Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ashen Pathfinder

Well, it is the second Wednesday of April, and as such a new issue of the FIENDship is Magic comic line is out, and this time we have Lord Tirek as the star.

Fiendship_is_Magic_2_CVR_REG.jpg

I have yet to read this myself, but considering how well the Sombra issue was received, anyone have any thoughts on this one? :)

(edited)

I liked it, buuutttt....

When it ended, my immediate reaction was, "Thats it?". I guess I expected them to get into what happened between Tirek and Scorpan. Tirek talked quite a bit about Scorpan's betrayal in Twilight's Kingdom. To not included it in this issue leaves me somewhat unsatisfied. 

Maybe they intend to expand on it sometime in the show? That's the only reason I can think of for them to leave such an important piece of Tirek's backstory out of a comic about Tirek's backstory.

Edited by Banul
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah, it was enjoyable, there was really nothing bad about it, but it felt as if it was supposed to be continued after it finished I was like

tumblr_m5019lx7hY1qbvsbs.png

• Brohoof 5

Yeah, it was enjoyable, there was really nothing bad about it, but it felt as if it was supposed to be continued after it finished I was like

img-3647794-1-tumblr_m5019lx7hY1qbvsbs.p

Yeah, I see it's end as abrupt too, that would be it's biggest flaw of an otherwise worthwhile comic 

Why was Discord in the throne room?

I a good explanation as any on how Tirek recognized Discord in Twilight's Kingdom. I'm just surprised to see him so composed, I guess a diplomatic mess like that is going to far for him

• Brohoof 1

Well, I've got nothing but love for Fiendship so far. I would've liked to see more about Scorpan's betrayal of Tirek, but trying to add it to this comic would've messed with the flow of the story way too much. It's just something we'll have to hope we see later.

I a good explanation as any on how Tirek recognized Discord in Twilight's Kingdom. I'm just surprised to see him so composed, I guess a diplomatic mess like that is going to far for him

Discord's appearance is a little detail I didn't care for. Being a member of someone else's court before his reformation is the must un-Discord thing I can think of.

Good, but not nearly as good as the first one or as good as it could have been.

I like the fact that it told us where Tirek came from and the background on Scorpan and the rest of his family and the influence of his master was also quite interesting. The ending was rather unsatisfying though because it didn't delve into Tireks attempted conquest of Equestria like I was hoping it would or how he conquered his own land. It simply ended with Tirek menacingly smiling and imagining himself conquering his people and then Equestria, I really hope there is a part 2 to this because the whole thing seems incomplete. But at least we have the inevitable fanfics that are probably going to result from this.

• Brohoof 1

Good, but not nearly as good as the first one or as good as it could have been.

I like the fact that it told us where Tirek came from and the background on Scorpan and the rest of his family and the influence of his master was also quite interesting. The ending was rather unsatisfying though because it didn't delve into Tireks attempted conquest of Equestria like I was hoping it would or how he conquered his own land. It simply ended with Tirek menacingly smiling and imagining himself conquering his people and then Equestria, I really hope there is a part 2 to this because the whole thing seems incomplete. But at least we have the inevitable fanfics that are probably going to result from this.

Definitely agree with you there. If they ever expand upon Fiendship at somepoint, hopefully one of the issues is a direct sequel to this one. There are still a ton of questions that need to be answered.

FINALLY got to read this just now. With no digital version available on iTunes/iBooks, I ended up just going with Comixology, and thank the godz they finally have the option to download a PDF version. With that I downloaded it and just put it on my iBooks library. Not preferred, but awesome still.

Anywho while this issue wasn't as good as the Sombra issue, I thought it was still really good! I know many people were underwhelmed and while I did feel like the issue ended early I was extremely pleased with what we got!

I loved Tirek and Scorpan's characterization, and the latter's betrayal of the former makes a LOT more sense now, and I'm happy we got some more world-building done with the land of the centaur's and the king's attempts to make things better with Celestia.

Overall, I'd rate it a 7.5/10.

• Brohoof 1

Why was Discord in the throne room?

That is the question each and every Disbrony asked themselves upon seeing that panel.

But I think that it could be that this is actually not meant to be Discord, but another draconequus altogether.

Which I hope doesn´t become canon, I like the Spirit of Chaos to be unique.

As far as I understood it, Discord was a statue at the time Tirek tried to conquer Equestria the first time, and since Celestia is mentioned in the comic as ruler of Equestria he is probablee petrified here as well.

Edited by ~ Dr. Ocsid ~

That is the question each and every Disbrony asked themselves upon seeing that panel.

But I think that it could be that this is actually not meant to be Discord, but another draconequus altogether.

Which I hope doesn´t become canon, I like the Spirit of Chaos to be unique.

As far as I understood it, Discord was a statue at the time Tirek tried to conquer Equestria the first time, and since Celestia is mentioned in the comic as ruler of Equestria he is probablee petrified here as well.

The comics aren't hard canon, so you're welcome to disregard it from the overall canon. I count it, but that's just me. :)

As far as Discord is considered, it's established that Scorpan and Tirek entered Equestria when Celestia is still young; judging by the pink mane in the storybook flashback sequence. Going by the S4 premier, Celestia had her multi-colored mane when Discord was imprisoned, so I think it is safe to say that Discord can fit here just fine.

Heck, Tirek recognized Discord immediately, so it fits just fine in my eyes.

Well, Tirek recognizing Discord immediatelee doesn´t have to mean that thei have met before, because

1. Tirek sais Discord is "legend", which one could interpret as him knowing Discord from legends.

2. Discord is probablee the most recognizable creature in their world. It is easee to recognize him.

Also, Luna isn´t mentioned, onlee Celestia, so it is possible that moonbutt is imprisoned during that comic, and therefore Discord as well.

(Sorree, epsilon on me keeboard not working.)

• Brohoof 1

Well, Tirek recognizing Discord immediatelee doesn´t have to mean that thei have met before, because

1. Tirek sais Discord is "legend", which one could interpret as him knowing Discord from legends.

2. Discord is probablee the most recognizable creature in their world. It is easee to recognize him.

Also, Luna isn´t mentioned, onlee Celestia, so it is possible that moonbutt is imprisoned during that comic, and therefore Discord as well.

(Sorree, epsilon on me keeboard not working.)

1. That's a fair point, though I don't think it excludes the possibility of the two meeting.

2. Also a fair point, though I refer to the first point.

Honestly I wouldn't expect Luna to be mentioned as Celestia is the more regal of the two, not to mention older. Celestia, going from what I remember of the Journal of the Two Sisters, was more apt to meet with dignitaries than Luna.

Not saying what you're saying is wrong, but there's more than one way to look at it.

Also we are talking about an entity that relishes in making no sense.

I don't understand why Discord in the throne room is a problem :ooh: .

To me, it was just Discord sneaking in and having fun participating in a very important polical stuff while he does not give a damn about it :bedeyes: .

It isn´t a problem - It is a opportunity for Disbronies to invade a thread that is about Tirek.

Edited by ~ Dr. Ocsid ~
  • Brohoof 2

Honestly, given how Discord was stated to have inserted himself into Anubis's court earlier in history, as per the Fluttershy/Discord comic, I don't think him being in the throne room is a problem. It seems perfectly in character for him to show up, pretend to be a humble court mage or something, and then troll the royals until he gets bored and leaves.

anyways, on this comic: This comic I really wish had been nixed as a single comic and turned into a two or three parter. It really could have been decent, but feels like half a story really. Nothing really happens; all you find out is that A. Tirek was a punk, B. there was an older mentor who told him that ponies could have their magic drained and C. His father hates him.
that's it. It doesn't tell you much, the plot feels like it was meant to continue on for far longer, and there's no real interaction between the fact and Tirek. Like, I think they meant that you were supposed to feel that his father was an overbearing jerk who never appreciated Tirek's skill with magic which was a freudian excuse for him being evil... Except the only time we see his father being angry at him is when he's been engaged in VILLAINY. That ruins the audience feeling like the father is being too harsh, because he's being angry for entirely justifiable reasons (since we had just seen tirek engaging in using a pony for a test subject and being an accomplish to kidnapping).

I really would want to like this one, but it just feels so rushed, that I can't put it at anything more than a 5/10.

Tirek's mom, tho:

img-3659308-1-150px-FIENDship_is_Magic_i

:wub:

To quote two wise philosophers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8EMndSFFMk

Yeah, I expected her to be a chubby and ape looking gargoyle, but OMG, imagine my surprise when I found out she's quite a looker  :bedeyes:

Incoming Rule 34

I await it with glee

UUUUHHHHHHHH....... I kind of found one yesterday  :dash: , but not tellin' were, forum rules  -_-

Edited by Steve Piranha

Yeah, I expected her to be a chubby and ape looking gargoyle, but OMG, imagine my surprise when I found out she's quite a looker  :bedeyes:

UUUUHHHHHHHH....... I kind of found one yesterday  :dash: , but not tellin' were, forum rules  -_-

I'd put my money on derpibooru based on how things tend to roll XD

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

I was under the impression from the show that Tirek knew Discord.

Tirek's mom, tho:

img-3659308-1-150px-FIENDship_is_Magic_i

:wub:

I wish there was more artwork of her.

I wonder why the comics seem like they are so ignored by so many fans even though they always generate attention when first released or previewed on EQD.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...