Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Airplanes.

FlyingSparkle

I actually do indeed like airplanes.

My favorites include the classic Boeing 747s, except the -200SUDs and -300s. Because stretched upper deck makes it look bad, especially without winglets, which, for me, makes the -400 look a bit better than the other SUDs.

So, my top four are:

#1: Boeing 747SP

#2: Boeing 747-200 (except SUDs)

#3: Boeing 747-100

#4: Tupolev Tu-104

I love the smaller style propeller planes personally, there's a charm about them I don't get from other aircraft. They just show so much more freedom of movement to me and not as bogged down with having to initiate careful turning and altitude adjustments and whatnot. I could be dead wrong of course, I'm in no way a plane expert here, but they just seem to me, in general, more fun to fly.

1850616.jpg

Spitfire agrees :wacko:

85684+-+Spitfire_Mk._VII+Supermarine_Spi

• Brohoof 1

On the topic of planes, I've gotten a little more paranoid with them.

Over the recent years, it seems we have more plane crashes than the early 2000s.

The Asiana flight (the one with the racist Asian names), Flight 217 (or something like that, the Malaysian flight crashed in sea), the plane crash in Taiwan, and the most recent one, the German plane crash.

In my opinion, that seems too many in a 2 year range

Edited by The Soldier

On the topic of planes, I've gotten a little more paranoid with them.

Over the recent years, it seems we have more plane crashes than the early 2000s.

The Asiana flight (the one with the racist Asian names), Flight 217 (or something like that, the Malaysian flight crashed in sea), the plane crash in Taiwan, and the most recent one, the German plane crash.

In my opinion, that seems too many in a 2 year range

With the exception of MH370, all of the recent major crashes were due entirely to human error or purposeful attack/sabotage.  And even then, all of the causes were different from each other.  It might be a little premature to call it a trend, but then again I haven't done an objective comparison of this decade compared to last.  I've been flying for 7 years, and feel as safe as ever both as a passenger and a pilot.

@@The Soldier, that may just be because more planes are flying now than 20 years ago. I don't know, I'd have to dig up some data to be sure about that.

@, I know what you mean. WWI planes FTW then! So light and agile... and an open cockpit makes it that much more visceral. I've actually been up in an open-cockpit biplane (as a passenger, not a pilot) - it was awesome. But noisy. Also, Spitfire in a Spitfire. I've seen that joke coming for so long, but this is the first time I've actually found it being made.

@@Orion Caelum, If you like big guns, try these on for size:

B-25G, with a 75mm cannon. That's a freakin' light artillery caliber!

B25G_ICR1.jpg

And the Vulcan cannon, such as was mounted on F-4 Phantom II's. 20mm, yes, but 6000 rounds per minute. Unbeatable.

300px-Vulcan1.jpg

Anyone here play War Thunder?

From time to time. It's a little frustrating, though. Most of my friends have made it to Tier 5 and I'm stuck in Tier 3. Plus, I think the game provides incentives for getting kills rather than completing missions / winning games. For the moment I've retreated to single-player flightsims. But I might come back. Once I have less work to do.

I don't why,but I like the Nakajima Oscar :adorkable:  it seems to be nicer looking than the Mitsubishi zero to me  :rarity:

Maybe it looks better; but is it good? Can it fly, or fight, better?

I honestly don't know. Pacific theater isn't my strong suit.

From time to time. It's a little frustrating, though. Most of my friends have made it to Tier 5 and I'm stuck in Tier 3. Plus, I think the game provides incentives for getting kills rather than completing missions / winning games. For the moment I've retreated to single-player flightsims. But I might come back. Once I have less work to do.

My roommate and I are stuck at tier 3. I made it to the bottom of tier 4 in America, but that's it. I've kinda hit a wall in the game.

I only play realistic battles, and I only use a joystick. The game is incredibly frustrating--I am at such a disadvantage when it comes to aiming and performing stable manoeuvres. The mouse aimers make the game too difficult. Even in my favorite planes, my KDR is only 1:1. In my bad planes, I've flown 20 or so missions without ever a single kill.

The game has such potential, but I only ever want to play it on weekend nights when I have a few beers in the fridge.

Maybe it looks better; but is it good? Can it fly, or fight, better?

I honestly don't know. Pacific theater isn't my strong suit.

They're similar. The Oscar was just the non-carrier variant of the Zero.

They both have exceptional turning capability, and paper-thin armor. I think the Oscar has better high-altitude performance, speed, and range. The Zeros had better firepower, though.

My roommate and I are stuck at tier 3. I made it to the bottom of tier 4 in America, but that's it. I've kinda hit a wall in the game.

I only play realistic battles, and I only use a joystick. The game is incredibly frustrating--I am at such a disadvantage when it comes to aiming and performing stable manoeuvres. The mouse aimers make the game too difficult. Even in my favorite planes, my KDR is only 1:1. In my bad planes, I've flown 20 or so missions without ever a single kill.

The game has such potential, but I only ever want to play it on weekend nights when I have a few beers in the fridge.

I know what you mean. It's not really a flight-sim as much as an "arcade" game (as the setting implies); real flight strategies or piloting skill will get you nowhere in an inferior plane (or with "inferior"/realistic controls).

There's a really old WWI game called "Red Baron 3D" that I really love. It's not the most realistic, and the graphics are horrible, but it presents you with the real kinds of choices and challenges pilots would have to deal with:

I'm damaged, and it's just the start of an offensive patrol. Should I go home or push on?

When should I break off from a dogfight, leaving my mates to die so I can live? Should I at all?

etc.

Anyone else heard of this game at all? Played it, maybe?

They're similar. The Oscar was just the non-carrier variant of the Zero. They both have exceptional turning capability, and paper-thin armor. I think the Oscar has better high-altitude performance, speed, and range. The Zeros had better firepower, though.

Hmm. Given the sort of engagements they would get in on that front, I can see why the Zero would be more useful. Being locked to a landmass is inconvenient in a naval-air war. They might have done better to get a whole different, heavier land-based plane. Would've given them the advantage defending their islands. Just speculating.

There was a red baron pizza game that I played once. I remember trying to crash into the red baron pizza trucks.

Yeah, that's, uh... not it.

Always been a big fan of airplanes and airplane-based games, like IL2. Man, I love IL2 & DCS.

Also, this thread needs more Zero.  :wub:

Yes, the Zero's a beautiful bird. No doubt about that.

Did they ever make an IL2 for the Western Front? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

@@Suukorak,

This

It's based on the Battle of Britain, so I guess it's the Western Front, but I don't think there was ever an IL2 set around the Battle of France, Belgium etc.

Edit: The game is set in France aswell. Silly me.

Also:

WWII_planes_by_Rhopunzel.png

Edited by Guest