Did you like it?  

278 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Well, it's just that lately it's seemed like she's lacking any emotion at all. She certainly lacked any empathy when she pummeled Tirek to hell, and so much for the notion that she would actually be distraught over losing the library, which I honestly thought this episode would mostly deal with. 

I can honestly say that I was legitimately surprised to see tears in her eyes after seeing what her friends did for her. I guess she's not that un-feeling. 

*sigh*

I remember when I used to find her relatable....

She WAS distraught over losing the library. Getting used to a new, not Golden Oaks Library home was so painful for her that she did everything that she could possibly do to avoid spending time in the new castle, to the point of depriving herself of sleep. Those aren't the actions of someone not feeling anything. 

People deal with pain in different ways. Some people cry, and some people avoid the source of their pain. 

Also: Bulk Biceps stole the show :D

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 11

A very pleasant spiritual successor of sorts to "Lesson Zero." I'm also extremely pleased by how Spike was handled through the entire episode. I'd say more, but I'm pressed for time.

This season has gotten off to a terrific start!

• Brohoof 2

She WAS distraught over losing the library. Getting used to a new, not Golden Oaks Library home was so painful for her that she did everything that she could possibly do to avoid spending time in the new castle, to the point of depriving herself of sleep. Those aren't the actions of someone not feeling anything. 

People deal with pain in different ways. Some people cry, and some people avoid the source of their pain. 

Also: Bulk Biceps stole the show :D

And she "lacked any empathy when she pummeled Tirek to hell" because he was being a complete sociopath who sent her into a blind rage.

• Brohoof 3

Alrighty, welcome back everypony to another "Batbrony Reviews".  Second week of new episodes, third episode of the season, and the first proper Slice of Life episode of Season 5.  Let's get this show on the road: this is "Batbrony Reviews: S05: E03 - Castle Sweet Castle".

In my honest opinion, this was a perfect transition into the primarily Slice of Life format that will more than likely make up the bulk of Season 5's episodes, as has been the case with all other past seasons, and that's really what's most important for third episodes of MLP seasons, when you think about it.  It wasn't the best third episode we've ever seen of a season, that honor still goes to the still amazing "Lesson Zero" of Season 2, but it's definitely up there as far as third episodes go.  It had a very nice balance of continuity, good characterization, and pretty good pacing for the most part.

First of all, it was very nice that they addressed early on in this season Twilight's losing Golden Oaks Library and moving into a brand-spanking new castle (and very empty too, I might add, this isn't like Canterlot Castle, the heart of Canterlot and all of Equestria's political activities, at all).  Golden Oaks had been her home since the very first season, and was near and dear to both the main characters and us fans as well by this point, so it really did need to be addressed.  The first couple of scenes did a great job of conveying how Twilight's been trying to cope with it by stubbornly trying to make it a non-issue, which to me is great characterization for her because it shows that some vices never change.  Twilight's always been very uncomfortable making her problems other ponies' problems, especially her friends, and while in many ways she's grown out of that as she's learned about the magic of friendship, it's still stuck with her, regardless, and it's understandable why.  She's a princess now, she's got all kinds of new responsibilities as well as perks (she's also always been very self-conscious of anyone suggesting she's better than others), and really, who would want to complain to your friends that you have a gigantic castle?  So again, Twilight handling this particular problem by simply trying to ignore it and treat it like a non-problem, felt very in-character for her, I liked it.

large.png

Fare thee well, Golden Oaks Library; you were a good home filled with good memories  :kindness: 

The rest of the Mane 6 (let's call them the ReMane-ing 5, I've been seeing that term a lot in the episode thread today) handled this problem very excellently as well.  They were very discerning in their uncovering it, and of course it was a very generous thing they did offering to renovate Twilight's castle and make it feel more homey.  I will admit that the primary conflict, the fact that they couldn't figure out what to do with it, felt like a Season 1 problem given that they were so oblivious at first, but that is somewhat forgivable given that Twilight didn't really have any mementos they could fetch from the destroyed Golden Oaks Library, so it makes sense they'd try giving from their own homes instead at first.  I also forgive the fact that it felt like a Season 1 problem since they worked through it on their own; as soon as I realized what the conflict was going to be, I was worried that Twilight was going to teach them what they'd done wrong.  But no, instead, very similar to how Twilight didn't take center-stage last week, the ReMane-ing 5 figured out they'd goofed, worked through their goof, and determined together what they'd do to fix it.  Even Spike got to shine in his own little subplot, and he was characterized quite nicely really; he and Twilight shared a couple of very nice moments together (most notably outside the charred remains of Golden Oaks Library), and the little guy actually contributed as well.  In fact, everyone really felt very nicely characterized, a very pleasing carry over from the season opener as well; it's nice to see that characters like Pinkie Pie aren't being written as near-caricatures of themselves as has happened in more recent seasons.

The ending was incredibly sweet, and a great way to send off Golden Oaks Library but also pay tribute to it.  There were some nice call backs, the ReMane-ing 5 came up with a great solution, and Twilight's reaction was to die for.  It was nice to hear too that they did manage to renovate other rooms as well, because it would have felt just a little anti-climactic if all they'd changed was the throne room.  I look forward to seeing what some of the other rooms look like in the castle as the season goes on, but this, this was a nice start.

The humor was very spot-on this week, and very similar to the season opener, seemed more dialogue-driven than physical.  It was very fast-paced in its delivery, but all the delivery felt spot-on, and there were some incredibly funny scenes.  The opener with Angel Bunny was pretty funny, the pancake breakfast scene killed me, particularly Pinkie's bit with the measuring cup and Twilight's sleeping on a pancake (also adorable, if I might add), the clutter-scenes at the castle, especially Pinkie's running gag with her hidden confetti cannons, killed, the spa scene came out of nowhere in how funny it was (especially Bulk Biceps' surprise appearance), and all in all the execution of all the humor in this one just felt right.  Neither Pinkie nor Spike came across as idiots in their humor (again, most of it being dialogue driven), and I really liked that; yeah, things still happened to them at their expense, but not in a way that took away from the characters or mischaracterized them.

castle-sweet-castle-breakfast.png

I'm going to eat all these pancakes and you can't stop me!!!  :o 

871428__safe_solo_twilight+sparkle_anima

Aw crap, I forgot how to eat!  :wacko:   That doesn't go there!!!  :o 

large.gif

Of course this guy's a masseuse, I mean, why wouldn't he be?  :mustache:   If there's a new way to make Bulk Biceps even more amazing than he already is, the DHX crew will come up with it and make it canon.  :comeatus: 

The song and its reprisal I enjoyed very much; it wasn't anything super special, but it felt very nice for a Slice of Life episode, and it's worth noting that I don't think we've ever seen the ReMane-ing 5 sing a group song without Twilight.  The animation as usual was gorgeous, and it was nice getting to see both old and new sights; the castle looks very nice and is really getting a feel of its own compared to other royal buildings in Equestria, and it was lovely getting to see the spa again (not to mention getting to hear Aloe speak for the first time, though I'm confused now; Lotus is apparently Swedish, but Aloe... isn't?  So does that mean they're twins, or lived separately, or just really look alike?  Bah, this is what this show makes me think about...).  Other than that, there's not really much else to say.  It was just a very lovely Slice of Life episode, and given that it was the first one ever written by Joanna Lewis and Kristine Songco, I'm very impressed with the job they did.  The main body of the season's off to a nice start, and I can't wait to see what comes next!  Till next week everypony, this is Batbrony, signing off.  I'm off! *cue dramatic exit*

large.png

Seriously, though, I am so confused now!  Are you two twins or what, cause one of you sounds Swedish, and the other sounds completely Anglicized?!  :confused: 

Bulk Biceps works best in small doses.

Glad they learned their lesson from Rainbow Falls.

I will always love Rainbow Falls no matter how many people say it was pandering, or other people say the Wonderbolts and RD were OOC (both very true, for the record :comeatus:).  Why?  BECAUSE SO MUCH DERPY, THAT'S WHY, AND THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH A REASON FOR ME!!!  :muffins:

large.png

• Brohoof 7

I don't think I'll ever get that song out of my head. Soooooo catchy!

Yeah, me too XD I'm listening to it since the episode ended. 

Also, I absolutely adore your avatar!

• Brohoof 1

Loved the song(s).  I teared up with Twilight at the end.  I loved this episode.  More than the season opener - though I liked that a lot, too.  And yeah, I have to admit, I liked seeing Angel getting bumped into the mud...

Yeah, me too XD I'm listening to it since the episode ended. 

Also, I absolutely adore your avatar!

Yes, I'll prob listen to it alot on the way back from Edisto tomorrow.

Btw, thx for the feedback! :)

• Brohoof 1

You have a point, but nevertheless, I just expected more. Particularly when Twilight was apparently willing to kill for that library. 

And she "lacked any empathy when she pummeled Tirek to hell" because he was being a complete sociopath who sent her into a blind rage.

Chrysalis sent her into a blind rage as well, but she wasn't willing to kill to save her bother, was she? 

• Brohoof 1

I loved the Bulk Biceps cameo! 

Over all it was a pretty solid episode with some good feels towards the end. Is it just me though or does that castle seem Bigger on the inside than it does on the outside?

• Brohoof 2

A fairly cute ep with some adorable moments, a catchy song, a heartfelt moment, and continuity. Loved this one too

• Brohoof 3

You have a point, but nevertheless, I just expected more. Particularly when Twilight was apparently willing to kill for that library. 

Chrysalis sent her into a blind rage as well, but she wasn't willing to kill to save her bother, was she? 

It wasn't for the library; it was his wanton destruction that finally pushed her.

As for Chrysalis, I would say yeah. Had the real Cadence not proved her identity Twilight very well might've hurt her; if not worse.

• Brohoof 5

Okay, after watching the episode again, now in HD and without commercial breaks, I can see a few flaws, a few problems, but they're all nothing compared to the one probing, important, mind blowing question that's now stuck in my mind ...

Who made or bought that Rarity plushie for Spike?

• Brohoof 6

I hated it, but after reading what everybody else likes so much about it, I guess it's okay. But I'm very disappointed. I actually felt like I was watching a little kid show. Before I read what everybody else likes so much about it, I thought it was almost as bad as that G3 episode where everybody's freaking out because they all wanna get their friend the exact same thing for her birthday. I was tempted to refuse to watch it with my grandpa later.

Rainbow's singing sounded a little off to me and Applejack still can't say "Pinkie" without sounding like a guy, but AJ's singing voice is still top notch so I don't know what's going on with Ball's voice acting.

• Brohoof 1

Wow... another amazing episode. Season 5 is off to a fantastic start. That song was just... yesss. Easily one of the best songs in the series, and a nice, simple, and sweet story to boot. I'm excited about Season 5  :)

• Brohoof 2

I watched this episode just now. I thought it was pretty good! The ending was just a thing of beauty. A chandelier made from the remains of the Golden Oak library that contained all their happy memories from past episodes. That just was brilliant :').

I especially found it funny when they made a huge mess in the main hall in an attempt to make the castle look better XD

Edited by GrauWitz
  • Brohoof 2

As for Chrysalis, I would say yeah. Had the real Cadence not proved her identity Twilight very well might've hurt her; if not worse.

It wasn't that she proved her identity. It was that Twilight gave her a chance prove her identity. She didn't blast her on the spot, even though she was completely unaware that she wasn't the same Cadence who had just threatened her brother. 

That's not something that I think the Twilight from Twilight's Kingdom would have done.  

Meh, I guess this one was okay. -_-

It kinda felt like a setup episode to me; just an episode to make the castle more colorful for the rest of the season. And i agree with all the others saying it felt like S1 again, they're her best friend for crying out loud! :okiedokielokie: They should know what she likes, though I will say the ending was pretty good, the whole Golden Oaks root-chandelier really hit a chord with me, especially in comparison to the rather predictable feel of the rest of the plot. I guess maybe I was looking forward to more feels during the entire episode. :(

The song was also meh... It did the job, but its not really something to relisten to..

The humor on the other hoof, was pretty solid. Spike's Rarity doll and Bulk Biceps massages cracked me up! :lol: Twilight's Pancake-awake line and Pinkies antics in general were good.

I give 6/10

Perhaps I set my expectations a bit high after that premiere. :P

• Brohoof 1

loved it!

I thought it was funny watching fluttershy keep dropping hints that it was time for twilight to go home LOL, then spike with his little rarity plushie, like where would he even get one of those? do the sell mane 6 plushies in ponyville? I thought it was funny when bulk bicepts picked spike up in his pecks and carried him off to get tortured massaged LOL i felt sorry for him, can't say i blame twilight though, I mean the golden oaks was the perfect size for her and spike, now she has this MASSIVE empty castle to live in with long lonley halls and big empty rooms that echo, the ending was pretty nice to, I just hope the ropes holding up that multi-ton stump don't break. was it a section of the roots or the WHOLE stump of the library? because if it was the whole stump "why did twilight not notice it was gone?" then that room they hung it is must be absolutly HUGE

all in all I nice break episode before they have to save somepony again