Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think FiM should remain focused on girls, or should it shift to bronies?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

No. What needs to happen is people need to stop acting like it's a bad thing when other people go outside their gender roles and stop feeling threatened. If a man likes girlly stuff, he's not a gay pedophile! If he is gay, so what? Liking girl stuff won't affect your sexual attraction! 

• Brohoof 3

It should probably stay the way it is right now. It doesn't really need to be changed at all, so just keeping it where it is at is completely fine.

The show for me, I always thought that it was well written, and it also makes me happy when I watch it. The tv shows now days are full of violence and drama that just makes you feel bad but for some reason I want to keep watching to see what happens xP. But MLP has a vibe that everything will be ok in the end despite their being drama and always makes me happy to watch. I can watch the show when I'm feeling bad and feel better unlike most the shows now days that are full of violence and drama, just make you stressed out. While MLP has some darker episode it never goes full on target of bronies. Which just saying, the statistics of bronies would probably show they like drama shows. So I wouldn't want to watch the show if it targeted an audience of adults who like drama. Because then it would become what the audience wants, drama and voilence. I like the happy endings and happy vibes MLP gives off. It wouldn't give off those same vibes if it had a full on targeted audience of bronies. It would turn into an adult show, which is bleh to me. I like kids movies and tv shows. As well as south park, cuz those episodes cheer me up too XD

Honestly, the thought of the show being written to only cater to bronies is just downright frightening to me. It's bad enough that we'll be receiving one episode which is pretty much confirmed to exist only for fanservice, but the whole damn show? 

I agree. Keep it for little girls. That's what Lauren Faust's vision was and that's part of what made us all fans of the show in the first place.  :)

If it geared more towards us, it would lose what made us love in the first place!

If it were to switch from targeting girls to bronies it would lose what makes it so special.

Exactly.  This has been said enough times already, I guess I don't really need to reiterate it again.

I feel FiM should just appeal to both. If it only appealed to Bronies it would be a pretty niche show. And I'm okay with this show doing seemingly girly things like princesses or EG as long as they don't pander to girls with girly cliches.

The show has actually already been targeting more towards the family group as a whole. It still has it's "girly" elements but just as well it has it's boy ones and even parent ones as some of the characters actually reference older shows/movies that only the parents would get. (With the exception of any son/daughter those parents had that may have watched those movies with them)

But I don't think anything needs to change right now. Just look at season 5. Pretty much everyone is loving it. Things are perfect the way they are right now.

Edited by Felix

• 1 year later...

Just leave it the way it is. Everything that exists today is because of what it is. The entire fandom for better or worse was built around this show exactly as it stands now. Who cares if anyone finds it girly or lame.... then the show is obviously not for them,... they can bugger off. To change the show to suit another demographic or tailoring it to try and somehow "fix it" (when it is not broken to begin with) would basically be saying that all the people who ARE NOT fans of the show are better than the fans of the show themselves somehow. Bronies got into this show exactly as it is, they did not create or join this fandom only to halfway through it have it stolen from them and be replaced by a kids show or something. It has always been that way.... did they just now somehow discover this? Where the hell have they been the last few years? Changing it to suit those complaining, would pretty much be saying those who love the show, helped grow the show and the entire fandom we are all a part of now... who made this exactly what it is today for all of us to enjoy... are the ones who are wrong.

Honestly, I think it'll depend on how well the Guardians of Harmony spin-off line does. Hasbro knows bronies and male fans exist, but they've never specifically catered to boys until GOH. Maybe if Hasbro sees the potential profits in marketing towards boys as well as girls, they may have DHX shift the show in a more gender-neutral direction.

Whether that's a good thing or not is subjective.

Edited by BadHorse

I think the proper way to describe MLP is that it's lighthearted, cute and simple yet good. I like the style it had and don't want it to be a tryhard Adult Swim cartoon or that cartoon movie Madagascar. 

I think MLP should stay little girl oriented though I mean lot of gamers don't like it when feminists get involved with video games and try to turn it to match their interests especially the ones that were made to target men.

That's their island let's keep it that way of course there wouldn't be anything wrong with bronies joining the island. I mean I wouldn't want it if MLP gets to serious on socio-political messages or try to instill things we relate in life too much like Madagascar or Family Guy (those are really cringey when overused)

Edited by cider float

The cartoon attracted me just the way it is.  I'm quite happy with things the way they are with the odd shout out or reference for the older viewers.  I dread to think what level of hell the cartoon would descend into if they started aiming it purely at Bronies, it just doesn't bear thinking about.

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind if it's geared toward younger girls.  I've said many times before that other shows have done this and still managed to have really good storylines (with one of the most well known being Sailor Moon, a show that I originally thought was going to be some kind of Barbie-esque dress-up show, but turned out to have a dark, complex and actually pretty epic storyline).  The point is, just because a show is geared toward one demographic, doesn't mean it can't be well-written and have complex plotlines.  Don Bluth once said that kids can handle just about anything as long as there's a happy ending.

Edited by SBaby

One of the main reasons the show caught so much attention to adults was because it was a My Little Pony little girl's show that didn't suck. If you asked me the writing is not the best in the world but it's good in the context that it was limited to an audience of little girls. That contrast must be made and that's why I support the idea that the show was meant for little girls. And good writing as I've said before isn't necessarily what make and break a show people enjoy to watch, the show comes with innocence, avoidance of adult subjects and can still be somewhat enjoyable when you don't want to think too much when watching a show. It's like there's games that you just plug in and play and there are games where you have to plan out everything before you even turn the game on. Sometimes we just want to plug in and play, that's MLP for me.

Edited by cider float

At first I read the summarized headline as "Do you think FIM should remain focused on girls" xD

I was like, heck yeah! xD  Cute female ponies for the win!

But after reading the whole question, I would say yes for shifting towards bronies. I think MLP has the potential to become a "mainstream show" that regular adults (other than bronies) primarily enjoy watching. If it means making the show a little bit darker, more serious, adding more adventure plotlines, and saucy ponies to attract a broader and more mature audience, then I'd be all for it. I've always preferred the premiere and finale adventure styled-episodes over the slice of life style, myself.  :P

Even if they were to market the show towards adults/teenagers/bronies, I don't see why little girls couldn't watch it too. Girls love adventure episodes! 

Edited by ElementalFluttershee
  • Brohoof 1

It should not do either of these things as that would be stupid and pointless. It should do what it has been doing the entire time, focus on families. Doesn't matter the gender, doesn't matter the age, anyone can enjoy this show and it should just keep that going. Doing any kind of gender segregation with this show is idiotic and meaningless.

Well it might evolve into a future science fiction explanation of how MLP was created. Well there are a number of hints that cover this in the show that Laren Foust added. Here are some hints: The cutie map is glitches out like if it's running a bootup process at the start of a episode, at the start of the season 6 premiere starlight glimmer plays a electrical transformer sound when we zoom onto her head and of course pinky pie playing the transformers sound when uncurling herself. So are they hinting the truth of MLP?! :)

I'd like it to be gender neutral. But until such a time as women and girls are fully recognized and respected as equal, and until such a time as we can be gender neutral as a race, I think it's for the best the show remain as it is. I don't think the show or it's creators will still be around by the time that goal is met. For now, the feminist-ish themes serve to neutralize gender inequality. However, when gender inequality is neutralized, the show will no longer "need" to change. It will not be considered feminist at that point because there would be no difference between gender tendencies. That's a long way off.