Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

is Spike really a dragon?

colt .45

In the universe of MLP, he's considered to be less than ponies. I don't think he is like a brother, I think he's like a pet.

In Star Wars, the droids are blatantly slaves. Doesn't mean I support slavery or would think it's right to treat sentient robots as less if we ever got there in technology, but it's accurate to the universe of the franchise. I'm not obsessed with making C3PO lesser, it's just the way it is in the movies.

You're taking what I said out of context. All I said was it doesn't prove that he isn't a pet.

The toy creators have forced the writers to put a lot of stuff in the show. Like Alicorn Twi and the existence of Equestria Girls. They used to let the writers do what they want, but after Lauren Faust left, the toy makers have had more control. What they say goes.

What more proof do you need than the fact that Spike became a dog in Equestria Girls?

What context? I quoted the whole post xD

Regardless, those are your statements given logical form. No matter where you used it, it's invalid.

Last I checked, other pets don't talk - in Equestria or in EQG. Now that ain't proof or nothing, just shows you can't take a single difference/similarity and slap a label on.

Edited by Starlight Sky

What context? I quoted the whole post xD

Um, the context of what I'm quoting obviously. You don't actually need to quote that, just read it so you can understand what I'm saying.

Regardless, those are your statements given logical form. No matter where you used it, it's invalid.

Uh, no. You completely misunderstood what I said and I already explained how. I said that him saving the Crystal Empire doesn't mean he's not a pet, not that it makes him a pet.  -_-

Last I checked, other pets don't talk - in Equestria or in EQG. Now that ain't proof or nothing, just shows you can't take a single difference/similarity and slap a label on.

Owlowiscious talks. He's always asking "Who? Who?".  

Actually, according to canon (as established in the season 2 episode "Dragon Quest"), Spike is a pony.  He said so:

Spike: Yes, they are.  And they're better friends than you could ever be.  Now, if you don't back off, you'll see what us ponies do when confronted by a huge group of jerky dragons.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby

Um, the context of what I'm quoting obviously. You don't actually need to quote that, just read it so you can understand what I'm saying.

Uh, no. You completely misunderstood what I said and I already explained how. I said that him saving the Crystal Empire doesn't mean he's not a pet, not that it makes him a pet.  -_-

Owlowiscious talks. He's always asking "Who? Who?".  

Seriously?  :dash:

Those are just other baseless claims. And I actually read those already xD

The structure of your posts are largely, if not exclusively, assertions. There is no real, overarching context.

As for Owlicious speaking... :please:  That's a good one!! xDDD

Thanks for the laughs. I think I'm done here  :bedeyes:

Woah, woah! This thread is for the serious discussion of wether or nor Spike is a dragon. Not the ridiculous notion of Spike being a pet. Spike dose'nt eat out of a bowl on the floor. Twilight does not pour a bag of dragon (...or whatever he is) chow into a bowl and say "here Spiky Spikey" no, he sits at the table with her, orders food off the menu or walks across the table and eats pancakes. He makes nachos when Twilight has guests. Can your pet do that? How about cake? Pets don't bake cake. And neither do dragons!

Woah, woah! This thread is for the serious discussion of wether or nor Spike is a dragon. Not the ridiculous notion of Spike being a pet. Spike dose'nt eat out of a bowl on the floor. Twilight does not pour a bag of dragon (...or whatever he is) chow into a bowl and say "here Spiky Spikey" no, he sits at the table with her, orders food off the menu or walks across the table and eats pancakes. He makes nachos when Twilight has guests. Can your pet do that? How about cake? Pets don't bake cake. And neither do dragons!

In cartoons pets can do anything. You ever seen Sylvester and Tweety? They can do things real pets can't because they don't really exist.

But dragons have longer life spans so, he's like 18 or something and it's just considered being a baby in his lifespan. So being crushed and stuff is okay. :3

I think he's more like 10-12 or something.

In the first episode he was clearly portrayed younger (and even then they still had hilarious abuse with him falling off ladders :P), but I think they developed him to be more like a young adult after that, hence the voice change.

Winona and Spike are treated equally.

they sure aren't...

Winona doesn't talk... She doesn't send letters to Celestia or have crushes (as far as we know)... 

Spike doesn't play fetch, he's overcome an animal instinct and  he can think freely for himself.

I wouldn't say they're treated equally. Spike just gets treated like garbage

Actually, one of the Friends Forever comics shows a town of Dragons in Fillydelphia, and they're all Human-sized and civil, not unlike Spike.

Well, the comics also depict Celestia falling in love with an alternate Sombra and Luna using a T-shirt.

I doubt they could work as a trustworthy source of information/lore/cannon.

• Brohoof 1

I agree. His mentality is that of a human preteen or even a young teenager.

Anyway, yes he is a dragon, but personally I think he's a dragon that is unique than all the other dragons we've seen in the official show. This is because he was raised by ponies. Ponies he had come to see as his real family.

As for the off-topic debate of "Spike being Twilight's pet because of how he becomes a dog in the Equestria Girls world", I say it's pointless. I say it doesn't matter to me whether Spike's a dragon, dog, or human. What's important is that he's Twilight's assistant and friend and in both films, he has contributed to the success of our heroes, no matter how small said contribution has seemed.

As for the off-topic debate of "Spike being Twilight's pet because of how he becomes a dog in the Equestria Girls world", I say it's pointless. I say it doesn't matter to me whether Spike's a dragon, dog, or human. What's important is that he's Twilight's assistant and friend and in both films, he has contributed to the success of our heroes, no matter how small said contribution has seemed.

If a dog contributes to keeping burglars out of a house by barking and causing alarm, they've made a small contribution to help a situation, but they're still pets. Spike's insignificant accomplishments don't make him not a pet.

If a dog contributes to keeping burglars out of a house by barking and causing alarm, they've made a small contribution to help a situation, but they're still pets. Spike's insignificant accomplishments don't make him not a pet.

I never said that Spike is Twilight's pet, I said he's her assistant and friend! This topic is about Spike being a Dragon and I say "Yes!" to that! Even as a dog, Spike is still there for Twilight!

I think that way of putting it doesn't merit him the title of "pet".
Humans aren't considered "less human" just because they haven't solved world hunger or won a Nobel prize or sold a record that wen't Platinum.

I don't think it's the actions that determine the status.

I think that way of putting it doesn't merit him the title of "pet".
Humans aren't considered "less human" just because they haven't solved world hunger or won a Nobel prize or sold a record that wen't Platinum.

I don't think it's the actions that determine the status.

No, but even if Spike does win the Nobel Peace Prize, he'll still be a pet is what I'm saying. Unless he decides to leave Twilight's possession, he'll always be her pet. (Although, he might not ever have a choice to leave now that she's an immortal princess. :P

So you DON'T believe that what makes us greater than dogs is our POTENTIAL to do things that are satisfying on a greater level on the hierarchy of needs? You must be trolling me, Phoenix  B)

I guess I can see your thinking. He was hatched from an egg as a tiny baby dragon thing. Which makes him seem like a pet. He was probably raised as a pet. I hold my defense, though  :D

So you DON'T believe that what makes us greater than dogs is our POTENTIAL to do things that are satisfying on a greater level on the hierarchy of needs? You must be trolling me, Phoenix  B)

I'm saying it's a cartoon so, Spike can be treated as a pet even if he can do the same things as the ponies. It's funny. :P

I guess I can see your thinking. He was hatched from an egg as a tiny baby dragon thing. Which makes him seem like a pet. He was probably raised as a pet. I hold my defense, though  :D

I think he's still treated like a pet. Rarity and Twilight treat him as a mere object. Rarity was confirmed to think of him as being as low as a pin cushion. He's actually less than a pet, he's an object to them.  ;)

To start Spike is a dragon and there are different types of dragons.If he does hibernate it will be much later in his life for he is only a young dragon.This is also why he doesn't have to abilities of the other dragons seen on the show.

Unless he decides to leave Twilight's possession, he'll always be her pet.

You mean like he did in "Spike at Your Service?"

More like an unpaid worker, though.  Spike the intern.

Do me a favor: Point out Spike in this pony pet play date.

post-26550-0-45696500-1430359932_thumb.png

Spike's closer to a secretary than he is to a pet.  I wish I had a friggin' pet that would take dictation.

And it was recently revealed that Spike is a dragon.

Also, dragons are closely related to tortoises.

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby

Spike may be a dragon but right now he is a baby dragon and he is a lot like a pet for Twilight. However, once he's fully grown ponies will begin to realize just how powerful he is.

However, once he's fully grown ponies will begin to realize just how powerful he is.

I'm getting the impression Spike doesn't ever grow up (at least not for the purpose of the show).