Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you consider yourself more liberal or conservative?

AEDAZ

I lean more to the right so I'd say Conservative but I'm fairly open and accepting of a lot of things, however I don't think Liberal=Left is a good description as quite a lot of the left are authoritarian which is by it's very nature illiberal. I don't like authoritarianism and think the state should have less power and there be more individual freedom.

• Brohoof 1

I don't fit very well into either camp. Political compass results suggest I'm center-right, tho I generally consider myself to be a national populist.

I've become increasingly skeptical of big corporations and free trade deals, almost to the point of being a protectionist. I've moved considerably to the right on immigration, yet I'm quite left leaning on environmental issues. I'm libertarian on LGBT issues and guns (I love guns :coco:)

The misuse of "liberal" here bothers me, but nonetheless if we're talking left and right, I identify with the left. Though I have more of a libertarian slant on leftism if that makes sense. On the note of terminology though, I identify much more with progressives than centrist liberal fake lefties.

Edited by Ayyngel Dust

I always considered myself SUPER conservative. But according to political tests I’ve taken, I’m only a bit right of center. I think that might be because I hang out in communities that tend to be more left leaning in general. So when you AREN’T that, you look like you stick out more.

• Brohoof 2

On 4/8/2015 at 7:58 PM, Envy said:

I am definitely more on the liberal side, but more than anything I'm just not a conservative. lol

I said this in 2015. The magnitude to which I further feel that way after the 2016 election is so much more significant, I can't even describe it.

Before then, the conservatives in power/seeking power were always scummy, but they put up a nice facade of having the best interests. That led me to be less cynical of my conservative acquaintances, because I really thought they were just fooled by that facade. However, that facade has since been dropped, and now they're just proud of being rotten.

I am not always super liberal on everything, but for those positions when I look at the reasons that the right holds them and how they speak of them, I know we come from two completely different foundations and in reality have absolutely nothing in common. Even on those issues, I pretty much always fall on the left legally speaking, as I don't think I have any right to tell other people what to do, and sometimes see why it is necessary even if not perfectly aligning with my morality.

I am liberal, but not in all situations. There are sometimes situations where I say that some people are too liberal or just stupid because their views are not realistic or even dangerous. But I definitelly lean more to the left side than the right side.

I don't think liberal and conservative are opposites (well, maybe in American politics they are considered opposites, but not in the way I see things). Conservative is the opposite of progressive (I know there is a party in Canada that has both in its name, and it's strange to me). And liberal is the opposite of authoritarian.

So, to answer the original question, on the conservative-progressive scale I'm neutral, and on the liberal-authoritarian scale I'm liberal.

Liberal, but don't let that make you think I'm un-accepting of conservative views or conservative people. We all come from different backgrounds and influences to believe and support what we think is best. I wish both sides were more open-minded.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, PawelS said:

I don't think liberal and conservative are opposites (well, maybe in American politics they are considered opposites, but not in the way I see things). Conservative is the opposite of progressive (I know there is a party in Canada that has both in its name, and it's strange to me). And liberal is the opposite of authoritarian.

That is because in the U.S. progressives are called liberals, hence liberal vs. conservative, while liberals are called libertarians.  It does tend to make things rather confusing.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, WWolf said:

Liberal, but don't let that make you think I'm un-accepting of conservative views or conservative people. We all come from different backgrounds and influences to believe and support what we think is best. I wish both sides were more open-minded.

Yup, same. Best to always consider both sides of the issue, and realize both sides may have to give something up. Also important to consider why people may feel a certain way. Stuff isn’t usually black and white, it’s a gray area.

Going to a very liberal school has actually made me more skeptical of all-or-nothing viewpoints. I’ll always vote for the democratic candidates though as certain issues are more important to me than others...

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

I was fairly conservative/right-wing libertarian for a while. I've re-evaluated a lot of my political views though, and honestly the libertarian left is enticing. I still despise state tyranny, I just feel the same way about corporate tyranny now.

Edited by Prospekt