Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would you do if schools got rid of summer vacation?

Metallic Strings

i know that all kids in schools around the world would go on strike.

What would really happen in my opinion would be that the pyrotechnic and recreation industries would drop in money. Also, lots of kids would be depressed and suicides would probably increase.

In all honesty, I think it may be the better route to go. I think people who are already used to the system would have issues, but going into it fresh? I think people would actually be a good bit more successful with life.

Think about it this way: you're basically just distributing summer vacation throughout the year. I doubt the education system would change the standards for how much a person is to learn in a year, but with the added time they could potentially afford to let students work at a slower pace if they need it. How often have we been set back by summer, or forgotten subject material because we didn't need to use it for a few full months? What if people could relax more every month, but never lost their productivity?

To my knowledge, summer vacation was held over from a time when children helped with the farm work or something, and so the kids of old never really stopped working, or felt entitled to a ton of free time and little expectations--people nowadays kinda let their minds 'reset', and place little to no value on keeping what they learned fresh or solid. So, going back into things... they're behind where they could have been. Even if we slowed down with classes to compensate, we would likely make more progress overall, because we don't need to backtrack to make up for what was forgotten over the summer.

But I dunno. I'm one of those people that is thankful we have school, so...

Edited by SFyr
  • Brohoof 1

I would rejoice. Summer vacation is the bane of the police officer. All the juveniles on break, with nothing to pre-occupy their time with, means a lot of extra hours for us. 16 year olds in particular have their own style of being douchebags when it comes to breaking the law. Hell, one year, we had a crew who set 17 houses on fire, just because. I don't think they realize that they effectively destroyed 17 different families entire households, including possesions, memories and belongings, but a few pets as well. Thats where I draw the line. A dog and cat are defenseless animals, and do not, ever deserve to be killed for the sake of killing. When you decide to light something on fire, consider this. There might be a new born in that house, and you have effectively ruined it's chances at life because of heavy smoke inhalation and destroyed it's lungs. So if there are members of the age group I mentioned on the forums, please, enjoy your summer break responsibly. All I'm going to ask its, practice fire safety, don't drink and drive, and stay away from drugs heavier than marijuana, for your sake, and for your future.

• Brohoof 2

Personally, I have a love and hate feeling towards school so I don't know how I'd react to be honest. I don't want summer to come for some reason this year but at the same time I'd like to have a break too. :)

i know that all kids in schools around the world would go on strike.

What would really happen in my opinion would be that the pyrotechnic and recreation industries would drop in money. Also, lots of kids would be depressed and suicides would probably increase.

Suicides would most likely increase because some kids won't have summer to escape from school bullies that they'd wish to escape from with summer vacation. ...Or if they're whiny about no summer. :P

Kids going on strike...? *bursts out laughing* Welcome to the real world!

Unless you work in education, 'summer vacation' is not going to be something you experience in your work life. My workplace doesn't even give you one week of vacation until one year full-time. Since I was only part-time throughout my first year, I didn't get even that until my second year.

It'd be a good thing.

It's one of the reasons that school fails to adequetly prepare children for life after school, ie work.

Do you get such a break after work? No.

The original reason for it was so that children could help bring in the harvest, but that is no longer necessary.

• Brohoof 2

I wouldn't go for the time that I used to have summer. I wouldn't mind not having a summer during work because IMO it's not even close to being as bad as school.

This is assumedly talking about the United States education system. Personally, I think it would be a start on getting most of us idiotic teenagers on a better track. I'm not gonna put this politely - if you are a teenager, you are stupid and ignorant to some degree (myself included.) Being forced to go through school all in one go might be good for ya. There would still be the smaller breaks, but a two month break really isn't needed. You would probably finish school at an earlier age, and extra education opportunities to prepare you for college could then be an option, or, we could lower the average working age to actually make you work.

• Brohoof 1

This is assumedly talking about the United States education system. Personally, I think it would be a start on getting most of us idiotic teenagers on a better track. I'm not gonna put this politely - if you are a teenager, you are stupid and ignorant to some degree (myself included.) Being forced to go through school all in one go might be good for ya. There would still be the smaller breaks, but a two month break really isn't needed. You would probably finish school at an earlier age, and extra education opportunities to prepare you for college could then be an option, or, we could lower the average working age to actually make you work.

I need a three month goddam break or I would literally kill myself.

It'd be a good thing. It's one of the reasons that school fails to adequetly prepare children for life after school, ie work. Do you get such a break after work? No. The original reason for it was so that children could help bring in the harvest, but that is no longer necessary.

I don't have to kill pigs and to throw you in blood pools everyday because I have to prepare you about your future death. Cuz, you know, I heard people weren't prepare to this in most cases, our governments fails to adquately prepare us for death, this drastic change would be good for everyone, right ? Just because life sucks when you have a job doesn't mean life should suck before too.

Anyway, that's not the reason why children are not well prepared to work, the only thing you'd get that way is to put even more pressure on children. Yeah, those that went through it would be prepared, but at what cost ?

This right is something we still possess, and the main reason why our rights are disappearing is mainly because people don't really care about them and are even ready to give up on some of them.

Instead of thinking how better it would be with less rights, why not think about how good they are ?

@@Metallic Strings, sometimes it's not only pressure, but lack thereof too. I learned more from the teachers that expected a lot from me than the ones who basically turned class into blowoff time.  :)