Did you like it?  

229 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I thought this Episode was good. Uh...yeah, thats all i can say, im just confused as to why they didnt got their Cutie Marks here, because i was pretty sure they...i guess i cant talk about future things here, because that would be a spoiler, i might just missunderstood something.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

Alright, I get it now. This one's about self-pity. Trouble Shoes was always expecting things to go wrong, and so he always did, and he didn't know how to make the best of his clumsiness. There's something to that, and I quite enjoyed how this just blitzes through plot to get to the finish. The rodeo clown scene is plenty of fun, too, and Braeburn is hilarious. I'm a little unsure why the sheriff is so harsh on Trouble Shoes, as he's so clumsy and dour you'd think his accidents were obvious, and the way Applejack just keeps ignoring the CMC is obnoxious. Those are minor things, though; the thing which still nags at me is just how insistent this is on showing bad things happen to him. Clearly he understood his cutie mark was rodeo-related, and it might not be the cutie mark that's making him so clumsy, but nonetheless he does seem somehow cursed, which is a bit odd. Maybe he's just not making enough of an effort to pay attention to his surroundings and be more cautious. I guess that ties back into the theme of not always blaming something else for everything which happens, but I do wish that were addressed a little more. In any case, I liked this a fair bit more this time around.

Score:
Entertainment: 7/10
Characters: 7/10
Themes: 8/10
Story: 7/10

Overall: 73/100

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This episode was overall just boring. Maybe it needed another minor plot.

The ending with showing the CMCs in trouble was kind of strange. I wish they had pointed out that they tried to tell the truth, but no one let them sleep. Then helping Trouble Hooves became their priority precisely because they couldn’t speak.

Also, who gives their kid a name like that? He was doomed by his own name from the start.

On 7/14/2015 at 9:59 PM, Nikola Xerdav said:

and now we learn from season 5 that you can actually get a destiny, have a soul, that is against your will?!  i thought Cutie Marks were at least a mark of your true will, but Trouble Hooves is one of the most unfortunate souls.  there is a theory that Diamond Tiara hates herself secretly, knowing that her destiny is decided as a spoiled brat, only fuels her to hate others even more, but this is merely speculation.

I believe this theory myself, especially with Silver Spoon. At least Diamond Tiara is a leader. Silver Spoon has nothing. This episode seems to confirm that it can happen.

• 1 month later...

I quite enjoyed the episode. It was funny and intense, in some ways.

I kind of disagree with the moral, though. Trouble Shoes's dream was to become a rodeo star, but because having a bad luck was his destiny, he couldn't become one. In the end, he just becomes a rodeo clown, despite his original dream. I get that what the writers intended to say was that there is a positive side to anything that just seems negative, but the fact that there was no way to overcome his fate and achieve his dream just felt wrong for me.

• 3 months later...

Once again the lore on Cutie Marks is destroyed. Aren't Cutie Marks based on talent? Being clumsy and falling over all the time is not a talent. Even though he becomes a clown, he is still shown falling over at home. Apparently now Cutie Marks can make life miserable even though they're supposed to be based on what the pony already enjoyed and was good at. Why did the Cutie Mark appear at the time it did? Trouble Shoes wasn't applying for Clown School. He didn't enjoy making ponies laugh. He didn't want to be a clown, yet his Mark for being a clown appeared. 

And instead of delving into any nuance of someone disliking their Cutie Mark or learning to appreciate it, the episode tries to convince the audience that now Trouble Shoes enjoys being a clown when literally everything else in the episode says otherwise. It's less of Trouble Shoes realizing what he wants to do with his life and more of the CMC and fate deciding for him. And how he has to suck it up and live with it. That's a very uncomfortable thought and the episode doesn't address it. Once again, this season attempts to tackle a serious message, but simplifies it to the point of not having any nuance and being a mess. What should've happened is Trouble Shoes learning for himself what his Cutie Mark means and how he wants to address it. And the episode doesn't even bring up the fact that Trouble Shoes is going to be falling around all the time outside of clowning and how bad that's going to be. I guess that's just fate. Garbage.

And aside from that, the episode is boring. The lack of nuance makes the story really flat and uninteresting and the comedy is not there at all.

Score: 1/10

Edited by bigbertha

• 2 years later...

I absolutely hate how they treated Trouble Shoes's arc in this episode. The fact that he aspired to be a rodeo star and just mess things up was quite sad. I feel for the guy, he didn't mean no harm and the fact that they had to relegate him into a clown feels downright insulting. I wish he got revenge on those ponies, and there was some sort of alternative lesson about acceptance and what can happen when you treat someone poorly, and then they want revenge or something of that nature. Not really sure how to word it but I honestly found the part where he was laughed at to be quite grating, I feel for the guy. I've been there. 

I wish he achieved his dream, his true dream and not just...becoming a clown. That doesn't really make sense to me. I just find it hurtful, really. They say a clown is happy when in fact he is often sad because he probably feels laughed at deep down.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
On 2021-04-27 at 1:10 AM, Props ValRoa said:

I absolutely hate how they treated Trouble Shoes's arc in this episode. The fact that he aspired to be a rodeo star and just mess things up was quite sad. I feel for the guy, he didn't mean no harm and the fact that they had to relegate him into a clown feels downright insulting. I wish he got revenge on those ponies, and there was some sort of alternative lesson about acceptance and what can happen when you treat someone poorly, and then they want revenge or something of that nature. Not really sure how to word it but I honestly found the part where he was laughed at to be quite grating, I feel for the guy. I've been there. 

I wish he achieved his dream, his true dream and not just...becoming a clown. That doesn't really make sense to me. I just find it hurtful, really. They say a clown is happy when in fact he is often sad because he probably feels laughed at deep down.

To be fair, it's not always possible to achieve one's initial dream, and the idea of turning a weakness into a strength is a totally legitimate message. But you do have a valid point in that the episode casually glossed over the fact that Trouble Shoes did not, technically speaking, achieve the career goal he was aiming for. Plus all those years of being afraid to even keep trying to achieve his dream for fear of being laughed at were swept under the rug the moment he sees that he can make a career out of being laughed at.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Thoughts on this one haven't changed since when I last saw it. It wasn't really funny to me, either. It must suck having to have lived alone for all those years because Trouble Shoes couldn't do what he wanted without fear of being laughed at because of his "Special Talent." I get what they tried to teach in this episode but it just falls flat on it's face. Its okay to not fully achieve your dreams and that should have been the lesson, but I wish that there was a scene in where Trouble Shoes expressed how he felt - hated, abandoned, and mocked because of things he couldn't control about himself and then there being a scene where the ponies come to an understanding that he couldn't control it and that there is a lesson in acceptance.