Did you like it?  

343 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I didnt liked this Episode. I dont care if its supposedly handling the theme of death, it didnt happened in the Episode, so i dont see why i should feel emotional. Instead, her Turtle just had to sleep and she overreacted extreme, putting everyone in danger. Maybe i cant feel sympathy because i have no pets , that could also be the case, but this Episode just made me angry at Rainbow Dash for being selfish again.

• 5 months later...

I honestly think this is up there with "Over a Barrel" as far as messing up serious topics goes. I have zero sympathy for Rainbow being sad her pet hibernates, like a goddamn toddler, and even if this episode were about death, Rainbow's actions would be hard to sympathize with. If this is about grief, it's a completely inept take on the subject matter, to the extent that it makes the show seem less mature. It's like a small child trying to sound grown-up. And even most of the jokes are weak. This sucks. 

The Clear Skies/Open Skies routine is great, though. The song has grown on me, but it's absolutely wasted by the garbage context. Maybe if it were tacked on and didn't reference the actual plot, I'd be able to listen to it on its own, but ugh, no thanks. 

Score:
Entertainment: 4/10
Characters: 2/10
Themes: 4/10
Story: 1/10
Overall: 28/100

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

The biggest problem with this episode is the broken metaphor. It tries to act like Tank hibernating is like dying, but those are completely different things. Rainbow Dash just seems so selfish. The episode feels so useless because Tank appears again only 8 episodes later.

Score: 2/10

Edited by bigbertha
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I didn’t really care for this episode because Rainbow was over the top. Hibernation being a metaphor for death was done much better in Tinker Bell and the Legend of the Neverbeast.

Two highlights though...

“Rainbow Dash, your winter is going to be...(dramatic pause)...pet-less.”

“Waaahhh!”

That was hilarious.

The other highlight was Rainbow and Tank having Tank and Rainbow slippers.

• 1 month later...

I actually quite liked the episode. It did feel awkward to see Rainbow make a big fuss out of just a hibernation, but I guess it can be hard for somepony. Maybe it was the best the writers could do without making the episode too dark. I actually found the jokes funny because hibernation didn't seem like something devastating to feel sad about.

• 1 month later...

I kinda liked to see a grand parade of the more flawed and childish side of Rainbow Dash... I didn't sympathize with her at all, though. I LOVED Applejack's reaction to RD's breakdown. She is so mature and cool and detached...  I love her "It's true." moment. Sassy girl.

hqdefault.jpg

But yeah... from what I've seen, RD is the worst pet owner ever. Not letting him hibernate when she knows he needs to, feeding him pies... Gah, she's so careless.

• 1 month later...

Rainbow is such a brat. Even if Tank actually was dying, that doesn't excuse Rainbow from actively trying to stop Winter and not getting any kind of punishment. Sympathy only goes so far and for me, it stops at destroying a factory. The fact that Tank isn't dying only makes her actions even worse. And there's Rainbow's breakdown scene with the rest of the mane six that tries to both be dramatic and funny, but the tones clash constantly and neither work very well.

I like a couple of the jokes in the episode and the song at least sounds good, but there's not much else here.

Score: 2/10

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/27/2018 at 1:34 AM, qwerE said:

I actually quite liked the episode. It did feel awkward to see Rainbow make a big fuss out of just a hibernation, but I guess it can be hard for somepony. Maybe it was the best the writers could do without making the episode too dark. I actually found the jokes funny because hibernation didn't seem like something devastating to feel sad about.

It did seem rather obvious that the writers wanted to do a message about dealing with death, but were forbidden from mentioning actual death (see also: "The Perfect Pear" and Applejack's parents). And it delivered said message well enough that the criticism of Rainbow overreacting to Tank's hibernation felt like a minor nerd nitpick.

• 5 months later...

Wow. Just wow. Rainbow Dash in this episode was willing to sabotage an entire operation that the rest of those ponies were doing. She is a selfish, egotistical toddler. She is not really a good pony...she was willing to do all that for her pet. It's not like he was dying or anything, too. Why was she not accepting what Fluttershy had told her? I think Rainbow Dash here is possibly stupid, or over-the top in her ego. Possibly both. I really feel like they should have found out RD caused the havoc here, plus, RD was also risking her own life and that of her pet in doing so. Really not a good look at all for her character. RD needed a stern talking to from Celestia and Luna here at the end of the episode. RD is an extremely careless pet owner. She should be ashamed.

Edited by Califorum

• 4 weeks later...

I know that most people hate this episode because of how Rainbow Dash was being selfish and destroy the factory just to stop winter so she can hang out with Tank. 

However, I might get a lot a hate for this, but I actually do love this episode. In fact, I think this is the best Rainbow Dash episode I've seen in a long time. We may see her as brash, bold, and cocky, but we never seen her being emotional. After 4+ seasons, I'm glad that the show was able to showcase that since Rainbow Dash is going through the five stages of grief in the episode.

The best part of the entire episode was Fluttershy tells Dash that she will be petless throughout winter, and Dashie just burst out crying. I actually do love that scene for 5 reasons. 1. I thought the scene was very adorable. 2. It makes me appreciate Dashie even more as a character. 3. I like how Ashleigh Ball goes into her emotional range when she's playing Dashie in her emotional core. She did a fantastic job. 4. While it was silly to see Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie crying along with Dashie, but it did make up for a very good joke like Applejack crying on the inside and AJ was like: "its true''. That cracked me up and 5. Dashie thanking the Mane 6 for comforting her and saying goodbye to Tank got me chocked me up and it's super cute. Without of doubt, the best moment of the series.

Also, that I'll Fly song?! (claps) Way to go, Ashleigh Ball. I really love that song.:wub:

So yeah, I think this episode deserves more love and less hate, and so as Dashie as well. Sure, Dashie has her flaws, but you know what? Her flaws what makes her stronger and she learns from her mistakes. Same thing with the Mane 6. That's why I think this episode is the best of Season 5.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion this is not only a great episode but also a very important one for RD. 

RD's behavior got far more complex with this episode. There were a lot of hints before she's also a more carrying pony beneath, but in no episode before this got more shown as in this one. She would do everything to keep her pet at her side. She would even become the Grinch. I can be wrong but I think she got even the same smile on her face.

I think this also the point were most people start not liking this episode. Speaking from a real world perspective you'd be right. What she does here is certainly not a good thing and would be punishable. I'm also certainly no one who justifies the means by the end but she's desperate and I really liked to see her more carrying side. Considering RD's shown character so far I can even believe she would do  something like that: if she has a goal she runs directly to it. Besides being a cartoon show which want to show the positive and negative sides of thing in examples, I don't take it too literally. If you would do this many thing would become problematic and most likely I wouldn't like the show anymore. It's a cartoon show and at least I enjoy it for what it is. But yes, in the real world this would be a big No No.

This being said, I can assure you I'm not okay with everything. If you want to know a episode where I truly don't like RD because of her behavior, I can name you one: "2,4,6 Great", Season 9. Her behavior is nothing but selfish there. With this episode here I can feel her, understand her even if I don't justifies what she does here. She could of course just went along what Fluttershy said, but then episode would be over instantly and the lesson would be just follow and don't think about it. This show lives from telling stories about non perfect characters and their stories about good and bad decisions and their consequences.

In my opinion this episode is not actual talking about the hibernation of a pet. RD is going through all stages of grief here and the title of this episode is clearly a play on "Thanks for the memories". English is not my native language but as far as I know this is used when someone is saying goodbye permanently. If I'm wrong with his please correct me. So, this is actual quite a topic for the target audience of the show, so I'm not surprised they addressed it indirectly with the hibernation. I give the show a lot of credit for trying such a topic and also for showing all the five stages of grief.  And as I said going through all of this stages, RD good better while more depth not worse (in my opinion).

I also need to say something about this song. If I'm not mistaken this is the first solo song of RD / Ashleigh Ball. She's a great singer and this song is really amazing. For this alone this episode cannot be anything less as good in my book.

There were also a lot of details here which can be overlooked easily. For example Fluttershy being the one who break the truth to RD. Normally you wouldn't think she would be one who does it. But the Breezies episode of season 4 and its impact on her apparently was not forgotten by writers. So consistency again which the show has a lot of. Maybe I should start to count this o.o

If someone is loving/liking/hating or what ever else this episode, there is a lot going on here.

On 2021-04-16 at 3:22 AM, JMTV99 said:

I know that most people hate this episode because of how Rainbow Dash was being selfish and destroy the factory just to stop winter so she can hang out with Tank. 

However, I might get a lot a hate for this, but I actually do love this episode. In fact, I think this is the best Rainbow Dash episode I've seen in a long time. We may see her as brash, bold, and cocky, but we never seen her being emotional. After 4+ seasons, I'm glad that the show was able to showcase that since Rainbow Dash is going through the five stages of grief in the episode.

The best part of the entire episode was Fluttershy tells Dash that she will be petless throughout winter, and Dashie just burst out crying. I actually do love that scene for 5 reasons. 1. I thought the scene was very adorable. 2. It makes me appreciate Dashie even more as a character. 3. I like how Ashleigh Ball goes into her emotional range when she's playing Dashie in her emotional core. She did a fantastic job. 4. While it was silly to see Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie crying along with Dashie, but it did make up for a very good joke like Applejack crying on the inside and AJ was like: "its true''. That cracked me up and 5. Dashie thanking the Mane 6 for comforting her and saying goodbye to Tank got me chocked me up and it's super cute. Without of doubt, the best moment of the series.

Also, that I'll Fly song?! (claps) Way to go, Ashleigh Ball. I really love that song.:wub:

So yeah, I think this episode deserves more love and less hate, and so as Dashie as well. Sure, Dashie has her flaws, but you know what? Her flaws what makes her stronger and she learns from her mistakes. Same thing with the Mane 6. That's why I think this episode is the best of Season 5.

Well, I don't hate you :) And even if I would disagree with your opinion I wouldn't hate you. There is a difference between persons and their opinions^^ But it was interesting how much our opinions are in synch with this episode :wub:

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

My opinion hasn't changed since last time I saw this. It's not a good episode, particularly because of how willing RD is to sabotage everyone for the sake of her ego. I understand she cares about her pet, but, she really has a hard time listening to others. The song was great though.