Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Openly LGBT Ponies

MelonPonyIV

That is my two cents. We may never see this, but it would be interesting to at least see it once in the show, if love is ever further explored that is.

In my opinion, the world should embrace the way the Brothers Grimm did things and expose everything to children as is necessary to teach lessons and morals. Censorship leads to weak minded children.

• Brohoof 3

The LyraBon scene in Rainbow Rocks seems to me like the intent was to make them a practically canon couple, just without directly stating it. It's been such a mainstay in the fandom since the beginning. But sadly, that sort of vague scene is probably the best they can do given the current social climate. I do hope they at least do more scenes like that though, and preferably keep pushing it a little farther each time to see how the audience reacts.

There's also the dragon in the season 1 opener, who is about as stereotypically gay as it gets. Still doesn't confirm that he actually is, but hopefully that scene has been keeping away the more extreme haters all along :P

• Brohoof 1

In my opinion, the world should embrace the way the Brothers Grimm did things and expose everything to children as is necessary to teach lessons and morals. Censorship leads to weak minded children.

Psh. Wouldn't want to be too similar to them  : P

Some of their stories were bloody screwed up >.<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wie_Kinder_Schlachtens_miteinander_gespielt_haben

Edited by Aleh

I don't care either way. It's unlikely to happen because "muh gay agenda", though.

With intolerance apparently being in style these days,

Not sure where you got that idea. It's largely the opposite amongst the mainstream.

Didn't the Brothers Grimm depict rape, murder, and torture in their original stories? It's not like they were originally for children anyhow.

Not sure where you got that idea. It's largely the opposite amongst the mainstream.

I see a lot of intolerance, I guess.

Didn't the Brothers Grimm depict rape, murder, and torture in their original stories?

That was normal in fairy tales back then. Children are more mentally strong than they are given credit for.

• Brohoof 2

I see a lot of intolerance, I guess.

That was normal in fairy tales back then. Children are more mentally strong than they are given credit for.

Yeah, but this isn't "something happening nowdays".

We've improved tonnes xD

I mean hell, it was illegal to be gay until quite a few decades ago >.<

Also psh. Times change , pretty unlikely that we'll be able to get people back into accepting stuff from the middle ages.

I mean we also used to take kids to public executions xD

• Brohoof 1

Well, here's how it works. The charters have no cannon sexuality unless otherwise proven by cannon. If a characters falls in love with someone, that porves the sexuality. We already know Rarity is either straight or bisexual seeing as she's so far fallen for stallions.

Sadly, I don't think they'd go LGBT. Not because of being against that, but it would be hard to get away with without some group freaking out. Even when Disney does it, it's extremely subtle. There's probably gonna be one day where someone makes a cannon gay character in a kids cartoon, and then many other cartoons do it.

Also psh. Times change , pretty unlikely that we'll be able to get people back into accepting stuff from the middle ages.

Brothers Grimm isn't from the middle ages. :twi: They were from the mid 19th century. The early industrial age.

• Brohoof 1

One FIM comic did slip in a reference to Sailor Moon with Sailor Uranus and Neptune.

They were a lesbian couple in the series.

sailor_uranus_and_sailor_neptune_as_poni

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 2

They weren't supposed to be for children, though. They were just a collection of folktales. 

None of them are gay or transgender XD

Is that confirmed? Every single pony being straight and cisgender is very unlikely. I know in you're utopia society, everyone is straight and cisgender, but Equestria isn't a utopia society. Like in our world, lgbt exists in Equestria. If you want to argue that Equestria is a fictional place, which it is, then where does it say that all ponies are straight and cisgender?

Is that confirmed? Every single pony being straight and cisgender is very unlikely. I know in you're utopia society, everyone is straight and cisgender, but Equestria isn't a utopia society. Like in our world, lgbt exists in Equestria. If you want to argue that Equestria is a fictional place, which it is, then where does it say that all ponies are straight and cisgender?

It's a cartoon. No need to assume any characters are gay unless it specifically shows it xD

Also why wouldn't lgbt exist in a utopian society?

Wasn't what was being suggested at all ._.

• Brohoof 1

It's a cartoon. No need to assume any characters are gay unless it specifically shows it xD

Also why wouldn't lgbt exist in a utopian society?

Wasn't what was being suggested at all ._.

A utopian society for people against the lgbt community.

A utopian society for people against the lgbt community.

Who aren't in this thread at all so it's strange that you'd bring it up xD

I would put Rainbow Dash's crush on Daring Do as in the field. RD does love Daring Do.

Also EG is throwing the idea out on something between Twilight and Sunset.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

yeah, obviously my utopian society is filled with straight people and cisgender people when I am gay :P

Sorry. To be so sure that no pony is lgbt, they seem to not want it to happen.

It's more that it's fairly derpy to go "oh well here is this show which barely mentions sexuality. Let's pretend some are gay" than people thinking lgbt stuff is bad.

Pretty hard for people to be legitimately homophobic, considering the fandom >.<

And there are no LGBT characters in MLP, the LyraBon thing is very debatable to say the least, whilst yes they did touch cheeks that's hardly enough to prove they're in a relationship, again I can't stand this concept that any physical interaction with anyone means you're in love with them.

I hate that, too. I kiss my female friends and hug them; that doesn't mean that I'm in love with them. Hell, I kiss and hug my male friends, too. It's what people do to show affection to friends.

I doubt that there'll be any gay or bisexual ponies in the show cuz it's a kid's show that kinda wants to stay on the air. Anime is quite different; it's aimed at adults or at the very most, teenagers, so has different rules.

• Brohoof 2

I hope I live to see the day when we've evolved past the notion that heterosexual relationships are fine and dandy for a kids show, but homosexuality is too "mature", too "adult" or some other such nonsense.  What's the difference?  Obviously, neither kind of relationship would actually include sexual behavior on the show.  Children can understand hetero relationships just fine (Shining Armor & Cadence, the Cakes, various crushes, etc), so I see no reason why they can't understand homo.  Why are heterosexual relationships rated G but homosexual relationships are apparently rated R or something?  (I live and breathe; I understand the reasons.  My point is there shouldn't be a difference.)  Anypony can like anypony else in a romantic way.  That's all you need to do to explain it.  Like I said, I hope I live to see it.

• Brohoof 5

Are there any lgbt ponies, all I know of is Caramel but are there any others?

There haven't been any characters confirmed as LGBT.

• 4 weeks later...

There are some LGBT in prime time sit coms (Modern Families, for instance) + Smithers in The Simpsons is implied (no doubt, many others, I don't watch much TV)

But, in a TVY kid's cartoon? Not going to happen, Hasbro wouldn't let them get within a million miles of it.  Too controversial.

That being said, given the M/F ratio in Ponyville, IMO you've got 3 possibilities

1) For some reason, Ponyville is WAY outside EQ norms.

2) Polygamy (1 male + many females)  Historically the most common human pattern, the 20th century is pretty atypical.

3) Lesbianism is widespread & (at least implicitly) tolerated.