Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia - comics vs show (not sure where to put this)

colt_following

I think the comics section might be more appropriate but...
Celestia from the comics seems to be a completely different pony than she is in the show.

In the show she nearly NEVER makes mistakes, is perfect, and basically is God as well as the benevolent dictator of Equestria.

In comics she has a lot more free-will and quite frankly doesn't seem quite as wise or as elderly as her tv counterpart. She makes a few more brash decisions and is willing to take risks for her own pleasure or for others.

I find it odd! The comic Celestia is a pony I feel I can relate to sometimes.

Edited by colt_following
  • Brohoof 5

You have to remember that comic books and TV shows are different mediums with very different structure and rules, with TV shows made are watched by a number of people at a time while comic books are mainly read individually.

In this case, Celestia is meant to merely act as a mentor, provide exposition and get the plot moving in the Show while the Comics are allowed to make her a deeper, somewhat more complex character because they can do more with her.

Remember: comparing a cartoon to a comic book can be an apples and oranges situation sometimes (just ask the X Men, the Teen Titans, and even the Ninja Turtles)

Edited by Jangobadass
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

In this case, Celestia is meant to merely act as a mentor, provide exposition and get the plot moving in the Show while the Comics are allowed to make her a deeper, somewhat more complex character because they can do more with her.

This makes sense. But then I think that's the problem! Being able to get more exposition on who she really is beyond being the "universal mother" character sort of makes me view her as a separate character between the two media.

I guess part of it is that her character has seemingly few similarities between the two.

In the show, the writers HAVE to give a lesson, and Celestia often seems to be around for that. In the comics, Celestia doesn't need to hear lessons the ponies have learned, so she doesn't have to be the mother... she's more of just another pony!

more like a leader/ruler, less like a god, I suppose.

Edited by colt_following
  • Brohoof 1

I guess in the show, Celestia has to be this perfect mother-figure to the Mane 6 (especially Twilight) and has to guide them when ever a tough villain comes up (and she always leaves it up to the Mane 6 to actually fight the villain though).

In the comics I guess the writers are not under any obligation to do that so they can do whatever they want with Celestia.

• Brohoof 2

To me Celestia is a much more interesting character in the comics than in the show; and that's not to say that I do not like Celestia in the show. Quite the opposite; I love her there to, but the characterization we have of her in the Reflections arc, the Celestia/Spike FF, and even the Luna micro has done wonders for her, IMO.

Granted opinions do vary, but that's mine. :)

• Brohoof 2

I am supremely confused as to how anyone could possibly associate Celesita with the word "perfect," especially after Twilight's Kingdom, where it was her own shoddy decision-making which allowed Tirek to drain the magic of nearly every last one of her subjects.  >_>

Celestia "never makes mistakes, and is perfect?" I think you have your princesses confused, because that's pretty much Twilight you're describing. Celestia has been pretty damn far from perfect since A Canterlot Wedding. 

• Brohoof 6

I am supremely confused as to how anyone could possibly associate Celesita with the word "perfect," especially after Twilight's Kingdom, where it was her own shoddy decision-making which allowed Tirek to drain the magic of nearly every last one of her subjects.  >_>

Celestia "never makes mistakes, and is perfect?" I think you have your princesses confused, because that's pretty much Twilight you're describing. Celestia has been pretty damn far from perfect since A Canterlot Wedding. 

You're right in all these points. I know I DIDN'T point those ones out, esp. not the Canterlot Wedding. It's more of this grand perception where she is treated as this godly, motherly, perfect creature (while she's not perfect, but no one acknowledges her shortcomings). Meanwhile, in the comics, she seems to be a lot more capable of error and making decisions. She doesn't seem to be treated as if she is absolutely perfect at all times.

• Brohoof 1

I think the key to Celestia's differing behaviors in the show and the comics boils down to continuity. When Celestia was first introduced, she was meant to be the sole ruler of Equestria. As such, she was regal and (almost) flawless. She was the epitome of an ideal ruler, as was her design. Though other princesses were added over time, Celestia was already established as "the mother of Equestria" so to speak, and was bound by continuity to remain that way. The comics were designed as a way of exploring the universe of MLP beyond the show. As such, they are not strictly bound to the show's continuity, which gives the writers much more creative leeway when interpreting the characters. Since the comics are not (show) canon, the writers can pretty much do whatever they want with the characters (so long as their interpretations don't fall into the category of character assassination), which has resulted in this more relatable, fleshed out interpretation of Celesia's character.

• Brohoof 1

Another thing: the Show has to mainly focus on the Mane 6 and those closest to them, so there's no time to properly focus on Celestia enough to really develop her the way the comics are able to.

Some other characters are in a similar situation of getting more depth/build up in the Comic than the Show (Shining Armor, Sunset Shimmer and even Spike come to mind)

• Brohoof 1

I have to think of the comparison of these two as if looking at alternate dimensions of each other. In one world, they are one way and in the other... well

This way it doesn't drive us mad but personally I like the comic version better... at least for her character.

Edited by Argumedies

I agree with you on that. Come to think of it, most of the main characters are a bit different than their show counterparts.

AJ and Fluttershy are about as close as you could get in writing.

Rarity is tough because a lot of her attitude is in her tone of voice and now it has to become more visual...

Twilight is more nerdy in the comic

Pinkie gets more exposure and is FAR more useful.. Something I long for in the show

Rainbow is far less extreme and aloof in her attitude. I think she's written the least like her show counterpart.

Well, look at the difference in how IMPORTANT the characters are in the show and comics now. Celestia has, sadly, been almost completely sidelined in the show. She really has little to no impact on the plot or interaction with the mane six anymore.

Since they turned Twilight into a princess and Celestia declared her her equal, one of Celestia's big links to the mane six in normal episodes has been severed, and they also have cadence acting as a big sister mentor, further decreasing her need to mentor Twilight. As such, really, how often do you expect to see her do anything besides just a rubber stamp appearance?

In the comics on the other hand, they've managed to make sure that she FEELS important. They focused on her role as a teacher to more than just twilight in her micro and the spike/celestia micro, as well as giving us world building about her school, something that's almost never been touched on in the show. They've given her more flexibility to enter and leave the story, and they've also had her shown to deal with alot more events in history via the comics.

While I will admit she's not as wise as the show version, I'll take her actually APPEARING and being less wise than being 100% wise and never being seen again.

I agree with you on that. Come to think of it, most of the main characters are a bit different than their show counterparts.

AJ and Fluttershy are about as close as you could get in writing.
Rarity is tough because a lot of her attitude is in her tone of voice and now it has to become more visual...
Twilight is more nerdy in the comic
Pinkie gets more exposure and is FAR more useful.. Something I long for in the show
Rainbow is far less extreme and aloof in her attitude. I think she's written the least like her show counterpart.

I'm actually of the opposite view of RD :/

In the comics she seems far more zany and off kilter than in the show. She comes up with insane ideas (like the "We get a giant ray to shoot me with then I fly us to the moon!" line from the nightmarity plotline), and she's constantly talking about wanting to go on adventures and get into fights. She comes off more as a giant comic book nerd who wants to be a real life super hero than her more grounded focus on wanting to be a wonderbolt in the show.

either way, I think by far the one who's REALLY different is luna. Comic luna is basically Brian blessed as a girl and as a pony. In the show she's been far more reserved and, past Luna eclipsed, has never jumped off kilter.

post-33206-0-01608300-1430543501_thumb.jpg