Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone else just love humanity?

SFyr

I mean like, have you ever realized stopped and thought about how much we've accomplished as a species? Or, what our accomplishments symbolize?

I've been trying to think about the word intelligence a bit, and found myself almost wanting to rant about how amazing mankind can be.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 9

Definitely! Some of the stuff we come up with is absolutely amazing! The invention of the modern camera is what gets me. I just don't understand how something from real life can be captured onto a screen. Like not a re-creation of it, but the actual scene itself! I guess the same goes for video too. Then there's things like the inventions of every transport vehicle, voyaging to space, all types of art and every artist, etc.

• Brohoof 3

honestly... our inventions are amazing... especially creating the computer :wat:  I still don't know how they pulled it off...

Edited by KrazyDashie
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

@, all of which things I love, haha. Honestly, each and every one of those things is the product of generations of work and building/perfecting knowledge, which just makes it all the more impressive!  :lol:

@@KrazyDashie, I'd like to know too, haha. I know a few basic concepts... but the true bulk of it is staggeringly complicated.  :muffins:

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, there is a certain person on MLPF that has the cure for the common cold and the cure for cancer, and even he believes we're pretty useless as a species. He's also worked on memetic warfare and airborne Ebola via genetic engineering, so I wonder what he'll do about that whole "we should start over" mentality. *crosses fingers*

Me personally? I agree with him.

because I am him

@@Orion Caelum, I've actually heard of a legitimate cure for cancer that had been developed many, many years ago involving genetically modified microorganisms and such, but it was easily too dangerous to go for.

Also, while I agree the potential for dark is great, I also like to look at all the good human minds have done too.  :) Though, I'm kinda curious how one would modify Ebola to be airborne?

@@Orion Caelum, I've actually heard of a legitimate cure for cancer that had been developed many, many years ago involving genetically modified microorganisms and such, but it was easily too dangerous to go for.

Also, while I agree the potential for dark is great, I also like to look at all the good human minds have done too. :) Though, I'm kinda curious how one would modify Ebola to be airborne?

-__EDITED FOR THE SAKE OF HUMANITY__-

That's from this thing I'm currently writing. :P

While we may argue that point, I recall a quote that stated "Every single invention with a massive positive benefit, from the wheel to nuclear power, has also had a massive negative benefit, namely, the war chariot and the nuclear bomb." The possibility for everything is that, very likely, one man's penicillin is another man's airborne Ebola.

Edited by Orion Caelum
  • Brohoof 1

@@Orion Caelum, interesting stuff, though I think I'm a little more curious on how the physiology of that works.  ;) Though, I can't really claim to be far enough along in microbiology to understand. So the basic idea is to pass qualities of ebola onto an already existing strain of microorganisms that are small enough to be airborne?

Still, interesting stuff.

I mean like, have you ever realized stopped and thought about how much we've accomplished as a species? Or, what our accomplishments symbolize?

I've been trying to think about the word intelligence a bit, and found myself almost wanting to rant about how amazing mankind can be.

Yes, is true we have advanced alot as a species, but we still have many flaws that hinder our progress 

Yes, is true we have advanced alot as a species, but we still have many flaws that hinder our progress 

Of course, but no matter the hindrance we're still moving forward.  :) There is so much knowledge passed on from our ancestors that's still being actively taught. It's even serving as a foundation for younger individuals to come in where older ones left off, and deepen the knowledge of a subject or expand the pool of application. Honestly, we likely only see a small fraction of the progress currently underway, or planned realistically for the near future.

I love humanity! I know we can all be complete jerks from time to time, but I still have an undying respect for it. From creating new technology to finding out the cures to cancer to building new cities, I truly think that humanity is a thing that I am very thankful for.

• Brohoof 3

To answer your question...two words - hell no.

To clarify, we have done some good, but that is dwarved by the massive and constant amount of screw ups. Hell we are a danger to everyone around us, including ourselves because our species have about as much discipline, compassion and responsibility as a teenager about to shoot up a school.

Our inventions are unnecessary at best.

Edited by HopeTheWanderer
  • Brohoof 1

It's a bit of a love-hate relationship. I love all that we've accomplished as a species and there are some amazingly brilliant people out there that I would love to meet and shake hands with. The hate part of the relationship comes from the less pleasant side of humanity, but I suppose you can't really have the good without the bad.

• Brohoof 5

@@Odyssey, that's great to hear, haha. And yeah, I'm thankful humanity is a thing regardless of how we can sometimes be a bunch of jerks.  ;)

@@HopeTheWanderer, I respect that, and while I do think the amount of our screw ups as a species can easily be underplayed (and probably has in this topic), I think the opposite of what dwarfs what.  :) When people screw up, it's pretty obvious. When someone works thanklessly over a long period of time, it doesn't get mentioned nearly as readily. So long as we produce people who want little more than to help others, learn, explore, and create, I can't share your view of humanity.  :lol: But, like I said, I can respect where you're coming from, because we legitimately do screw up a lot.

@@Celtore, yeah, I think that duality comes with the potential. We tend to have people who take either side of the spectrum, but so long as that spectrum is wide, you wind up with amazingly horrible with amazingly great. :derp:  

• Brohoof 2

We've accomplished some pretty amazing stuff, such as leaving our own planet and going to another. Technically it's not a planet, it's a moon, but that doesn't take away from the amount of intelligence and design that went into getting there. Although we're dicks to not only other species but each other as well, we're still amazing with how intelligent we are and how we're even beginning to understand how our entire universe works.

• Brohoof 2

@@HopeTheWanderer, I respect that, and while I do think the amount of our screw ups as a species can easily be underplayed (and probably has in this topic), I think the opposite of what dwarfs what.  :) When people screw up, it's pretty obvious. When someone works thanklessly over a long period of time, it doesn't get mentioned nearly as readily. So long as we produce people who want little more than to help others, learn, explore, and create, I can't share your view of humanity.  :lol: But, like I said, I can respect where you're coming from, because we legitimately do screw up a lot.

Pardon my skepticism, I'm not one to let our species 'off the hook' so to speak. One can't just brush all of our species wrongdoings under the rug(especially since we are a legitimate threat to every living being on Earth, including ourselves) and praise what little good we've done. We are like children compared to other species and still have much to learn, hell we can't even get our diet right, that's pretty laughable.

Plus we still commit genocide today as well as tormenting other individuals, both of other species and of our own and we completely tolerate it not to mention that our species also is big into indoctrination or for lack of a better term, brainwashing.

Also, as far as looks go, we look pretty hideous when compared to other animals, not a complaint since it is fitting, but worth pointing out.

I'll sum it up with a few words: We are herbivorous beings who think they are omnivorous, I know it kind of sounds like a bad joke, but its sadly true.

Yes. I know we're horrible, we've screwed up a crap-ton of stuff and we're totally not the perfect species, but, in a sense, nothing is, and at least we're trying to save it now. We've created and destroyed, we've ruined and repaired, it's all a part of life. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@@HopeTheWanderer, I don't know about all that.  :) Personally I think what we've accomplished is amazing, and while our atrocities are pretty staggering, I don't think defining ourselves by something other than our faults is brushing them under the rug. Also, by what capacity did you mean that we're metaphorically speaking, a child as a race?

I think those issues are a complicated mess, and you're seeing it simpler than it might be.  :huh: Yes, genocide, murder, and torture still exist, but I don't think it's something we just love to tolerate, or do so unanimously. I can't believe every member of our race is horrible by default.

And brainwashing... conforming to social norms is a common thing; yes we take it too far, but it just comes with the pack/group dynamic--authority exists, and those underneath it do to some measure conform to the group.  :muffins: In the wild, it's domination and submission. Here, it's laws and ideals.

I think looks are a personal preference.  :catface: Every form including humans was the result of striving for functionality before all else, just as the blobfish's pudgy, fatty body was designed to provide buoyancy at a water depth where air bladders would no longer suffice. We are as we are because it suited our survival.

Also, I'm curious to where you're getting that we're not omnivores; like, not offensively meant, just that I'd legitimately like to read about that side of things. :)  Almost everything I've heard has said that we're opportunistic omnivores (or some nearby variation of), that may or may not be able to supplement key proteins and nutrients in the place of animal products.

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 1

Pretty hard to say because we have nothing to compare with. x)

But yeah I like humanity in general, what humans have accomplished so far is amazing when you think about it: in arts but especially in sciences. All these inventions like phones, TV, electricity, medicine....

It's even more surprising when you see what Earth looked like before humans appeared, we made all these things out of that. :o

• Brohoof 1

@@Blobulle, yeah, the world is certainly a different place now.  ;) It's almost staggering what we used to change it, and how much knowledge/experimentation it took. If there was another race we could compare with... well, that'd be more interesting than just about anything. Maybe that's part of why we're so big on alien races?

And yes, art is just lovely too!  :D

• Brohoof 1