Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What was your first job?

kelseymarie805

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

My first job was as an overnight stocker at a grocery store. I worked there for about four and a half years.

Did I like it? Not particularly. I was good at it, I was fast and accurate and managers and coworkers took notice and told me and it gave me a boost in confidence that I needed because I have always felt like an overall incompetent individual.  However, then I learned that working hard doesn't get you reward, it only gets you more work. It being my first job (and the insecurity mentioned before), I had a very naive "gotta work as hard as I possibly can" mindset that only got me into trouble.

Shortly after the managers noticed how fast I was and my work ethic, more and more work started getting put on me versus many of my coworkers and it wore me down. I became so burnt-out and I'm not sure I have completely recovered to this day. I feel like that job gave me an attitude, it made me much more impatient and grouchy and I'm sad about that. I noticed that some coworkers were allowed to be lazy and call-in a lot, but I wasn't. I called in one day when I was very sick (I never called in aside from this), I brought in a doctor's note and the manager later called me back to the office and had literally made up some other absences that weren't real and gave me a "slap on the wrist". I was frightened. So frightened that when my ex invited me to an event I had to decline because I knew that if I called in from my job I might lose it... and that, well, that didn't end well for me did it? Thank you, job. I still think my decline of that was a tipping point to us being together.

(To be fair to the company, I later came back, but on a different shift. This was after I became chronically ill and I had to go on many, many leaves. They had so much patience with me. I appreciate them for that. And not all managers were like the one that called me back that night.)

There was one more thing about the job: It was overnights. I hated working nights so much. Having to sleep during the day was such a drag. I never did it very well, I was so happy when I left the job to return to college because it meant going back to a normal schedule.

Burger King, it was okay but there be problem. There times I wear no socks, no socks or have them still wouldn't stop my feet having bad smell cos after mop floor include changing room, had my feet on the floor and cleaning chimeal still on the floor but that problem when getting change. I don't like going home in my work clothes. Customers are important bur serious do you have to put up with some of them? there two who had problem with me.  

And the staffs and bosses, I do get along with them but do fell out with them  alot mainly cos things at work can be frusrating and sticking with some customer. Some staffs and boss start with flirting with girls and even few show up for a chat, and it annoying. I been critzied for being not pulling a lady as I meant to go there for work. And there football (soccer) banter, and I hate it, like when my team lost or lost a player, I'm not having it. Other fall out, I may mention is work and have we should get along but they are p***ing me off. I never get thing I got told off that wasn't my fault. Also what p**** me off is they rang to work on my day off, last two they did I got mad, I called in and it was for the same person, I heard one of the day I call in a guy cut himself instead of first aid blaster and carry on he sent home, I just arrived from home after church and walk about in town and an idiot call me in. Paid rubbish as it's weekly. 

Also it closed down cos Burger King was in coach station and coach company struggling with bills for having burger kings and fall out with Burger Kings company. So lost my job and took a year and 4 months to find 2nd job and it was diffult and frusrating, maybe abit lucky with having getting a job, which is beter abit. I do have some people I can't stand and bad memories, but monthly pay and never get called in on my holidays. Wasn't too bothered when I lost my first job, and never think it get worst, and my parents bother me, thought get a job will be fine but still my parnets still at me even I got a job. I don't miss it and when I think of it my smelly bad feet, bad memories, some annoying customers, fellow staffs and bosses and staffs from head office.

Edited by BritishBrony2012

This warehouse job handling a lot of electronics and accessories. Oof, most boring job ever. I was 20 and everybody else was a much older population…. And Cuban, so I couldn’t understand their accent well :wacko: . I was just there less than a couple of months.

First ever job was working in a refrigerated warehouse as a stock controller, when I was 18. Absolutely mind-numbing work, the pay was awful, and the shift times were really odd too (3-10pm). Not to mention that as it was a warehouse refrigerated to 5c, you were constantly cold for those seven hours.

Don't know how people stay in jobs like that. I truly have a shit ton of respect for them.

Edited by daviddaviddavid