Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Advice on how to come up with art designs from scratch?

Katie Fire

So here is my OC

my_oc_1080p_by_skoffepony-d8rabbl.png

The problem I am facing is that I have so many ideas for art I would like to create with this but every time I attempt, it goes wrong. I'm guessing this is common in beginners xD but I was wondering how other people have managed to find ways around this problem. The thing I am trying to avoid is tracing and making images from scratch.

• Brohoof 2

• 5 years later...
(edited)

Artist's are thieves! It's a good thing to closely look at things you like, because they look different in our minds and are lacking the details and complexity. If you have an idea you want to realize, look for something similar. :) Like @StarrySkyDash said: references.

Even if art is 2D, it's good to have an understanding on how they would look in 3D, how they work.

I love your drawing, though! How you handle thick and thin lines. Lovely! :fluttershy:

Edit: And I just realize how old this topic is! :D

Edited by Cloudy Heart
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Drawing random poses are a very good place to start. It doesn't matter if they are just crude stick figures or mannequins made of various circles and ovals. A pose alone can give you a lot of inspiration on where you want to go next. So just get a random sketch pad if you draw traditionally, or just open a fresh page on your art program of choice and start drawing random poses. They don't have to be good, all they need to do is present a feeling of where you'd like to go next with the drawing. Then just add random details that you feel inspired to add.

Edited by Treeglow Flicker
  • Brohoof 1

References ALWAYS help!!!  Finding tutorials helps too.  I find that using a mixture of references and tutorials always helps me with whatever I'm drawing.  I think it'd also be helpful to look into tutorials and painting tutorials too to help you understand basic shapes, how to add 3d elements to a drawing, etc.  Just try not to compare your art with other people's, make sure you do a warm-up sketch and I also think this site has a good reference post somewhere in the art section.

• Brohoof 1

First of all, tracing is fine. You can trace your own art over and over until it becomes interesting. That is my style. I keep creating a new layer, and trace over the best parts of my previous image, and if it doesn't get better, I delete and try again.

Take features you would like to see the most in your pony and start from there (I always find hair the most fun to draw :yay:). Take the reference you have and modify it to your liking. Eventually you will have a comfortable style to work with.