Did you like it?  

343 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

It was a good episode, I really really liked it. That Rainbow Dash SOLO made me *squee*, it is fantastic, I think I'm gonna listen to that song over and over. 
I know it's wrong, but what does it matter?  (best line xD)

Anyway, I enjoyed every single minute of it and I like how what they've learned in the past episodes affects how they behave.
I would sum this episode up this way:"even though it's hard, there's a time we have to say goodbye to our friends/pets"

• Brohoof 4

So the continuity thing: has it all just been a year between season two-season five? It doesn't really make sense... Rainbow Dash got Tank Season Two, Episode 7? That doesn't make sense, between Hearth's Warming Eve which is in Winter. Which is Season Two, Episode 11. So she would have already had to have Tank hibernate right? :sunny:

No. The episodes are not in order.

Anyway, I loved this episode. I was slightly spoiled as I heard the name of the episode and I gathered that it was about Tank in some way. This was great. I loved the winter theme and having every pony do their part to make this episode great. They even brought the running of the leaves back. I even loved Rainbow Dash's song which I was not looking forward to if she was getting a solo song. But it was a good one. It, along with the episode itself, sure made me smile a lot. I like the main story of Dash having to give up Tank if only for a little while. I am sure that something like that would be hard on her. Especially to admit it to her friends. I sort of wanted to see her succeed and stop winter but I knew that was not meant to be.

Good work Daniel Ingram and Cindy Morrow.

I knew Cloudsdale was mobile! I had that suspicion ever since it seemed out of place for S2:E22, I wonder how many more of my headcanons are going to become a reality! ^^ 

Suspicion? It was actually confirmed to move around Equestria if I recall. It's main location is quite far from Ponyville if the Equestrian map is to be concerned.

• Brohoof 2

Everytime I finish the new episode the next thing I look forward to the most is your reaction video for the episode

Thanks for the support!

Hopefully I can get it edited and posted before the night is through! :D

• Brohoof 2

Yo, Rainbow Dash broke in and blew up the the Cloudsdale snow factory without any consequence.

lol wut B)

Edited by Melon Blitz
  • Brohoof 3

Minor thoughts in 3, 2, 1:

I'm glad to see that The Running of the Leaves is still a thing instead of them forgetting about it entirely.

I like that Rainbow Dash has a soft spot for Tank, ya know, the whole "I-love-my-pet-so-much-that-I-want-to-be-with-forever" kinda thing.

"I suppose his heartbeat could be a teensie, beensie, inseeiest slower than usual.", well that possibly means he's dying of old age or something.

Fluttershy, we already know what hibernation is. You already explained about it to Spike back in Season 1. And besides, some of us have seen Spongebob Season 2.

I honestly didn't know tortoises hibernate. Then that probably means Owlisious and Angel have to hibernate too.

"What are you looking at?!" The children aren't looking at YOU Rainbow Dash, they're looking at the TV.

Sheesh! Rainbow's angry face! I must say, the animation is improving in terms of facial expressions and detail. Let's just hope it doesn't reach Modern Spongebob level.

That yellow pegasus with the long blue mane. Alright, who's OC was sent Hasbro Animation Studios?

Making jokes out of ponies' names is quite funny.

Welp, there's the Rainbow Dash solo you've wanted for so long. NOW CAN PLEASE SHUT UP ABOUT IT!

How dumb are those pegasi to divert the snowflakes back into the clouds?

Why does the Winter Lab look like the Science Room from Atlantis Squarepantis? Why am I referencing a lot of Spongebob?

"Prepare yourselves everypony. Winter is coming!" Don't you mean "A storm is coming!"?

Rainbow Dash may have caused lots of property damage to Ponyville and the Cloudscape Weather Factory, not to mention injury lots of ponies from the snow nuke and being buried in heaps of snow, and by the looks of things Rainbow gets away Scott free instead of doing community service afterwards. What is this? Double Rainboom?

Why is Rainbow Dash acting like an 8 year old all off a sudden? She's crying at the fact that she's not going to see Tank for 3-4 months, NOT FOREVER! I cried the exact same way when I was 8 when I had a scrape on my knee! LIGHTEN UP!

Though, I'll admit, Ashleigh Ball's performance was sort of enjoyable. Though I'm sort of worried about her throat. I mean she's shouting in a high voice, crying in a high voice, not to mention all those voice cracks. I'm kinda worried for the gal. I'm surprised she made through another season as Rainbow Dash let alone this one episode.

"I can't bear to see Fluttershy cry." "It's just... heart-wrenching." Well it was in Season 1 and 2 but now it's kinda getting the tiniest bit old.

What sort of glasses is Rarity wearing at the end? Does it really fit with the clothes she's wearing?

This Grinch face = LOL ×10

post-31321-0-41752300-1429994083_thumb.jpg

Edited by James A Williams
  • Brohoof 2

After a bit of a slow start I thought this turned out to easily be the best ep of the season yet. Loved it!

It was so interesting to see one of the mane 6 doing something "immoral" and "selfish", but believing in their own mind that they were doing somepony a favour or some form of good in doing so. Shows how easily it can be for anypony to cross that line into villainy. Dashy's faces this ep were totally bordering on an insane villain and they were bloody hilarious.

I wasn't thrilled by the song though, only slight disappointment this ep for me. Dashy in her dressing gown and slippers was so cute, and when she cried too!

Plaudits for giving Fluttershy some much needed proper character work. She was extremely useful in utilisng her knowledge of animals and her insight, knowing how to approach and handle Rainbow Dash in her situation.

As much as Dash and Fluttershy had good stuff this ep, single best moment possibly goes to Pinkie Pie for: "Applejack cries on the inside, Twilight!" 

• Brohoof 2

I have gotta say, I really love this episode. The bond that she shares with Tank is so awesome. And now, it seems like she isn't afraid to show how much she loved Tank. (I remember in season 3 where all the ponies were saying goodbye to their pets and Dash just gives like a 3 second nose rub with Tank and than looks around as if nothing happened. Almost like she was too afraid to admit/show , how much she really did love Tank) This episode made me cry a few tears and sniffle a little bit. I kinda get how Rainbow feels, when you have a pet by your side, with every moment, it would be really hard to get over the fact, that you won't see your pet again for 3-4 months. Especially if it's your first pet. 

All in all love the episode, but, would have liked it, if Dash, didn't have to go as far as she did just to stop winter for everypony else.

Edited by Scootaloo Is Best Filly
  • Brohoof 1

What a great episode, one of Dash's strongest yet if not the strongest in my opinion.

I have to admit at first I was a little miffed about her "all-about-me" behavior showing face again, and while it was awesome to hear her finally get her own solo number the whole premise of it and the ridiculously proportioned lengths she was willing to go just to have her way had me going "Ugh.. Rainbow!" a couple of times. >_>

But then came her emotional scene where she finally accepted there was nothing she could do... and oh boy, did I tear up (well, more like AJ on the inside :bedeyes:) but it was really really great to see Dash let her emotional barricades come down like this, it just shows how deep her feelings really go for those she cares about, and is another prime example of her element. It also showed me that, in a way, her selfish behaviors are only a result of her never wanting to be without her friends, because they mean so much to her, and loosing any of them would leave a deep hole she wouldn't be able to fill I think, and she touches on this by sitting with Tank and reading to him even after he's gone hibernating. No matter what obstacles, she wants to be with her closest companions to the bitter end. It reminded me how great a pony Rainbow Dash is at her core, despite her usual façade, behind all that is one of the best companions you could ever ask for.

So yup, I give this episode my Dash Seal of Awesomeness, a great character building episode for her, and a good showing to her detractors that she's only thinking of herself because she thinks so much about others.

• Brohoof 6

OMG this episode was really good, I loved every minute of it, it's nice to see an episode that focuses on pets and how much they matter to us and this episode did just that! I loved seeing all the lengths Rainbow Dash went to to stop winter from coming just so Tank wouldn't hibernate. The song is so amazing and one I'll be singing to myself for a while. I love the faces made in this episode especially the Rainbow Dash Grinch face and the face she made when she yelled she wasn't mad. The scene where Rainbow is crying and her friends start crying brought me to tears and I was crying too! Such a great episode 9/10!!!

Also love the part where Pinkie said Applejack cries on the inside and Applejack simply says Yep.

• Brohoof 1

Applejack cries on the inside...

That's pretty deep, actually. Kinda sad too.
It also sort of canonizes the whole "parents are gone, I must be strong and show no weakness" thing that people believe is the root of her stubbornness. 

• Brohoof 3

It was a good episode, I really really liked it. That Rainbow Dash SOLO made me *squee*, it is fantastic, I think I'm gonna listen to that song over and over. 

I know it's wrong, but what does it matter?  (best line xD)

Anyway, I enjoyed every single minute of it and I like how what they've learned in the past episodes affects how they behave.

I would sum this episode up this way:"even though it's hard, there's a time we have to say goodbye to our friends/pets"

It made me squee too! Can't wait for another official album to come out so I can get the song. About that best line: I think it's true of all of us that we'd be willing to cross lines for the things we care most about...like close friends and family. Maybe not to Dashie's extent but...you know...  :)

I knew Cloudsdale was mobile! I had that suspicion ever since it seemed out of place for S2:E22, I wonder how many more of my headcanons are going to become a reality! ^^ 

There's no telling what's going to happen. Personally, I'm hoping for changeling awesomeness. I have been since the end of season 2. I'm patient.  ;)

Possibly the most emotional episode to date. I loved it.

I think this episode got more more than Sleepless in Ponyville. Something about Dashie, I guess.  :lol:

I guess Dashie has to bond more with her pony friends now that Tank is away for a while. There's an idea for shipping...not that there has ever needed to be one... :P

I think this is a pretty good episode. Though if Tank had been seen more in previous episodes or there had been small hints that Rainbow Dash and Tank were as close as they were in this episode, it might have been more impactful. That's about my only complaint.

It's always good to see Dashie's more vulnerable and emotional side. I could also relate to how she was feeling, and I'm sure many other people can too. It's the closest this show will come to covering the death of a pet. So her reactions and feelings were believable.

I like the song! I was looking forward to Dash finally getting a solo song. Also loved the facial expressions in this episode, I can already see the memes now.  We also got to see more of Cloudsdale and Rainbow Dash's house.
That Game of Thrones reference... :wub:

I'm off to make some GoT/pony crossover art

Edited by Emerald Star
  • Brohoof 2

Getting back to the whole theme of grief in this episode, I like how Fluttershy of all ponies is the one to force Rainbow Dash into her breakdown. 'cause if you think about what she does for a living, she's had lots of times where she's had to let go of something she loves.

As a caretaker, Fluttershy shelters, feeds, raises, observes, and nurses lots of animals in Ponyville. It's not unlikely that she's had to experience loss, be it through death or a release into the wild. Assuming the time between when she got her cutie mark and this episode, she's had lots of time to learn to adapt to the grief process. To not let it affect her as much as it probably did the first few times.

And she's not alone. Shelter staff, veterinarians, zookeepers and other people that work with animals go through similar situations in their line of work. They have to learn to find peace moreso than your average person. Otherwise their jobs would be harder than they need to be. Just ask my sister, who recently took on a vet assistant position at the nearby clinic. She's had to witness several euthanasias, at the same clinic where we put down our old dog years ago. It's hard, but she's been doing a damn good job of keeping her spirits high.

But sometimes, you just gotta let it all out. Fluttershy made the right choice.

• Brohoof 3

Howdy all!

Great episode! :yay:

Ashleigh Ball was SUPER AWESOME as Rainbow Dash!

Cindy Morrow wrote a heck of a story and once again Daniel Ingram does his musical genius in Dashie's song.

(Cindy wrote the song as well)

RDs facial expressions were a riot! :lol:

Same with her attempt to stop winter.

And the :( scene was quite touching as if Tank was seriously sick or dying.

Really hits ya if anyone has a pet you love so much like Dashie & Tank.

Its one of Ashleigh's best performance as Rainbow Dash in the series no doubt about it.

Bravo Cindy Bravo!!

B)

What continuity errors?

Just the fact that there was a winter episode before this one, but after the first Tank episode. But apparently the Episodes aren't in order?

Mccarthy explained in an interview with Everfree Network that the slice of life eps are out of order and more self contained.

Do you know where I can find a link to that Interview?

And I found that GoT reference to be completely Out of character for twilight to say. She doesn't talk like that.

As for Rainbow not getting punished for sabotaging the factory, I can think of two explanations:

1. Nopony knew it was her. She was never seen in the factory, And no one saw her land. I don't think there was any evidence that it was her. The only line that even implies that the others know are at the end:

Pinkie Pie: You think we could mess up winter every year? It's way less work!

Twilight Sparkle: Uh, I don't think Rainbow Dash could handle it. 

And that can easily be explained away as them thinking it was the Weather ponies who messed it up.

2. The weather ponies realized that with a bit of tinkering, they could replicate what Rainbow did in the factory, allowing them to cause winter much quicker than they have in the past.

Edited by The Only Joe

<p>reasons this epi ROCKED<br />

<br />

1.the countless new meme faces</p>

<p>2.the running on the leaves reference <br />

3.the GoT reference</p>

<p>4.the Grinch reference </p>

<p>5. the 5 stages of grief</p>

<p>6.the matching dash and tank slippers </p>

<p>7.the dash solo song</p>

<p>8.the music sounding slightly like Rainbow Factory when Dash was sneaking into the facility </p>

<p>9.Dash crying </p>

<p>10.AJ cries on the inside</p>

<p>11. the clear skies, open skies, fluffly clouds joke<br />

</p>

Edited by Angel Wings
  • Brohoof 1

[edit] I wrote this before looking at anything already posted in this topic, so I apologize if anything I say is a duplicate of someone else's opinion. [/edit]

Season 5 Episode 5: “Tanks for the Memories”

Writing my thoughts down as I’m watching the episode for a second time.

The callback to the Running of the Leaves was nice, but I imagine this episode as a whole would be pretty confusing for someone who wasn’t already familiar with the show and the ponies’ control over the seasons and weather. There’s nothing wrong with this in principle, it’s just unusual for MLP.

It’s adorable to see Rainbow Dash able to read Tank so deftly, even when the ever-observant Twilight describes him as “just like he always does”. It’s similar to Pinkie Pie’s ability to talk to Maud.

Rainbow Dash’s understanding and grieving over hibernation followed near exactly the 5 stages of loss and grief.
1. Denial and isolation: Rainbow Dash ignored the opinions of her more knowledgeable friends (Fluttershy and Spike) when they told her Tank had to hibernate. She convinced herself that Tank wasn’t going to hibernate, that they were wrong: denial by definition. She then isolated herself by pushing her friends away when they tried even indirectly to address the truth. Isolation is most clearly expressed when Rainbow Dash separates herself from Fluttershy, Spike and then Pinkie Pie, with the separation from Pinkie Pie leading clearly into the second stage.
2. Anger: This continues the isolation and denial. Not only is Rainbow furious about the truth she is slowly being forced to accept, she is in denial of her anger. Both of these factors contribute to her increasing isolation.
3. Bargaining: Aware now that hibernation is the issue, Rainbow turns to alternate solutions. She tries to avoid saying the word “hibernation”, thinking that it might be some placebo effect forcing Tank to sleep. She talks about the perks of winter, trying to convince Tank to stay awake, and then resorts to possible guilt-tripping: “Don’t you want to do those things with me?”
Getting more desperate, she realizes she can’t have both Tank and winter. She attempts to eradicate winter in exchange for Tank’s presence.
4. Depression: Probably the most obvious stage in this case. Rainbow Dash on the bed, exhibiting typical symptoms of depression (monotony, denial, lethargy, isolation, etc.), then bursting into tears and crying and stuff. I’m not going to explain this.
5. Acceptance: Rainbow taking the time to dig out a space for Tank to sleep, using the word “hibernate”, and even helping Tank fall asleep by reading him a story.

It was great seeing another pet episode and a Rainbow Dash episode, this coming from a person who is a fan of neither MLP pets nor Rainbow Dash.

Lots and lots and lots of adorable/funny/stand-out moments in this one, just gonna list ‘em all:

• Fluttershy with the stethoscope looking at Tank
  • Rainbow Dash’s reaction to Tank hibernating: “You know he’s not a bear, right?”
  • Rainbow’s entire comprehension (or lack thereof) of hibernation, her discussion with Spike, etc.
  • Spike’s room in the castle, getting to see the castle as a normal part of the scenery, castle castle castle, etc.
  • The confusion between the different ponies was cute and funny. Brings up a good point, too: What the heck do they do about all these names being shared with natural phenomena?
  • Rainbow Dash finally gets her own song! I don’t think any part of the song is excellent or outstanding, but it was still enjoyable.
  • It was great seeing more of the Rainbow Weather Factory. Pretty interesting how they make the seasons. Also the room of weather jars! Awesome!
  • Rainbow’s high-pitched scream when the jar of lightning crashed and brought a thunderstorm. Freaking adorable! :wub:
  • Rainbow Dash in the bathrobe. I want to squeeze her. <3
  • I loved Fluttershy here! I think it fits well with her personality that she’s able to know that Rainbow can only let it go once she’s let it out. It shows some great growth in character since earlier seasons--finally, Fluttershy’s remembering a lesson from earlier (“It Ain’t Easy Being Breezies”)!
  • The domino effect with the crying was funny. Reminded me a lot of the fandom. No one can stand seeing Fluttershy crying.  >_>
  • “Applejack cries on the inside, Twilight!” / “It’s true.”
  • Ponies in outfits are always wonderful. Rainbow Dash’s and Twilight’s were especially cute.

And a few cringeworthy/questionable moments:

• Fluttershy’s forced educational explanation of hibernation
  • The lyrics of Rainbow Dash’s song were sloppy in places.
  • The examination of snowflakes. Presumably Pegasi are the only ones able to easily access the factory and live in Cloudsdale? Creating snowflakes would be much better suited to Unicorn magic. I know it’s perfectly possible for a snowflake factory to exist in the sky, I just think it’d be a lot more practical to have it on the ground. Pegasi can’t be the only ones with weather-making cutie marks.

Overall…
Humor: 9/10
Plenty of references, jokes, visual gags and other things provided quality comic relief. I found this a very funny episode.

Plot/overall presentation (pacing, development, soundness, writing, etc.): 7/10
The plot was believable, but the introduction to the episode wasn’t great and I resent Fluttershy’s explanation of hibernation. We’ve already addressed hibernation and what it is in “Winter Wrap Up”. I know, I know, it’s a kids’ show, but I really think MLP is better than shoehorned educational lines.
https://youtu.be/sdhdZm5DF_k?t=1m45s

Specialized characterization (Rainbow Dash): 10/10
Rainbow Dash felt in-character the entire time and the episode made me appreciate her a lot more. No complaints here!

Overall characterization (minor-for-the-episode characters): 6/10
I love how Fluttershy knew what to say to make Rainbow Dash feel worse in order to make her feel better. Almost all of the ponies crying together was sweet and somewhat believable, but I took that more as comedic relief than characterization. Overall, this didn’t do much to add depth to characters other than Rainbow Dash, but it didn’t detract from the development arcs and may have advanced them very very very slightly.

Animation/visuals: 6/10
This score is more of a guess, since I don’t pay a lot of attention to visuals. It was nice seeing the detail in the Weather Factory and there were a lot of very cute moments, but nothing wowed me.
I also might not be judging this fairly because I watched it on pretty low quality, so there may be things I missed when the screen froze and skipped a few frames in between.

Overall score would be 7.6/10.
You can round that up to 8/10 if you want, but I think 7.6 describes the episode quite well. :)

Definitely enjoyable, great characterization for Rainbow, we’ve finally got another pet episode. I’m kind of sorry that we don’t get to see more of the castle and the map and all that really REALLY interesting stuff they introduced in the opener, but hey, this was still a solid episode.

Edited by Abia
  • Brohoof 4

I rather liked this episode, it showed Rainbow's more sensitive side and not just her saying she's awesome and stuff. It was a nice change and showed off her other feelings. 

4 of the mane 6 cried..(I cried too.)..that scene was real emotional...I was actually cuddling my Fluttershy plush at the time.Though, in the end, Dash accepted the fact that Tank needed to sleep. Despite Flutters maybe being a bit harsh towards her, but Dash needed that push.

There were a fewy brony nudges in this episode...like the whole Rarity saying "I can't bear to see Fluttershy cry" because I don't think anyone can stand to see her cry. The Game of Thrones Reference...Oh man..I just facepalmed when Twilight said "Winter is Coming". The Pegasus name thing was priceless, it's funny because it's true. There's so many pegasus (canon and OC) that have  sky related names...It'd actually get  confusing sometimes.

• Brohoof 3

Uh ... Uh huh ... huh-wha-? I, um ... huh? Huh?!

Maybe it's because I've been watching this episode at 11:30pm, but I think I need some time to think about it and to watch it again after a good night's sleep. This was so right and so wrong on so many levels. Right now I'd say it was better than last week's episode, but for the wrong reasons. Hm ... Gonna write more tomorrow.