Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Well, that's just like, your opinion, man."

Fender

So, with all these shite debates about the riots going on, I thought I'd go off-topic and note on something that bugs me.

When I'm talking about anything, anything at all, in a very calm manner, and often in a friendly form of debate...it comes up every once and awhile. The statement "well, that's your opinion." Fuck. That. Noise. From friend, family, stranger or otherwise, that is the most annoying, asinine thing ever. As if someone is unaware of their own opinions, and such a snide way to tell them, too. It's like saying "Since you're clearly too out of control with your own beliefs, I will have to now passive-aggressively remind you that I think you're wrong." And I'd like to imagine that that statement is often followed by them looking upward with this snobbish smile.

Of course, that last sentence is an exaggeration, but am I alone in this?

• Brohoof 11

It's basically someone saying "I don't have any way to refute your argument, therefor I'm going to pretend that everything you say on the matter is subjective, and all evidence you've proposed is invalid."

It's really infuriating when you're knee-deep in a debate, and the other person cuts it off like that. Rather than simply admitting they're wrong, or even agreeing to disagree(which is fine if the argument is grey and both sides have supporting evidence for their claims).

• Brohoof 6

Indeed, it's very annoying to hear or see that. I always feel the need to point out that by that logic, whatever points they're making or trying to make are their opinion.

• Brohoof 2

It boils down to pride. People don't want to be wrong so bad that they prefer to be in error even when all evidence proves otherwise. At that point it's better to walk away than to continue debating; it will be fruitless. Once the argument boils down to "Well, it's your opinion" by the opposing side, it will be like running in a hamster wheel: You'll be going no where fast.

• Brohoof 5

Yeah, that can be annoying.  That phrase is stating the obvious, and it's usually done in such as way as to imply that they think you're wrong, and that your opinion has no validity.  Kind of rude.  It would be better to just say, "Well, I disagree."  I'll add a related tangent to this discussion--some people argue that opinions, by definition, can never be wrong.  I disagree.  I've always been a believer that opinions can, in fact, be wrong.  Example:  if I said, "In my opinion, people with *blank* colored skin are inferior to people with *blank* colored skin," then I would be wrong.  Or you could be like Peggy Hill and state known facts as opinions.  "The day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, one of the busiest shopping days of the year."  -Peggy

• Brohoof 2

It just brings the debate to a pointless standstill as if they have said "you are wrong, everything you said has been irrelevant" it really ticks me off that people use this instead of their own argument

• Brohoof 1

The other side of this would be when people seemingly treat their opinion as though it were irrefutable fact.  A thoroughly explained or fervently defended opinion is still just an opinion.  For example: Infantile "debates" waged in the Youtube comments section of practically anything.  Particularly when it pertains to music; something inherently subjective.

• Brohoof 2

My response to that is 'well no shit, that's what we're discussing'. The statement is meant to imply that only a minority of people hold this kind of opinion about a particular subject, a sort of pseudo-appeal-to-popularity fallacy, and doesn't actually make an argument, but is more or less of a way of saying 'whatever, that's what you wanna believe, I don't care, discussion over'. There's no point continuing the debate as soon as someone says this.

Maddox did an article about this phrase a while ago, it's worth reading if you haven't yet http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=boiling_blood

If I've gone to the trouble to research and provide evidence for a point I'm backing and then someone says "well that's just you're opinion", it makes me feel like I've been wasting my time arguing with a wall. I'll admit when I'm wrong or if I run out of proof or even shift stances on issues, but one thing I'll never do is claim that something someone's arguing about is just their opinion unless it really is. By which, I mean their argument isn't backed up my any form of rational thought or hard evidence or it's truly subjective.

Opinions aren't valued equally nor are all opinions valid. Opinions are only as valuable as the reasoning and evidence behind them. Even if my argument is "just my opinion", it's clearly proven to be a more valid opinion considering they had to resort to that dirty tactic to try to disengage from the debate.

• Brohoof 1

I agree that it is annoying when people just say "It's your opinion" It makes it seem like I'm right and they don't agree or just a annoying way to say they think you're wrong but in a stupid way. 

• Brohoof 1

It reminds me of the other common statement "O yeah? Lets see if you can make something better." as a way to dismiss any criticism towards something (often games from what I've seen).

So by that logic, if you have not done such thing you have no reason to complain about anything about a game no matter the severity of the issue.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

It reminds me of the other common statement "O yeah? Lets see if you can make something better." as a way to dismiss any criticism towards something (often games from what I've seen)..

Indeed, that's very annoying. I've seen those comments all over YouTube.

Yeah, maybe I can't do any better, but that doesn't mean I can't point out flaws or make constructive criticism towards whatever I'm criticizing. Straight up complaining is a different story, but if you're trying to point out flaws to help the creator(s), then there's no need for such a stupid retort.

Edited by Mint Drop
  • Brohoof 1

*Sighs* I'll agree it's annoying. It's a response to not knowing what to say and being afraid of losing. I'll admit that I've used that term on occasions myself toward aggressive arguments against me. It's either that or I drop out if I feel overwhelmed. I tend to do the latter the most. Then again I know when I'm defeated and most times of it's something I know little about, I can accept defeat really quick.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Gee, I feel terrible now. When someone possibly disagrees with me that's something I've used before. I'll say "(blank)" and then a friend may say "Well, but (blank)" and then I'll go "Well, that's your opinion, and I respect that." I say it because I respect what they have to say but it may not necessarily be something I agree with. If doing that really is that rude then I'm terribly sorry, honestly. That's the only time I use it though is when someone disagrees with me but I don't agree with them.

At any other point when there's a disagreement I do my best to hear and even see the positive of what they're saying, and try to agree. Sometimes that doesn't always work though. :c

Edited by Felix

The only time I can imagine a proper time to say that is when it involves some one objectifying a completely subjective thing. 

• Brohoof 2

"Well, but (blank)" and then I'll go "Well, that's your opinion, and I respect that."

When worded like that, I can't see an issue with it. Often people aren't as respectful about it, though. .-.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

And to think, it's even more ironic when people shove their opinions in your face. And when you share your own for a bit of friendly discussion it happens. Such irony, I'll never understand.  :wat:

Yeah I actually agree there. I hate those times when your having a friendly discussion about something and the jack off flavor of the week decides to jump in and blast his opinion in your face, saying your wrong and he is right. I'd rather be in a debate where I can expect that stuff to happen, not out of fucking no where. I get very pissed off when I'm blindsided by stuff like that.

Edited by Vemillia Nightshade
  • Brohoof 1

When worded like that, I can't see an issue with it. Often people aren't as respectful about it, though. .-.

Oh okay. Because I try to be really nice about it. I don't want to be disrespectful in what I say. D:

• Brohoof 1