Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Steven Universe Fanclub

darkwingmare

I wonder if the show would ever show a gay couple. I think lesbian couples can easily pass it out as sisterly love but when two guys get a moment you can expect there to be serious backlash.

I have no problems with homosexuality.... but putting a obviously gay couple, for the sake of having a gay couple is pretty shallow.... kind of like how companies hire minorities over white people just to meet a level of diversity to get a tax break.

If they do have a male x male couple on the show, they need to make sure that there's a story driven reason for that relationship (or any relationship for that matter) to exist.

Clearly you dont know Garnet..

:P

Ruby and Sapphire aren't a gay couple.

Homosexuality is a sexual preference. Gems are asexual beings..... they don't have a sex, they don't do sexual reproduction.

Ruby and Sapphire, are 2 asexual beings in a nonsexual, romantic relationship

Clearly you dont know Garnet..

I personally didnt like The Last one out of Beach City. First, i have no problem with Lesbians and what not, what i do have an issue with is forcing it on others. Meaning: Be like Garnet, "it is what it is.", i dont need anyone pushing their sexuality in my face.

But if anything were to happen, i'd like to see Steven and Paridot get together :P

Speaking of heterosexual couples I wonder if Amethyst and Greg were ever an item. Since Amethyst is a lot more attuned into earth's culture likely adopting a more heteronormative view, she also did mention a bit of innuendo regarding Greg and also said he was hot when he was younger. I think the show is about lesbianism and how the Homeworld Gems are against that is like a message similar to our world, don't think that is unavoidable as that is what Rebecca Sugar is putting into the show. 

I have no problems with homosexuality.... but putting a obviously gay couple, for the sake of having a gay couple is pretty shallow.... kind of like how companies hire minorities over white people just to meet a level of diversity to get a tax break.

If they do have a male x male couple on the show, they need to make sure that there's a story driven reason for that relationship (or any relationship for that matter) to exist.

Ruby and Sapphire aren't a gay couple.

Homosexuality is a sexual preference. Gems are asexual beings..... they don't have a sex, they don't do sexual reproduction.

Ruby and Sapphire, are 2 asexual beings in a nonsexual, romantic relationship

Since the viewers and the writers are likely to be hetero or homosexual and live in a society that places different values on hetero and homosexuality, it wouldn't make any sense that the writer would not create some kind of connection with the real world and their cartoon. Even if a writer wrote about an entire civilization made up of asexual robots, they would still try to inject some kind of relativity with it to our culture. Saying that they're space rocks sounds like a cop out if you asked me.

Edited by cider float

I have no problems with homosexuality.... but putting a obviously gay couple, for the sake of having a gay couple is pretty shallow.... kind of like how companies hire minorities over white people just to meet a level of diversity to get a tax break.

I find the argument of not including gay couples in a show because it "forces it on people" is weak and belies an underlying dislike for the orientation.

A couple is a couple. Nobody uses that line when a straight couple is introduced, but every time its even hinted to having a gay relationship suddenly its "forced upon people"

People have straight couples all the time in media yet I as a gay man never say they are forcing it on me.

And the gems are definitely analogous with women, you cannot refute that. Saying it doesn't represent a lesbien relationship is trying VERY hard to avoid lgbt themes for the sake of avoiding lgbt themes.

Speaking of heterosexual couples I wonder if Amethyst and Greg were ever an item. Since Amethyst is a lot more attuned into earth's culture likely adopting a more heteronormative view, she also did mention a bit of innuendo regarding Greg and also said he was hot when he was younger. I think the show is about lesbianism and how the Homeworld Gems are against that is like a message similar to our world, don't think that is unavoidable as that is what Rebecca Sugar is putting into the show. 

Since the viewers and the writers are likely to be hetero or homosexual and live in a society that places different values on hetero and homosexuality, it wouldn't make any sense that the writer would not create some kind of connection with the real world and their cartoon. Even if a writer wrote about an entire civilization made up of asexual robots, they would still try to inject some kind of relativity with it to our culture. Saying that they're space rocks sounds like a cop out if you asked me.

That's why they are portrayed with feminine qualities  and vaguely female looks..... So that they are more relatable.... But yeah you hit  the nail on the head.... The  gems are sentient space rocks.

I find the argument of not including gay couples in a show because it "forces it on people" is weak and belies an underlying dislike for the orientation.

A couple is a couple. Nobody uses that line when a straight couple is introduced, but every time its even hinted to having a gay relationship suddenly its "forced upon people"

People have straight couples all the time in media yet I as a gay man never say they are forcing it on me.

And the gems are definitely analogous with women, you cannot refute that. Saying it doesn't represent a lesbien relationship is trying VERY hard to avoid lgbt themes for the sake of avoiding lgbt themes.

I never said it "forces it on people".... I said "It's shallow"   if your gonna put words in my mouth, use the correct ones.

A couple brought in for the sake of having a couple is still shallow... regardless of the orientation.

Analogous to  =/= is...... I'm not "avoiding" lgbt" themes. I'm simply pointing  out facts.

If you want to continue to try and paint me a bigot, go ahead. But your reasoning is flawed, and emotionally charged at best, and at worst its a collection of deliberately loaded statements to protect your narrow world view.

That's why they are portrayed with feminine qualities and vaguely female looks..... So that they are more relatable.... But yeah you hit the nail on the head.... The gems are sentient space rocks.

I never said it "forces it on people".... I said "It's shallow" if your gonna put words in my mouth, use the correct ones.

A couple brought in for the sake of having a couple is still shallow... regardless of the orientation.

Analogous to =/= is...... I'm not "avoiding" lgbt" themes. I'm simply pointing out facts.

If you want to continue to try and paint me a bigot, go ahead. But your reasoning is flawed, and emotionally charged at best, and at worst its a collection of deliberately loaded statements to protect your narrow world view.

Don't think I'm one of the tumblr hivemind dear, just cause I'm gay doesn't make me an sjw.

Even with the shallow piece it doesn't hold water. Save for flash Sentry I've never heard that argument against a straight couple, just gay ones. If you feel the same way about straight couples for the sake of straight couples then that would clarify things.

Don't think I'm one of the tumblr hivemind dear, just cause I'm gay doesn't make me an sjw.

Even with the shallow piece it doesn't hold water. Save for flash Sentry I've never heard that argument against a straight couple, just gay ones. If you feel the same way about straight couples for the sake of straight couples then that would clarify things.

never said you were an "sjw" either..... again use the correct words..... its not nice to shove words down peoples throats.

And yes, I do feel the same way about straight couples..... I'm sorry that not everyone feels that way, but hey, that's just life.

And yes, I do feel the same way about straight couples..... I'm sorry that not everyone feels that way, but hey, that's just life.

Then I definitely don't think you're a bigot. You just don't like unnecessary romance, and that is perfectly fine and reasonable.

Even if they are Alien Space Rocks though, they are the closet thing we've had to real genuine lgbt romance in western cartoons. There is something special about that. What is even better is its not played up or shown as anything other than it is; two individuals deeply caring about and loving one another. I do enjoy having lgbt things actually represented in media in a respectful way, so much of it is done so tactlessly if its even done at all, and the thought of it being in a kid show gets religious people in all kinds of a tizzy. Steven Universe is really busting through barriers in this way.  

Edited by Buck Testa

Then I definitely don't think you're a bigot. You just don't like unnecessary romance, and that is perfectly fine and reasonable.

Even if they are Alien Space Rocks though, they are the closet thing we've had to real genuine lgbt romance in western cartoons. There is something special about that. What is even better is its not played up or shown as anything other than it is; two individuals deeply caring about and loving one another. I do enjoy having lgbt things actually represented in media in a respectful way, so much of it is done so tactlessly if its even done at all, and the thought of it being in a kid show gets religious people in all kinds of a tizzy. Steven Universe is really busting through barriers in this way.  

Ruby and Sapphire will pave the way for acceptance of homosexual characters in children's media.... Which is a good thing, because it means kids  can be introduced to these topics in a non-forcing, non-aggressive way, unlike how religion is forced onto kids.

That, and they really are a sweet duo.... one of  the very few portrayals of true love that gets it right.

Everyone manage to catch the new SU shorts? Steven is so pure and precious with his little song, but Gem Karaoke is my favourite. <3

Only watched the first 3, but... just... Steven Reacts... I'm So Meta Even This Acronym... crap, I just spilled red wine all over my desk... BRB...

O....kay.... not harm done. I cleaned up the wine. Nothing exploded. All in a day's meepmorp...

• Brohoof 1

Okay I found this easter egg in this other show that referenced Steven Universe.

She turns her teacher into Steven. :o

She turned her into a troll. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the resemblance.

Once again slightly late but golly gosh!! The new shorts were so cute!! 

Also, a new preview (released officially by Cartoon Network!) for Gem Harvest, just in case any of you have missed it!

• Brohoof 1

She turned her into a troll. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see the resemblance.

Check her belly there's a pink gem on it just like Steven has one.

I see it, but I don't know if she's supposed to be Steven since she looks nothing like him otherwise.

It's clearly a reference to St. Uni., but a sometimes a reference is just a reference.

Ahh SU  is my fav still and the pumpkin dog thing is just super cure.  But now can i crave up my pumpkin and not feel guilty..... :adorkable:

I am glad that Gem Harvest is airing in November.

It's nice to know that I don't have to wait too much longer for some more Steven Universe.

It is also cool that like Bismuth it is going to be a 22 minute special episode.

I wonder if we could get more of these types of episodes.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

Hmmm... take the title "Gem Harvest",

along with Peridot's "you're going to HARVEST me?!" line from Catch and Release

and this gets a whole heck of a lot more sinister...

• Brohoof 1

Suddenly I realize Lapis Lazuli is a lot like that character from Frozen. They both have some kind of power to control water/ice and they both want to be left alone. They're both also insanely powerful. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't posted in this thread for a long time, but,

Happy 3rd Anniversary of Steven Universe, everyone!  :pinkie:

tumblr_n1yz3389Ny1so31xzo1_500.gif

It's been three long years since the first episode, and this show has come a long way since then!  :yay:

tumblr_og4wsjA3Uu1v70jdzo1_500.png

Image is from: https://gracekraft.tumblr.com/post/152738858799/happy-3rd-anniversary-steven-universe-heres-to

Edited by iNachos10
  • Brohoof 5