Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Steven Universe Fanclub

darkwingmare

I've heard ALOT about this show but I never really got the appeal from my end :P Could someone here give me a good pitch as to why I should watch it? I'm just honestly curious :)

• Brohoof 1

I've heard ALOT about this show but I never really got the appeal from my end :P Could someone here give me a good pitch as to why I should watch it? I'm just honestly curious :)

I was like that not so long ago. My ex would always talk about the show and i never really said anything about it. Till i watched it of course and i fell in love with it. I don't really have much to say about it to convince you apart from it's amazing and funny while having quite good lore and overall just very cheerful that will make you smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubHWqSLujns

• Brohoof 1

I was like that not so long ago. My ex would always talk about the show and i never really said anything about it. Till i watched it of course and i fell in love with it. I don't really have much to say about it to convince you apart from it's amazing and funny while having quite good lore and overall just very cheerful that will make you smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubHWqSLujns

I may check it out :) I had the same doubts with Gravity Falls and I love that show to pieces now ^_^ It all just depends on my first impressions :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Me and @sergetoxic reacting to the new episode, if anyone would be interested to watch it. We talk about a few things in the end of the video too.

There's PLENTY of reasons why you should watch Steven Universe. It's creative, there's nothing else like it, it breaks all of society's stereotypes, they have a special way of making their character's expressions and emotions real and pure. There's so much humanity in these characters, it's as if they were real existing beings and that's usually hard to capture in a children's program like this. They deal with issues no other show usually have the guts to deal with, like sorrow of a lost one, gay relationships, commitment, war, depression, the feeling of being worthless. This show deals with almost every problem and feeling you could go through in the real life, BUT in a realistic and creative way. The musical numbers are rare, special and brilliant, the characters are like nothing I've ever seen before, the animation is simply amazing and it's just an amazing show. The concept and plot of the show is also deeper and more interesting than anything I've ever watched before, and all these things are reasons for why this show goes before anything I watch. Before MLP, Gravity Falls, Over The Garden Wall, before anything. You should watch it! You have every reason to. It was WAY underrated for years, 'til recently when it really reached the top for itself, it deserves every fan and viewer it can get. You won't regret giving it a chance after you've watched it all through, buddy. We're going to welcome you with open arms.

tumblr_nimhsbAtwv1qdi5kdo1_400.gif

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 5

Me and @sergetoxic reacting to the new episode, if anyone would be interested to watch it. We talk about a few things in the end of the video too.

There's PLENTY of reasons why you should watch Steven Universe. It's creative, there's nothing else like it, it breaks all of society's stereotypes, they have a special way of making their character's expressions and emotions real and pure. There's so much humanity in these characters, it's as if they were real existing beings and that's usually hard to capture in a children's program like this. They deal with issues no other show usually have the guts to deal with, like sorrow of a lost one, gay relationships, commitment, war, depression, the feeling of being worthless. This show deals with almost every problem and feeling you could go through in the real life, BUT in a realistic and creative way. The musical numbers are rare, special and brilliant, the characters are like nothing I've ever seen before, the animation is simply amazing and it's just an amazing show. The concept and plot of the show is also deeper and more interesting than anything I've ever watched before, and all these things are reasons for why this show goes before anything I watch. Before MLP, Gravity Falls, Over The Garden Wall, before anything. You should watch it! You have every reason to. It was WAY underrated for years, 'til recently when it really reached the top for itself, it deserves every fan and viewer it can get. You won't regret giving it a chance after you've watched it all through, buddy. We're going to welcome you with open arms.

tumblr_nimhsbAtwv1qdi5kdo1_400.gif

That's a pretty good pitch ;) It sounds like my kind of show so I'm going to watch some episodes tonight and see what I think :D A show that deals with all those topics well these days is quite rare and should be something I might like ;)

• Brohoof 2

I don't know much about this show, to be honest. I first saw it about a year or so ago with my cousin when we were watching television together. Our initial thought was that it was weird, so we skipped it.

I've been trying to watch a few episodes when I catch them surfing the channels now and then, a few of the episodes I distinctly recall are one involving the tall female character getting stabbed while distracted dueling, and another where the characters set up a fake dungeon for who I assume to be Steven to go through so he feels skilled or some such. 

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a character to get stabbed in a cartoon like this, even with an immediate "oh she's okay" response. It was quite startling.

Anyone care to give me a basic run through?

(edited)

That's a pretty good pitch ;) It sounds like my kind of show so I'm going to watch some episodes tonight and see what I think :D A show that deals with all those topics well these days is quite rare and should be something I might like ;)

I was hoping you'd think that!  :lol: If you like Gravity Falls, it sure might be! They're sort of on the same level but with a different plot and such. But on the same level of awesomeness if you ask me, the only thing is that I love SU even more. XD Both of them has really got the element of feelings and surprises too. 

It might be a little random to start off with, but that's because you haven't gotten to learn about the characters and plot quite yet, much like Gravity Falls, so that might be a bit of a "season to taste" before you get into it. I personally loved it from the beginning, it made me happy from the very start.

I don't know much about this show, to be honest. I first saw it about a year or so ago with my cousin when we were watching television together. Our initial thought was that it was weird, so we skipped it.

I've been trying to watch a few episodes when I catch them surfing the channels now and then, a few of the episodes I distinctly recall are one involving the tall female character getting stabbed while distracted dueling, and another where the characters set up a fake dungeon for who I assume to be Steven to go through so he feels skilled or some such. 

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a character to get stabbed in a cartoon like this, even with an immediate "oh she's okay" response. It was quite startling.

Anyone care to give me a basic run through?

Then I believe you've already had your little taste of what Steven Universe is for kind of show. It takes things and issues very seriously, yet lightly. That dungeon episode you saw was a follow-up of another episode where they "tested" Steven in a mission to save an abandoned building, which Steven didn't know they did... So he gets all upset that he failed their "test" for him and how he handled it, since the building got completely destructed after their mission and therefore he 'failed' that test. So they make this "dangerous dungeon" for him to go through, to test him again, but everything is set up for him to make it no matter how bad he'd mess up..

He notices this and gets upset at first, because he realizes they don't fully trust that he's strong enough to make it through danger and hard situations. BUT, then he accidentally hears how they talk about how worried and concerned they are for him, waiting at the end of the dungeon he's supposed to complete and that they only do all this because they care for his feelings, confidence and well being so much.

As the wonderful character Steven is, he understands that he can't be mad at them for caring so much about him and pretends like he didn't know of the safety set up in the dungeon, and that he succeeded with excitement just to make THEM happy for seeing him happy and proud again.

I love that episode to bits for many reasons and that Steven's character REALLY shows in that one too. I love Steven SO much.

If you want to know more about what I think of the show and what it includes, look a few posts above this one, where I explain what it's all about to me and also many other fans, to watch the show.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Oh gosh, you guys, I think Sworn to the Sword may actually be my fave ep so far ;___; (spoiler to be safe and because I may textwall :lol:)

The Stevonnie duet at the beginning was adorable. Jam buddies!! :wub:

Connie being nervous when Steven first says Pearl should teach her, but then being all passionate and "this is my home too, I want to be able to do something" when they're talking, awww~!! :wub:

Everything about Pearl teaching Connie was amazing, but especially Do It For Her Him - probably my favourite song of the series so far, just gorgeous and how they worked in the Pearl/Rose stuff was perfect. bb!Pearl looking terrified and fighting maybe-Jasper!! <3

when Pearl was telling Connie "you don't matter, only he does " :(:( I just have so many feelings about Pearl and the PearlRose relationship, we don't get to see it but it's obvious how much she loved her, would have done anything for her, even putting herself in danger - and she feels the same about Steven now (and not only because Steven is literally part of Rose), so she wants Connie to understand and believe that too, so she can protect him and do ~a knight's job the best she possibly can. But Steven won't let that happen, because Connie DOES matter, she matters so much to him just the way Pearl did to Rose, and he has to make them both realise it...

"WHY WON'T YOU LET ME DO THIS, ROSE" ...aaaaand I teared up, goddamnit, stop making me cry in less than ten minutes, show!! :P And "your mother made me feel like I was everything"...ow, my heart ;___;

I also love that the solution wasn't to stop Connie from fighting, but for her and Steven to learn how to fight together, as equals - it was really sweet and awesome and now we get adorkable Pearl teaching them BOTH about the history of sword fighting~!! XD <33

Also: "Garnet, master of comedy" :lol: - actually, I think the moment that made me laugh the most in SU so far was when Garnet talks to Connie's parents and says "they're bleeding...oh no, they are dead", so she might be right! :P

I don't have as much to say about S2E10, but it was cool and had some funny moments :3

Jenny being "Intimidating Teenage Girl" made me laugh, and Ronaldo's poor editing skills (comic sans and cheap effects!) remind me of so many YouTube videos, my own included XD)

can't wait for the next one~!!

post-29961-0-42099500-1434559645_thumb.jpg

Edited by Coco before Pommel
  • Brohoof 5

Ronaldo kinda annoys me, he was funny at first, but he's getting a bit repetitive.

He's obsessive, even unhealthily so. The repetition to the point of annoyance makes sense for him. I nonetheless totally get where you're coming from. Ronaldo's schtick would be exhausting if not for the surrounding cast and the fact he's right for all the wrong reasons.

I actually enjoyed his most recent episode because, as someone pointed out elsewhere, it was a genre parody -- and a clever one at that. Apart from Ronaldo, we also caught a glimpse of how Beach City views the Crystal Gems. They think of the Gems as sort of strange, but since they've been around for so long, everyone considers them the new normal.

As for "Sworn to the Sword"...

A lovely character episode. It showed how much Steven has matured from the beginning of the series without losing his innocence and ethusiasm. Now Connie's become a badass bookworm, too. Given how the show treats continuity, I suspect their brief Jam Buddies team-up will pay dividens down the road when the Homeworld Gems make more trouble in Earth's backyard.

That being said, I'm worried for Pearl. Her instability isn't a new thing -- see "Space Race" and "Rose's Scabbard" for more Bird Mom going momentarily bonkers and forgetting about the wellbeing of those around her -- but this all seems to be setting up for a major -- and painful -- character arc. A few fans on tumblr have mused over whether Pearl will lose her shit and turn evil, but I'm not convinced that's the likely outcome. More likely, I think, is Pearl performing some suicidal or self-destructive act because her sense of self-worth isn't as rock solid as initially indicated. This most recent episode reveals she's willing to take a bullet (or a giant sword) even when Rose/Steven could just as readily defend themselves.

Cute as it was to for Pearl to fawn over having both Steven and Connie as her pupils, there was no clear resolution to her behavior in the episode. She brushed off the incident and effectively changed the subject back over to training techniques. Two pre-teen kids, no matter how precocious, aren't equipped to console a millennia old alien with marked signs of post-traumatic stress. It's like the end of Age of Ultron when Steve Rogers tells an emotionally unavailable Tony Stark about how his life amounts to little else than being a soldier. A big red flag just went up, except nobody in the vicinity is prepared to handle it.

I sense darker days for Bird Mom on the horizon.

• Brohoof 4

As for "Sworn to the Sword"...

That being said, I'm worried for Pearl. Her instability isn't a new thing -- see "Space Race" and "Rose's Scabbard" for more Bird Mom going momentarily bonkers and forgetting about the wellbeing of those around her -- but this all seems to be setting up for a major -- and painful -- character arc. A few fans on tumblr have mused over whether Pearl will lose her shit and turn evil, but I'm not convinced that's the likely outcome. More likely, I think, is Pearl performing some suicidal or self-destructive act because her sense of self-worth isn't as rock solid as initially indicated. This most recent episode reveals she's willing to take a bullet (or a giant sword) even when Rose/Steven could just as readily defend themselves.

Cute as it was to for Pearl to fawn over having both Steven and Connie has her pupils, there was no clear resolution to her behavior in the episode. She brushed off the incident and effectively changed the subject back over to training techniques. Two pre-teen kids, no matter how precious, aren't equipped to console a millennia old alien with marked signs of post-traumatic stress. It's like the end of Age of Ultron when Steve Rogers tells an emotionally unavailable Tony Stark about how his life amounts to little else than being a soldier. A big red flag just went up, except nobody in the vicinity is prepared to handle it.

I sense darker days for Bird Mom on the horizon.

Ohhh, you have a good point there! :( After the latest ep, I wonder if...

because from the looks of things, for so long Pearl was so obsessively focused on Rose, on protecting her, making her happy, she seemed to be absolutely the most important thing in Pearl's life so I wonder if part of the problem is that her self-worth became so tied to Rose in that way, she doesn't quite know who she is now that Rose is gone? And she's still got this mentality that her primary purpose is to protect those she loves from harm, and if she can't do that, she's failed. It makes me so sad to think about, because Pearl IS so amazing and strong, after all she's been through, and she does so much and is loved and needed not for what she does, but who she is. I can't see her turning evil and I really hope the show doesn't go that route, but you could be right that they're setting up for something bad to happen. Peaaaaarl bb, I just want her to be okay :(:(

Anyway, latest eps~!

Keeping It Together:

Keeping It Together...damn, there was some serious nightmare fuel there D: Those disembodied hands and feet crawling around, and then when you just saw the forced-fused Gems screaming...:sunny: the whole concept is seriously disturbing, and this is meant to be a kid's show right? :P

But it was a great character ep for Garnet, and showing how she is very much her own person...um, Gem, despite being a fusion. When she told Steven that she'd always be there because of the love between Ruby and Sapphire, d'awww <3 It makes me so damn happy that there's a show for kids with a same-sex relationship treated in this way, and they're making it obvious rather than ambiguous like a lot of shows do, even ones for, adults. I really did think Garnet would...de-fuse? into Ruby and Sapphire at some point, but she held it together, which is what makes her so great after all ;) I feel like they're making her less ~mysterious and showing more vulnerability and her sense of humour, and it's awesome ^_^

ep12 I've forgotten the title of already

Steven and Connie continue to kill me with cuteness - that awkward moment when you accidentally fuse in front of your dad, we've all been there :P

Yet another awesome song (Rose's voice is just gorgeous) and OMC PearlRose fusion!! :wub: Rainbow Quartz, was it? So pretty~ And bb jealous Pearl is still adorable but kind of a dick in this ep - "you're just a phase", ouuuch, poor Greg! Amethyst literally watching with popcorn made me laugh, and Garnet giving Greg advice was sweet, it's nice that at least somegem was supportive of their relationship :)

The GregRose scenes were so bittersweet - how Rose laughing brought out Greg's insecurities that he was just a novelty/wasn't good enough for her and all the differences between them. It felt really realistic - as weird as it sounds - about how a human/alien relationship might actually go? But despite the obvious cultural differences they really loved each other and goddamnit now I'm sad all over again :( But yeah, another really great episode!

• Brohoof 5

On "We Need to Talk":

Son of a gun. Now those were some serious feels -- especially the ending of the flashback during which Greg and Rose are talking. It's the first in-depth glimpse we have at Rose beyond the legends and brief clips; moreover, we see a few of her flaws: cultured as she is relative to the rest of the Crystal Gems, she's nonetheless detached in her dealings with humans. ("This is so confusing!") She's likewise oblivious to Pearl's disdain for Greg. I hope this episode puts an end to the murmurs of Rose as a Mary Sue, because she clearly doesn't have a perfect grasp on everything happening around her. She's also actively hiding a large portion of her past, though I gather from "The Return" she eventually disclosed her origin story to Greg.

Speaking of Pearl from before -- Goddammit, Bird Mom! Remember when you were just OCD and a bit uptight? These past several episodes have not been so flattering for Pearl. Here's hoping Steven puts the pieces together and manages to run some sort of dramatic intervention at the critical moment.

I must return to the conversation between Rose and Greg. Neither of them can (or could) really get one another, yet they're trying to build a bridge. I initially took Rose's remark about confusion being their one commonality mostly as humorous. In rewatching the scene, though, better understand the significance of what she said. Rose and Greg's shared uncertainty was key to their relationship, pushing them beyond the superficial "Let's you and me have fun *wink-wink*" state they were stuck in for several months up to that point.

With the benefit of narrative hindsight, I wonder how much Rose's experience from this episode led her to bear Steven at the cost of her own existence.

• Brohoof 4

These past several episodes have not been so flattering for Pearl.

Good! :D I'm glad.  

These past few episodes just made me love this cute sad Bird Mom fifty times more. She's just... so real to me, so obviously flawed and so obviously trying hard. She feels so incredibly human that it's comforting and painful at the same time to see her onscreen, and it's all the better when you realize that Pearl really is growing, even if she's taking baby steps. I love her. <3

• Brohoof 3

So Rose can sing like a sultry jazz singer which means Steve also gets music love from sides of his parents!  Also is it me or could Rose and Pearl had been a couple at one time given how Pearl in the last ep of sword fight kept throwing herself into battle and how she was in the last ep of the past of Rose moving onto a human and not back to her?

• Brohoof 1

Good! :D I'm glad.  

These past few episodes just made me love this cute sad Bird Mom fifty times more. She's just... so real to me, so obviously flawed and so obviously trying hard. She feels so incredibly human that it's comforting and painful at the same time to see her onscreen, and it's all the better when you realize that Pearl really is growing, even if she's taking baby steps. I love her. <3

Pearl's development is wonderful in a painful sort of way -- like a trainwreck you can see coming from a mile out but remain powerless to stop. There's going to be a moment when the crap hits the proverbial fan, and for Bird Mom lovers like ourselves, it'll be nothing but endless feels.

• Brohoof 2

I realized what Crystal Gems are : 

The Gems are Alien A.I.s

Let that  sit in your mind for a while 

But didn't Ronaldo say sentient rock beings from the diamond authority are here to plunder Earth?

I'm going to go with Ronaldo on this one.

:P

• Brohoof 1

I can explain that:

All A.I.s are based off something and simply put they more they kill and harvest, they more they recrute. They use atoms and and other thing on said planet to colonize. Think it as creating A.I.s from the base code of all living things:atoms.

So Rose can sing like a sultry jazz singer which means Steve also gets music love from sides of his parents!  Also is it me or could Rose and Pearl had been a couple at one time given how Pearl in the last ep of sword fight kept throwing herself into battle and how she was in the last ep of the past of Rose moving onto a human and not back to her?

Definitely not just you!

It's pretty obvious to me that Pearl was in love with Rose and these last few eps have made that more apparent, with how she acted around Greg and "she made me feel like I was everything", etc. I guess you could at a push argue it to be chivalrous rather than romantic, but I feel like they've made it as explicit as they can.

I can't work out whether it was mutual though - I can see them having had a thing pre-Greg at least, but Rose also seemed oblivious to Pearl's jealousy so it could also just have been one-sided...Poor Bird Mom, she just can't catch a break :(

On a happier note, agreed about Rose's singing, it was lovely! I really like that you can see both of his parents in Steven - he also seems to have inherited Rose's expressions, like in @'s avatar :P (I might be wrong but it seems to be mostly Steven and Rose who make those starry eyes, though the other Gems have their share of great expressions too)

• Brohoof 1

Out of the 4 new episodes, my favorite is Keeping it Together. I like when the show gets darker.

There's a "?" for the next episode, hopefully a new character.

(edited)

Only just watched keeping it together and it does seem dark.

Though when Garnet says something along the lines of "They were forced to fuse. They didn't have a choice, this is wrong". I can't help but think that is a metaphor for something in real life.

Edited by Code
  • Brohoof 1