Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Sugar Belle be related to Sweetie and Rarity at all?

Note Wise

I was thinking of this. Interesting how they all seem to have the same last name (At least I think Rarity's last name would be Belle.) plus they're all unicorns. But I can also see why they wouldn't be, as Sugar Belle is a baker and not into dress making or fashion(As far as we know.) plus, unlike Sweetie and Rarity, Sugar doesn't have a white coat to her.

What do you all think? Do ya think it's a possibility at all? 

• Brohoof 4

It's possible, though if it was true it's strange that it was never mentioned as such by Rarity, though it's possible that Sugar is a distant relative who just lives far away.

• Brohoof 1

Well, when you think that Pinkie and Applejack are related, and they didn't know until Twilight found something that hinted that they may be related, I wouldn't be surprised if they were. Plus, Equestria is a pretty big place. I have a good friend and we just happen to be distant cousins, which we didn't know till 9 months ago.

I was thinking of this. Interesting how they all seem to have the same last name (At least I think Rarity's last name would be Belle.) plus they're all unicorns. But I can also see why they wouldn't be, as Sugar Belle is a baker and not into dress making or fashion(As far as we know.) plus, unlike Sweetie and Rarity, Sugar doesn't have a white coat to her.

It could be proof that Pinkie is related to Rarity, not Applejack.

(edited)

It's a good idea, but if you notice the Apple family, they usually share the same first name. Of course Big Mac is the obvious one who doesn't fit the rule.

If that was the only case though, Sugar Belle would be related to Sugar Twist. But with the Cakes, they all share the last name.

Maybe it just varies from family to family and like in our world, people share some names. Like in my family, I got my father's first name as my last. But my dad got his ancestral family name as his last. So they could be related but most likely not.

Edited by estoc

Names are weird and inconsistent in FiM. Even if Belle really is Rarity's last name, which is headcanon as the show's staff haven't made it official, it's possible that it could be a very common surname. My surname is exceptionally common, and was actually a Scottish clan name awarded to everyone who participated in a certain battle at some point, or so I've been told. What that means is that it's no indication that other people with the same surname have even a distant relationship to me that can be traced back to the same ancestors. Also, Sugar could just as easily be the name Sugar Belle's lineage can be traced by given how inconsistent names are in Equestria. Therefore, my stance is that the possibility exists that there's a distant relationship with Rarity there, but it's never going to be anything more than a possibility. I'm sure that won't stop fans from creating corresponding fanfic and maybe even shipfic though.

I don't think so. Pony names don't follow the same rules as ours. It's more similar to a family naming there children something like Adam, Aaron, and Amy. They're similar because the parents wanted to show more of a connection between them. And since the Apple family takes tradition very seriously, they've all named their children the way they did to show how deep the connection is between all of them.

(edited)

Though some ponies have last names, Pinkie and Maud for example, for this theory to make sense Rarity has to be confirmed to have the last name Belle and she doesn't. She also didn't recognize her supposed relative, so that's good confirmation they're not related.

Edited by bronislav84

so a profession/ passion determines whether you're blood related or not? =_=

also- I highly doubt that there's just one family with "Belle" as their surname in Equestria.

As it's been said before, it's possible. I'm sure whoever names Sugar had that on their mind as some point, haha. I could see it happening, but it'll remain unknown unless we ever hear back from Meghan about it.

No I don't think "Belle" is Sweetie Belle's last name. I think it's a hyphenated name, and we actually never know what is the characters' last name.

I'm not even sure ponies of the same family share a last name like us.

Edited by Blobulle

I think it's hard to define what is the equivalent to our last names in Equestria. Think about the families we've seen so far: for example, the Apple family have an apple-themed name, but not always 'apple' in their names, such as Big Mac and Granny Smith. Or both Pinkie and Maud have 'pie' in their names, but Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor have two different names.

Also, if Rarity and Sugar Belle were related, they would have at least recognized each other, unless they are distant relatives.

• Brohoof 1

• 11 months later...

Colors: Rarity and Sweetie Belle's mother is pink with purple mane... like Sugar Belle. 

Interests: Pinkie Pie is from a rock family, but she doesn't work on a rock farm. Rarity's parents don't show to be fashionistas. In fact, Cookie Crumbles ,Rarity's mother, seems to be a baker... like Sugar Belle. 

Belle makes sense to be Rarity's last name. It would describe her: Rare Beauty. 

It is my headcanon that they're related. 

How could Rarity's last name be Belle. Rarity Belle sounds weird, the name Rarity sounds like it ends with Rarity. Not all families in MLP have last names only the ones for gimicky reasons like the Cakes and Pies.

How could Rarity's last name be Belle. Rarity Belle sounds weird, the name Rarity sounds like it ends with Rarity. Not all families in MLP have last names only the ones for gimicky reasons like the Cakes and Pies.

I think Rarity Belle sounds great. Maybe Rarity thinks it's weird and just goes by her first name. It's funny how she's the only member of her family to not have a last name. Rarity, Sweetie Belle, Cookie Crumbles, Hondo Flanks. I'm pretty sure Dash is Rainbow's last name, considering how she puts words between Rainbow and Dash when making up middle names. (Rainbow Professionalism Dash)

I think Rarity Belle sounds great. Maybe Rarity thinks it's weird and just goes by her first name. It's funny how she's the only member of her family to not have a last name. Rarity, Sweetie Belle, Cookie Crumbles, Hondo Flanks. I'm pretty sure Dash is Rainbow's last name, considering how she puts words between Rainbow and Dash when making up middle names. (Rainbow Professionalism Dash)

Pony names aren't like human names save for a few exceptions. How are those last names when they are in the same family with different last names? Those names are more like names like Mary Ann, Mary Jane or like Chinese names.

I don't think double barreled pony names always function as first and last names in the same way as real life. Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor are siblings, after all. Sweetie Belle's first name is Sweetie Belle, she's hardly ever called just "Sweetie". The only pony family that does seem to have a canon surname of sorts is the Pie family. Pinkie's an outlier anyway, since she has a definite first, middle and last name. (Pinkamena Diane Pie) With Rainbow Dash, she does get called just "Rainbow" with frequency, so you could take Dash as a surname. For Sweetie Belle, not so much.

Anyway, who is Sugar Belle?

• 2 years later...