Did you like it?  

343 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

So yesterday I watched this episode with my mother, and she really had fun with it! She missed, though, that Tanks' hibernation was somewhat an allegory to death, but I didn't mention that to not ruin the fun :P. She asked about how Rainbow Dash met Tank, then we also watched together the episode "May the best pet win". I can say it was a good time with family ^_^.

• Brohoof 2

At first,  I didn't really get why Rainbow was so upset over Tank's hibernation. After all, he'd be back when winter's over. Now, however, I get it. My girlfriend's in another country for nine months for her graduation thesis, and I miss her insanely much. She'll be back, and I speak to her daily, but still. Unlike Rainbow, though, I never tried to stop her from going. In fact, I encouraged her to do it.

For some reason part of me felt sorry for her but the other half just felt like saying: "Oh shut up you stupid bitch."

I don't get why you guys feel so bad for her. Rainbow Dash is a terrible character most of the time. And this isn't the first time she's treated her friends like crap when they were only trying to help her. But I probably shouldn't get started on that.

I honestly do believe you shouldn't get started on that. Many would disagree with you that she's a terrible character - myself included.

But I do agree with you on one thing, this episode may be her worst appearance yet. It makes me ashamed to be a Rainbow Dash fan, actually, considering she was never this shallow in Wonderbolts Academy, or in Hurricane Fluttershy, or even in Griffonstone. What happened?

Just remember that aside from all the bronies and pegasisters, there are some little girls who watch this. Also remember that Rainbow is the Element of LOYALTY, so loyal to her pet that she grieved over him just hibernating. Seriously, do u even know the character of Dashie?

That's not an excuse. If you're going to portray death you should do it properly, regardless if it's a "kid's show" or not. There are other kid's shows that were much more blatant about the death metaphor and did it much better. If they felt like they couldn't tackle such a topic within the show then they shouldn't have done it to begin with. If anything, I'm surprised more people don't see this as a spit upon the face of those who are going through grief themselves.

Also, if she were truly embodying her element in this particular episode, then she would've let him hibernate. He needs it for his survival. If anything, she's just being selfish. That's the issue with the episode; if he was about to die, then yes, it would be poignant, but all that's happening is he'll be sleeping for a few months, and instead of letting him get the rest that he very well needs in order to, you know, live, she's trying to deny him of it because she can't bear the thought of going a winter without him constantly awake for her own pleasure.

I must admit. Seeing Rainbow Dash cry made me feel very sorry for her. I know that feel when you think you may not see somepony else you love ever again. You know what they say: The longer you stay together, the sadder the part.

Look at her. The feels are strong in this clip...and back then I didn't expect Rainbow Dash to cry that much. Poor pegasus...

Except she is going to see him again. In fact, she can still see him while he sleeps. He's just not going to be active for a while.

Edited by Lady Bow
  • Brohoof 2

I was disappointed with RD in this episode. All that happened is that her tortoise had to hibernate for a few months, yet she got incredibly emotional over it. Why? For one, it's a pet, not a sister or family member or anything. For two, it's only a few months and it's part of nature. She got angry at her friends and sabatoged the Cloudsdale wheather machine just so she didn't have to say goodbye to her pet. And then when she did, she bawled over it. That's not like her at all, and it's way over the top.

On a more positive note, I did enjoy her song. But her character was just really out of place. At least there are many better episodes of her.

• 1 month later...

Rainbow Dash is my favorite show character, and I thought it was kind of mean when Fluttershy made Dash cry. Now of course, she was already feeling bad, but I think Fluttershy made it worse. Her element is Kindness, but that wasn't exactly Kindness at all.

Rainbow Dash is my favorite show character, and I thought it was kind of mean when Fluttershy made Dash cry. Now of course, she was already feeling bad, but I think Fluttershy made it worse. Her element is Kindness, but that wasn't exactly Kindness at all.

She did it because she knew Rainbow Dash wouldn't be able to accept Tank having to hibernate unless she was forced to face the truth about it.  It's like when she had to force the breezies to leave her home; sometimes kindness can be harsh, but it doesn't make it any less kind in the end.

• Brohoof 2

This episode is a perfect example of why we as fans love this show so much. It's not shallow. It's not just pretty colors. It's sad; it is hard to watch without crying; and it goes way beyond the subject matter of your average cartoon show. Name another cartoon show on Saturday morning that has discussed the Kubler-Ross model. I cry everytime I watch this episode, because I am reminded throughout of the inevitable truth that Rainbow Dash will have to face. I can't say it is perfect, but it is very near it. In my book 10/10!

• Brohoof 2

There sence that really annoyed me, it where four of the mane 6 end up crying then when Twilight try to calm things Pinkie think she not sad and say Applejack on the inside and Applejack reply with it truth, it annoyed me. Do they want Twilight Sparkle to cry like them to see she sad. Why you need to cry to know you're sad. Applejack do show some tears during the season.

• 4 weeks later...

Really really enjoyed this one, not just because we got to hear a proper Rainbow Dash song, but all the references involved too! "Tanks for the memories", the Grinch face and Twilight's "Winter is Coming" really made this episode a treat to enjoy! The plot in itself was very well done too, quite the emotional rollercoaster. All in all, good work Cindy Morrow!

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Btw, I wanna address something about the crying scene. Some fans who don't like this episode get confused as to why Dashie's crying so hard over Tank, as we've hardly seen her play with him since Season 2. However, I think her meltdown at the end was more than just her crying over her pet.

Prior to this episode, Dash has been shown to be very stubborn over her emotions. Sure, she gets panicky and upset at times, but we're never actually seen her CRY or deeply sad before. Probably because she doesn't wanna be seen like that as she thinks it would affect other ponies' image of her. For example, we see towards the end of "The Last Roundup" that she's slightly crying but she's quick to try and hide her tears. So, if anything, I think Dashie has a nasty habit of bottling up her sadness and try to hide any ideas that she's scared or depressed (If you've seen Inside Out, the ending to this episode is early similar to the end of THAT movie, too). So her hysterical crying at the end of this episode was everything from not only the events here, but 4 plus seasons prior worth of bottled emotions coming out at once. I'm kinda shocked none else in the Brony community has considered this!

That said, let's celebrate 1 year of a fun episode, and give RD a nice big hug:

Also, regarding that "Applejack cries on the inside" comment.....

*looks towards Applejack whilst holding a bowl of onions and a photo of her parents*

YOU'RE NEXT!

Edited by MovieLord101
  • Brohoof 3

Also, regarding that "Applejack cries on the inside" comment..... *looks towards Applejack whilst holding a bowl of onions and a photo of her parents* YOU'RE NEXT!

HOLY CRAP, THAT'S A MASSIVE APPLEJACK ROAST!!!!

Too bad that Applejack's parents are dead. I don't why the show would say something like that. That's just wrong to everyone that likes the show.

HOLY CRAP, THAT'S A MASSIVE APPLEJACK ROAST!!!!

Too bad that Applejack's parents are dead. I don't why the show would say something like that. That's just wrong to everyone that likes the show.

HAVE they said they're dead? Cause that just seems to be fan head cannon next to Scootalo being an alleged orphan (I think Scootaloo DOES have parents, she's just too busy to ever mention them). All we've gotten so far was one like from AJ last season telling Apple Bloom that "Mom and Dad would be proud of you". For all we know, her parents might only be ASSUMED to be dead and might've ended up somewhere else with amnesia. I've seen that kind of plot bit happen on other shows!

Edited by MovieLord101

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Some people's reactions to this episode proves that Rainbow Dash is just too complex and multi-dimensional for them.

Even if what she did was wrong, there's a hell of a lot more to consider when it it comes to why she did it, and it sure as hell wasn't just because "she's selfish". There's way more to her than that.

I only really find the conflict here compelling if I read way more into it than it actually offers. Has Rainbow Dash had trouble dealing with loss in the past? Is the whole deal that she's never lost anything before? If so, I wish the episode actually addressed it, because while I do recognize and care about Rainbow's close relationship with Tank, having her sabotage the weather factory because Tank is just gonna hibernate for a few months comes across as childish, and it's hard to sympathize with. The ending, where she's bawling and needs her friends to patronizingly calm her down, only emphasizes the feeling of immaturity, and to be quite frank, I think this is way less satisfying than her unflattering depictions in season 6. "Newbie Dash" has its issues, but at least it figured out how to get Rainbow to show legitimate emotion and insecurity without making her feel like she has the mental state of a small child. At least stuff like the "Who's on first?" routine is really funny, although the faces here are really more obnoxious than anything else. 

• 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, IronCaptain19 said:

Why doesn't rainbow dash just go to California, Arizona, Florida or Mexico. It's warm there

Dear Princess Celestia: Rainbow Dash just asked me how to get to "California", "Arizona", "Florida" or "Mexico".  She said they're nice and warm during the winter.  I've never heard of these places.  Do you know anything about them?  Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.

• Brohoof 4

5 minutes ago, Pixel Stick said:

Dear Princess Celestia: Rainbow Dash just asked me how to get to "California", "Arizona", "Florida" or "Mexico".  She said they're nice and warm during the winter.  I've never heard of these places.  Do you know anything about them?  Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.

Dear Twilight,

Please accept the enclosed space heater and bottle of sunscreen. Give them with my regards to Rainbow Dash. Tell her to suck it up and use her imagination like the rest of us. Or go to the dragon lands. I understand it is great there this time of year.

Sincerely yours,
Princess Celestia

P.S. Don't use any dimension tearing spells to find these places. We know what happened the last time you did it.

• Brohoof 5

On 5/3/2017 at 3:59 PM, Pixel Stick said:

On 5/3/2017 at 4:10 PM, GrimGrimoire said:

Dear Twilight,

Please accept the enclosed space heater and bottle of sunscreen. Give them with my regards to Rainbow Dash. Tell her to suck it up and use her imagination like the rest of us. Or go to the dragon lands. I understand it is great there this time of year.

Sincerely yours,
Princess Celestia

P.S. Don't use any dimension tearing spells to find these places. We know what happened the last time you did it.

As the creator of this topic I hereby award you both with this token of my appreciation for your success at making me laugh for a minute straight. 

6ca.gif

• Brohoof 3

• 7 months later...

this is the first episode to really pulled at my heartstrings and I felt very bad for rainbow dash, and I find Rainbow's relationship's with tank to be the cutest thing ever

• Brohoof 1