Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are any of the MLP characters hateable?

Midnight Gaze

Eh, I'm not sure I could hate any character in the series, including the antagonists and villains. While the lengths that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon sometimes go to bully the CMC are repugnant, I still don't really hate them. When it comes to the mane six specifically, of course I don't hate any of them. But the one I really don't like has to be Pinkie Pie. While I like her little gags and she makes me laugh quite often, I don't like her from a narrative standpoint. Pinkie Pie has an annoying tendency to not think about her actions before she does them, which is fine on its own as a character trait. However, everypony else always excuses her actions even when things get too rough.

In Luna Eclipsed, she constantly appeared and riled everypony in town into a fear-frenzy even after they started to like Princess Luna. Then she goes so far as to admit that she knew all along that Luna was no longer Nightmare Moon and states that it's sometimes fun to be scared. Yet, Twilight never calls her out on taking a joke too far after it was blatantly obvious that Luna was suffering. It just got whitewashed.

In A Friend in Deed, she spent the entire episode hellbent on forcing Cranky Doodle Donkey to be her friend, even after he himself and even her friends tell her to leave him alone. Just as she was about to learn the lesson that she can't be friends with everyone, she deus ex machina'd her way to making her his friend by the end anyway, completely ruining the potential for what I felt would've been a good learning experience for her.

I kinda dislike Rainbow Dash. Her ego is too big it could possibly explode. But I would blame whoever wrote her that way in this generation of ponies, and I like the old generation version of Rainbow Dash. I found her cute, chic, and graceful.

Feel free to say anything you will, but her personality makes her more like a jerk than an element of loyalty.

I can't really argue the jerk part considering it's an aspect of her character I enjoy and embrace (who wants to watch ponies just be nice all the time anyway?), but it's definitely possible for a jerk to still be loyal.

• Brohoof 1

Eh, I'm not sure I could hate any character in the series, including the antagonists and villains. While the lengths that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon sometimes go to bully the CMC are repugnant, I still don't really hate them. When it comes to the mane six specifically, of course I don't hate any of them. But the one I really don't like has to be Pinkie Pie. While I like her little gags and she makes me laugh quite often, I don't like her from a narrative standpoint. Pinkie Pie has an annoying tendency to not think about her actions before she does them, which is fine on its own as a character trait. However, everypony else always excuses her actions even when things get too rough.

In Luna Eclipsed, she constantly appeared and riled everypony in town into a fear-frenzy even after they started to like Princess Luna. Then she goes so far as to admit that she knew all along that Luna was no longer Nightmare Moon and states that it's sometimes fun to be scared. Yet, Twilight never calls her out on taking a joke too far after it was blatantly obvious that Luna was suffering. It just got whitewashed.

In A Friend in Deed, she spent the entire episode hellbent on forcing Cranky Doodle Donkey to be her friend, even after he himself and even her friends tell her to leave him alone. Just as she was about to learn the lesson that she can't be friends with everyone, she deus ex machina'd her way to making her his friend by the end anyway, completely ruining the potential for what I felt would've been a good learning experience for her.

For that you just made an enemy for life. :angry:  I find Rainbow Dash annoying but i do like her when she isn't talking. Other then that no major character is hateable hate is such an ugly word. Characters make mistake if they didn't they would be boring and uninteresting. like how DT was written like an antagonist so her only personalty trait will be that of an antagonist.

Edited by thepinkapocalypse

Aside from the antagonists we are clearly meant to hate like Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, I would have to say yes.

Depending on the individual and their pet peeves, every character is a hate-able to a certain extent, just as every character has the potential to be lovable based on how endearing their quirks can be to someone.

After today's episode....I kind of remembered I can dislike Rainbow Dash. She's way to selfish and close minded sometimes for my taste, and comes of as severely annoying. She probably the closest to "hateable" for me.

• Brohoof 1

After today's episode....I kind of remembered I can dislike Rainbow Dash. She's way to selfish and close minded sometimes for my taste, and comes of as severely annoying. She probably the closest to "hateable" for me.

You would be in the minority on that. Yesterday won a lot of people over for her, and rightfully so. Only a handful are holding onto this stupid fad of being overly critical of her for really weak reasons.

She did what she did out of love for her pet. NOT selfishness. 

I'm sorry, but this is getting ridiculous. 

• Brohoof 1

I replied before, but i thought this over... I personally don't like Babs. She's a bad seed.

Either way I feel like her feature episode didn't really do anything all that well... She came in acting like a jerk, joined two misguided rich girls, and then when saved by her "enemies", suddenly turns on her "friends" and become a jerk to THEM.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon seem to be two fillies who just don't get the proper care or attention. They got an unfitting ending by having someone who seemed dependable suddenly turn on them. I wouldn't wanna be friends with someone who can flip-flop like THAT.

I replied before, but i thought this over... I personally don't like Babs. She's a bad seed.

Either way I feel like her feature episode didn't really do anything all that well... She came in acting like a jerk, joined two misguided rich girls, and then when saved by her "enemies", suddenly turns on her "friends" and become a jerk to THEM.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon seem to be two fillies who just don't get the proper care or attention. They got an unfitting ending by having someone who seemed dependable suddenly turn on them. I wouldn't wanna be friends with someone who can flip-flop like THAT.

You mean someone realizing they were being a total jerk and then turning on the two other bullies is a BAD thing? Would you rather her stay with the bullies and remain a jerk? Man you people just want to hate on Babs. She is just a kid, and UNLIKE Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, she realizes that its wrong to bully others, even if its just to prevent yourself from being bullied yourself.

Though, in my opinion, it would have been better if in "Bad Seed" Diamond and Silver turn on Babs and she realizes what she has done (turned ponies that would understand how she feels into enemies, and befriended the same kind of ponies who bullied her back in Manehatten only to inevitably be betrayed by them) and is horrified, and the rest of the episode is her trying to make up for her mistake, ending on a bittersweet note that will imply that while she wont be CMC soon, they will eventually be good friends.

Edited by Cobalt-Willow

You mean someone realizing they were being a total jerk and then turning on the two other bullies is a BAD thing? Would you rather her stay with the bullies and remain a jerk? Man you people just want to hate on Babs. She is just a kid, and UNLIKE Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, she realizes that its wrong to bully others, even if its just to prevent yourself from being bullied yourself.

Though, in my opinion, it would have been better if in "Bad Seed" Diamond and Silver turn on Babs and she realizes what she has done (turned ponies that would understand how she feels into enemies, and befriended the same kind of ponies who bullied her back in Manehatten only to inevitably be betrayed by them) and is horrified, and the rest of the episode is her trying to make up for her mistake, ending on a bittersweet note that will imply that while she wont be CMC soon, they will eventually be good friends.

It's not that I WANT to hate on Babs. I think she could've been a good character but I don't love her at all and I haven't seen enough of her anyway. What I'm really getting at is that when Babs realized how she was being, she didn't do anything to help the other two ponies understand WHY she'd turn on them. There is no one there for Diamond and Silver to tell them right from wrong.

Not that it's Babs' fault that the girls are the way they are, but she certainly didn't aim to help solve their being bullies.

Consider this: we often get to see that the CMCs don't hate the two fillies. They even accept them sometimes. Babs outright rejected them with a bit of hatred when she went back to the CMCs.

It's not that I WANT to hate on Babs. I think she could've been a good character but I don't love her at all and I haven't seen enough of her anyway. What I'm really getting at is that when Babs realized how she was being, she didn't do anything to help the other two ponies understand WHY she'd turn on them. There is no one there for Diamond and Silver to tell them right from wrong.

Not that it's Babs' fault that the girls are the way they are, but she certainly didn't aim to help solve their being bullies.

Consider this: we often get to see that the CMCs don't hate the two fillies. They even accept them sometimes. Babs outright rejected them with a bit of hatred when she went back to the CMCs.

I think Diamond and Silver know why, they just dont care. And, this is just a theory mind you, while CMC only have to worry about Diamond and Silver, perhaps Babs had a LOT of bullies in Manehatten. So she is a lot less forgiving of it.

Edited by Cobalt-Willow

I think Diamond and Silver know why, they just dont care. And, this is just a theory mind you, while CMC only have to worry about Diamond and Silver, perhaps Babs had a LOT of bullies in Manehatten.

Good points. It's true, I don't know enough about Babs to make that much of a call. 

Of course I could be influenced by the fact that her voice reminds me of one of the Kanker Sisters from Ed Edd n Eddy. Oooh, those girls. :ph34r:

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon have always been on my least favourite list. They're just not my type of character. I think I don't like them because the first episode I saw them in they were being bullies. :(

Usually you are suppose to explain. And i cant wait to hear it, im guessing something based on one or two episodes.

Nope, it's based off every episode. Rainbow Dash is just the type of person that I would be annoyed to be around.

Fluttershy could be good, but is so badly written, she never feels real at all; I can always just see a writer coming up with lines that would sound weak and defenseless instead of having it feel like a real person. Same reason I hated Baby Applejack, I didn't see anything resembing a real toddler, I just saw some bad writter sitting behind a keyboard writing with "pwecious" baby talk.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, it's based off every episode. Rainbow Dash is just the type of person that I would be annoyed to be around.

Fluttershy could be good, but is so badly written, she never feels real at all; I can always just see a writer coming up with lines that would sound weak and defenseless instead of having it feel like a real person. Same reason I hated Baby Applejack, I didn't see anything resembing a real toddler, I just saw some bad writter sitting behind a keyboard writing with "pwecious" baby talk.

As for FLuttershy, that should not make her HATEABLE. Sure, that would make her annoying and unrealistic, but not hateable. Then again, i tend to do somethings similar to Fluttershy, so maybe i can relate to her better.