Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The 90s Nostalgia thread

Zoraxe

(edited)

I grew up in the 90s and so are a lot of the other people on this site, and I was thinking about how fun it could be if there was a thread were we can discuss the 1990s, talk about TV, fashion, Music, trends, that kind of stuff.

I was more of a late 90s/early 00s person, having been born in the real early 90s, teenager 90s things weren't targeted at me, unlike my older siblings. For example my sister had a whole bunch of those Grateful dead stuffed bears (at least that's what I think that's what they were), as well as had a bunch of rock and roll stuff like posters and things in her room, so that's what I think about when I think about stuff for teenagers in the 90s from my perspective as a kid at the time. (that and I may have secretly watched an episode or two of things that I was not allowed to watch, like South park and Beevis and Butthead, and Celebrity Death Match).

img-3650020-1-LightningBoltSkull.gifimg-3650020-2-GD-beanposter.gifimg-3650020-3-rolling2.jpg

I made threads about the 80s and 2000s too.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/125797-the-80s-nostalgia-thread/

https://mlpforums.com/topic/131568-the-2000s-nostalgia-thread/

Edited by Zoraxe
  • Brohoof 5

Okay lets start with some unpopular opinions

---I liked Backstreets back ALRIGHT when it came out. I was VERY young.-

---'nsync was my favorite band as a kid

I was born in 1993 myself. I remember we didn't lock our doors back then.

Mainstream music was still pop, but alternative rock was very popular late 90s IIRC, think: Simple plan, green day

there's a lot I feel nostalgic about, such as sega dreamcast and PS1. OH MY GOD FINAL FANTASY

HOW COULD I FORGET FINAL FANTASY

I could never get into FF7.... but I LOVED FF8. I loved it SO FREAKING MUCH. I gotta end this post cause If I don't I'll never stop raging about FINAL FANTASY 8 OMG

• Brohoof 7

My favorite 90's cartoons:

Hey Arnold

Rugrats

Courage The Cowardly Dog

Rocket Power

• Brohoof 5

I was born in the late 80s, so I'm really a 90's kid in every way... BUT I don't have too much nostalgia for the decade. Most of my nostalgia lays on the side of the early 00's. Most of my nostalgia from the 90s would probably be Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow.

I did enjoy the cartoons, but I remember having burnt myself out on the Nickolodeon ones. I still like the CN shows, although I mostly saw them in the early 00's, so I associate them with the early 00's.

Music... I can hardly name any music from the 90s. I guess it just wasn't a memorable decade in music.

• Brohoof 2

I loved the 90's. That whole decade was awesome, except for the Internet and computers, the internet was SLOW and my first computer was a Packard Bell, it had a cd drive and a floppy disk drive, man, computers was so slow by todays standard. But I loved the super Nintendo! Mario cart, yoshi's island,killer instinct,super mario

• Brohoof 2

Born in the Mid-90s. I still liked that decade even tho I only experienced half of it. I still get nostalgia from the children shows that I remembered watching at the time (including the early 2000s).

• Brohoof 1

I remember the very first time my Dad brought one of these into the house:

post-30925-0-99528700-1428588045_thumb.png

And so it began...

• Brohoof 12

The good old 90s:

The days before the internet had really become a proper thing. VHS was the norm, only adults had mobile phones and all of pre-teen childhood

I remember such nostalgic things as...

Windows 95

win95-1-1.png

Tomb Raider (I was addicted to that game)

tomb_raider_1_box.jpg

The Simpsons was the best thing on TV

the-simpsons-the-simpsons-6680261-1024-7

Rugrats

(and if there was a piano handy then someone was bound to play a rendition of the theme music)

rugrats_crew__by_c_hampton-d73mca3.jpg

And great music, especially Pop like Spice Girls, and Boyzone and then there was dance music.

Alice Deejay- Better off Alone from 1998 in particular changed my life, I remember hearing it for the first time on either Radio 1 or a local radio station when I was about 10 years old and I was astounded because I’d never heard anything like it before. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjNmyzrVvM

• Brohoof 5

I'm thirteen, but i and some others swear that i was supposed to be born in the 90's. :blink:  The music, the shows, the games(Pokemon bruh), the music, thats about all i do.

Course i guess i was raised on that stuff sooo... :please:

Music... I can hardly name any music from the 90s. I guess it just wasn't a memorable decade in music.

Say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

:o

• Brohoof 1

I was born in '97, so I did not live the 90s way, but before I was born there is quite a few things that I care about from this decade. The music, even when Thrash Metal music started to fade away, underground bands still stood strong in order to save the genre in this decade and those defines my tastes as far for Thrash music in the 90s, aside from that there was some great Death Metal and Black metal in this decade with great releases and they define a good part of this decade as far as my musical tastes go for this decade. Additionally, there was a few notable T.V. show who came out in the 90s who made my childood in the early 2000s but I can't seem to remember most of them. the 90s also marks the last Stanley Cup of the Montreal Canadiens which is an important point of this glorious hockey team history.

In overall, I feel like it's a great decade too, just like the 80s.

Edited by ObliveonBr0ny
  • Brohoof 3

I was born in 1996 and I didn't catch much of the 90's culture. But did you know that shows we despise like Barney and the Teletubbies were more popular in the 90's than the 2000s. That's one downside of the 90's. But there's one show that for some reason, doesn't get a mention regarding the 90's that I really like called Arthur. Why should it be mentioned in a thread like this? Because that show started in the 90's and the classic episodes aired in the 90's as well.

There were also many great movies in the 90's. Especially animated ones like Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Toy Story 1 and 2, A Bug's Life, The Iron Giant, and many more.

As for music, I dislike the 90's boy bands. But I really like the grunge bands. I also like watching Beavis and Butthead mostly for the music videos.

• Brohoof 3

Say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Why so shocked?

I did listen to 90s music some growing up, but it just really fell through the cracks over the years. That says a lot because I typically don't just stop listening ot music I previously listened to. Forgettable is the only word I can describe it with - I can hardly even name anything from the 90s... Britney Spears and the boy bands (N-Sync? Backstreet Boys?)? Lol. That's all I've got.

• Brohoof 1

Why so shocked?

I did listen to 90s music some growing up, but it just really fell through the cracks over the years. That says a lot because I typically don't just stop listening ot music I previously listened to. Forgettable is the only word I can describe it with - I can hardly even name anything from the 90s... Britney Spears and the boy bands (N-Sync? Backstreet Boys?)? Lol. That's all I've got.

Nirvana is the first thing that comes to my mind. Or the big punk ones like blink-182, Offspring and Green Day... Course i was raised on that stuff so :kindness:

• Brohoof 2

Nirvana is the first thing that comes to my mind. Or the big punk ones like blink-182, Offspring and Green Day... Course i was raised on that stuff so :kindness:

I guess I've always associated Green Day and Blink-182 with the 00's. I don't think I've ever even heard anything from the 90s by Blink-182.

Nirvana and Offspring are just names to me, I don't know their music.

• Brohoof 2

I remember the very first time my Dad brought one of these into the house:

attachicon.gifimage.axd.png

And so it began...

I spent my teen years in the 1990's. (Born 1979...Yikes, that's a long time ago!) I remember my very first computer (You always remember your first!) It was a Proteva my mom and dad bought me from Home Shopping club in 1997. It had a super fast 700megahertz processor, an astoundingly huge 10GB hard drive, and 64MB of ram! It had a dial up phone modem, so the Internet was SLOOOOOW.

LOL!

The computer, monitor and printer cost ONLY $1000.00! It was for Christmas, but it came early and I was home when it was delivered. The surprise went right out the window. I wasn't allowed to open it for a couple of weeks! It gave me time to buy a nice desk, and get subscribed to "SNIP NET" (Southern New Jersey Internet Providers)

• Brohoof 3

As Pinkie would probably say: This will be a doozy. 

Ah the carefree 90's. Forget Dora the explorer, Calou, & Yo Gabba Gabba. I was frickin raised on Batman & Beast Wars. Oh and Barney. Barney was the hypest s##t. I still have my favorite book from my toddler years, Barney's magical hats. Oh and Wishbone was on too. A jack russell terrier that reenacts famous stories and applies the moral to his family in real life. The 90's were the era of the WB carton. Animaniacs, a show so ahead of its time in comedy, its time still hasn't come yet. A show also by Steven Spielberg believe it or not. What else? Freakazoid, Road Rovers, the Batman & Superman cartoons.

Of course it wasn't just kids shows. This was the era of sci-fi dominance. Star wars made a resurgence, Voyager & DS9 were on the airwaves, Star Gate became it's own show, and my favorites Babylon 5 conquered all. Oh and anyone remember Lois and Clark: The adventures of Superman? Speaking of all that, B5 & Supes were on the same network, TNT, back when it kicked ass. What else was on? WCW monday nitro. Going head to head with the then WWF monday night raw in the monday night wars, driving what would be known as the attitude era of pro wrestling, the peak of pro wrestling ratings, when upwards of 20 million people tune in and pick a side on monday. Wrestling was cool and in every school hallway or on the street you'd see lots of kids & teens with either their new World order shirts or their Austin 3:16 shirts.  No better time to be a wrestling fan. Sucks that I only managed to catch snippets of it. I was too young to stay up late and watch it all go down. Oh and Cops was on too. Cops never gets boring. 

Of course it wasn't just TV. Being that during the late 90's I didn't have the alternative of going outside to play due to living on the Arctic coast. So me and the other Inuit tribesmen had to find ways to entertain ourselves. And those came in the form of the *que childlike screaming voice* NINTENDO SIXTY FOUR! If it wasn't Rampage world tour, it was Star Wars shadows of the empire or Rogue Squadron. But then plot twist! Enter the PS1 and it's superior graphics. Sure there was whacky races, then there was Asteroids, and Colony Wars, which was way over my head at the time but makes more sense now. But nothing grabbed my interest in PS1 in the 90's like Darkstalkers 3, which helped kickstart my interest in anime and revealing to me the fun of the fighting game. There wasn't a whole lot of PC gaming. The only games I played were the South Park one, which I should not have been allowed to play or watch for that matter. Battleship, which had pretty good graphics and gameplay for it's time. Helluva lot better than the movie. And Beat Wars the video game. I could never get past the first level. Hasbro should start making those kinds of games again, with a very specific franchise in mind...

Now looking back, there's stuff from the 90's that I wish I had been old enough to experience. Metal music mostly. Even though the 90's are largely known as a low point for metal thanks to Nirvana's Nevermind & Metallica's "Black Album" kicking heavy music off the airwaves and keeping it off to this day. So many great bands that stood up and proved that metal wasn't dead. Pantera, Machine Head, Fear Factory, Sepultura, Type O Negative It would've been sick to see those guys back when they broke through. Heck, even thrash metal had it's peak in the 90's, with Slayer, Megadeth & Anthrax starring on the Clash of the Titans festival. So much good music during the 90's, back when music still had an industry that kept with the times. 

That is all... for now. 

• Brohoof 4

Although I was born in 1974 I came of age in the 90's, and I must say it was the best time of my life thus far I went, and saw all my favorite bands all thoughout the 90's it was a great time to be alive I must say. I often miss the 90's, and wish I could rehash those times, and I mean good times.

• Brohoof 1

The 90's was truly the golden age, imo. It gave birth to my favorite cartoons of all time, like Batman: The Animated Series, Spiderman: The Animated Series etc, etc. It was also in the 90's that the greatest rap album of all time hit the streets; Illmatic by Nas.

The 90's also gave birth to the term "streetwear" and the bucket hat.  :wub:

3820098.jpg?729

Overall, I loved the 90's. <3

Edited by Guest

Floppy disks, dinosaur computer monitors, MS-DOS, Windows 95, videotapes. Good times

Nas

I love nas 

The nineties weren't as radical and tubular and GNARLY as the 80's...  Whatever the hell that means.

This was honestly the first thing that came to mind:

post-26550-0-33896300-1428711193_thumb.jpg

Pogs.  A.k.a. milk caps.  They're...  Stupid.  I can see that now.  But I used to be big into the definitely-stupid things.  I had several metal "slammers," and I bought Nintendo character-themed ones...

Stupid.

This also came to mind:

post-26550-0-41607800-1428711279_thumb.jpg

Some people don't realize how long MtG has been around.  I was introduced to it by a squat, PS1 and Aerosmith-loving friend back in middle school.  He taught everyone INCORRECTLY lol.  He had all the best cards, he didn't play by the rules that he didn't want to play by, and I had to relearn the damned game on my own. xD

But it was still kinda fun at times.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 1

I was born in '97, so I missed out on literally everything about the 90s (and most of the early 00s, too!). The price of straddling the line between the millennial and X generations, I suppose. :P

I do remember the Pokemon: The Movie 2000 cereal.. I've still got the boxes. Very similar to Lucky Charms, but still awesome.

My musical taste is about 20 years in the past to...compensate for lost time, I guess? Most of the music I listen to now is 90s alternative and early 00s pop. Blink-182, Matchbox Twenty, Coldplay, Smash Mouth...

Edited by RCTM
  • Brohoof 1

I miss the cartoons but it was the

90's anime that reaaally broke open

the gate for well Anime like Sailor Moon

and DBZ and Cowboy Beebop:

• Brohoof 2