Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Steven Universe Fanclub

darkwingmare

Ok, so much like I did with MLP, I've been hearing about this show all over the internet about how good it is. And I will admit that at first glance, it didn't look like anything I'd be interested in, but the immense hype surrounding the show piqued my interest just the same as it had done for MLP, so I checked it out. I haven't watched all of the episodes yet. I think I'm on episode 35 right now, and well.... it's a very good show! I don't know if I'll obsess over it like I do with MLP, but I admire the fact that it's a coming of age story, and it's full of pro-feminist and gender messages, has butt-kicking females as the heroes, and all in all it's just very diverse, funny, clever, and endearing all rolled into one. Steven Universe himself has to be one of the best cartoon protagonists in years. The chubby little guy certainly has stolen my heart. :pinkie:

And the question everyone wants to know (or not), but my favorite Crystal Gem? Hmm, it's been a tough choice, but so far I lean pretty strongly towards Amethyst. Gotta love those rebellious wild child types. She's consistently funny, if a bit obnoxious at times, but I can relate to her in a lot of ways. Let's just say that I too know what it's like to have to deal with Pearl. :adorkable:

I look forward to catching up on the rest of the series, as I've heard it only gets better at the end of the first season. :3

• Brohoof 2

I just want to take a moment to think about the fact that Stephen has a loving and relevant father. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a surprisingly rare thing in a kids show these days. In other shows the dad may be a selfish jerk (lookin at you, Adventure Time), or is not even a real charcter in the story. Its refreshing that in Stephen Universe, Stephen's Dad cares about his son and tries to be the best father he can, even though he doesn't have much and doesn't always understand him. I think it is one small part that helps this show really stand out in a good way.

• Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...

I love this show! I just caught up with all the episodes by watching an absurd amount in the past week or so.

Comments on Nightmare Hospital:

It'll be interesting to see how the relationship between Connie and her mom plays out after her mom realized that her parenting style was too controlling.

• Brohoof 2

Thoughts on Nightmare Hospital

I'm really glad that connie's relationship with her mom is on the mend. Holding in a lot of secrets can really damage a relationship once they are inevitably found out, so I'm glad that the honesty came sooner rather than later. I sincerely hope that connie's parents will now be less of an obstacle/source of conflict for the story.

Also, this show can get borderline creepy, especially with all the gem mutants.

Also, Nostaliga Critic (a.k.a. Doug) has started to do vlogs with is brother on youtube where they talk about each episode after they watch it. They are still in season one, and the reception is mostly positive. I hope they make it to season 2 when it ALL GETS REAL.

• Brohoof 2

Thoughts on the last two eps!

Nightmare Hospital:

Stevonnie continue to be the absolute cutest - the holding hands and "my Connie"!!!  :wub:  it was awesome to see them fighting together too and this was a great ep for Connie in general, it's good to see her finally stand up to her parents being controlling. But I also liked that they made her mum sympathetic too - she might be controlling but she clearly loves Connie, and let's face it, who WOULDN'T be freaked out by their daughter running around with a massive sword/riding on a magical lion/being exposed to all kinds of gem-related danger in general? So it was really sweet at the end when she was like "I'll try to be okay with this", cause that's a hell of a lot to take in at once...

Dem gem clusters though *shudder* nightmare fuel material for sure (and was it me or did one of them have like...a butt-face??). I wonder just how sentient they are - do they have any idea where they are/what they're trying to do, are they trying to communicate something or just, idk, smashing cause they're angry/scared? Hopefully we find out more, it seems to be an ongoing plot thread~

But that bit at the end when Connie says "I love you, mom" and Steven just kinda looks down at Rose's sword ;___; why must you hurt me in this way, show?

Song for Sadie:

That was a cute little ep ^^ not a huge standout, but still. It's nice to have more Sadie - she's one of my favourite humans, and Steven walking in on her singing reminded me of Fluttershy in Filli Vanilli X3

Does every kid in Beach City have pushy parents or what? clear.png I thought Sadie's mum was done pretty well, though - in a different way to Connie's, you could see she meant well and was just SUPER ENTHUSIASTIC about everything because she thought it was what Sadie wanted. Same with Steven, it was pretty much your typical extrovert/introvert difference: "she likes singing, so she should totally do it on stage in front of lots of people!!"

"Because of my act 2 years ago, there's a rule that says you have to wear clothes" XD oh Steven. And damn, he was working that dress~ I just wish we could have seen the Gems and/or Greg's reactions! (where were they, anyway?? The Gems I can understand might be off doing gem stuff, but you would have expected Greg to at least make an appearance, since music is like, his thing...) The ending did feel a teeny bit rushed, but I guess there's only so much you can pack into 10 minutes, and I did like how they showed Sadie and her mum talking, and how it ended with her and Steven jamming :3

Hope the next episode has more Gems though (aside from Steven obviously)! the humans are great and all, but I need my gay space rocks fix ;)

• Brohoof 3

I would like to share something:

Quite some time ago, May 19th to be exact, I made a Steven Universe channel on Equestria.tv.

Ever since then, We've got very far, by which I mean me, @Apple Bloom, and @ooBrony. We got some unique colors, a good majority of the episodes, some of the music, in show and fan made, two emojis, and a dancing whale!

However, we are still very far from completion. We need the remaining episodes, more eyes looking out for SU music on YouTube and Soundcloud and wherever else, An eye in the sky for pictures to become emojis, and what I am most interested in getting... a banner and/or logo for the channel and/or thread.

If you think you can/are willing to help, please stop by the thread: https://mlpforums.com/topic/129035-the-steven-universe-channel-the-universe-tooniverse/

Edited by DJShy3
  • Brohoof 1

Sooooo...how about that

TINY BB PERIDOT?? :o  I totally wasn't expecting that - she has actual arms and legs! TBH I wasn't that huge of a Peridot fan before - I mean, I liked her okay as a villain, but she wasn't one of my faves - but last ep she was just too adorable  :wub:   especially when she was fighting Steven for calling her cute (which as we all know, denial of being cute multiplies cuteness by 1000x ;) )! And trying to escape via the toilet!! So many classic moments - "is that a weapon?" is totally going to become a meme, if it isn't already clear.png:P

I admit I have sorta mixed feelings about an actual Peri redemption arc...on the one hand it does seem kinda rushed, although they have been making her more of a comical villain rather than a serious threat in her last few appearances - but she has still done legit Bad Stuff (was it her that force-fused the gem clusters together?) and seems pretty dedicated to her cause, so I hope it won't just be glossed over and "yay she's good now!" ...But on the other hand, we don't really know anything about her motives yet, which hopefully we'll find out more about in future eps (hopefully tying into when we see Yellow Diamond!!), so it will be very interesting to see how this develops~  I do have faith in the writers to do it right, and I think Peridot could become a much more interesting, complex character in the upcoming eps - I'm hoping it'll be like Discord in MLP, who I loved as a villain but became way more interesting to me when we got to see him actually learning to care about friendship, trying to be good but still flawed and messing up... I'd love to see a similar arc for Peridot, but if we can't get that, I'll settle for her just being adorable   :please:

Steven giving her foot back was pretty cute too (and then there's Amethyst ~accidentally~ dropping the rest of her stuff :lol: ) :3 it reminds me of how he was with Lapis in the beginning - he's so forgiving, maybe a little bit too much after all the trouble Peridot's caused them (plus y'know, attempted kidnapping), but again, so cute when she was grudgingly like "...I appreciate it" c:

Next ep can't come soon enough~ :D

• Brohoof 3

Sooooo...how about that

TINY BB PERIDOT?? :o  I totally wasn't expecting that - she has actual arms and legs! TBH I wasn't that huge of a Peridot fan before - I mean, I liked her okay as a villain, but she wasn't one of my faves - but last ep she was just too adorable  :wub:   especially when she was fighting Steven for calling her cute (which as we all know, denial of being cute multiplies cuteness by 1000x ;) )! And trying to escape via the toilet!! So many classic moments - "is that a weapon?" is totally going to become a meme, if it isn't already sig-4118311.clear.png:P

I admit I have sorta mixed feelings about an actual Peri redemption arc...on the one hand it does seem kinda rushed, although they have been making her more of a comical villain rather than a serious threat in her last few appearances - but she has still done legit Bad Stuff (was it her that force-fused the gem clusters together?) and seems pretty dedicated to her cause, so I hope it won't just be glossed over and "yay she's good now!" ...But on the other hand, we don't really know anything about her motives yet, which hopefully we'll find out more about in future eps (hopefully tying into when we see Yellow Diamond!!), so it will be very interesting to see how this develops~  I do have faith in the writers to do it right, and I think Peridot could become a much more interesting, complex character in the upcoming eps - I'm hoping it'll be like Discord in MLP, who I loved as a villain but became way more interesting to me when we got to see him actually learning to care about friendship, trying to be good but still flawed and messing up... I'd love to see a similar arc for Peridot, but if we can't get that, I'll settle for her just being adorable   :please:

Steven giving her foot back was pretty cute too (and then there's Amethyst ~accidentally~ dropping the rest of her stuff :lol: ) :3 it reminds me of how he was with Lapis in the beginning - he's so forgiving, maybe a little bit too much after all the trouble Peridot's caused them (plus y'know, attempted kidnapping), but again, so cute when she was grudgingly like "...I appreciate it" c:

Next ep can't come soon enough~ :D

1. I 100% agree with that. That needs to be a meme. right now.

2. Fun Fact: We get to see Yellow Diamond in the extended theme song from comic con, which you can find in good quality on YouTube.

• Brohoof 1

Peridot sure is adorable... I love this show. Certain moments feel like they're straight out of an anime and make me nostalgic, they give me wonderful flashbacks of those days anime came into my life. Plus, the characters are expressive, have a wide range of emotions and deep to them and are relatable.

Edited by Dino-Mario
  • Brohoof 1

Just watched the new episode and it's amazing for starters but it explains a little more about what homeworld is like.

So apparently Pearls are servants in homeworld and there is hundreds of them. Though the main thing that makes me think is how peridot makes it seem that different gems have different roles. Almost like gems are born to do a certain job depending on what gem they are. I got prove of theory also has peridot says "I'm a nature technician" and "I was made for this". She was made to do her job... She is born as a technician.

Peridot also says to pearl "You were made to take orders, not to give them". 

There could be a possibility just like pearl that their is multiple peridots and they are technicians for homeworld.

Though it makes me wonder that if my theory is true what are the other roles of the gems. It could even be that diamonds are leaders of homeworld meaning there might be multiple yellow diamonds 

• Brohoof 4

Back to the Barn was a well crafted episode. Review/thoughts below:

This episode accomplished many things simultaneously. It continued the overarching plot with a relatively self-contained story arc. Peridot continues to straddle the line between antagonist and redeemable character. Though it is clear that the only thing bringing them together is an alliance of convenience, Steven continues to work his (and by extension his mother's) magic of changing hearts. We learn that on homeworld, pearl is not at all special, but is really a slave (or possibly something worse), designed to "take orders" and "look pretty". Elements of sexism, racism, and classism are tackled in the unique way that only Steven Universe can. Though we are rooting for pearl to beat peridot in the final fight to prove that she is not inferior, pearl loses. This is huge. Pearl is not naturally a strong fighting gem, whereas peridot, when given the right tools, is a formidible fighter. In this way, the status quo is unchanged. Even if pearl had won the fight, peridot would not have acknowledged her as an equal (she said so). Its only when peridot sees the support pearl gets from the gems and hears stevens big speech that her attitude changes.

One final note: the episode could have easily ended after Garnet's line "welcome to Earth", but it didn't. It took the time to form a small epilogue, where peridot halfway-apologizes to pearl and the two begin to work together on more equal terms. Not only is it a nice touch, but I think it is a sign that peridot will eventually become a fully redeemed character. I look forward to the coming episodes as the season progresses!

• Brohoof 4

I'm seriously obsessed with Peridot, how could you not like this cute angry slice of pie? I'm loving these episodes lately, Rebecca Sugar and the Crew sure know how to make a great show.

Also a bonus:

3cAE7S3.png

• Brohoof 3

Since I've seen all the episodes (except the non-canon one) in a week-long binge, I'm going to consider myself a Steven Universe fan. The writing in the series is amazing. The foreshadowing is on par with Avatar: The Last Airbender. After watching a few episodes, I've said out loud "how did I not see that coming?" When I first started watching Steven Universe, I thought it would be just another cartoon. Oh, boy, was I wrong.

Also, here's my thoughts on Rose (possible spoilers for future episodes):

I don't completely trust her. I like what I've seen of her, but I just can't trust her. There's something I don't like about her and I can't quite put my finger on it. I've noticed that in a lot of her appearances, her eyes have been covered, which very often means a character isn't to be completely trusted. For example, there's the painting of her in the Temple. Her eyes are closed and they've been covered up by the wood support several times. That's not something they'd just throw in. There's a budget on animation.

• Brohoof 2

Since I've seen all the episodes (except the non-canon one) in a week-long binge, I'm going to consider myself a Steven Universe fan. The writing in the series is amazing. The foreshadowing is on par with Avatar: The Last Airbender. After watching a few episodes, I've said out loud "how did I not see that coming?" When I first started watching Steven Universe, I thought it would be just another cartoon. Oh, boy, was I wrong.

Also, here's my thoughts on Rose (possible spoilers for future episodes):

I don't completely trust her. I like what I've seen of her, but I just can't trust her. There's something I don't like about her and I can't quite put my finger on it. I've noticed that in a lot of her appearances, her eyes have been covered, which very often means a character isn't to be completely trusted. For example, there's the painting of her in the Temple. Her eyes are closed and they've been covered up by the wood support several times. That's not something they'd just throw in. There's a budget on animation.

Have you seen the extended opening? If not, here it is below. This relates to what you said about Rose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOAwHG95mlk

Notice Steven's line when they're all listing off what they're fighting for

Steven: And I will fight to be everything everybody wants me to be when I'm grown!

And notice the backdrop right as he says that line

RK3nuIp.png

I'd go so far as to say Rose here looks every bit as sinister as Yellow Diamond and the other villains.

• Brohoof 3

This episode accomplished many things simultaneously. It continued the overarching plot with a relatively self-contained story arc. Peridot continues to straddle the line between antagonist and redeemable character. Though it is clear that the only thing bringing them together is an alliance of convenience, Steven continues to work his (and by extension his mother's) magic of changing hearts. We learn that on homeworld, pearl is not at all special, but is really a slave (or possibly something worse), designed to "take orders" and "look pretty". Elements of sexism, racism, and classism are tackled in the unique way that only Steven Universe can. Though we are rooting for pearl to beat peridot in the final fight to prove that she is not inferior, pearl loses. This is huge. Pearl is not naturally a strong fighting gem, whereas peridot, when given the right tools, is a formidible fighter. In this way, the status quo is unchanged. Even if pearl had won the fight, peridot would not have acknowledged her as an equal (she said so). Its only when peridot sees the support pearl gets from the gems and hears stevens big speech that her attitude changes.

One final note: the episode could have easily ended after Garnet's line "welcome to Earth", but it didn't. It took the time to form a small epilogue, where peridot halfway-apologizes to pearl and the two begin to work together on more equal terms. Not only is it a nice touch, but I think it is a sign that peridot will eventually become a fully redeemed character. I look forward to the coming episodes as the season progresses!

Nothing to add to that, I think you hit the nail square on the head... so make me a giant robot! You have the skillz! ;)

Am I the only one who is worried about exactly where / upon what those two thrown cars landed? 

• Brohoof 1

I agree. Even though I sort of wanted Pearl to smack the snot out of Peridot, it was more important for Dot's bad attitude to get destroyed than her robot :please:. Glad to see progression on her part and on Pearl's.

• Brohoof 1

But don't forget... She's just a pearl ;)

A Pearl whose knee is as tall as Peridot, yes ;)

TALK @#$% GET HIT

tumblr_inline_nvx9r3UWpe1ta3123_500.gif

------

But yeah, commendable maturity on Pearl's part. She seemed to forgive Peridot remarkably quickly, probably understanding that homeworld's toxic attitudes take time to grow out of. Nice to see her deciding to be the bigger gem, in a manner of speaking :)

*rimshot*

• Brohoof 6

I feel like the gems culture architecture and fashion is modeled after ancient Egypt. A high tech Egypt that is. Yellow Diamond and Peridot seem to have that big Egyptian headdress, some of their spaceships look like pyramids, the gem ruins that the Crystal Gems go to seem to have hieroglyphics like art. They seem to have some kind of servant/slave caste as well which Pearl could be a part of similar to Egypt hierarchy. Lapis Lazuli has Moses' power to take control over the sea... stuff like that.

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1