Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Aren't You an Athiest?

Midnight Gaze

3 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Everyone has a religion... Being an atheist is a religion.

Atheism is merely the lack of belief in any deities. There is nothing else that that the word atheist in of itself deals with. Attaching a religion to that is asinine. No doubt there are atheists that are religious, but that is a separate question. I am atheist and irreligious.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Envy said:

Atheism is merely the lack of belief in any deities. There is nothing else that that the word atheist in of itself deals with. Attaching a religion to that is asinine. No doubt there are atheists that are religious, but that is a separate question. I am atheist and irreligious.

Yeah that's a pretty good point there. I am irreligious and I have zero interest in any religion, myself. 

2 hours ago, Envy said:

Im sure you believe in something.... Money? Yourself? Science? Those can be your religion. Its what you believe in.

I’ve identified as agnostic for most of my life because I just don’t think it’s possible to prove or disprove the existence of a higher power. I don’t see absence of evidence as evidence of absence.

Edited by Sonic Shimmer
  • Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Im sure you believe in something.... Money? Yourself? Science? Those can be your religion. Its what you believe in.

You are attempting to broaden the definition of religion so far that it completely loses any meaning of substance.

Lets look at Dictionary.com's definitions:

1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods.

"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"

Kinda an odd way of putting it here (I think supernatural is a better word than superhuman), but whatever. As you can see this does not at all describe anything you've talked about.

• a particular system of faith and worship.
    plural noun: religions
    "the world's great religions"

Again, this isn't a mere belief, or system of beliefs. It's a system of FAITH and WORSHIP.

• a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
    "consumerism is the new religion"

You probably would look at this definition, but I think when you look at the way it is said, you understand that it is speaking of religion in a figurative sense, not a literal sense. In fact it comes off as very derisive of something.

---

Frankly, I don't understand why you want so badly to expand the term out of its bounds? What good does it do to make it lose meaning, so it can become a catch-all term of beliefs? I don't think many if any of us would easily accept this change. For myself - and I'm sure others - the term religion very strongly means in our minds supernatural belief systems and worship.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 2