Did you like it?  

343 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Just the fact that there was a winter episode before this one, but after the first Tank episode. But apparently the Episodes aren't in order?

To be honest, that's something that I've been confused about myself. Both "Princess Twilight Sparkle" and "Pinkie Pride" imply that only a year has passed since the events of "Friendship is Magic." If all of the events have taken place over a year, then, damn, the Mane Six sure have had their hooves full. I think another poster pointed out that the slice of life episodes are self-contained and are out of order, so they could probably be easily seen as taking place over one year, but the premieres and finales sure make how much time has passed in Equestira since Twilight moved to Ponyville extremely confusing. 

• Brohoof 1

second thing I disliked- Fluttershy making Dash cry. OHHHHH, if it had been anypony making FLUTTERSHY cry, NO ONE would be forgiving. But It's all fine and dandy for her to make other ponies cry (let's not forget how she kept going on about RD's fears to freak her out, in Sonic Rainboom, but Luna forbid Pinkie goes and throws Flutter's fears in HER face. And Rarity gets upset over Fluttershy crying and not Rainbow Dash? Bias, much?

Fluttershy had a reason to make Dash cry (and it worked). When she was going on about RD's fears, I don't think she was doing it on purpose. And as for the Rarity thing, that was the joke - that the episode was about RD but Rarity was feeling sorry for Fluttershy. It could have been a joke as simple as that, or it might have been a reference to the fanbase (This episode seemed to have a fair few self-references so I wouldn't be suprised).

Oh, and the no one would be forgiving thing - I dunno if you are talking about the fanbase or the show's characters, but the other ponies were pissed off at Fluttershy for doing that.

Edited by HailTrixie
  • Brohoof 3

Just the fact that there was a winter episode before this one, but after the first Tank episode. But apparently the Episodes aren't in order?

Do you know where I can find a link to that Interview?

And I found that GoT reference to be completely Out of character for twilight to say. She doesn't talk like that.

As for Rainbow not getting punished for sabotaging the factory, I can think of two explanations:

1. Nopony knew it was her. She was never seen in the factory, And no one saw her land. I don't think there was any evidence that it was her. The only line that even implies that the others know are at the end:

Pinkie Pie: You think we could mess up winter every year? It's way less work!

Twilight Sparkle: Uh, I don't think Rainbow Dash could handle it. 

And that can easily be explained away as them thinking it was the Weather ponies who messed it up.

2. The weather ponies realized that with a bit of tinkering, they could replicate what Rainbow did in the factory, allowing them to cause winter much quicker than they have in the past.

I think it was this one but I'm not entirely sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhN6T7KpP30  Good point about Rainbow not being punished. 

• Brohoof 1

OMG at the end, I have finally found Scootaloo's dad....Proving that Scootaloo DOES have a family, which means....It's finally canon!

Edited by MAIKUN
  • Brohoof 1

I adoooored this episode. It's not often that I totally just freaking love an episode but this one is in my top three for sure. LOVED the song, enjoyed the action, plot......

and I think this is one of the first times we finally got to see the RD/Tank bond!

I thought it'd be about Tank dying slowly, but I figured they wouldn't go that way in a show like this.

• Brohoof 2

Taken from the Headscratchers page of this episode from TV Tropes.

*So according to this episode this is Rainbow's first winter with Tank. This brings two question involving time. First, if this is her first winter with Tank then what was that Hearth's Warming Eve episode then? Second, are you telling me that everything from season 2 to now has taken place over the course of less then a year?

*Considering how much happens that feels very hard to swallow.

Considering Winter Wrap Up aired before Fall Weather Friends when both episodes take place in the same year(it was confirmed in Princess Twilight Sparkle that all three previous seasons took place in a year), it's safe to say most of the episodes in those seasons are out of chronological order, so Hearth's Warming Eve could take place before May The Best Pet Win.

*"Princess Twilight Sparkle" did not confirm that all previous seasons happened in a year; Celestia's phrasing is fairly ambiguous there. As for this episode, Rainbow Dash says this will be her and Tank's "first winter together". If you really, really, really need to think that more time has passed, it's possible that Tank was somewhere else, for some reason, during the previous winter(s). It might help explain why Rainbow is so excited, having missed at least one entire season with Tank previously and not wanting this one to pass without him as well. You'd think such a thing would get a mention in the episode though, and that Rainbow would already be mentally equipped to deal with his absence, having experienced it before. In short: The writers clearly intended that less than a year passed since "May the Best Pet Win", but it's possible to make enough headcanon contortions to say that more than a year has passed.

Me: The last * states my point. Take it or leave it! Don't even try to counter it! if you wanna argue, go to the Headscratchers page of this episode on TV Tropes, and take it up with them!

The defense rests!

Edited by WiiGuy2014
  • Brohoof 1

This episode was ridiculous, and I loved it. From the animal abuse to what should be a highly criminal offense to the Game of Thrones refence. Just... wow. xDDD

Edited by Coco Pommel
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, thinking about this...when they write the episodes isn't it that they have no idea in what order they're going to be in the actual season? So the whole Hearths Warming Eve and May The Best Pet Win wouldn't stand in an argument if that's the case ._. But whatever lol.

• Brohoof 3

Ok, watching this episode for a second time....I find myself disliking it even more and finding more things wrong with it the second go-through.

Dash deliberately sabotages winter, for her own gain. In her song, she even said “I know it's wrong, but what does it matter?” which seems to directly contradict her earlier lines of “I don't wan to sabotage, but you see, I've got to try” and “I'm sorry, ponies, this has to be.” This states that she's not actually sorry, to say 'Oh, I know it's wrong, but buck it, it doesn't matter'. She knows what she's doing, knows that its wrong, but she doesn't give a flying feather, so long as she gets what she wants out of it, all so she won't be lonely without Tank (because – as shown in Mysterious mare Do well, she doesn't like being alone) Which just all boils down to selfishness and unrepentant attitude. Her “choice has long been made.” So really, there's no possible excuse tor her actions. She had it decided from the start to do whatever it takes to keep Tank with her, at any cost. So I'm pretty miffed that she goes without punishment for all of what she did. (just as I am that none of the mane 6 get punished for what they do, when they mess up) And as a pegasus who's Captain of the weather team, this is absolutely inexscusable. Not to mention there's no way somepony couldn't have seen her sneaking around in there. Like, oh, I dunno- Sunshower Raindrops, who had to have seen a pony maneuvering a cloud from the inside, when she passed overhead a mere few inches away. Or those two ponies who had to have seen RD in plain sight and talking to herself, a mere second before they passed in front of her. Anyway, I do hope somepony reports her in a later episode, and she's seen making atonement for what she did. CONTINUITY!

And the third act. Gosh, where do I begin? Fluttershy throwing the harsh reality at Dash like she did, and making her cry. OHHHHH, if it had been anypony making FLUTTERSHY cry, NO ONE would be forgiving. But It's all fine and dandy for her to make other ponies cry (let's not forget how she kept going on about RD's fears to freak her out, in Sonic Rainboom, but Luna forbid Pinkie goes and throws Flutter's fears in HER face. And Rarity gets upset over Fluttershy crying and not Rainbow Dash? Bias, much? In fact, I addressed this before: http://mlpforums.com/topic/123099-how-come-no-one-gets-mad-when-fluttershy-throws-rds-fears-in-her-face/

Rarity's reaction to Fluttershy making Dash cry. Ugh. Just a bit of confusion from Rarity, as she addressed Fluttershy's approach- barely. But when Pinkie made Flutters cry, guess who got whacked with a newspaper, like they were a bad dog who just pooped on the carpet? =_=

Fluttershy's response to Rarity, as supposed “help” for Dash to get past her anxieties. And again- issue done by Pinkie to Fluttershy in “Filli Vanilli” and guess which pony is in the wrong, after that? =_=

Twilight magically throwing Apple Jack at the issue. Um......ok, so I guess A.J is the Princess of Friendship, now, and knows best how to handle it? Ok, sure. (no, seriously. Fluttershy acted as the Element of Honesty, this episode, so why throw another element of honesty at Dash? For her to cry some more?) PRINCESS OF FRIENDSHIP! THIS IS YOUR CUE! I don't blame A.J. for giving Twi the stink eye after she did that.

Why does Twi seem to have an issue with A.J crying? Or what she thinks is A.J. crying, after she lowers her hat in front her face. Bloodless, tearless demon!

And Pinkie's line of “Aple Jack cries on the inside” makes no sense. AJ. Has been shown crying outwardly before, after Twilight came back. In “Equestria Girls”, and I think also in Applebuck season.

• Brohoof 2

S5 is on a roll! Other than Castle Sweet Castle, this season has been made up of very strong episodes so far with pretty dang consistently great characterization. Its issues seem to have come up more in plot holes and missed opportunities, which to me is probably a better way of things than bad characterization.

Okay, the things that bothered me; Rainbow Dash destroyed her home and the livelihood of migratory birds by sabotaguing her job and got exactly zero punishment for it. Her villain song wasn't very catchy to my ears and wasn't very... villainous in sound. As for the timeline, I throw my hands up in the air sometimes, saying eeee-ohhh, baby let go.

With that out of the way, this was definitely interesting. With Fluttershy's behavior in The Cutie Map and everyone's behavior in Castle Sweet Castle compounded with RD here, it makes me wonder how much the Mane 6 actually truly trust each other, which is great because it opens up conflicts; "how can old friends not even count on each other for support?". RD didn't seem to think of the possibility of her friends being there for her with Tank gone, which is really concerning.

RD's quick descent was probably from a combination of that and her deep sense of loyalty; "They won't believe in you, Tank, but I will". RD is stubborn as she is needy, and by mixing a sense of chivalry with underlying attachment issues, she went cuckoo for cocopuffs in fairly short order.

The underlying message about loss was interesting and added a real emotional undertone to the episode. Having Dashie slow down and sit with Tank as he fell asleep was a lovely, understated note to end the episode on. Cindy Morrow tends to be great at the little emotional beats and this was no exception. Glad to have her back.  :)

Oh, and, also, the episode was funny! That "Winter is coming" reference, APPLEJACK CRYING ON THE INSIDE (which is both excellent characterization and funny), the "who's on first" deal with the pegasi, Dashie's insistence on looking for a real tortoise expert being artfully ludicrous... 

Tanks for the episode, MLP crew. It's a pleasure.

i-9r32gg5-S.png

In other news, this episode marks 4/6 members of the Mane 6 including herself that Fluttershy has made cry in the course of the show. Good work, Fluttershy!
  • Brohoof 7

S5 is on a roll! Other than Castle Sweet Castle, this season has been made up of very strong episodes so far with pretty dang consistently great characterization. Its issues seem to have come up more in plot holes and missed opportunities, which to me is probably a better way of things than bad characterization.

Okay, the things that bothered me; Rainbow Dash destroyed her home and the livelihood of migratory birds by sabotaguing her job and got exactly zero punishment for it. Her villain song wasn't very catchy to my ears and wasn't very... villainous in sound. As for the timeline, I throw my hands up in the air sometimes, saying eeee-ohhh, baby let go.

With that out of the way, this was definitely interesting. With Fluttershy's behavior in The Cutie Map and everyone's behavior in Castle Sweet Castle compounded with RD here, it makes me wonder how much the Mane 6 actually truly trust each other, which is great because it opens up conflicts; "how can old friends not even count on each other for support?". RD didn't seem to think of the possibility of her friends being there for her with Tank gone, which is really concerning.

RD's quick descent was probably from a combination of that and her deep sense of loyalty; "They won't believe in you, Tank, but I will". RD is stubborn as she is needy, and by mixing a sense of chivalry with underlying attachment issues, she went cuckoo for cocopuffs in fairly short order.

The underlying message about loss was interesting and added a real emotional undertone to the episode. Having Dashie slow down and sit with Tank as he fell asleep was a lovely, understated note to end the episode on. Cindy Morrow tends to be great at the little emotional beats and this was no exception. Glad to have her back.  :)

Oh, and, also, the episode was funny! That "Winter is coming" reference, APPLEJACK CRYING ON THE INSIDE (which is both excellent characterization and funny), the "who's on first" deal with the pegasi, Dashie's insistence on looking for a real tortoise expert being artfully ludicrous... 

Tanks for the episode, MLP crew. It's a pleasure.

img-3702802-1-i-9r32gg5-S.png

In other news, this episode marks 4/6 members of the Mane 6 including herself that Fluttershy has made cry in the course of the show. Good work, Fluttershy!

I agree 100% with your sig

• Brohoof 1

Tanks for the memories... Both of my guesses for what the episode was to be were incorrect: I thought either Tank was going to die (which would be a dark subject and having a turtle die would have been an odd choice at least in terms of old age), or Tank would have wanted to leave Rainbow Dash and be independant (which also would have been odd considering his dedicated to become her pet in the first place).

Mind you I didn't really believe either of those were actually going to occur, but I wasn't sure how to interpret "Tanks for the memories" other than the two aforementioned ways.

Also that name problem with "Open Skies" and "Clear Skies"; I imagine this isn't exactly an uncommon problem in the universe.

Anyway, enjoyed the episode; too overdramatic in my opinion but I suppose overdramatic is the norm in the MLPFIM universe. 

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

@@Stellafera, thank you thank you thank you for your post!  :pinkie:  Gosh, you've summed up essentially all of my feelings about this episode and season five in general.

I think I'm in shock. Yours is about the one post in this thread that I agree with in its entirety.  :lol:

I just came here to say that. I don't actually have anything to contribute to this topic right now. Sorry.  :blush:

• Brohoof 2

An absolute gem of an episode. Dash again being one of the most the most entertaining ponies on the show. That crying scene at the end managed to be both utterly heartbreaking and laugh-out loud hilarious at the same time(how is that even possible?). First episode of the season I truly loved. 

• Brohoof 5

I say, screw the naysayers! I absolutely LOVED this episode! Seriously, 10/10. Glad to have Cindy Morrow back, and what a comeback. Nice to see more of a sensitive side of Dash, I teared up a bit seeing Dash cry that much. And nice to see Fluttershy continue to be more assertive, and the song, while some of the lyrics were a bit awkward, was still extremely catchy. Also, I don't give a shit if the continuity was thrown out the window, I still enjoyed the episode. And you know what? I knew people were going to be split on this episode because of Dash's behavior, and I was right. But so what?

Honestly, I think at this point, it's unpopular to say you like RD. 

Good day.

both utterly heartbreaking and laugh-out loud hilarious at the same time(how is that even possible?)

Haha, I felt the exact same way :P  

• Brohoof 5

OHHHHH, if it had been anypony making FLUTTERSHY cry, NO ONE would be forgiving. But It's all fine and dandy for her to make other ponies cry (let's not forget how she kept going on about RD's fears to freak her out, in Sonic Rainboom, but Luna forbid Pinkie goes and throws Flutter's fears in HER face. ...

Rarity's reaction to Fluttershy making Dash cry. Ugh. Just a bit of confusion from Rarity, as she addressed Fluttershy's approach- barely. But when Pinkie made Flutters cry, guess who got whacked with a newspaper, like they were a bad dog who just pooped on the carpet? =_=

Please don't let the reaction of a biased fandom count in your list of sins for this episode.

Fluttershy's lines didn't disagree with anything we've seen of her ("Sonic Rainboom", "It Ain't Easy Being Breezies"), so while I understand (and share! damn you Fluttershy-coddlers and your illogical hatred of Pinkie Pie!) your annoyance, I don't think it's a fair point against this episode.  :please:

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow is one of the more grounded of ponies, in that she can easily grasp common sense. It's common sense that Fluttershy would know best about Tank, especially since Rainbow got Tank from Fluttershy. I know it's supposed to be 'denial', but I must redirect to my first point on that in that case.

I actually disagree with that point.  Rainbow's not quite as grounded as Applejack is (or even Twilight, most of the time).  She's grounded at times, but that's mostly when it comes to something she's not interested in.  When she gets riled up, RD tends to make A LOT of mistakes, and the only reason she doesn't make more is because usually her friends are around to keep her levelheaded.  For example, what's the first thing that RD does in the very first episode the second that Nightmare Moon shows up?  She tries to fly right in her face, and would have too if AJ hadn't held her back!

Now, yes, Fluttershy told RD straight from the beginning that Tank had to hibernate.  But the start of the episode made it very clear that RD had been looking forward to for quite awhile now spending winter with Tank.  What happens, usually, when RD builds something up in her head, but it doesn't turn out the way she hoped it would?  Especially when it comes to her friends?  She usually stubbornly refuses to admit defeat or do her best to stop any outside force from messing with whatever plans she may have, and if the situation becomes more desperate, she tends to lose her marbles just a bit.  Again, her friends usually keep her levelheaded, but she didn't spend too much time around them this episode, especially not when she set out to stop winter entirely, so I can see how she was able to lose control so badly of her own emotions.  It's her loyalty to her friends (in this case, Tank) taken to an extreme, and it's certainly not the first time we've seen one of the Mane 6's elements that they embody actually leading to bad behavior (i.e. Rarity's generosity in Suited for Success keeping her from putting her hoof down when in her friends got demanding, Fluttershy last season being unable at first to bring herself to show the Breezies tough love because of her kind nature, etc.), so I think it's perfectly justifiable.

Now I will also say that, yes, there was clearly a continuity error with the winter bit.  But ya know what, I liked so much else about this episode that I was willing to forgive that.  The greatest movies or television programs are never flawless, nothing is; heck, sometimes the flaws themselves can be endearing in their own way.  There's a B:TAS episode from the first season where Batman fights the Clock King and ends the episode with the most horrible pun ever; when the commissioner asks if they'll ever see Clock King again, Batman says in an oh-so-cheesy fashion, "I'd say it's only a matter of time."  AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  Does that pun hurt?  Yes, you betcha.  But in an odd way, it's also just as much a part of the show as all the amazing moments of B:TAS.  So yeah, there was a continuity error; is the MLP universe going to implode on itself as a result?  Of course not.  Did it ruin the episode?  Heck to the no!  Let's just call it what it is, laugh about it, and maybe even poke fun of it in the future, but let's not seriously let this ruin any of the MLP experience.

• Brohoof 4

I just want to say Bravo to Cindy Morrow for referencing the most famous comedic exchange in recorded history, the immortal "Who's on First?" by Abbott and Costello. I really think "Tanks for the Memories" may end up being one of my all time favorites.

Sunshower: So where do these clouds go?
Open Skies: Over by Clear Skies.
Sunshower: But there's clear skies everywhere.
Clear Skies: Yo, Clear Skies right here!
Sunshower: But there's clear skies over there, too!
Clear Skies: That's Open Skies!
Sunshower: There's open skies everywhere!
Open Skies: I'm not everywhere, I'm right here!
Sunshower: [sighs] Wait. You're Open Skies, and you're Clear Skies, then what's all that?
Clear Skies and Open Skies: Open, clear skies!
Open Skies: Hey, where'd our fluffy clouds go?
Clear Skies: Fluffy Clouds? He's over there!

Let's not forget another absolute gem of a reference.

Rainbow_Grinch.jpg

• Brohoof 8

Before watching, I actually thought Tank was gonna kick the bucket...glad that didn't happen.

Now I am left wondering how everypony got up to RD's house and walk around there, remember the rule saying only pegasi (and alicorns) can live on clouds?

• Brohoof 2

After being disappointed by "Castle, Sweet Castle", I was relieved to see that this episode fulfilled the feels quota I was hoping for as I felt like this dealt with loss better.

Especially when it came to Rainbow Dash being angry and unable to accept that Tank had to leave, which is even more saddening when one realizes that all of her friends will still have their pets around while he is hibernating.

It could also just be my imagination, but I thought the piano background music playing while Rainbow Dash infiltrated the Weather Factory sounded a lot like "The Rainbow Factory".

Dash also did end up getting punished in a form of ironic karmic retribution when she accidentally accelerated winter's arrival, instead of stopping completely as she had planned.

Plus, we finally got a Rainbow Dash solo song.

• Brohoof 3

I just want to say Bravo to Cindy Morrow for referencing the most famous comedic exchange in recorded history, the immortal "Who's on First?" by Abbott and Costello. I really think "Tanks for the Memories" may end up being one of my all time favorites.

Sunshower: So where do these clouds go?

Open Skies: Over by Clear Skies.

Sunshower: But there's clear skies everywhere.

Clear Skies: Yo, Clear Skies right here!

Sunshower: But there's clear skies over there, too!

Clear Skies: That's Open Skies!

Sunshower: There's open skies everywhere!

Open Skies: I'm not everywhere, I'm right here!

Sunshower: [sighs] Wait. You're Open Skies, and you're Clear Skies, then what's all that?

Clear Skies and Open Skies: Open, clear skies!

Open Skies: Hey, where'd our fluffy clouds go?

Clear Skies: Fluffy Clouds? He's over there!

Let's not forget another absolute gem of a reference

This was seriously one of the greatest episodes as far as references go ever!  Mind you, those weren't the only great things about it, but they were amazing all the same!  Oh, and Owlowiscious can jump off a cliff for all I care the next time he tries to do his stupid "Hoo" gag again, cause THAT'S ^^^^^ how you do a bucking "Who's on First?" reference, you stupid, useless owl!!!  :okiedokielokie:

• Brohoof 4

Before watching, I actually thought Tank was gonna kick the bucket...glad that didn't happen.

Now I am left wondering how everypony got up to RD's house and walk around there, remember the rule saying only pegasi (and alicorns) can live on clouds?

O. I wasn't the only one who thought that. And remember that there is a spell that allows non-pegasi to walk on clouds.

• Brohoof 2

I know I've heard that phrase somewhere before seeing this episode but I can't remember what exactly.  What the BUCK was that a reference to????????

Wait, really?  No one's answered your question yet???  Well, apparently somepony's not a Game of Thrones fan.  B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxhknGARGt4

That answer your question?  :catface:

• Brohoof 1

Don't forget. In "Sonic Rainboom" Twilight found a much easier spell than granting wings to Rarity. She found a way to let Earth ponies and Unicorns walk on clouds. All she had to do was teleport Pinkie, Rarity, and Applejack after using the cloudwalking spell again

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 2