Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Airplanes.

FlyingSparkle

Me, I suppose. What kind of planes do you like to talk about?

My personal preference is military planes from WWI-WWII, mostly because those I know the best. I'd be happy to learn about any planes you want to discuss, though.

• Brohoof 2

My list is too long but the old Spitfire and Lockheed Martin's piece of shit F-35 (people be hatin' on it, *sob*) are my two favorites. 

• Brohoof 3

Oh, are we doing pictures now? That's cool.

Old-Rhinebeck.jpg

old-rhinebeck-aerodrome.jpg

I had the privilege of seeing these beauties fly, at "Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome".

Guys, you are awesome.

I'd love to buy my own single-motor biplan like AN2 and visit you all.

img-3656467-1-Antonov_AN2_Duxford_Airsho

Why not a Catalina?

1485685.jpg

My grandparents have a cabin on a lake. I've always wanted to show up one day in this.

• Brohoof 1

Why not a Catalina?

1485685.jpg

My grandparents have a cabin on a lake. I've always wanted to show up one day in this.

Funny thing, but wikipedia says, serial produsing was only before 1945.

Servise for this toy would be absolutely custom and, I guess, much more expensive.

And I like biplans, aesthetically.

Edited by Crypty Script
  • Brohoof 1

Here's something cool (and relevant, too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaF3d-ZEHC8

Wow. Impressive.

Funny thing, but wikipedia says, serial produsing was only before 1945.

Servise for this toy would be absolutely custom and, I guess, much more expensive.

Yep, definitely an old bird. Less practical, but no less beautiful. Also historically significant.

Hm... what are some cool modern planes...

I know! The Warthog!

A-10_Thunderbolt_II_In-flight-2.jpg

P.S. Goodnight everypony. This is awesome but it's getting late. More awesome tomorrow!

• Brohoof 1

Bah, peasants. Glorious German engineering triumphs, forever!

......yeah, I really like everything that has ever come out of the mind of Kurt Tank, most notably the Ta 152. Damnit, government, restore the last one left already!

But I must argue that my favorite is the original 190 A5. One of the first and best fighters of WW2, and heavily armed for its design year, with several 20mm and 12.7mm cannon/machine guns.

• Brohoof 1

I like the stories behind the planes, like the Americans building Rolls Royce merlins's and finding them to be unreliable because they didn't have the skilled labour to assemble them. So they went through all the production tolerances and made it into an engine that fitted together properly, making it the brilliant and multi purpose engine it needed to be. Rolls Royce used to have stick up there chuff about "elite engineering", but it's often production numbers that make great planes. And you can't do that when every single part only fits the engine it came off. (This info was from a fairly reliable source).

A story I can find nothing about is desert typhoons having a big machine gun under slung as tank killers. When father in law was very much younger, an old boy stared telling him about his mech days in the desert. The story was that they split breach blocks, so, against regulation they welded them up, chucked a load of rounds down them and bingo, they were back in buisness. It was said they flew so low they got grass thrown up into rads!

If I had spare cash I'd probably blow some on flying. My RC helicopter is good, but sitting in one is better.

So why don't we introduce some civil airliners into this thread? Here, have the first plane I ever flew on. Although not the exact one I first flew on.

2616841.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Yes, you are quite right, but it's like tanks vs bulldozers I guess, one is a bit more exciting :(

I went on a course to repair aluminium skinned honey comb panels that was a very interesting civil aircraft fix. All about anodising the surface to epoxy glue on patches and doublers. We mixed tiny glass beads with phosphoric acid and put them in a vacuum bag so you could anodise up side down. The same vacuum kit had a heater pad to cure the single pack epoxy.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a sucker for the Sukhoi 27 Family.

img-3656458-1-PWkjvwZ.jpg

The quality is great, but there are a couple potential problems with this render.  The forward section of the canopy seems to be missing, which would make for a rather uncomfortable ride at this speed and altitude.  It might just be the angle and lighting, though.

Also, Lead appears to be turning abruptly into 2.  Or maybe 2 is not properly following Lead.  Either way, it puts 2 in the dangerous position of flying directly into Lead's jet wash while 2's only real breakout option (from this angle) would be an aggressive negative-G pushover.  The artist seems to know a lot about lighting and rendering, but not much about formation flying.

Edited by PlunderSteed
  • Brohoof 1

Just for you guys, Im in to civil aircraft. I like fighter jets but i like the bigger civil jets more! (Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, Fokker, Embraer etc.)

Here is a pic of my home country's airliner!1156350514_PH-BQL_Boeing-777-206(ER)_KLMFascinating, Boeing 777-206(ER)

Cheers ~FlyingSparkle

• Brohoof 2

I'm rather interested in the Solar Impulse. Any of you guys heard of this thing?

http://solarimpulse.com

Solar-powered prop plane, making a round-the-world tour (not continuous flight, unfortunately, but still!). It started in Abu Dhabi, and it's gone as far as China now. I'm really excited that it'll eventually pass through New York!

solarimpulse4.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I'm rather interested in the Solar Impulse. Any of you guys heard of this thing?

http://solarimpulse.com

Solar-powered prop plane, making a round-the-world tour (not continuous flight, unfortunately, but still!). It started in Abu Dhabi, and it's gone as far as China now. I'm really excited that it'll eventually pass through New York!

img-3657385-1-solarimpulse4.jpg

Yup, Heared about this. Amazing isn't it?

~FlyingSparkle

• Brohoof 1

Yep! As my title implies, I flight sim quite a bit. Unfortunately, I'm that mainstream .. Guy that mostly flight sims commercial and doesn't know much about other planes (except a bit of military).

I'm a fan of the Super 80. Specifically in AA colors (the last one, not the new kne :okiedokielokie:).

*clears throat @Wind Chaser*

Edited by Swirly's Beau

I work in air freight but all of you are so much more excited about planes than I am. Those 767's are small, when it comes to freight capacity. 787, hoping we get one again. Makes my life easier. 

I'm not an airplane  fan.

I get motion sickness so easily and I am terrified of the plane crashing. 

I had a bad run going from Gatwick, to Oslo to Stavaga where my my ears absolutely wrecked, so I'm no fan of flying pressurised right now either. But planes in general are definitely in my fan file. Mindyou, it is quite a varied file.