Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

'Past Sins' Discussion Thread

Silver Octave

So, just want some people to talk about Past Sins, the most amazing story I've ever read with some of the brony community. I know for sure that ever since then I've been comparing everything I've been reading with that, and so far nothing's beaten it.

The writer's amazing and tells this story like he was actually there. I really appreciate his work and if you HAVEN'T read it, here's the link:http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/07/story-past-sins.html

img-277086-1-Past+Sins+Smaller.png

Octavia's hall is only to be used for posting your own works of art.

If you want to share something you have found while wandering about the internet, then it belongs in Sugarcube Corner.

• 1 year later...

So I recently decided to start realng a semi-popular fan fiction called Past Sins. I have not been able to out this down. It is a long fan fiction, the size of a chapter book. And it has kept my focus for a few days straight. This is already one of my favorite books I have ever read and I feel the need to fan boy about it.

Had anyone else read this book and fanboys it like I do?

• 11 months later...

when i was searching the internet for information on the OC: Nyx, i came across the story Past Sins, and it is the best FanFic i have ever read. the story was portrayed so well, you actually start to care for the characters like all GREAT stories should. i would recommend this to ANYONE that loves a good read and wants to learn more about Nyx. for those that want to read it here's the link for the first chapter  http://www.fimfiction.net/story/41596/1/past-sins/prelude-resurrection and for those out there that have read it before, please tell me what you think about Past Sins. i would love to hear from the fandom

Edited by flamester015

@, I have merged your thread along with a few older threads that were similarly aimed at discussing this particular fan fiction. Please ensure you use the search function before making a thread, just in case one already exists for your desired topic of discussion. :)

Yeah, I finished it a week ago, it was amazing and I loved Nixy as a character and her relationships with the canon characters. It spot of one of the most well known and popular pony fics is well deserving  ;)

So I recently decided to start realng a semi-popular fan fiction called Past Sins. I have not been able to out this down. It is a long fan fiction, the size of a chapter book. And it has kept my focus for a few days straight. This is already one of my favorite books I have ever read and I feel the need to fan boy about it.

Had anyone else read this book and fanboys it like I do?

Well, I actually fanboy over All American Girl instead  :blush:

I just want to say that I think a Past Sins fan film should be made. I have PMed Pen Stroke on this matter and I am still awaiting a reply. But anyway this movie would have a fully orchestrated score, a little like that opening of Children Of The Night. It would also reuse a lot of cues from the first 2 parter.

Maybe Silly Filly Studios (The creators of Snowdrop) could produce animation when I could write and do storyboards.

I was thinking we could use the Twilight Sparkle voice from Double Rainboom as that was near accurate. Although I'm not quite sure who to cast as I do not know that many brony voice actors.

Hello everybody

I'm sure your all familiar with a fanfiction by Pen Stroke known as Past Sins. It is considered to be one of the greatest if not the greatest fanfic ever written. It has been critically acclaimed even by non bronys and feels like a proper professional novel.

Another thing is that the whole book feels incredibly cinematic: much more than Equestria Girls. And I was wondering that after the My Little Dashie movie, Snowdrop and Double Rainboom. That maybe its time for a fan made feature film to come out.

I feel that the film should have a full orchestral score, and have a vintage, shot on film, late 20th century feel to it with the score and color palette. 

I'm not sure about which brony voice actors to cast so maybe you could help out with that.

This is an image of a fan made poster poster for a potential film.

post-30649-0-95112400-1418924832_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arctofire

As a fan of all things artsy, I love the idea of bringing stories to life through visual media. But, for some reason, I would feel wary about this. The story has so much in it, and was such a good read, that I feel like no movie/series could ever do it justice. I'd still watch it, of course. But I feel like it just wouldn't be able to stand alongside the actual story.

Not really a fan of the story. I have contemplated rewriting it for my own personal pleasure as there are elements that work, but honestly it fails several personal tests on what makes a decent story and workable narrative fiction. I would not favor a fan movie of this unless the story is completely retooled. 

• Brohoof 2

As a fan of all things artsy, I love the idea of bringing stories to life through visual media. But, for some reason, I would feel wary about this. The story has so much in it, and was such a good read, that I feel like no movie/series could ever do it justice. I'd still watch it, of course. But I feel like it just wouldn't be able to stand alongside the actual story.

I was thinking about Past Sins: Part 1 and Part 2. But I feel that if a story is split into 2 parts, it looses a lot of its dramatic impact. I think its a story that could just about stand as 1 movie.

There's also a change that I would like to make. At the end of Past Sins Nyx returns to her normal state and turns into a filly again. Now even though I think that's stretching a bit far and was put there so that Stoke could write more about Nyx. I do agree that it works okay for the novel. However as a film I think it would be much better to see Nyx die trying to defend the monsters, and we get an awesome scene that would pay homage to the scene in Star Wars were Luke takes off Vader's mask. 

Edited by Arctofire

TBH it's a good fic but there's been some better reads out there. While i like that it does have an all ages feel it does have a bit lacking overall and missed opportunities. Like a lot of popular fictions it came out early in the fandom, got a lot of great support, and has coasted a bit since. Nothing wrong with that. The campaign to get ppl to make it into a film is a bit hard to fathom when many fan projects of that scope (Journey of the Spark) have fallen short.... It takes much more than "someone should make this" to make a year + project happen.

TBH it's a good fic but there's been some better reads out there. While i like that it does have an all ages feel it does have a bit lacking overall and missed opportunities. Like a lot of popular fictions it came out early in the fandom, got a lot of great support, and has coasted a bit since. Nothing wrong with that. The campaign to get ppl to make it into a film is a bit hard to fathom when many fan projects of that scope (Journey of the Spark) have fallen short.... It takes much more than "someone should make this" to make a year + project happen.

That's a good point. I just looked into Journey Of The Spark as I was previously unaware of it, and it a shame it got cancelled, but I have a way we could get around that.

Lets say, I wrote the script and produced the film. It would have to be after Christmas at least because I have other projects I need to work on. And by at least, I mean at least. Also that project had too many people working on it and was not very efficient on the amount of people it needed. These are the amount of people and people we would need.

The Planned Cast of Journey of the Spark: The cast was very good and as they do not have the Journey of the Spark on there hands, I think they could be good for the parts. The director would decide who would be playing Nyx.

Double Rainboom Team: Double Rainboom had a small team but it managed to create a 30 minute episode in a very short time. Whilst that fan animation was garbage in terms of plot, the team was very skilled at animation, and if you apply that to a good script, you get a good film.

This would likely happen in 2016 or later, because of all the other stuff I need to do; skills I need to learn; and I would need to convince the Double Rainboom team to do the film and find some concept artists and storyboard creators on DeviantArt and discuss with them what would be good for it.

I would also likely be the films editor and if it is not up to scratch at the end. I will fan edit (Something I'm doing at the moment) it to make it better.

Edited by Arctofire

@@Arctofire, following consultation with my colleague @@PathfinderCS, I have merged your thread with another thread designed for the discussion of this particular fan fiction. As the discussion has slightly begun to concern the story itself, and the initial post is similar to your previous post (from the topic with which your new thread is merged), the threads have become rather similar and suitable for merging. Please take care when posting a new thread, just to ensure your discussion doesn't already belong elsewhere. Many thanks and please continue. :)

Interesting. It's hard and tempting to blitz though your comments, just to see your thoughts on this fanfic. I have to admit, i have not read it yet as i'm still trying to finish something else iv'e been digging into, and i'm saving this for right afterwards. Out of pure curiosity, is there anything i should know about this fic?

• Brohoof 1

It's a pretty good fanfiction, but there are much better ones like the Immortal Game, Fallout Equestria, Project Horizons, Background Pony, Solitary Locust, Hard Reset, Asylum, Harmony Theory, The Flight of the Alicorn... seriously, the fanfictions I mentioned (With the exception of perhaps Hard Reset, it's not long enough) are novel quality. I highly suggest reading them all.

Seriously, it's a great fanfiction but I believe it's overrated a teensy bit. It isn't the 'greatest fanfiction of all time', as mentioned there are dozens of higher quality fanfiction with better characters, better plot, better OCs... etc.

Edited by Shift

I read a little bit of it, it doesn't seem too bad. There are some fics though which I think are really awesome, such as Faith & Doubt and Next Generation: Know Fear (the latter has OCs by Kilala97).

Thank you a ton for posting this link I always want something new to read thanks once more :P

chicken_pie_by_deathpwny-d52alyu.gif

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I'd like to address is that if I were in charge of making an animated adaptation of Past Sins, I'd probably have some scenes from the fic removed.

Including Diamond Tiara's parents confronting Twilight and DT and SS appearing at Nyx's party.

Not really a fan of the story. I have contemplated rewriting it for my own personal pleasure as there are elements that work, but honestly it fails several personal tests on what makes a decent story and workable narrative fiction. I would not favor a fan movie of this unless the story is completely retooled.

So what's the Jeric criteria? xD

I am curious what parts you'd change. I mean, I get that it was a bit over-indulgent on the author's part, but I don't think anything is wrong with the story in principle. If there's any changes you would have made, I'd like to hear them.

One thing I would change is I'd remove the monster fighting scene in the end. I'd remove or rework the judgement chapter at the end, too. Other than that, I can't think of much else.

Edited by Regulus