Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your first roller coaster ride and where was it?

Metallic Strings

This actually prompted me to look up the name of our local amusement park's roller coaster. The VORTEX at Calaway Park, which is a very small coaster so they run you through it twice each time you ride (at least that was the case when I was a kid). In hindsight, it is a very tame coaster but I was pretty scared first time I rode it. Main concern was my glasses flying off in the upside down bit so I held my hands up to my face so that wouldn't happen. Probably not a valid concern but I was so convinced it would happen.

I have no idea.

But I LOVE coasters.  My friends and I used to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain every new year's, and we had some wacky games we would play on the rides.  Most people hold on for dear life and scream on coasters, but we would create these challenges to see who could be the most nonchalant.  We would have staring contests and play rock paper sisssors on the coasters.  We would carry on conversations.  We'd eat snacks.  Basically, the goal was to see who could do the best job of acting like you're just sitting quietly at home.  Our favorite thing to do was mess with the other riders.  We would twist around backwards and stare at the people in behind us for the whole ride.  Sometimes we'd make funny faces.  Sometimes we'd just glare.  Most people didn't even notice, which is pretty funny.  Last time I went there, I decided to do the no hands challenge.  Every coaster in the park with no hands.  Pretty easy, really.  Sadly, I don't live near any decent coaster parks now.

Edited by Justin_Case001

• 1 year later...

My first roller coaster was a mini coaster at the most (ghetto) amusement park ever!

But that was my really first roller coaster.

My first REAL (or general) roller coaster was Ninja at Six Flags Magic Mountain

I've ridden this over 70 times since I first rode it in 2004. I hope Six Flags never dismantles this coaster.

Suspended coasters are very unique  :twi:

MagicMountainMay32009056.jpg

• Brohoof 1

My first was the Matterhorn at Disneyland. It may be tame by most standards nowadays, but when I rode it at age six, I was terrified (in a good way). My dad was seated behind me with his arm wrapped around me and I didn't realize I was digging my fingernails into his arm until after the ride when he showed me the marks. I think he still has them.  :please:

• Brohoof 3

My first was thunder run in wonderland when I was like 7-8 years old. I mostly stuck to the kids area, but I saw the roller coaster a lot that day. It kind of goes in and out of a mountain. I thought it looked neat and I kept saying to my parents, "I wanna go on the yellow train!", then my dad finally got tired of it and said "You wanna go? Let's go..." 

Of course, I was completely terrified. The whole day I had been riding the calmer rides in the kids area and the inner tube raft ride was pretty much the most extreme thing we did that day. It felt like the ride was lasting forever and towards the end, I yelled "I want off this ride!" "Too late", my dad calmly responded, "it's already over." Haven't touched a roller coaster since. A treasured memory, to be sure :)

The first and only roller coaster I have ever been on was the coaster form Holidog's Funtown within Holiday World at Santa Claus Indiana. Yes, we have a town called Santa Claus. I have always been terrified of roller coasters and I thought that since this one was more of a 'kiddie coaster' I would enjoy it, nope. Wasn't fond of it. Haven't been on a coaster since, never will be. XD

I have always been terrified of roller coasters and I thought that since this one was more of a 'kiddie coaster' I would enjoy it, nope. Wasn't fond of it. Haven't been on a coaster since, never will be. XD

Finally someone who has my same opinion on roller coasters. I am so not into going up and down and upside down and twisting. The first one I remember is Space Mountain at Disneyland, and I remember hating it.
  • Brohoof 1

Space Mountain at Disney World.

I've done scarier ones since, although I still can't do the massive 200ft ones yet. I'm hoping to work my way up to those eventually.

That said, Space Mountain is still one of my favourite rides of all time and I always make sure to do it a few times whenever I go back to Florida :)

• Brohoof 2

I'm not that big into roller coasters. If kiddie coasters count, the first one I rode on was the Little Dipper at Quassy Park when I was 4. I don't remember much about the ride other than my dad losing his hat on it.

The only "real" roller coaster I've ever ridden on was Mulholland Madness at Disney's California Adventure.

My first ride was when Six Flags Discover Kingdom was still called Six Flags Marine World in Vallejo, California. It was an antiquated wooden coaster by the name of "ROAR". It was bumpy and rough but that didn't matter because I was holding on to dear life when I was younger. Ever since that, no more coasters for me!

Can't remember if it was California Screamin' from Disney's California Adventure, Matterhorn or Space Mountain

When I was about 10 I was kinda terrified of rollercoasters, so the first time I rode something it was just the Blue Streak at Cedar Point. It was okay for the first time. For my eleventh birthday my dad and I rode every rollercoaster there (The Wicked Twister doesn't count) and the second time riding the Blue Streak wasn't that great.

I honestly don't remember how old I was but it was at Cedar Point.  It was one of the older ones made mostly with wood, it was around the back but not quite.  We would always ride that one whenever we went to Cedar Point.  Called ,"Cedar Creek Mine Ride".

• 2 weeks later...

The Scenic Railway at Luna Park, Melbourne, which just so happens to be the world's oldest continually-operating roller coaster in the world. How's that for an introduction :smug:

Actually (don't judge me here ;) ) The oldest operating roller coaster in the World is "Leap the dips" at Lakemont Park.

I opened in 1903. But I consider the Scenic Railway "better" than leap the dips  :icwudt:

Big Thunder Mountain in Disney World was my first.

Followed by The Rattler at Fiesta Texas in San Antonio (now it's Six Flags: Fiesta Texas....and not better for it. Yes I've been bitter for 20 years).

I'd show you Space Mountain in Disney...but it's dark in there. :P

• 3 years later...