Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are any of the MLP characters hateable?

Midnight Gaze

@
@@Megachangeling12

I feel that Diamond Tiara needs to be slapped or is in need of a disciplinary beating. Some may say that's extreme but I think such a punishment would be suitable. DT, from what I see, is a spoiled and self-entitled child who was never seriously disciplined for her actions... not that such a thing would actually happen in MLPFIM.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think I've ever really hated a character (save King Sombra, but I think everyone hated him for poor development lol), but I did not like the Mane six minus Pinkie Pie in the way they treated Maud Pie. I felt they were being a little selfish, personally.

I was right there with them, because Maud was SUCH A KILLJOY. For a while, it felt like the lesson of the episode was going to be that not everyone can be friends (a worthwhile and important lesson that we all have to learn at some point), but unfortunately the episode copped out and came up with a solution that doesn't. Work. At. All.

Regardless, it's not selfish to not want to be around someone that you don't enjoy being around. That's normal and perfectly reasonable. It would be selfish for someone to insist that someone who doesn't enjoy their company set aside time for them to be around. Which, to be fair, Maud doesn't do. Twilight's the one who ultimately solves the problem. But still.

Brad. Lack of backstory, used only and solely as a plot device and unites multiple cliches and stereotypes in a show I fell in love with for challenging them. Also, his rise to become a princesses personal guard and another's "love interest" is way too fast for any decent character, and even novice writers will see the Gary Stu under him.

I loved Rainbow Rocks, with the exception of Flash/Brad. I really wish they would have actually given him a reason to be in the movie and made him a good character, but... no dice. Hopefully they do something interesting with him at some point.

Jeez, that's harsh. :o Not saying you're wrong about any of the facts(except maybe Silver Spoon), necessarily, but... yeesh. :blink:

It can only be considered harsh until you've dealt with someone like Diamond Tiara. That scene from "Flight to the Finish" spoke to me in a very personal way (it's my favorite episode of season 4), because I got the DT Treatment as a kid and for very similar reasons. (Let's just say my right arm is a little... short.)

I've heard stories of people being driven into crippling depression and/or suicide by people acting like that. I wasn't, but that isn't stopping me from being angry for those who were.

Eventually most of the little brats who engage in that sort of behavior grow the buck up and realize what a cruel moron they were being, but some of them don't. They deserve nothing but contempt.

I was right there with them, because Maud was SUCH A KILLJOY. For a while, it felt like the lesson of the episode was going to be that not everyone can be friends (a worthwhile and important lesson that we all have to learn at some point), but unfortunately the episode copped out and came up with a solution that doesn't. Work. At. All.

Regardless, it's not selfish to not want to be around someone that you don't enjoy being around. That's normal and perfectly reasonable. It would be selfish for someone to insist that someone who doesn't enjoy their company set aside time for them to be around. Which, to be fair, Maud doesn't do. Twilight's the one who ultimately solves the problem. But still.

I loved Rainbow Rocks, with the exception of Flash/Brad. I really wish they would have actually given him a reason to be in the movie and made him a good character, but... no dice. Hopefully they do something interesting with him at some point.

It can only be considered harsh until you've dealt with someone like Diamond Tiara. That scene from "Flight to the Finish" spoke to me in a very personal way (it's my favorite episode of season 4), because I got the DT Treatment as a kid and for very similar reasons. (Let's just say my right arm is a little... short.)

I've heard stories of people being driven into crippling depression and/or suicide by people acting like that. I wasn't, but that isn't stopping me from being angry for those who were.

Eventually most of the little brats who engage in that sort of behavior grow the buck up and realize what a cruel moron they were being, but some of them don't. They deserve nothing but contempt.

those were some good points you are . As far as DT goes MLP is the kind of show where a God of chaos can reform so .. I think it's are to say in awhile Diamond will have to wake up and stop being a moron maybe not soon but eventually it will happen !

those were some good points you are . As far as DT goes MLP is the kind of show where a God of chaos can reform so .. I think it's are to say in awhile Diamond will have to wake up and stop being a moron maybe not soon but eventually it will happen !

Until then, she continues to be my worst pony.

• Brohoof 1

"The only two I can think of are DT and SS, but that's a given. They are antagonists. We're suppose to dislike them."

That's what I WOULD'VE answered if not for your edit, and I have to say, I think it's ridiculous whenever someone says they "Hate" or "Despise" one of them. They have flaws because, if they didn't, they wouldn't be a good character. That's just all there is to it.

• Brohoof 2

"The only two I can think of are DT and SS, but that's a given. They are antagonists. We're suppose to dislike them."

That's what I WOULD'VE answered if not for your edit, and I have to say, I think it's ridiculous whenever someone says they "Hate" or "Despise" one of them. They have flaws because, if they didn't, they wouldn't be a good character. That's just all there is to it.

That was a truly brilliant way to sum up this thread thank you sir or madam you win a free changeling !
  • Brohoof 2

Out of the Mane Six, not really.

Out of the side characters, as its been said, DT, Cadance, and Angel Bunny come to mind for me. 

Honestly, Sunset Shimmer. :/ I don't hate her, but she's the worst/most overrated character in the series in my opinion. Her reformation was just too unbelievable and quick.

• Brohoof 3

Well, there are characters that are kind of made to be hateable, mainly the minor antagonists like Diamond Tiara and Prince Blueblood, so meh.

Snips and Snails are my least favorite ponies in general though for a list of reasons.

And Brad/Flash Sentry.. generic cliche high school boyfriend nothing special.

Fluttershy (troll faic)

nah not really jk lol

even though she's still my least favorite of the mane 6 dont h8 pls

@

@@Megachangeling12

I feel that Diamond Tiara needs to be slapped or is in need of a disciplinary beating. Some may say that's extreme but I think such a punishment would be suitable. DT, from what I see, is a spoiled and self-entitled child who was never seriously disciplined for her actions... not that such a thing would actually happen in MLPFIM.

This is where our lines blur. I don't think anyone- children especially- should ever be assaulted for the purposes of teaching a lesson. Yes, assaulting, because that's exactly what's being implied here. Sorry, but I believe there will always be a better way of teaching a lesson than putting your hands on another human being. That may sound overly optimistic, but that idea is just too morally off-putting for me, even as a last resort.

I was personally ostracized by my entire school from Elementary to the beginning of High School. I won't go into too many details, but let me make it clear that I know what bullies are, and I know what they can do.

It's your own personal opinion how you feel about the subject, and I wouldn't take that from you. But there are opinions different than yours, and I find it entirely possible to like a character, and not condone their actions in the slightest. Which is why I can say Diamond Tiara is my favorite character, even though, like you, I hate bullying (with a fiery passion).

Anyways, i'm not mad at you guys, but I don't feel this conversation is going anywhere productive (to this thread), and i'm not sure either of you want to continue this. If you do, you can always PM me, but if not, I think we can agree we've de-railed this conversation long enough...

• Brohoof 1

This is where our lines blur. I don't think anyone- children especially- should ever be assaulted for the purposes of teaching a lesson. Yes, assaulting, because that's exactly what's being implied here. Sorry, but I believe there will always be a better way of teaching a lesson than putting your hands on another human being. That may sound overly optimistic, but that idea is just too morally off-putting for me, even as a last resort.

I suppose this is largely dependant on cultural differences or how one was raised. For me, such disciplinary action is a valid. This is from someone who was disciplined in such a way; I don't at all consider it assault. Perhaps there is a fine line between discipline and abuse, but there is nonetheless the distinction. But I expect we'll continue to have that disagreement because of our different mindsets; I understand your viewpoint but for me, tough love is sometimes necessary.

With that being said, even if MLPFIM was for older audience, I doubt such disciplinary action would hypothetically be socially acceptable in Equestria (assuming general North American and Western European culture).

• Brohoof 1

Fluttershy (troll faic)
Nah not really
Even though she is my least favourite of the mane 6

At first I was like "I'm gonna slap him"

Then I was like "Oh ok he's joking"

And now I'm like "I'm gonna slap him"

• Brohoof 2

I hate Snips and Snails. I cringe every time they are on screen.

I honestly don't mind Diamond Tiara, her whole purpose is to be the CMC's antagonist and Silver Spoon is just along for the ride.

DT reminds me a lot of Pacifica Northwest from Gravity Falls, a one time antagonist that has "mostly" been reformed at this point in the series, so I do think there is hope for DT down the road.  

I was personally ostracized by my entire school from Elementary to the beginning of High School. I won't go into too many details, but let me make it clear that I know what bullies are, and I know what they can do.

It's your own personal opinion how you feel about the subject, and I wouldn't take that from you. But there are opinions different than yours, and I find it entirely possible to like a character, and not condone their actions in the slightest. Which is why I can say Diamond Tiara is my favorite character, even though, like you, I hate bullying (with a fiery passion).

Anyways, i'm not mad at you guys, but I don't feel this conversation is going anywhere productive (to this thread), and i'm not sure either of you want to continue this. If you do, you can always PM me, but if not, I think we can agree we've de-railed this conversation long enough...

Just so I'm clear, Diamond Tiara is one of my least favorite characters in the show, but I certainly don't "hate" her in the same way that I hate what her actions (sometimes) represent, or that I would hate a real person who acts like she does. She's just a fictional character, and a cartoon one at that in every sense of the word.

And like someone else said, the god of chaos reformed. Well, more like "moved from Chaotic Evil to Chaotic Neutral". So she might come around at some point. Who knows?

• Brohoof 1

I despise Diamond Tiara and Snips and Snails, but not for the reasons you might think.

Diamond Tiara is an obnoxious little bitch, and Snips and Snails are obnoxious morons of the same color to be sure, but there's deeper reasons to detest these characters, too.

Diamond Tiara's character has not changed since S1. Even after the CMC grew up a bit and learned a lot of lessons, she's remained the same, tired character. She is literally pointless at this point in time. The staff either need to think up a very well-designed reformation plot similar to what was done with Trixie, or they need to just write out her character, because it's gotten to a point where every time she's on screen, it's a waste of space and time. Make her good or get rid of her; the CMC need a modern antagonist with a modern approach to them, not the same old school bully throwing childish insults.

Snips and Snails piss me off because they're essentially the main reoccurring male pony characters, who have regular dialogue. The only two male characters who show up more often than them are Big Mac, who never says anything, and Spike, who isn't a pony. I find it insulting to us guys that two immature morons represent a noticeable portion of the reoccurring males on this show. xD Which is why Double Diamond and Party Favor were my favorite part of the S5 Premiere. Gives me hope that we'll be able to drown out the Dip Squad by having more likable male pony characters with dialogue just like DD and PF in the future, or even have those two come back now and again.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, Sunset Shimmer. :/ I don't hate her, but she's the worst/most overrated character in the series in my opinion. Her reformation was just too unbelievable and quick.

In the first EQG, yes, but Rainbow Rocks improved her immensely.

• Brohoof 1

Lord Tirek. That guy tried to destroy a whole world! It may sound wrong, but once he was again stripped of all magic, he should have been executed for crimes against all pony kind. 

It's true looking at what Tirek did he make Sombra's death look unfair . It should've been Tirek who got death instead of Sombra. His actions were far worst . Not that Sombra wasn't evil but Tirek was far more so based on his actions .

• Brohoof 2

Princess Luna is, honestly. She whines and complains that people aren't giving her attention but doesn't even bring it up with her sister, and she then proceeds to attempt to bring eternal night and harm her sister. She's a whiny entitled brat who doesn't even deserve 1/5 of the attention she gets, especially since she's everybrony's gamer moe waifu waifu.

She's just a dull character with an ugly color scheme.

You take that back!!! I daresay ole boy, Pistols and sabers at dawn? Luna is actually an awesome character. She really doesn't whine a lot, and she often has great input to assist Twilicorn on her missions through out Equestria. She also isn't too amused with Pinkie Pie's air headed nature. Nightmare Moon is not Luna, remember that. Old Luna was bitter, new Luna is over joyed to be back. 

Edited by Honsou

It's true looking at what Tirek did he make Sombra's death look unfair . It should've been Tirek who got death instead of Sombra. His actions were far worst . Not that Sombra wasn't evil but Tirek was far more so based on his actions .

They were both equally evil; Tirek was just much more direct about it.

They were both equally evil; Tirek was just much more direct about it.

good point I jist fel like Sombra tries to take back one kingdom and he gets the drath penalty but Tirek tries to suck all the magic in the world up and he gets life in prison / hell to me it seems like their punishments should switched .

good point I jist fel like Sombra tries to take back one kingdom and he gets the drath penalty but Tirek tries to suck all the magic in the world up and he gets life in prison / hell to me it seems like their punishments should switched .

Sombra being blown to bits was only collateral damage; they were just trying to repel him.

And the Empire was actually said to have enough magic to influence the rest of Equestria, so he was technically attacking the whole world at the same time.