Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fimfiction, are people too focused on perfection?

BlinkZ

It can be hard to fully enjoy a story if there are grammatical errors. While it may be able to be read, it often takes away from any immersion the story might have had. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism; it's there to help you improve your stories. :)

• Brohoof 4

I don't mind grammar or spelling corrections in a comment. What I don't like is when someone tells you how you should have written the ending. I don't mean a critique of my writing. I mean just saying "No, you meant this, not that." I've even had someone post complete details about a surprise plot twist, spoiling the story for other readers. Then they complained bitterly because I deleted their spoiler post.

Oh gosh, I hate that!  My readers are great, but one of them kept insisting that I not kill off this character who more or less had to die simply as a plot-device.  This character had barely even been in any of the fic, but this guy kept insisting that I go back, rewrite it so that he lives, and make an entire subplot that I hadn't planned where he gets redeemed and plays an important role in the larger universe.  I kept saying as nicely as I could over and over again that this just wasn't a part of the plan for the fic's plot, but he just didn't listen.

• Brohoof 2

I don't mind grammar or spelling corrections in a comment. What I don't like is when someone tells you how you should have written the ending. I don't mean a critique of my writing. I mean just saying "No, you meant this, not that." I've even had someone post complete details about a surprise plot twist, spoiling the story for other readers. Then they complained bitterly because I deleted their spoiler post.

Oh gosh, I hate that!  My readers are great, but one of them kept insisting that I not kill off this character who more or less had to die simply as a plot-device.  This character had barely even been in any of the fic, but this guy kept insisting that I go back, rewrite it so that he lives, and make an entire subplot that I hadn't planned where he gets redeemed and plays an important role in the larger universe.  I kept saying as nicely as I could over and over again that this just wasn't a part of the plan for the fic's plot, but he just didn't listen.

If there's one thing that you can't really criticize with fairness it's the content of a work. You aren't the artist and you have no standard to base a criticism on except your own emotions. Grammar errors are easy to point out because people know what the rules are.

I haven't written in a good while myself. I never felt like I was good enough at it. This topic reminds me of my foolhardy attempts at brushing aside criticism. :P

Correction and constructive criticism is supposed to be gold for writers.  Yes, it can be cold and hard, but it's still gold! If a person can't take a correction of their work, they simply won't grow much as a writer -- period. In generally, people who comment on grammar errors aren't being jerks; they are actually being nice enough to help with the growth process. As a writer myself, I want critique. Does it hurt my pride? -- Yes, it really does. But despite how it may feel, it's actually a good thing! If you think you are at the height of perfection, you can't get better as a writer. Constructive criticism can knock you off of your high horse to see how much you have to go. But at the same time, it takes you a step higher in your skill as a writer. I would liken it to pruning a rose; If you want to bloom as a writer, some bad writing habits have to be cut off. Just adding my two cents.

• Brohoof 2

It can be hard to fully enjoy a story if there are grammatical errors. While it may be able to be read, it often takes away from any immersion the story might have had. There's nothing wrong with constructive criticism; it's there to help you improve your stories. :)

I can take critism, as this thread as done more then it job of barating me about it...I was more finding how some commenters would qhote tiny and i mean minor miss spells and qhote the. Yeah it's nice and yes that what an editor is for but still feels like they didn't care for a story.

Sigh, maybe making this thread was a mistake.

Thread was definitely not a mistake. It's a good thread. You bought up a good subject. I'm glad you did it, even if wasn't quite what you hoped for. You pulled some knowledge out of folk that was shared :)

• Brohoof 2