Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is your favorite person of history?

Aeros Sine

Who is your favorite and why? List in your post your favorite person of history and why you picked them. Did they inspire you or something else? I'll start.

emilie_du_chatelet_portretizata_de_latou

Emilie du Chatelet--mathematician and philosopher

She inspired me to further myself in philosophy and venture into more principles not to mention her sight in mathematics. 

• Brohoof 6

Mine would be the Iron Chancellor, Otto von Bismarck because he united Germany into a powerful empire. He was a clever diplomat and politician. 

img-3677863-1-81674-004-1F328DE1.jpg

Otherwise it would be Frederik the Great of Prussia. His military successes against Austria, France, Russia and pretty much Sweden all at the same time were astonishing. 

img-3677863-2-Frederick-the-Great_by_Dud

Edited by JonasDarkmane
  • Brohoof 8

duh.

leonardo-da-vinci.jpg

Engineer,Philosopher,Architect,Sculptor, and of course,Artist.

Basically, the ultimate badass.

One really has to ask themselves how anyone could´ve been so universely talented.

• Brohoof 5

General George S. Patton.

He was the man who made the American Military what it is.

Patton wasn't scared to be a leader, he didn't care what the politicians thought of him, as he was there to fight a war and win the war. Patton's ideas were not popular with Army doctrine at the time, as in the 1940's US Armored Doctrine held that armored companies were to be in support of the infantry, and were not to go toe to toe with enemy armor, which is why we had the various tank destroyers of the era. Though due to Patton's doctrine, the M18 Hellcat was the most successful Tank Destroyer ever employed, as his hit hard hit fast tactic actually worked with the Hellcat's. The Hellcat's speed accounted for great success during Patton's counter attack in the battle of the bulge, when Team Desobry was ordered to support the 506th PIR at Noville, and they actually used the shoot and scoot ability of it to effectively destroy the approaching German armor. 

Patton was a damn warfighter, and a very respectable man.

• Brohoof 5

I'm not too familiar with American history but I always have a good respect to Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president of the United States, who had led America through the Civil War, and Thomas Edison, one of the greatest inventor in the history of the world, who had first introduced the invention of light-bulb to humankind.

Fun Fact: They were both Aquarius, just like me. 

• Brohoof 2

Well being a scientist I'd go with Albert Einstein. :maud:

albert-einstein-intriging-questions-01.j

There are maybe some artists I prefer but I can't think of any. :huh:

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 6

Jean-Michel Basquiat

tumblr_m3nnixKENv1r1bfd7o1_540.jpg

A street artist from the 80's who went from hand-painting t-shirts in a park while living inside of a box to becoming a millionaire who owned houses all across America. Although he frequently took drugs, this was only because of the constant bashing the media and art critics gave him for his naive-looking art style. It was very expressionist and surreal using symbolism to convey messages in place of realism.

1032220472_large-image_basquiat_riding_w

Untitled_acrylic_and_mixed_media_on_canv

• Brohoof 4

Martin Luther King Jr.

index.jpg

A man that could not be held back.

My favorite person in history is John F. Kennedy. 

• He pretty much stopped World War III from occurring when he stopped Soviet missiles from entering Cuba.
  • He also got the space program going.
  • He was also a strong believer and supporter of racial equality. 
  • Brohoof 7

exDVZ0T.jpg

(That's what Churchill has to say about your image extension rules)

Sir Winston Churchill, hands down. He was in my opinion, one of the greatest (if not, the greatest) soldier of liberty that the world has known, motivating the full force of the British Empire against the fascists and simultaneously defending the free market from the Bolsheviks. He authored numerous history books, served in WW1, and was named by a BBC poll as the greatest prime minister in history. Indeed, he is often referred to by his nickname, "the greatest Briton."

He has personally inspired me for the same reasons that he managed to inspire so many people during Britain's "Finest Hour." Churchill exemplified the sort of charismatic individual that shoots for whatever opportunities appear, and was among the most recognizable authors of the "never give up" philosophy.

He was not only a British patriot, but an American too. He was born to an American mother and was the first honorary citizen of the US.

The guy was also rolling in cash. That definitely helps.

Edited by RadioSilence
  • Brohoof 5

As a former student of history, I have a couple.

Miyamoto Musashi:

Musashi_ts_pic.jpg

Greatest swordsman to have ever lived and the creator of the central tenet by which I take my username and general outlook.

"The pen and sword, in equal accord."

Benjamin Franklin:

Ben_Franklin_510.jpg

Philly represent!

Mr. Franklin was the very image of the new American, a self made man, businessman, scientist, and statesman. His words inspire me to this day.

"Those who value security over liberty deserve neither."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Glad to see so many diverse personages here. Glad to know I'm not the only one who even knows who Bismark and Fredrick the Great is.  :P

• Brohoof 7

Glad to know I'm not the only one who even knows who Bismark and Fredrick the Great is
Dawww  :wub:. History is my favorite hobby (I aim to become a historian  ^_^). 

Other favorite people of  history are:

Gustavus Adolphus, king of Sweden. Also known as the "Lion of the North". Fought in many wars, was one of the last leaders/kings to fight in a battle before they started to stay way behind the lines. He died at the battle of Lutzen (I can't do the German "u") 1632 when he fought for the Protestants (he was pretty much their champion) in the Thirty Years War. He changed battle tactics, many other leaders taking up his tactics when he died. 

220px-Attributed_to_Jacob_Hoefnagel_-_Gu

• Brohoof 4

post-31621-0-50268200-1429381939_thumb.jpg

Removing barbarian and republican filth like there's no tomorrow.

Need to besiege a nearly impregnable city in your current situation? Fuck it, let's build a 18 kilometer wall around it.

Oh, some soldiers escaped and warned another entire army of your atack, therefore they are coming to help their allies? Fuck that too, let's build another wall around the last one.

About to lose? Then I'll charge with some equites against the numerous enemy reserves. That should teach 'em.

500 meters of water separating you from some good time removing germanic insurgents? Easy, let's build a damn bridge in one or two weeks.

We are about to get hopelessly obliterated? Don't worry, we'll manage to safely retreat somehow.

You just don't mess with this lustful, sharp, and quite bald genius without a full senate armed with knives to back you up.

Edited by Shadow Beam
  • Brohoof 1

Mine has always been Pocahontas (yes its weird) but it gives me inspiration in so many ways. The way she got out of what she believed in and the way she left her home to prove that she could be civilized was just awesome.

Btw yes there are movies about her story that have been altered a lot (*cough* disney *cough*) but her real life story is truly what got me to see her as one of my favorites.

• Brohoof 3

Dawww  . History is my favorite hobby (I aim to become a historian  ).

That was once my goal before I decided to become a writer.

I look to many historical figures as great and admirable (or at the very least noteworthy) but tend to separate them into categories. For instance I don't group Hannibal along with Marcus Aurelius because Marcus I look more to for his philosophy rather than the sweeping, strategic, country razing, campaigns of the former.

Just for kicks though:

Hasekura Tsunenaga

Hasekura_in_Rome.JPG

By himself, not that notable a man, but it's the journey that makes the legend. Hasekura was the Japan's envoy to Europe, traveling across the Pacific, through the Spanish colonies of modern Mexico, and then traversing the Atlantic across all of Christendom to the heart of Rome.

A man carrying his culture on his sleeve in a world both weary and welcoming from moment to moment. Forget Marco Polo THIS GUY should get a dramatic representation of his life!

Btw yes there are movies about her story that have been altered a lot (*cough* disney *cough*) but her real life story is truly what got me to see her as one of my favorites.

Hey, I wouldn't have read Oliver Twist, The Little Mermaid, or The Hunchback of Notre Dame if it weren't for the Disney versions; and Hercules inspired my passion for the actual myths.

Sure, Disney changes things, but they also raise awareness on the original stories that some might not have otherwise known about.

*Is a rabid, sword and shield with Mickey's face on it, defender of Disney*  :P

• Brohoof 2

Tsar Peter the Great of Russia, a progressive leader, that led a medieval, landlocked nation into a superpower, of enlightenment and created the Russian Navy, making Russia into a maritime nation, after centuries of isolation, Russia was a major power in Europe and Asia. Peter also brought rococo art to Russia, replacing the bland, wooden appearance of many structures, his palace in Saint Petersburg, the Peterhoff, is a example of the new age in architecture, and I have been to the Peterhoff before, and it is simply extravagant. Peter the Great, also gave us the beginning of the Romanov jewels, I have seen the jewels before, in Russia and when they came to the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the jewels are amazing, so opulent and gleaming, Peter had a great appreciation for the arts, but he is also a great military leader. The Great Northern War with the Swedish Empire, was the moment Russia ascended into a superpower, its new navy defeated the sophisticated Swedish Navy, and won control over most of the Baltic Sea, and the Russian Army revamped its strength and harassed the invading Caroleans, all the way to Poltava, Peter won a decisive victory and is one of history's most important battles. Peter the Great still has strong influence on Russia, there is even a class of guided missile cruisers that bears his name, so his legacy lives on, he was more than the father of the Russian Empire, he was the founder of Russia as a modern country, that could have struggled on into obscurity, but the intellect and imagination of Peter is shared by many Russians.
post-19222-0-48002100-1429385979_thumb.jpg

Edited by King Edouard
  • Brohoof 4