Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you scared of tornadoes?

Sugar Pea

55 users have voted

1. 1. Are you afraid of them?

• Yes!
    • Heck no!

The Wikipedia page for my town actually has an entire section dedicated to tornadoes. Tornadoes have leveled a good portion of this place three times in the time I've been here, and that's only been 18 years. Seven other times, nature's given it a go but not quite succeeded. That being so, I have every excuse to shit myself in terror every time the weatherman announces severe weather. But I don't. Despite my town's track record, I don't truly fear tornadoes. I do, however, have a great respect for the power they have and the destruction they're capable of. You won't catch me standing in one's path with a camera, that's for sure.

• Brohoof 1

Hell. Yes. Tornadoes terrify me. I grew up in the heart of Texas and they were always a regular summer threat. But, I can also recognize the impending signs as well and as such, I've always had a meteorological fascination with them. They're always a source of rational awareness and fear even for those who have never seen one. However, it's completely different when you see the damage for yourself, you develop a kind of respect for their power. Even though I've had to do the "duck and cover in the center of your house" drill my entire childhood, the first time I ever saw the true power of one was when our neighboring town was devastated by an F5 tornado which remains one of the worst tornado disasters in Texas history.

• Brohoof 1

yup :/ Living in the midwest, we usually get at least one tornado warning a year.

Just about a week ago, an entire town up north in my state was leveled, two people died, and countless others were injured. It was a small town, but now anybody that lived there has absolutely nothing. Everything they owned was destroyed, and since it was a small town, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that those two deaths were felt across their community. It's a tragedy what happened, and it's one of the many reasons why I want to move away from here some day.

• Brohoof 2

yup :/ Living in the midwest, we usually get at least one tornado warning a year.

Just about a week ago, an entire town up north in my state was leveled, two people died, and countless others were injured. It was a small town, but now anybody that lived there has absolutely nothing. Everything they owned was destroyed, and since it was a small town, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that those two deaths were felt across their community. It's a tragedy what happened, and it's one of the many reasons why I want to move away from here some day.

I'm from the mid-west myself. I know how you feel. I am in the part of Illinois that ends up in tornado alley during the summer season. It's not fun, but it is neat to watch. I understand if you want to get away from the severe weather but if you want the truth, no matter where you go, tornadoes can still happen. If you are outside Tornado Alley, there are less tornadoes sure, but very few places get zero tornadoes all together.

Yes, I'm scared of them. Tornadoes, spiders, and idiots with guns are my three biggest fears.

Funny thing, though, because I love thunderstorms, and hurricanes are cool with me.

• Brohoof 1

I think they are pretty cool to look at... I live in kentucky... And I have never experienced a tornado personally. (there have been many around) I think I would be fine if...

-It was during the day

-It was at least a mile away and moving in the opposite direction.

• 4 years later...

You’d have to be off your rocker NOT to be scared of tornadoes! They may be beautiful from a great distance, but they are terrifying, destructive monstrosities. I’ve seen what they can do up close and it’s a sobering experience, even with the smaller ones.  

• Brohoof 1

Living in the midwest, you're damn right im scared of tornados! Especially after I seen an entire town near me wiped of the map by one....and a horse trailer picked up and thrown! :lie:

• Brohoof 1

I would not say scared, I would more say I have respect for them. Ok, when I am directly in front of a tornado, then I would be definitelly scared, but this situation is for me here in western germany more impossible. I mean, we have Tornados in germany, my village was hit by one in 2000 (it was one of the two defining moments in my life where my interest into natural science grown even I only experienced the thudnerstorm and not the tornado), but these are usually small tornados.

• 1 year later...

Absolutely. Ever since I watched Twister as a kid I’ve been scared of them. Plagued my dreams to this day too.

I also saw the damage in one of the nearby towns of when a tornado went through over a year ago it was sad and pretty scary. Even more so is that I went through there about a month ago and everything still looks in bad shape.

• Brohoof 2

You'd have to be insane or heavily sedated to be unafraid of tornadoes. I don't even like to watch them on TV. And encountering them in person is another matter entirely. Seriously scary!!

• Brohoof 2

Where we live we don't get them but we can get them in other parts of the state we live in because all the fields but that's far from us. Usually the tornadoes pass by without the actual tornado, like just the wind if you know what l mean. So l don't know if l'm scared of them or not because l never seen one in person.

• Brohoof 1