encounter every now and then, perhaps even set some levels within a larger cave system to break up the forest levels  :lol:

• 2 months later...

So I haven't posted about this in a while.  I haven't had a lot of time to work on this, but I have made some progress:

• I've come up with a visual effect to apply on the screen for Fluttershy doing the Stare.  It zooms in slightly and has speed lines around the edges of the screen.
  • In connection with the Stare, I've decided that it can freeze ghosts in their tracks, but they resume moving again afterwards or if you look away.  If you stare for long enough, they'll go away, and the amount of time it takes depends on how calm Fluttershy is (more calm = getting rid of them faster).  I need to find a way to keep people from spamming it though; it costs stamina, but properly managed you don't need to use that much of it.
  • I've decided to ground the ghosts (no flying ghosts), because then I can use Unity's pathfinding system, which doesn't work in the air.  Fluttershy will now be able to fly to get away from them, but of course can't stay in the air forever.
  • The ghosts have different behaviors, which are increasingly more difficult to deal with.  A ghost can change behaviors to a more difficult type over time.  Driving them away with the Stare will 'de-level' them to an easier type, but not get rid of them completely.
  • Most of the core mechanics are in place.  Fluttershy can trot, gallop, jump, fly, close her eyes to calm herself, and do the Stare (plus one more ability that relates to the game's story).  Ghosts currently have 4 different behaviors, and I might add additional ones if I can figure them out.
  • I have rigged pony models, but still don't really know how to animate them.  As such, the pony ghosts are in the game visually, but kind of just slide around right now.  The only visible part of Fluttershy is going to be her hoof, (when she's using the other ability I mentioned earlier), so that doesn't need to be animated.

I'll update again the next time I have more progress on it.

• 3 months later...

Is the game still progressing, or has it been shelved for now?

It's on a temporary hold until I find more time to work on it.  It shouldn't be that much longer before I get back to it, hopefully.

• 1 year later...

Well, okay then... Turns out it was quite a while longer than I expected before I could start working on Fluttershift again.  But I have recently started up on it again, and I got a basic area of it more or less finished (might still need some adjustments).  Currently I'm using some temporary sounds for the ghosts (some I used in Twilight Escape), the ambient music from Twilight Escape, and Twilight's voice clips (which will be replaced once I find someone to do Fluttershy's voice).  I've recorded a sample video of gameplay as it currently stands (This is still work in progress, mind you, but it's proceeding quite well, all things considered):

Notable things in the video:

• You can see Fluttershy checking an artifact periodically.  She's looking for another artifact piece, randomly placed somewhere in the woods.  It pings higher/faster the closer she is to it.
  • The top yellow bar indicates how calm she is.  Seeing ghosts reduces it slowly, contact with them reduces it greatly.
  • The more afraid she is, the more likely she is to shift into the dark world.  In the dark world, contact with the ghosts is lethal, which you see at the end of the video.
  • Sometimes you can see Fluttershy closing her eyes.  This is to calm herself down, which also leaves her vulnerable, so it's best to do it when there are no ghosts around.
  • Her flying lets her avoid the ghosts easier (since they can't fly), but it drains stamina, and she can't fly as fast as she can gallop, so it's better to just run sometimes.
  • I remind you that she is temporarily using voice clips from Twilight Escape, so that's why she sounds like Twilight right now instead of Fluttershy.

Feedback appreciated!

*EDIT*  Also, just realized that the volume on the video is lower than expected.  Sorry about that.

Edited by Time Shield
  • Brohoof 1