Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Openly LGBT Ponies

MelonPonyIV

Um, Caramel has never been confirmed as being LGBT. I'm all for children being exposed to different sexualities, but at current time it would be unfortunately too risky to have a major gay character in a children's show. The Legend of Korra did it, so we can hope.

Edited by Phanpy
  • Brohoof 6

IIRC, Caramel was seen with a girlfriend in the Hearts & Hooves day ep?

Sadly, it does seem unlikely MLP will ever go there, which is a real shame as other cartoons (Korra, Steven Universe etc) are including more non-straight characters lately. I think the closest thing we have is Lyra and Bon Bon in EQG Rainbow Rocks:

post-28557-0-03451400-1412465766.png

but I'm pretty sure that's just fanservice and not likely to be confirmed or seen in FiM itself. We can dream though~ :kindness:

• Brohoof 3

As it stands the simple truth is that are no confirmed characters in FiM that are either lesbian, gay, bisexual, or trans-sexual, and I doubt you'll ever see that outside of MLP in 4 or 5 generations time.

• Brohoof 2

hasbro already pissed off so many butthurt parents by simply making one pony have derpy eyes( so offensive!), i can only imagine what those people would do if they´d see their children watching a show with openly non-heterosexual characters.

Because, you know, that is bad for them. And stuff.

(So no, there aren´t any, and i don´t think there will ever be any)

Edited by Sceethe

Culture in Canada and the US is heading steadily more towards openness towards LGBT, but it's not there yet. Sadly there are still way too many people who throw bitch fits over what doesn't impact their lives in the slightest. Until that happens, shows rated Y are probably not ever going to directly confirm a character as this or that, at best they could give a subtle hint. It's not quite the same as TLoK, which is practically an anime, not a Y-rated cartoon.

• Brohoof 1

Even hetero romance is a slightly touchy subject at this TV rating, so no, I highly doubt there will ever be any openly gay ponies.

We will have to settle for subtle hints such as Lyra and Bon Bon.

• Brohoof 3

As far as I'm aware, there are no confirmed LGBT ponies on the show. I wouldn't mind at all if there were, though.

I used to be all "oh man, I'm gay but I'm not sure this is appropriate for MLP at the moment", but then I started watching Steven Universe and Korra. Now? Bring the LGBT on, it's time. It's been done and done well, and in ways that aren't "oh hey we should accept LGBT people" but just showing them as they are, with no pretense, and an understanding that representation of LGBT in media doesn't have to be heavy handedly preaching acceptance or anything.

If heterosexual romance is okay on the show (Mr. and Mrs. Cake for example), homosexual romance is okay too. That's how I see it.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 8

IIRC, Caramel was seen with a girlfriend in the Hearts & Hooves day ep?

Sadly, it does seem unlikely MLP will ever go there, which is a real shame as other cartoons (Korra, Steven Universe etc) are including more non-straight characters lately. I think the closest thing we have is Lyra and Bon Bon in EQG Rainbow Rocks:

img-3667545-1-post-28557-0-03451400-1412

but I'm pretty sure that's just fanservice and not likely to be confirmed or seen in FiM itself. We can dream though~ :kindness:

When did Steven Universe have an LGBT character? I know Clarence had a scene with a gay couple and they have Jeff's mothers. Are you sure you're not thinking of that?

When did Steven Universe have an LGBT character? I know Clarence had a scene with a gay couple and they have Jeff's mothers. Are you sure you're not thinking of that?

Major spoilers here, but

Garnet, one of the main characters from the show, is literally the fusion-form of two female-gendered sexless space rocks who are in a romantic relationship.

That, and

Pearl is heavily implied to have loved Rose, though whether it's was in a romantic or chivalric manner isn't exactly clear.

Oh, and we can't forget

Stevonnie, who is the fusion of a male and female human that the crew behind the show specifically avoids assigning a gender pronoun.

The show is practically a poster-child for handling these sorts of topics in intelligent, subtle, and interesting ways.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 6

That's never going to happen; it simply isn't permitted by the TV-Y rating, and Hasbro likes to play it safe with MLP, after all it's just intended to advertise their toys, no reason to make it controversial.

hasbro already pissed off so many butthurt parents by simply making one pony have derpy eyes( so offensive!), i can only imagine what those people would do if they´d see their children watching a show with openly non-heterosexual characters.

Because, you know, that is bad for them. And stuff.

(So no, there aren´t any, and i don´t think there will ever be any)

Actually that wasn't what happened, what actually happened is that itunes told them to censor the episode because they were worried that parents would find it offensive, as this video shows.

And there are no LGBT characters in MLP, the LyraBon thing is very debatable to say the least, whilst yes they did touch cheeks that's hardly enough to prove they're in a relationship, again I can't stand this concept that any physical interaction with anyone means you're in love with them. And for the last time ponies! Your fanfiction is just that fanfiction and no matter how hard you try it's not canon. And I personally would love to see some gay ponies in this show (and even have my own idea for how it should be done) and with the show doing increasingly risky things I think it could happen (although I find it quite sad that showing homosexual characters is a risky thing to do).

• Brohoof 2

You're thinking of the wrong show. As TenorSounds pointed out, there are several characters in Steven Universe that aren't straight. Gems are nonbinary as well.

And since Steven Universe is able to do this, I don't see why MLP won't be able to. They're both children's shows. 

Are there any lgbt ponies, all I know of is Caramel but are there any others?

Well there's that time in Winter Wrap Up when Colgate and BP snuggled together, along with AJ doing the same with other ponies, but saying that this case confirms LGBT ponies would be a little far-stretched. It did look lesbian as hell when I first saw it though.

Here's the thing. We assume that the characters are straight if they are interested in the opposite sex. We also have to know what universe to go by. In the comics, it's pretty obvious that Rarity is bisexual. In the show, it's not as obvious. She's probably straight in the show, but we don't know. That's just one example. Maybe all the ponies are lgbt.

We know Rainbow isn't gay, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's straight. 

Twilight likes stallions, but that doesn't mean she doesn't like mares. 

Applejack shows no interest in stallions, and the flirting she does with mares is most likely just friendship. Maybe she's only interested in certain stallions who we haven't met. 

You get the idea. We don't know any of their sexual orientations. Not even Rarity's. Though Rarity is most likely 100% straight on the show version. We don't actually know that for certain, though. Of course they won't have her have a crush on a mare because it's a kid's show, and for some reason, kids can't watch homosexuality on TV. 

Applejack and Rainbow's sexual orientation are often guessed based on stereotypes. Applejack is a farmer, so she's straight. Rainbow has rainbow mane, so she's gay. It is confirmed that Rainbow isn't gay, though. We don't even know if Applejack is interested in stallions yet. 

All orientations are just speculations. Sure, in our world, it's a safe bet to say that someone is straight when guessing their sexual orientation, but things could be different in Equestria. 

As for trangender:

We know Applejack isn't MtF, Pumpkin Cake isn't MtF, and Pound Cake isn't FtM. That's because we know their assigned sex at birth. That doesn't mean none of them are transgender, though. 

Caramel isn't confirmed MtF. His male version showed up after his female version did. 

No one's orientation nor gender identity status is confirmed. That's why we have headcanons. 

• Brohoof 2

And since Steven Universe is able to do this, I don't see why MLP won't be able to. They're both children's shows.

Maybe because Steven Universe is rated TV-PG while MLP:FiM is rated TV-Y.

• Brohoof 1

Sadly, there are no confirmed LGBT characters as of yet. While we can say that they also aren't confirmed as not LGBT, the way our society is constructed every character will be seen as straight and cis until proven otherwise in the eyes of most people :/

As for whether I think it could happen, I agree with what a lot of other people are saying about other shows pulling it off, most prominently Steven Universe. I am bothered that everyone here is mentioning The Legend of Korra but not Adventure Time when citing other shows that managed this, but that's a rant for another thread. Regardless, I think there's a trend towards acceptance of at least some factions of the LGBT community, even if that trend is moving very slowly, and I think that if any show is likely to be the first with a Y rating to include a queer character, it's My Little Pony. They already have a main character with a realistic Anxiety disorder, another who's been shown to be realistically affected by the death of her parents (though they haven't said that outright yet either), and they took on themes of cult behavior and brainwashing in the latest season opener. I have a lot of faith in this show, and I for one think they can do it and do it well, and will be cheering them on when they do.

• Brohoof 5

It's a question of economics. Steven Universe and the Legend of Korra, didn't have a large toy company funding them for the primary purpose of selling toys. And unless gay adoption rights drastically change over the next years, the gain in pony sales by supporting the LGBT community can't remotely cover the losses Hasbro would get from conservative parents boycotting their products. So that is why we haven't had any openly gay ponies thus far and probably never will.

With intolerance apparently being in style these days,

Since forever* 

Also psh. No openly LGBT ponies in the show at all. 

Or much elements of sexuality either.

I'm sure if you want that you can use the fandoms stuff : P

This may never happen, as love is something barely touched on in this show to begin with, besides some rare occasions. That on its own shows that this could not happen for a looooong time, which is slightly disappointing. What I wish that Hasbro and some of the parents that might be overly cautious would learn is that sexuality does not automatically equate to sex. To me, if two hetero characters can show affection towards each other in a show without any kind of sexual interaction (obviously), then I don't see why two characters of the same gender cannot show the exact same affection in the exact same way, because it is the exact same thing, just with a different starting parameter. The main reason I say this is because these relationships and affections ARE real and becoming more and more apparent as more people are open about it in today's world. 

That is my two cents. We may never see this, but it would be interesting to at least see it once in the show, if love is ever further explored that is. I know many don't want love to be a huge focus which I understand that, so it depends on that as well.

• Brohoof 3