Did you like it?  

343 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Hmm, I'm gonna have to watch this one again. Not quite sure what I think of it yet. Rainbow is so stubborn, it's hard to comprehend :lol: The whole first half seemed kind of boring with how obvious it was that she'd have to let Tank hibernate eventually. But the "do I look angry?" scene was pretty funny, as well as Pinkie's "don't say that word".

And then a song! Finally Rainbow gets one. It was kind of cool, although directly singing about sabotaging others seems kind of icky. Sure it makes some sort of sense in context, but for purposes of listening to the song by itself, I think it should have been a little more vague.

And then actually wasting that much water? Unforgivable. Water is perhaps the most precious of all resources, and Rainbow should understand that considering her job. Not to mention all the effort she went to for the tornado thing in Hurricane Fluttershy. It's like Trade Ya all over again, with Dash making really bad impulsive mistakes.

And finally, the crying scene and letting Tank go... At least the acting is campy enough, and the actual issue minor enough that it's not too depressing, but it still feels like a surrogate episode for dealing with death, which I'd really rather they keep far away from, because there are so few shows with any emotional depth that aren't stained by horrible character death episodes.

However, I did find it quite interesting when Pinkie was sad because Twilight wasn't sad. When they all started crying, I was having a hard time picturing Twilight joining in on that, and she didn't disappoint. But for Pinkie to reveal that not only was Twilight not making a physical display, but she wasn't even sad on the inside, I think is a very interesting insight into her character. Particularly because she was distraught when Shining Armor and Celestia yelled at her in Canterlot Wedding, and again when the fake Celestia yelled at her in Sombra's door of fear. So I'm going to say she feels negative emotions very intensely in certain cases relating to her most important relationships, but otherwise not so much.

In this case, it wasn't her relationship with Dash in question, but Dash's relationship with Tank. Plus knowing that it will all be fine in the long run, she has a hard time feeling very sad about it. Though I think it really is pretty sad that Dash will never get to do all the fun winter activities with Tank that she wanted to. Obviously that was really important to her, and a big part of what she was expecting when adopting a pet. Almost like having a disabled child, and having to learn to work within their abilities rather than getting to do everything you ever dreamed of with them.

If Twilight is as much like me as I think she is, she'll realize that later and then feel bad for not having felt more sad before.

Edited by dekutree64
  • Brohoof 3

This episode was far more awkward than it was touching for me. Perhaps if we'd seen more affection between RD and Tank prior to this episode, it would have been more heartfelt. Furthermore, Rainbow's actions just didn't seem anywhere near justifiable enough. How many million bits worth of damage did she cause to Cloudsdale's weather factory just to prevent her pet from hibernating?

I'm with you. Huh, its funny... I could tell this was a good episode, and that it was pretty sad...but I couldn't cry, and usually I'm a pretty soft dude when it comes to this stuff. :huh:

Maybe I was too focused on the idea of weather warfare by Cloudsdale and stuff, but even without the feels for me it still seemed pretty good.

On a little sidenote.

We're now 5 Episodes in and i think Season 5 is looking great so far. If this keeps up and if we more episodes like these, this will be the best season ever, hands down.

It will still have to take on the Maud and Cheese Sandwhich episodes from season 4. That's a tall order, but I'm hoping it can do it. Because that would...be...awesome:wub:

That being said, I'm really glad Applejack didn't cry. Then Twilight would have made them all look like immature idiots, as usual.

You wouldn't be referring to the castle episode where they all didn't know how to decorate her rooms, would you? :lol:  

Ugh, always people who over think and over analyze to the point where an episode is bad.

If I lost my dog that I am always spending time with...do you think I would shrug it off and go "Well, she will be back in a few months." No I would be extremely sad, I had to leave my dog for two weeks last summer and even that was really upsetting. So Rainbow losing her pet and best friend for MONTHS, during what is obviously her favorite season given how happy she is to do stuff with Tank is not suprising at all.

And this episode did not break any continuity. If you thought episodes between premieres and finales was in order than I want to know what you have been smoking. That running of the leaves episode came AFTER winter wrap up...so saying May the Best Pet win (spring) came after HWE makes more sense than saying it didn't, I swear, most people just want to be there own little Digibronies.

I also read that this episode was basically just filler....oh so like basically every episode of the series? Premieres and finales= not filler, season 4 key episodes=not filler Everything else=filler, if you dont like an episode because it's filler, you aren't watching the right show.

If you are going to extreme lengths like this to not like the episode, than you WANT to hate it.

Edited by ryanmahaffe
  • Brohoof 5

However, I did find it quite interesting when Pinkie was sad because Twilight wasn't sad.

Either Pinkie figured Twilight should be sad because her friend was sad, thus making her sad.  :maud:

Or, Pinkie understood the only way to stop the madness, was for everyone to cry it out with Rainbow til she accepted the fact Tank is a damn turtle and isn't dying.  :maud:

I personally believe its latter.  :maud:

• Brohoof 1

Wow, they actually managed to make Rainbow Dash even more immature and selfish than usual! I'm not a fan of RD, and episodes like these are one reason why.

The worst thing about the episode was how she destroyed a building and put many others in danger, and never suffers any consequence for her actions. No one is even aware that she was the one who destroyed the factory!

With the way she was acting, you would have thought that Tank was dying, not just sleeping for a while. If you want to make an episode about dealing with death and loss, how about you actually kill someone off instead of using a weaker analogy that ruins the message?

In case you couldn't tell, I didn't like this episode at all.

Don't care about Frozen, but that's beside the point. Just because it doesn't bother you personally doesn't change how it affects the believability of this episode. The one line opened a major gap in its continuity because it directly conflicts with Hearth's Warming Eve. It's a small line with major implications.

Alone, something like the song would be really good. But when connected to the overall narrative, the expressions, song, and feels do stop being awesome. Why? Because that continuity error affects every single action from Dash afterwards. The song, her desire to stop winter from coming, her gross stupidity and recklessness, and overall out-of-characterization. Ever since season two, the timeline is in direct continuity from one episode to the other. May the Best Pet Win took place early in season two, and HWE aired not long after.

In other words, Tank would've been Dash's pet at this point, so she should've experienced this at least once before. Plus, Fluttershy has been around other animals who have hibernated. Dash knows better than this, and she's matured greatly over the years, so she should've behaved as such.

That still doesn't justify her actions.

No. What made Dash out of character is the approach to not wanting to be alone. Considering her one of her closest friends is around animals all the time, Dash should understand how hibernation works. Her actions throughout the episode are completely stupid considering the circumstances.

This episode was supposed to parallel mourning a pet. One problem. Tank was sleeping. He's not dead. He's going to wake up, and Fluttershy pointed this out to her early in the first act.

If they gave Dash a very strong reason why she didn't want Tank to hibernate (i.e., Tank got sick during hibernation or after he woke up), it would make sense. Instead, this episode plays with "just because," making the entire episode contrived. This episode was supposed to bring out the feels, but only brings out headaches instead.

I give up. If all you're going to do is complain about the plot hole you're never going to enjoy the rest of the show.

I don't watch the show to make sure it's consistent. I watch the show for some fun Comedic moments and some dramatic moments. Don't be a McNitpick.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, my God! This episode was hilarious! Easily the funniest episode of the series, with "Bridle Gossip" being a close second. It's nice to see Cindy Morrow back on the writing staff after she's been gone for two whole seasons. Apparently, Ashleigh took hammy acting lessons from Tabitha. I'm sure seeing Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash sobbing together in a pile will spark some foursome clopfics and art.

Edited by smitty121325
  • Brohoof 1

I wasn't looking forward to this episode much as I am not as big a fan of Rainbow Dash though she has grown on me and I never disliked her, but after enjoying "Bloom and Gloom"(I tend not to like eps where Applebloom obsesses over her cute mark but I loved that episode) "Testing Testing 123" and "Wonderbolt Academy" I was more hopeful for this. I have to say I liked this episode. It seems to be the first episode focused solely on Rainbow Dash for a long time. I was a bit annoyed at Rainbow being so much in denial but I liked that her behavior was driven by her love for Tank and her fear of being alone again. It shows how much she has bonded with Tank. This episode is a great example of Rainbow Dash's element of loyalty and it endeared me to her. Her facial expressions were super cool too. The song was a perfect fit for Rainbow Dash. It had a great beat. I liked how she did neat flying moves throughout the whole song. Her singing voice has improved since "May the Best Pet Win". I related to how Rainbow felt wanting to keep Tank with her to the point of sabotaging winter. I am very loyal to my friends and oftentimes others do not understand my loyalty. I loved the callbacks to Fall Weather Friends and Winter Wrap Up. This episode proves that it has only been about a year since Winter Wrap up. It also proves Cloudsdale and probably other cloud towns actually move. How does Rainbow's house stay still? Or does it also move? Does her mailbox stay in one place but her house moves? I loved the ice hockey reference. Rainbow looks great in ice hockey type gear. I just wonder why they chose the name "horse hockey"? The scene where Rainbow Dash goes into the whether factory and destroys it cracked me up. I liked seeing more of the weather factory. I'm just surprised that the other pegasus ponies weren't more pissed. It was neat to see more new pegasus ponies. I notice we saw another room in the castle which must be Spike's bedroom. The crying scene in her(RD's) bedroom was interesting. To answer some other posts here I think Twilight used the cloud walking spell again since it is an easy spell. I was surprised it was Fluttershy that made Rainbow deal with her emotions. I wondered if it was character development for Fluttershy since the breezie episode with her being more firm for the other person's own good. Applejack's crying on the inside joke was darn funny and makes perfect sense. It is probably why we see her so level headed all the time. It makes me want to see an episode where Applejack cries. I think the lesson is about denial in this episode. I like that it showed the importance of a good cry. Rarity's winter outfit at the end is clearly a reference to Russian fashion LOL. 

Here's the ep in full on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHUWWc6Zp4Q

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 2

Considering her one of her closest friends is around animals all the time, Dash should understand how hibernation works.

I am not sure I agree with that. My best friend is physician, and I am a developer. Our interactions, as interconnected as these elements are to ourselves individually, do not mean we understand each others skills. Dash understood something of hibernation, but not how tortoises hibernate.

This episode was supposed to parallel mourning a pet. One problem. Tank was sleeping. He's not dead. He's going to wake up, and Fluttershy pointed this out to her early in the first act.

I don't know about everyone else. They can take it that way. I am interpreting this as a story as one that is more analogous to serious illness. Perhaps it is the more personal nature of that interpretation to my current situation ... but it is a closer one to one analogy because of the additional stage of hope that follows acceptance. 

• Brohoof 7

Dat Grinch smile RD did there.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of the Grinch with this episode. That's what I thought of when I first read the description.

RAINBOW DASH: I must stop winter from coming.

But, yeah, Rainbow's expressions are one of the best parts of this episode.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it's a simple episode, to be sure. But it seems like they put a lot of heart and attention into Rainbow Dash's song, more so than in some past examples. Plus, having RD have a crying fit over her pet brought on both the feels and the laughs. It was sad to see her so broken up over parting with Tank, but it was pretty funny to see her let loose like that as well. I also enjoyed the mess she made in Cloudsdale -- that was pretty fun to watch.

I liked it. Wouldn't say I "loved" it in this case, but I definitely liked it a lot. And being an RD fan, I hold it higher than most RD-centric episodes of the past.

Edited by Vertigo-01
  • Brohoof 1

I really love today's episode. We got to see Rainbow Dash's soft/cute side (she's always cute anyways  :wub: ) and when she cried along with Rarity, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie, it really hit me. Seeing Dashie sad makes me sad :( . Its always hard to say goodbye to someone you love even if its just for a while.

And we FINALLY got a Rainbow Dash solo song ("Awesome as i Wanna Be" doesnt count) and it was amazing! The song was so sweet and Ashleigh Ball nailed it.

Tanks for the memories is my favourite episode this season so far followed by Castle Sweet Castle. Season 5 is still just getting started and i cannot wait for what else it has to offer.

Edited by FadedSkies
  • Brohoof 1

This episode wasn't good.

It started with a great message. Dealing with loss is something that I wish more children's shows would cover. Hell, Sesame Street covered it back in the early Eighties. It's a very important life lesson that would have fit perfectly in MLP, but they just had to screw it up.

Rainbow Dash wasn't "losing" anything. Hibernation lasts three months. This episode tried to pull a serious message, but had absolutely no collateral to back it up. I suspect this may have been Hasbro's meddling, because I can tell the writers tried to work around this issue, but no amount of hard work is going to fix a broken premise.

Then, around Act 2, the "trying" ceased altogether. Rainbow Dash trying to "stop winter" might be one of the most hare-brained schemes this show has ever pulled, and it only got stupider as the episode progressed. Why would any step of this plan strike rainbow as being a good idea? Why would Rainbow put stopping three months of hibernation above the natural cycles of Ponyville? Why would she think that she even could stop winter? Why would she glue the leaves back on the trees? Why would she resort to sabotaging an entire factory when the rest of her plan flopped? And WHY did she get away with all of these things with no consequences?

This episode tried to stretch an ill-advised premise into simultaneously serious and irreverent plotlines, without ever considering whether any of it was a good idea to begin with. Hibernation isn't death, stopping winter isn't possible, and industrial sabotage isn't okay. Jesus, this was stupid.

• Brohoof 6

I LOVED this episode!! Right now I think it's my favorite of the season, so far. I laughed more than I have in a long while and...and I almost cried, too. Not ashamed to admit that. When RD, Fluttershy, Pinkie and Rarity were all in a sobbing pile around Tank...that really got to me. I think this is the closest the show will ever come to having an episode about loss. I could relate to Dashie, I have a deep bond with my furry kids (aka 'pets'), thank god dogs don't have to hibernate! Ah, and RD freaking out over saying that H-word...haha. I have OCD and there are certain "trigger words" I find myself avoiding, so that whole scene was pretty familiar to me and I couldn't help but laugh. RD was originally one of my favorite ponies when I first discovered the show because I've always loved 'tomboy' characters. But over time she's dropped on the totem pole so to speak, probably in part thanks to her often arrogant attitude. This episode was good character development for her and it made me love her again. Did I forget to mention the awesome faces in this one? Because there were some awesome faces. Bring on the memes!

• Brohoof 2

What came to my mind is... what if RD wings came into the propellor of Tank.. That wouldn't look so good. Just came to think of it, since she flew so close. But then again she survived the weather machine. So they are probably pretty tough

Edited by Trine