Did you like it?  

343 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Well, this episode may very well be the closest thing the show deals with the demise of a loved one, even if Tank wasn't dying, RD acted quite a lot as if he were on his last toes, even passing through the 5 stages of grief. While this concept was carried decently, I agree with everyone that Rainbow's method of trying to stop winter was utterly reckless and destructive, not to mention she got away with it. But given the show's strong continuity and the fact it constantly references past episodes, there's some likelihood that in a future episode we may see a small nod to Rainbow's sabotage in the form of any major authority of the factory berating her for what she did, or something similar. But yeah, it's overall a heartwarming, if rather saddening, episode.

Also, epic Game of Thrones reference is epic :)

It's been addressed earlier in the thread.  The writers have said that the 'slice of life' episodes are not in chronological order, so it's possible that Hearth's Warming Eve took place before May The Best Pet Win, which leaves no winter episodes between it and Tanks for the Memories.

Right I didn't think of that but the ep. still doesn't feel right to me.

I just thought of a way for Rainbow dash to escape punishment for ruining the Weather Factory. He happens to be best Friends with Discord's Best Friend Fluttershy. I'd bet that Discord could fix the whole city in an hour, and he was reformed in order to use his magic for good anyway.

Yeah, that's the thing - despite some other forum members' suggestions that I should "turn my brain off" and just enjoy the show, I don't feel like I could just "turn by brain off" when watching the show, even if I wanted to, which I don't, really.

It's good that you don't do that. Your brain controls the respiratory and cardiovascular functions vital to sustaining life. You would die.

Before anyone jumps in to say that that's not what "turn your brain off" means... I know. I'm giving that suggestion the dismissal it (imo, of course) deserves.

• Brohoof 1

As to Dash's 1st winter with Tank.  If you accept that the 1st 3 Seasons took place over only 1 year, then this is possible.  It simply means May the Best Pet Win took place after Winter Wrap Up.  (I've been working on a timeline & a LOT has to happen between Winter Wrap Up & Magical Mystery Cure)

To me, a bigger fault is they seem to be saying Winter starts w  the Running of the Leaves (I put that at the Autumn Equinox, Sept 21) & it flat out ain't possible for Winter to start much before the Winter Soltice (Dec 21).  At the least, there can't be much snow before late November (just isn't time for everything to happen in 1 year if it snows that early) 

• Brohoof 2

Is it me or did Rainbow Dash act like Tank was going to die? I mean the way she acted in the episode was like somepony going through a permanent loss instead 

of a temporary one. She displayed classic emotions related to grief in the episode. 

• Brohoof 2

I honestly didn't like how blunt Fluttershy was with RD... I mean, Fluttershy wouldn't do that, right?

Sometimes forcing someone to face the truth instead of sheltering them from it is the kindest thing you can do.  That's practically the lesson she learned in "It's Not Easy Being Breezies" after all, so it makes sense here.

• Brohoof 6

Sometimes forcing someone to face the truth instead of sheltering them from it is the kindest thing you can do.  That's practically the lesson she learned in "It's Not Easy Being Breezies" after all, so it makes sense here.

I feel like it was an appropriate use of her growing character. After all, she wasn't stone cold. She still hugged and cried with Dashie.  ;)

• Brohoof 3

Well, it seems to be accepted by fans that Tank's hibernation is a metaphor for dying.  The consensus seems to be this is as close to death as Hasbro is going to go (Fair is fair, this is a cartoon (in part) for preschoolers)

AJ's parents are MIA & the consensus is they are dead (IMO, this is partially why she left the farm for a while).  AJ has had to learn to handle her grief & doesn't show it as much)  On the one hand, this makes her closer to Dash because she knows what it is like.  On the other hand, she probably thinks Dash is overreacting . 

As to Dash not knowing about hibernation.  In Winter Wrap Up she is handling the weather & migrating birds, not really dealing w animals.  She can be pretty oblivious to stuff she is not directly concerned with (although, this is pushing it even for her)

As to Dash not knowing about hibernation.  In Winter Wrap Up she is handling the weather & migrating birds, not really dealing w animals.  She can be pretty oblivious to stuff she is not directly concerned with (although, this is pushing it even for her)

I don't think it was really not knowing about hibernation.  She was going through denial at that point, after all.

I don't think it was really not knowing about hibernation.  She was going through denial at that point, after all.

Fluttershy: He's just going to Hibernate.

Dash: You do realize he's not a bear, right? (Hi-bear-nate)

Unless that small thing was done solely for funnies, it seemed like it was her first time hearing the word lol

• Brohoof 1

Well, the fact that Tank is going to just hybernate, and the cartoony cries of Dashie stopped me to take the situation seriously to be honest, but, I love how smart the writers were to tackle the topic of death without making it evident with the target audience, but to the older.An episode that mad you laugh when you watch it, but later gives you feels, deserves a spot for one of the best episodes ever made in MLP  :(

Fluttershy: He's just going to Hibernate.

Dash: You do realize he's not a bear, right? (Hi-bear-nate)

Unless that small thing was done solely for funnies, it seemed like it was her first time hearing the word lol

I don't think that was it, it's just that nearly everyone knows that bears hibernate.  It's one of those thinks that is common knowledge.  But if you ask the average person, "Do tortoises hibernate?" you will get a bunch of, "Gee, I don't know."

• Brohoof 3

I don't think that was it, it's just that nearly everyone knows that bears hibernate.  It's one of those thinks that is common knowledge.  But if you ask the average person, "Do tortoises hibernate?" you will get a bunch of, "Gee, I don't know."

I would assume so. I'm probably a bit different because I actually had a pet tortoise when I was a kid. It was a desert tortoise and he was...well really slow and sleepy 80% of the time. Tortoises are one of the most chill animals on the planet. 

• Brohoof 1

This one seems to be getting some extreme reactions, but personally, I think there's a reason it's beating the other episodes in these polls. (And we were due for a comfirmation that Rainbow loves her tortoise so much after the hinting at it from Just for Sidekicks.) 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBx-UGAT4_Q

Edited by The Second Opinion

I wonder if Hasbro knows that the title of this episode (Tanks for the Memories: which, by the way, I love) has already been taken in Pokemon Season 11 Episode 10.

Edited by MJDudeK

Anyone catch The Three Stooges reference? Or is it more of a "Who's on First?" reference?

My two cents, er bits, er...

I wasn't expecting Rainbow's solo to be this episode, and DAMN she appears to me to have some some deep rooted issues about letting things go. I can understand not wanting to let go of Tank but she didn't have to go so far as to nuke Ponyville with a friggen winter bomb!!

And jeez, if that's not what she considers angry, I'd hate to see her angry!

To top it all off, the Grinch reference was a brilliant welcome little addition to this episode.

Edited by Mustang D
  • Brohoof 1